Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Is the Twilight Zone table really buggy? Anytime I got a multiball for that table, the camera would stay stuck on the ball plunger thing instead of focusing on the table.

Horribly, and in more ways than just that.

Ryuga Death posted:

Seriously? How bad are we talking about?

Any other season one table problems I should be aware of? Also, why hasn't Farsight fixed these issues?

It goes to crap (perhaps platform dependent) once you reach Lost in the Zone.

There's threads about lots of issues with the table on their forums.
http://pinballarcadefans.com/forumdisplay.php/49-Twilight-Zone-%281993%29?s=b4e84b7311590816f83e228d800bf46f

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Tony Phillips posted:

Horribly, and in more ways than just that.

Any other season one table problems I should be aware of? Also, why hasn't Farsight fixed these issues?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ryuga Death posted:

Because Farsight is like 1 dude and his dog and the dog is in charge of UI stuff.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

But it's a pretty intuitive dog to be fair.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

tonedef131 posted:

I just downloaded pinbot and played a few games. More than half my balls have gone directly down the left drain after bouncing around the pop bumpers where they land after launch. I don't think it has anything to do with the skill shot since it seems to end up in the pop bumpers regardless of which hole you hit. Are you supposed to have to nudge the thing or what?

I've heard of people selling off their real-world Pin*Bots because of that loving bumper-to-outlane combo.

Pin*Bot and I are not friends and I never really have figured out why it became so popular.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eegah posted:

I've heard of people selling off their real-world Pin*Bots because of that loving bumper-to-outlane combo.

Pin*Bot and I are not friends and I never really have figured out why it became so popular.

It's one of the most beautiful tables out there and unlike bride the scoring isn't poo poo. That's my excuse for loving it anyway.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Eegah posted:

If I had one, I'd stretch a rubber band across the posts that border the outlane.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Eegah posted:

Great art and sound package, and the lighting is great on it too. I'm also a fan of difficult games, so the obnoxious outlanes are a plus. The video of Lyman Sheats getting bested by a houseball in a huge tournament on Jackbot is one of the best instances of Pin*Bot bein Pin*Bot.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Got bored after work, made my DMD/speaker panel.

Need to get a round off bit for my router to fix the inside edges but I'm happy with it.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Worn coil sleeve, worn flipper bushing, weak return spring, mushroomed coil plunger or a combination of the above.

Unscrew the coil stop and slide the coil off the plunger. Check the plunger and coil stop for mushrooming. Replace the coil sleeve. Remove the return spring and wiggle the flipper to check the bushing. It should move smoothly and without resistance. Replace the return spring with a new one. Both coil stops sleeves and return springs are less than a dollar each, or you can get a complete flipper rebuild kit for both flippers that includes new springs, sleeves, plungers, coil stops, EoS switches etc.

e: I meant sleeves are less than a dollar. The stops aren't expensive either but you don't need to replace that unless it's damaged. Sleeves and springs are practically consumables.

So, it turns out that all of those have been replaced recently. We're thinknig maybe it's an electrical issue of some sort of maybe dirty opto switches. The flipper sticking is worse when you hold the flipper up for a long time versus just tapping it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jewce posted:

So, it turns out that all of those have been replaced recently. We're thinknig maybe it's an electrical issue of some sort of maybe dirty opto switches. The flipper sticking is worse when you hold the flipper up for a long time versus just tapping it.
It could be the opto interrupter sticking as well.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Nurge posted:

You don't have to nudge at all on any Zen table.

I guess this is true but won't you be giving up lots of balls to outlanes/sdtm drains without nudging? I mean, no zen table is as nudge necessary as something like Big Shot but to not nudge at all sounds wasteful. Also, death saves are fun (and easy) to pull off on some of the zen tables.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Collateral Damage posted:

It could be the opto interrupter sticking as well.

The real way to see if it's that is just going into switch test mode. See if the flipper button stays active for a second after you release it. Also, it's possible that the flipper solonoid or the plunger has gotten magnetized. I haven't seen it happen in a flipper before, but it's possible. Which flipper is it, a lower, an upper, or both?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Joiny posted:

I guess this is true but won't you be giving up lots of balls to outlanes/sdtm drains without nudging? I mean, no zen table is as nudge necessary as something like Big Shot but to not nudge at all sounds wasteful. Also, death saves are fun (and easy) to pull off on some of the zen tables.

