Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

blk posted:

I was driving home yesterday behind a new Malibu and the driver flicked his cigarette out the window. I stopped and picked up the butt, then caught up with him (long, straight street with no turn offs) and followed the remaining 1/2 mile until he stopped at a long light. I got out and knocked on his window, which he rolled down, and told him "Don't do it again," before flicking his own butt in his face. He was too shocked to say anything; nobody else was around so I turned around behind him and went home.

a) I guess I'm a cool cigarette-flicking AI guy now

b) One of these days I will be killed by someone with a gun in their car

c) I know not all smokers litter like assholes, but far too many do.

I would wager that the vast majority of smokers just throw out their butts. I know lots of smokers, but none with ashes or other evidence of "responsible" smoking in their vehicle's ashtray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The city here pays for street sweepers to collect the debris on the road. It would be irresponsible to not provide them with trash.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've always considered doing something like that, but I'm a gigantic wimp and will never actually do it.

Confronting other drivers like that is obviously not safe for a million reasons but man it sure sounds satisfying.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I would never confront another motorist here in Kentucky. I have had SEVERAL instances in which I honked to get someone's attention when they were merging into me and they then quite literally tried to kill me. In three of those instances 911 took over 45 minutes to respond. This is in the middle of Metro Louisville which employs over 3000 police officers. I'd buy a gun but unfortunately the Second Amendment doesn't provide much protection for people that use their guns in self-defense. I keep pepper spray and just say a prayer before getting behind the wheel.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Last time I saw someone flick a butt out the window was on the freeway at dusk. poo poo landed right on my hood and sprayed embers all over my car. I was able to make eye contact and give the finger so I guess thats a win.

The worst was the disgusting rear end in a top hat who spit dip out his window on the freeway onto my windshield. His cancer will come soon enough.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Time for biodegradable filters.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Okay, I drive a truck for a living again, delivery trucks for now, so my main tools are MB trucks aswell as couple of Volvos and Scanias.

Today I was delivering bread with the company Axor, absolute dream 164k km on the odo and everything is clean.

It was raining somewhat, to cause water pretty nicely go down this downhill with me, making it really slippery, i have my exhaust brake on, going about 50kmh towards an intersection, which turns yellow. Checking my distance I decide I cant stop with my load nicely enough so I decide to go through the yellows. What happens instead, if this audi passes me, gets in front of me and slams the brakes to stop at the lights, still yellow at this point. I had to slam mine and steer left from the rightmost lane I was in, and ended up sideways at the lights, at least I didnt hit the Audi but it now I was blocking the lane I left and the lane next to it with the Audi guy going apeshit in his car.

Yeah surprise rear end in a top hat, a truck wont stop as fast as your much more lighter vehicle.

At least when I told this to my boss he told me I shouldve rammed the fucker :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

punakone posted:

At least when I told this to my boss he told me I shouldve rammed the fucker :v:

Reminds me of a story I heard on here a while back. Some dickhead was raging at a trucker on the interstate and decided the smart thing to do would be to swerve in front of the truck and slam on the brakes with his middle finger out the window. The truck blew him to smithereens and he died at the scene.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some spoiled bitch in a brand new Land Rover pulled the "cruise along slowly in the middle lane of the freeway, then wedge into a jam packed exit ramp at the last possible moment" move. Not only that, I saw her grinning self importantly in her rearview mirror, so I decided it was time to use my battered beater privilege.

Came out of the tollbooths behind her, she lost the game of chicken merging down to two lanes because my car was more dented than hers and I cockblocked a few more douchebag moves she tried on the entrance ramps and merges after that, actually got her waving her arms around in the car and yelling, it was pretty amusing :v:

(this was at the i90 to i95 northbound interchange I've ranted about previously, so there were plenty of opportunities for her to try some FYGM move, and plenty of opportunities for me to block it with a jeep worth less than one of her wheels.)

I normally don't intentionally block and piss people off, but goddamn, she had it coming after that move.

The funny thing is, she broke at least 4 traffic laws in the process and I broke precisely zero :haw:

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 30, 2014

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

blk posted:

I was driving home yesterday behind a new Malibu and the driver flicked his cigarette out the window. I stopped and picked up the butt, then caught up with him (long, straight street with no turn offs) and followed the remaining 1/2 mile until he stopped at a long light. I got out and knocked on his window, which he rolled down, and told him "Don't do it again," before flicking his own butt in his face. He was too shocked to say anything; nobody else was around so I turned around behind him and went home.

This is my most frequent Walter Mitty fantasy. :golfclap:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, it's more accurate to say "they will likely attempt to come after you for the money they have to pay out, and you're never getting insured at anything other than extortionate rates again".

Another piece of fuckery regarding insurance in the UK - if you let someone drive your car, and they do not have a licence or insurance to do so, you also get a fine in the region of £1k and 6-8 points. Of course, the question is, at what point can you say you did your due diligence to check - they said they had cover, they showed you a certificate, you read the small print to their policy and so on? Well, if anyone can find a definitive answer to that, please let me know.

If it's anything like the USA, the court will keep moving the goal posts until they get their money.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Walking back from a food truck run with my co-worker on Friday and witnessed some nice road rage.

