Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Neptunia V upped the bar from "amazingly lovely and extremely tedious" to just "extremely tedious and kinda bad" so maybe they'll keep learning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been played Escha and Logy lately, and while I really enjoy the game as a whole, holy poo poo did they skimp on the localization.

Dialogue and such seems alright (though the voice actors aren't very good and half the english scenes are missing voices to boot), but everything else, like the menu, item descriptions, skill descriptions, incidental dialogue, it's all terrible.

Just finished an assignment today, where the objective was to "Synthesize a Lava Cube with the Meteor effect". Synthed a few, couldn't find the goddamn effect, left the screen, assignment is suddenly completed. See, when they said 'Meteor', what they actually meant was not loving meteor, but actually the Falling Stars effect. How lazy is your translation team that you gently caress that up?

Oh yeah, and my favourite is the prompt after every excursion that asks "Do you want to put the components into the box?" Click 'Yes', and you'll look at the components individually. Click 'No', and you'll put the components in the box. If the game itself wasn't as fun as it is, I would've put it away by now.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

Neptunia V upped the bar from "amazingly lovely and extremely tedious" to just "extremely tedious and kinda bad" so maybe they'll keep learning!

Personally I can't wait to see how they manage to make even a PS4 game feel like it's swimming in treacle from graphics lag.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Personally I can't wait for the next gripping installment in Neptunia's deep and entertaining story.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Waifu Wars VII: Uguu~

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Morpheus posted:

Been played Escha and Logy lately, and while I really enjoy the game as a whole, holy poo poo did they skimp on the localization.

Dialogue and such seems alright (though the voice actors aren't very good and half the english scenes are missing voices to boot), but everything else, like the menu, item descriptions, skill descriptions, incidental dialogue, it's all terrible.

Just finished an assignment today, where the objective was to "Synthesize a Lava Cube with the Meteor effect". Synthed a few, couldn't find the goddamn effect, left the screen, assignment is suddenly completed. See, when they said 'Meteor', what they actually meant was not loving meteor, but actually the Falling Stars effect. How lazy is your translation team that you gently caress that up?

Oh yeah, and my favourite is the prompt after every excursion that asks "Do you want to put the components into the box?" Click 'Yes', and you'll look at the components individually. Click 'No', and you'll put the components in the box. If the game itself wasn't as fun as it is, I would've put it away by now.

If it's any consolation that's about as bad as it gets. There's one more objective that straight up tells you the wrong item name but after that I can't remember anything else.

It's real weird since Atelier Ayesha is doesn't come anywhere close to E&L's translation botches, I wonder if they were rushed or something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

If it's any consolation that's about as bad as it gets. There's one more objective that straight up tells you the wrong item name but after that I can't remember anything else.

It's real weird since Atelier Ayesha is doesn't come anywhere close to E&L's translation botches, I wonder if they were rushed or something.

I feel like there were two teams, one doing the dialogue and one doing everything else, I can't fathom how there is such a large difference in quality otherwise.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Atelier Ayesha was localised by NISA, Escha and Logy was localised by Tecmo Koei.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

E&L's translation stuff sadly even't even a patch on how NISA's translations got for a while so it didn't slow me down much. It is annoying that it wasn't checked better though.

Morpheus posted:

I feel like there were two teams, one doing the dialogue and one doing everything else, I can't fathom how there is such a large difference in quality otherwise.

I'm pretty sure what happened in those cases is the editor screwed up. I've played in-production versions of these games before and they usually have a few different translations for various effects or items before they settle on one, and in this case they didn't properly check to make sure all the translatons lined up.

The Q&A guys probably should have caught it but I assume it didn't get great Q&A.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 29, 2014

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
For a while anything published but not made by NISA was an instant indicator it was gonna be a busted rear end POS. E&L's translation is wonky as gently caress but it's totally workable provided you double check some of the quest requirements online.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I like, and the only thing I know, about E&L is the pun in the title. Escha & Logy. The japanese participle for "and" is "to". Eschatology (Form of theology regarding the end of the world)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
What is the optimal path for Tactics Ogre PSP? I've always felt it was best to do Law first to get most of the recruitment out of the way but if I want to get everything, what's the most economical path? Is it Law, Chaos, Neutral then CODA?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

What is the optimal path for Tactics Ogre PSP? I've always felt it was best to do Law first to get most of the recruitment out of the way but if I want to get everything, what's the most economical path? Is it Law, Chaos, Neutral then CODA?
It really depends and it's pretty convoluted. The important thing to remember is that chapter 4 shares an anchor point with every path, so you can only ever have one chapter 4 anchor point set at any given point.