Yeah the problem with Zen is that you can go infinite on just about every Zen table so even trying to save balls is pointless since you'll be sitting there till you get tired of the table anyway. There are only two exceptions I can think of offhand.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 1, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nurge posted:

Yeah the problem with zen is that you can go infinite on just about every Zen table so even trying to save balls is pointless since you'll be sitting there till you get tired of the table anyway. There are only two exceptions I can think of offhand.

I have got to learn to play the way you guys play. Nudging on Zen tables doesn't seem to do anything (compared to TPA), so I lose balls all the time. :saddowns:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

I have got to learn to play the way you guys play. Nudging on Zen tables doesn't seem to do anything (compared to TPA), so I lose balls all the time. :saddowns:

The Zen nudging is actually somewhat more realistic than TPA as far as ball trajectory goes since you can only really alter it if the ball is touching a table feature. Of course the warnings reset so it isn't progressive so it's not realistic in that way.

e: Another big problem with Zen is that there are very very few tables where the ball is even able to go SDTM if your flipper play is good. That coupled with the stupid kickbacks on a lot of tables means that it takes some real work to ever drain a ball. There are a handful of tables that are actually better, but overall the game is just frustrating since you can just keep pounding it forever and ever.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 1, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nurge posted:

The Zen nudging is actually somewhat more realistic than TPA as far as ball trajectory goes since you can only really alter it if the ball is touching a table feature. Of course the warnings reset so it isn't progressive so it's not realistic in that way.

e: Another big problem with Zen is that there are very very few tables where the ball is even able to go SDTM if your flipper play is good. That coupled with the stupid kickbacks on a lot of tables means that it takes some real work to ever drain a ball. There are a handful of tables that are actually better, but overall the game is just frustrating since you can just keep pounding it forever and ever.

Plus, Zen tables all have very generous ball-save timers.

On a different note, Pin-bot is a whiny jerk. If he didn't hang out in the bad part of town, I'd pick him up in my taxi more often. :argh:

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Nurge posted:

Yeah the problem with Zen is that you can go infinite on just about every Zen table so even trying to save balls is pointless since you'll be sitting there till you get tired of the table anyway. There are only two exceptions I can think of offhand.

Oh I see what you're saying now. Ya, I'd have to agree that on the zen tables you can pretty much go forever because of how generous they are. Like on the Excalibur table, you can pound the Merlin ramp all day to get extra balls and something like 15-25 million points for completing the 'quest' but that gets tiring quick.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I can play Paranormal until the cows come home, but Empire Strikes Back gives me some problems, man.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
What's with the mixed art quality in Pinball Arcade? The playfield is always good quality which I assume means they were scanned but some odd bits are really low quality and then strange things like the backbox in Scared Stiff looking terrible. Plastic seems to be the worst, No Good Gofers is a real eyesore.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah, the playfields are scanned and everything else can be chalked up to Farsight employing terrible artists.

The quality of the models also vary wildly between platforms; mobile generally looks a lot worse than consoles/PC.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

Took me a while to "get" V12, but it is a pretty hard table and can be frustrating. Rewards smart play.

Love Ms Splosion Man, and it's possibly the easiest table Zen makes. For some reason the voice-overs don't make me angry, and they really should. Lots of pink, but also lots of points and extra balls.

'Cotton Candy Panda' is emblazoned on my brain. The progression is pretty good as Ms moves up the table, but there are relatively few shots to perfect and once you have the orbits down you can control it pretty well.

I think it's easier to say what I don't like, as the FX2 tables are solid, if a little odd at times.

'Masters of the force' feels tedious to me. The holocron targets need a consistent hit within a relatively short timeframe and I have no idea how the skillshot is supposed to work.

'V12' is pretty boring, as the progression takes some effort to get to, with the upper and lower fields separated with drop targets that reset on a drain.

'Shaman' annoys me because you have to hit three targets in order, and the third one is a multiple trigger. Everything else is okay, with the sound progression as you move through being decent.

'A New Hope' annoys me because the voice talent was obviously attempting to sound nasal rather than doing a decent Mark Hamill impression that comes across as bizarre.

Strangely, I don't have a problem with Plants Vs Zombies, there's a bunch of variety in the modes, but the 'Crazy <whatever> shop' is a bitch to get off before triggering another mode and having it reset.

'Rome' I can't stand. I have no idea, but it just feels tedious trying to hit the targets that it needs.

'Civil War' I believe has the habitrails ending just above the flippers which means that you have to anticipate when to hit by instinct rather than observation.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Both V12 and Shaman look pretty intimidating till you realize that you can just combo for way more points than you could ever get otherwise, and in the case of shaman just go volcano forever. Rome's biggest problem is that it has a 100M hurryup and there's no real reason to ever shoot for anything else since it eclipses all the other stuff on the table. Scoring balancing fuckups like that are Zen's biggest issues as far as table longevity goes overall, and they're present in some form on almost all their tables.