Anyway, if you mean optimal in terms of time spent, then it mostly hinges around what you intend to do about Arycelle and Cressidia. The former has a special event on neutral that causes complications if you already have Arycelle from another path but there are work arounds. If you don't want to use the work arounds, then you do neutral first.

After that it's chaos to recruit Cressidia, and doing a particular path through 4C and picking particular options to keep your CF value high enough. Go check the general faq thread over at GFaqs for this.

Then it's Law to pick up all the characters and correct your chapter 4 path (make sure you do it the RIGHT WAY!!!!) and then straight into PoTD and then into CODA. If you didn't do chapter 4 correctly here and completed PoTD then hahahaahahahahah

Most people will take pit stops at any of these stages to hit PotD for various things (especially to farm necro marks after grabbing Cressida), but only complete PoTD on your final route because of the teleporters in PoTD.

Anyway, the take away is to do Law last actually so you can correct your chapter 4 path (remember there is only one anchor point for chapter 4). Technically you can do CODA by doing Chaos if your Warren Report is correct but I never read up on how to properly achieve this. It's simply much easier to do it with Law.

If by optimal you mean character strength, just pick the paths that have your favorite characters and be prepared for any of the work arounds.

When I played, I honestly just said screw the optimal path and did what I wanted aside and it probably added maybe like 20 hours of busy work, mostly replaying chapter 4 a total of two more times in addition to my first time through as Law.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 30, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

It really depends and it's pretty convoluted. The important thing to remember is that chapter 4 shares an anchor point with every path, so you can only ever have one chapter 4 anchor point set at any given point.

Anyway, if you mean optimal in terms of time spent, then it mostly hinges around what you intend to do about Arycelle and Cressidia. The former has a special event on neutral that causes complications if you already have Arycelle from another path but there are work arounds. If you don't want to use the work arounds, then you do neutral first.

After that it's chaos to recruit Cressidia, and doing a particular path through 4C and picking particular options to keep your CF value high enough. Go check the general faq thread over at GFaqs for this.

Then it's Law to pick up all the characters and correct your chapter 4 path (make sure you do it the RIGHT WAY!!!!) and then straight into PoTD and then into CODA. If you didn't do chapter 4 correctly here and completed PoTD then hahahaahahahahah

Most people will take pit stops at any of these stages to hit PotD for various things (especially to farm necro marks after grabbing Cressida), but only complete PoTD on your final route because of the teleporters in PoTD.

Anyway, the take away is to do Law last actually so you can correct your chapter 4 path (remember there is only one anchor point for chapter 4). Technically you can do CODA by doing Chaos if your Warren Report is correct but I never read up on how to properly achieve this. It's simply much easier to do it with Law.

If by optimal you mean character strength, just pick the paths that have your favorite characters and be prepared for any of the work arounds.

When I played, I honestly just said screw the optimal path and did what I wanted aside and it probably added maybe like 20 hours of busy work, mostly replaying chapter 4 a total of two more times in addition to my first time through as Law.

Thats pretty helpful, thanks. I have played it so many times I am most interested in an economical run so shortest path is what I want. The World system is a bit confusing to me even though I feel it shouldn't be. I'll give Neutral > Chaos > Law a shot.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Bought Last Remnant during the Steam sale. It's been fun learning to get by in the nutso combat system. Slightly less fun when I forgot to save before an obvious boss leadin and got my squad got killed in a flash when my guests failed to kill a single group before they did a 4 way smash into my face.

Also I still have no clue which mooks to buy (not that I can use very many anyway), whether I should change weapons, or really anything.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

wateyad posted:

Atelier Ayesha was localised by NISA, Escha and Logy was localised by Tecmo Koei.

Ayesha was published in the states by K-T, so I'm pretty sure they did the localization work for it as well.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Bobo the Red posted:

Bought Last Remnant during the Steam sale. It's been fun learning to get by in the nutso combat system. Slightly less fun when I forgot to save before an obvious boss leadin and got my squad got killed in a flash when my guests failed to kill a single group before they did a 4 way smash into my face.

Also I still have no clue which mooks to buy (not that I can use very many anyway), whether I should change weapons, or really anything.