Civil War's problem is that the ruleset is just totally incomprehensible till you've played the table for like 10 hours, and then you realize there's really not all that much to do. Also, combo forever again.

e: That said, V12 is actually sadly one of the better offerings simply because it's somewhat challenging to keep a ball in play for extended periods.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 6, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hav posted:

'Masters of the force' feels tedious to me. The holocron targets need a consistent hit within a relatively short timeframe and I have no idea how the skillshot is supposed to work.

I got the skill shot once -- you have to shoot past the marker a tiny, tiny amount (detectable with electron microscope) and then have the ball fall back to Luke. It's not worth it; just write it off as impossible.

Hav posted:

'Civil War' I believe has the habitrails ending just above the flippers which means that you have to anticipate when to hit by instinct rather than observation.

They drop the ball on the very tip of the flippers, so you have zero roll and zero time to react. :smith:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Does anyone have tips for how to start the Gold Rush Multiball on Whitewater? This feels like a table I would like, but I didn't want to put a ton of time into it until I could move on to the Wizard Goals. Well, that's a moot point now. I have had games of Whitewater go for 30 minutes and racked up ridiculous scores and STILL never gotten this loving Multiball. There seems to be absolutely no reliable way to hit this spot, it's totally up to chance. Sometimes it will launch out of the Boulder Garden and hit it, sometimes it will bounce off a slingshot and hit it, sometimes the ball will fall just right onto the right flipper and let you get it in there. One thing's for sure, however it goes in there, I can never reliably duplicate it. It's one of the tightest and most finicky shots I've seen in The Pinball Arcade, if it doesn't hit it just right it won't go in and will often drain. Even when I get two items from Bigfoot, I'll still find a way to NEVER hit Gold Mine and activate the mode.

Since I started trying to get this goal in earnest, I have learned to hate this table. I hate the stupid loving "Howdy partner" sound effects. I hate the stupid loving boulder garden that launches balls directly into the outlanes. I hate the stupid loving targets at the top that make the ball go straight down the middle with no chance of saving them. I hate that it's a DMD era game with no ball save when you launch. And most of all I hate the stupid loving hidden mine that is almost impossible to hit.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tato posted:

Does anyone have tips for how to start the Gold Rush Multiball on Whitewater? This feels like a table I would like, but I didn't want to put a ton of time into it until I could move on to the Wizard Goals. Well, that's a moot point now. I have had games of Whitewater go for 30 minutes and racked up ridiculous scores and STILL never gotten this loving Multiball. There seems to be absolutely no reliable way to hit this spot, it's totally up to chance. Sometimes it will launch out of the Boulder Garden and hit it, sometimes it will bounce off a slingshot and hit it, sometimes the ball will fall just right onto the right flipper and let you get it in there. One thing's for sure, however it goes in there, I can never reliably duplicate it. It's one of the tightest and most finicky shots I've seen in The Pinball Arcade, if it doesn't hit it just right it won't go in and will often drain. Even when I get two items from Bigfoot, I'll still find a way to NEVER hit Gold Mine and activate the mode.

Since I started trying to get this goal in earnest, I have learned to hate this table. I hate the stupid loving "Howdy partner" sound effects. I hate the stupid loving boulder garden that launches balls directly into the outlanes. I hate the stupid loving targets at the top that make the ball go straight down the middle with no chance of saving them. I hate that it's a DMD era game with no ball save when you launch. And most of all I hate the stupid loving hidden mine that is almost impossible to hit.

Been a while since I played that table much but I don't really remember aiming for that shot that often. Bigfoot bonuses combined with the random ricochet. More of less just what you're doing I'm afraid.

(For the record, I think one of the wizard goals for that table is one of the hardest in all of TPA. Screw the five way combo. Screw it really hard.)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Pasha is my favorite PFX2 table just for the goofy voiceover. I always thought his "wow!" would make a great SMS tone. Rome is my least favorite. Too many gimmicks.

Similarly I can play Creature From the Black Lagoon and Medieval Madness forever because of their dumb, awesome voice samples. The "Move your car!" sequence is incredible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Randallteal posted:

Similarly I can play Creature From the Black Lagoon and Medieval Madness forever because of their dumb, awesome voice samples. The "Move your car!" sequence is incredible.

Monster Bash and Scared Stiff are also just "charming" to me.

Edit: And Attack From Mars. Favorite quotes: "Mama mia, the Martians are straightening the Tower of Pisa!" and "Get your hands off me, all four of them!"

prefect fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 7, 2014

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Hey Tony, do you do any of the tournaments they have around town? The Mortimer's one draws a pretty good crowd, with top prize usually being about $100. Last Sunday of every month. The people are mostly cool, you should check it out some time. Blainbrook had one tonight, and I'd like to make it to these out of habit.

I think you'd do pretty well.

Do we have any IFPA players around here? I was intimidated by the tournaments, but it's a lot of fun, even for a marginal player like me.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

Hey Tony, do you do any of the tournaments they have around town? The Mortimer's one draws a pretty good crowd, with top prize usually being about $100. Last Sunday of every month. The people are mostly cool, you should check it out some time. Blainbrook had one tonight, and I'd like to make it to these out of habit.

I think you'd do pretty well.

Do we have any IFPA players around here? I was intimidated by the tournaments, but it's a lot of fun, even for a marginal player like me.

Never have, but sounds like a good enough reason to finally go to Mortimer's. (Still haven't.) I think the last Sunday this month is the same day Lloyd is planning a thank you get together for the people that donated to the remodel though.

Just checked Blainebrook's site - looks like they do two a month? A bit further away, and tonight's not possible, but I've been meaning to get up there again someday.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
How are tourney players around the country? Around here, they're really spergy. Like "I hit the drop target but it didn't go down, but it should have gone down, so I really scored 5000 points more than that!" kind of spergy. I totally understand what those guys are saying, but, well, everyone plays on the same table, if the target didn't go down, it didn't.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tato posted:

Does anyone have tips for how to start the Gold Rush Multiball on Whitewater?

Just play a normal game and ignore it. Get a good long game in, rack up a Vacation Jackpot and you hit the Gold Rush somewhere along the way. You pretty much can't hit that shot intentionally.

As for the Boulder Garden, don't forget that you get spotted a hazard every few trips up that center shot (forget what it's called), which is a lot safer.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do slingshots on pinball machines exist only to make sure it sends the ball flying directly in the side drains? I'm so sick of slingshots. I'm also sick of the ball bouncing out from the regular lane INTO the side drains. What the hell? :/

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Ryuga Death posted:

Do slingshots on pinball machines exist only to make sure it sends the ball flying directly in the side drains? I'm so sick of slingshots. I'm also sick of the ball bouncing out from the regular lane INTO the side drains. What the hell? :/

hahah, yes. If you think that's bad, try playing Comet. Instead of inlanes, it just has slingshots connected to the flippers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ryuga Death posted:

They are also there to run out the clock in Theatre of Magic so that you can't take any shots because the ball is just bouncing back and forth while the machine taunts you about the lady in the box. She's in danger! :argh:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Ryuga Death posted:

Yes. These things are designed primarily to eat as many quarters as possible. With that in mind, TPA has made the games a bit easier than their real life counterparts.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

They are also there to run out the clock in Theatre of Magic so that you can't take any shots because the ball is just bouncing back and forth while the machine taunts you about the lady in the box. She's in danger! :argh:

How'd you know this was the machine I was playing when I made that post? loving hell, the slingshots on that table must be bigger than they look cause they just kept making the ball bounce for as long as possible. As soon as the timer ran out, of course, the ball just bounced on a slingshot into a side drain.

Clouseau posted:

Yes. These things are designed primarily to eat as many quarters as possible. With that in mind, TPA has made the games a bit easier than their real life counterparts.

Christ almighty. Is there anything I can do about slingshots or the balls being slingshotted into the side drain?

Der-Wreck posted:

hahah, yes. If you think that's bad, try playing Comet. Instead of inlanes, it just has slingshots connected to the flippers.

What?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Ryuga Death posted:

Christ almighty. Is there anything I can do about slingshots or the balls being slingshotted into the side drain?

Bang on the stick (or machine) to nudge. After a while you can kind of tell when the slingshot pattern is going to end up unfavorable to you, and just give it a nudge to try and break out of it.

One Weird Trick with Theatre of Magic is to always make sure the magnet save is activated. It has a tendency to not work occasionally if your ball zooms down the outlane too fast, but the target to activate it is really easy to hit, covers both outlanes, and it stays active for a relatively long time.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
I'm gonna guess this http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=548&picno=30121&zoom=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
What situations should I use the up/down nudge in? I've been using, or at least trying to, left and right nudges to slow down ball momentum or steer the ball away from the middle.