Welcometo SaGa, someone here can probably help with some of the extra obtuse poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Ayesha was published in the states by K-T, so I'm pretty sure they did the localization work for it as well.

KT got an outside company (like 8-4 but trash) to do the localisation.

Edit: I'm dumb and was thinking of E&L. Disregard!

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 1, 2014

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Forest Thief Pud posted:

NISA had already been working on it before K-T bought GUST or something, so they just paid them to finish localising it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Oh cool, Hironobu Sakaguchi is making a new game with music by Nobuo Uematsu, I wonder wha-

quote:

Terra Battle is, as many suspected, a new game for smartphones.

Oh.

:negative:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I just assume every new JRPG is for smartphones, especially if it's from an established franchise. It's slightly less disappointing that way.

Oh cool! A new Mana series gam- gently caress it's for mobile.

Breath of Fire 6?! That's awesom- goddamnit Square.

I know it's a huge market and arguably the better business decision but c'mon. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BloodWulfe posted:

Breath of Fire 6?! That's awesom- goddamnit Square.

SE is responsible for a lot of depressing things these days, but this one's aaaaaaaall Capcom :v:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bobo the Red posted:

Anyone with a proper portrait and a little backstory in their status screen. You typically have to do something to unlock them. You can also make them stronger after certain points if you talk to them in town and a cutscene plays.

As for weapons you can go whatever you want on Rush. Decide on a class though because it can be hosed up (or don't if you're not anal about ~minmaxing~)

Your units have a pretty linear path. Don't give them any weapons though if they ask. Some of them gently caress up that path pretty badly. Your weapon and moves used decide your class.

Don't grind it only makes it harder unless you're doing it for materials for weapons.

Make sure you do the Fallen quest before Disc 2 if you want to do everything / get the true Boss.

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Remnant_Wiki_-_The_Last_Remnant_Guide

This is probably your best friend.

Character breakdown

$**rush - whatever
$*david - 1h/shield - 2 arts as leader - invo / herbs / remedies / shards
$*pagus - 2h staff - 1 art as leader (full map aoe, CANNOT be deadlocked) - invo / remedies / wards / herbs - remnant accessory (pagus only)
$baulson - 1h 2h axe - 1 WA anywhere if hacked smiter in - herbs / hexes - remnant accessory (baulson only)
$blocter - Power Grip axe - herb / trap / hex
$torgal - quad wield - 1 art as leader, 1 WA anywhere - evo / psi
$**emmy - dual wield - 1 art + summon as leader, 1 WA anywhere - remedies / hexes
$**jager - 2h spear - 2 art + summon as leader - psi - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
caedmon - dual 2h - 1 WA anywhere - evo / herbs / remedies
allan - dual 1h 2h katana - 1 WA anywhere - invo / hexes / shards
$gaou - 1h 2h sword - 1 art as leader OR 1 WA anywhere - lotions / hexes - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
$roberto - 1h 2h sword - 1 art as leader OR 1 WA anywhere - invo - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
$**irina - 1h 2h katana OR staff - 3 arts as leader (very loving g) - remedies / lotions / psi / shards - remant weapon (g bonus/damage) + with khyrinia in same party she gets another full screen art
violet - 2h staff - remedies / hexes - remnant accessory Liafort (or you can use on rush aka no point using her) - can hack another staff weapon in for her so she has a weapon art
leshau - 2h 1h mace - 1 WA anywhere - evo / hexes / psi
maddox - 2h staff - 1 WA anywhere - invo / hexes / remedies / herbs
darien - 2h spear - herbs / lotions / remedies
$glenys - 2h 1h katana - remedies / evo / herbs - remnant accessory Rubber Soul (or you can use on rush aka no point in using her)
paris - 2h staff - remedies / psi / wards
$sibal - 1h 2h mace - herbs / lotions / invo - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
$duke of ghor - 1h 2h axe - 1 art as leader - psi - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
$haruko - 2h spear - remedies / invo / lotion - remnant weapon (g bonus/damage)
$wyngale - #winning, not even worth typing about. has every spell in game and quad wield katana.
$khyrina - 1h 2h katana - 1 WA anywhere - invo / evo / shards/ hexes / lotions - needs to be in party with Irina. 2x remnant accessory (very g poo poo, if you don't want to use her you can use Blood Chalice on Rush)

$ means one of the best character (do to having certain weapon options / moves)
* means they should/can be a party leader because of class bonus / certain unique moves

Theres more but those are the only characters I really used.

Kild fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 2, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

SE is responsible for a lot of depressing things these days, but this one's aaaaaaaall Capcom :v:

Yeah I was thinking of Agito, but then I remembered the localization announcement. I mean, that's still a bummer because it's a free-to-play in-app purchase mobile game, but at least it's coming over here I guess.

Still waiting for Wild Arms, Suikoden, Front Mission, or any other number of derelict IPs to pop up on mobile in Japan.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Actually, mobile gaming isn't doing as well for Japanese companies as it used to, especially for Capcom.

The Rise of Mana director, Masaru Oyamada, wants to release Seiken Densetsu 5 in the next two years for "home consoles." Maybe they're starting to see mobile gaming isn't all its cracked up to be?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mill Village posted:

Actually, mobile gaming isn't doing as well for Japanese companies as it used to, especially for Capcom.

The Rise of Mana director, Masaru Oyamada, wants to release Seiken Densetsu 5 in the next two years for "home consoles." Maybe they're starting to see mobile gaming isn't all its cracked up to be?

You know, it's really mean spirited to set up a long range disappointment like this.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mill Village posted:

There hasn't really been a good mana game since 3 so I have a hard time getting excited given how Square Enix handles its properties now. Maybe Lightning will make a cameo? Who knows??

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Levantine posted:

There hasn't really been a good mana game since 3 so I have a hard time getting excited given how Square Enix handles its properties now. Maybe Lightning will make a cameo? Who knows??

Legend of Mana would like a word with you. :colbert:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Legend was OK. It was just so unmemorable. Pretty, sure, but I'll be damned if I can remember much about it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

SD3 isn't that great and people only care about it because it's the one that didn't come out in English. Like Type-0.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Also SoM only shipped like 300K copies in the West.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dross posted:

Also SoM only shipped like 300K copies in the West.

Chrono Trigger only shipped 290k outside of Japan. That's not really an uncommon or poor sales number for the era.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I am super annoyed by how Tecmo-Koei's logo is KT (instead of TK), which confuses the poo poo out of me because my first instinct is to call the company Kecmo-Toei instead whenever I see that logo.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I am super annoyed by how Tecmo-Koei's logo is KT (instead of TK), which confuses the poo poo out of me because my first instinct is to call the company Kecmo-Toei instead whenever I see that logo.

They're officially Koei Tecmo everywhere now

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

straight jerkers posted:

They're officially Koei Tecmo everywhere now

Well I'll be darned, so they are.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Mill Village posted:

That was a neat read re: Capcom's mobile gaming. Conversely, it looks like Square is still doing pretty well in mobile, but has a worsening performance with physical games. Either way I'm still not expecting much in the way of RPGs on home consoles.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Legend of Mana is my favorite mana game. :) I'm not really excited about a new mana game so much as I am the idea of a new one. The majority of the series is pretty awful, and it's been 15 years since a good one came out. There's not a whole lot of goodwill left in the series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Levantine posted:

Legend was OK. It was just so unmemorable. Pretty, sure, but I'll be damned if I can remember much about it.
My main gripe is how, because you can miss certain quests while still competing a quest chain or sometimes do them out of order, instead of making unique lines for every case (and it's not like they couldn't for space constraints), they instead chose to craft the entire game's dialogue around the fact that the cast may or may not have ever met you before, so they all sound like these vapid assholes all "who are you again?"

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

My main gripe is how, because you can miss certain quests while still competing a quest chain or sometimes do them out of order, instead of making unique lines for every case (and it's not like they couldn't for space constraints), they instead chose to craft the entire game's dialogue around the fact that the cast may or may not have ever met you before, so they all sound like these vapid assholes all "who are you again?"

Now that you say that I do recall having the same irritation. The way you could miss out on things made the game feel incomplete if you screwed up. It was super pretty for the time though, I'll give it that.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

That was a neat read re: Capcom's mobile gaming. Conversely, it looks like Square is still doing pretty well in mobile, but has a worsening performance with physical games. Either way I'm still not expecting much in the way of RPGs on home consoles.

Square's handheld gaming sales are interesting. Bravely Default sold better then Lightning Returns did. This is making Square rethink how they make their games.

I wish this meant we would get that DQ7 3DS remake. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Legend of Mana is like playing a living painting, it's too bad it's about as interesting as watching said paint dry. And this is coming from someone who really wanted to love it and put in way too many hours doing co-op. Fuckin' love Niccolo though.