I work right by the big downtown Arena here and it's not uncommon to see the streets lined with 18 Wheelers before a big concert. They bring them all in overnight and block off the parking spots in advance so that all the equipment can be unloaded, not a big deal. Once they are ready to unload them they take them a few at a time and bring them down to the loading dock which is underground, but it requires them to back in on the next street over as the ramp cuts right across one of the city blocks. It's a pretty tight squeeze but manageable, and security at the site handles traffic control.

So as we are walking back, a security guy stops us as we round the corner on the sidewalk, as they have two trucks backing in to unload. As we are waiting suddenly we hear screeching brakes, then honking, and then shouting. A this point, we can't really see what's going on as we are on the wrong side of one of the trailers that is backing in, but the walkie talkie on the security guy in front of us blares out something and he goes running.

Finally, we see a middle aged bald guy standing in front of his new Camaro in the middle of the street, screaming at the top of his lungs at another security guard. He is, literally, jumping up and down like a toddler on a sugar rush. Just before the rest of the security team gets there he either pushes or chest bumps the guard in front of him, nearly knocking him down. I can't really overstate how animated this rear end in a top hat is at this point. The rest of the security team gets there and this manchild retreats to his car as they line up directly on his front bumper and fenders to ensure he can't go anwhere without running them over.

As the truck finishes backing in, the security guys give the Camaro idiot a bit of a tongue lashing before letting him go, which he does (of course) by dropping the clutch and burning out. As he passes by us, I notice the handicap permit hanging from the Camaro's rearview.

:psyduck:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Being an rear end in a top hat is a major handicap, can you imagine how hard life must be if every person you meet hates your guts? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best is when a truck is trying to back into a tiny hole on a narrow street (with no spotter of course, because who can afford the labor) and as soon as there's three feet of gap, some jackass tries to stuff his way through. But they failed to notice the truck wasn't straight yet and needs to pull forward to adjust.. creating a situation where no one can move unless the jackass goes into reverse to make space.

But since they're a jackass they don't do this, and instead lean on the horn when the semi starts to inch forward as if the truck is the one doing something wrong.

I work near an industrial area with two lane roads and I lost count years ago how many times I've witnessed variants of this theme. Trucks are big, and the guys operating them are doing a poorly compensated job. They deserve a little respect trying to deliver their load.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

MOTHERFUCKER!

Okay, that may have been the apex of his turn at 40 MPH but it still freaked me out. For a moment I wasn't sure if he was going to get out of the way in time. Not heard is me laying hard on the horn and hitting the brakes so hard that the ABS kicks in. I've never had that happen before so I'm still running on adrenaline almost an hour later.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress people that cannot stay in their lanes, even (especially) if they are hauling rear end.

All the roads around my house are 2 lane but unmarked, which apparently means drive on whatever side you goddamn feel like whenever you please. I barely bat an eye when a soccer mom in a Tahoe comes around a blind corner halfway in my lane, it happens so loving often.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've been flipped off for existing and being in my own lane when some dipshit came over a blind crest half in my lane yapping on their cellphone.

gently caress you, retard, if I had a dashcam I would be turning in the video footage. Hang up and drive.

Speed only kills if you are an idiot and collide with something due to an inability to control your vehicle.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kastein posted:

Some spoiled bitch in a brand new Land Rover pulled the "cruise along slowly in the middle lane of the freeway, then wedge into a jam packed exit ramp at the last possible moment" move. Not only that, I saw her grinning self importantly in her rearview mirror, so I decided it was time to use my battered beater privilege.

Came out of the tollbooths behind her, she lost the game of chicken merging down to two lanes because my car was more dented than hers and I cockblocked a few more douchebag moves she tried on the entrance ramps and merges after that, actually got her waving her arms around in the car and yelling, it was pretty amusing :v:

(this was at the i90 to i95 northbound interchange I've ranted about previously, so there were plenty of opportunities for her to try some FYGM move, and plenty of opportunities for me to block it with a jeep worth less than one of her wheels.)

I normally don't intentionally block and piss people off, but goddamn, she had it coming after that move.

The funny thing is, she broke at least 4 traffic laws in the process and I broke precisely zero :haw:

Another well executed zipper merge for the books.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Another well executed zipper merge for the books.

1. this is a loving retarded argument and I refuse to partake of it again
2. she didn't zipper merge, she literally crossed the breakdown lane and jammed herself between the guardrail and someone else to force her way in. She would have been ticketed had there been an officer stationed there, as there sometimes is.

e: just to lay this one to rest before it becomes another dumbass derail

Red path is rear end in a top hat. 3 lane highway, extra exit lane, right lane splits, that plus exit lane become double lane exit. rear end in a top hat goes from middle/middle-left lane of highway across right lane, breakdown lane dashed triangle, and jams in at the last minute. This is known as being a dickbag and cutting in line, something we were all taught not to do in like, third grade.

I witnessed this from approximately 20 feet ahead of the blue tractor trailer.

Not a zipper merge.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 1, 2014

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I've been flipped off for waiting to turn into my own parking structure because I saw a motorcycle was lane splitting and didn't want to cut him off. The car waited for me to turn through their lane but I wasnt quick enough so they flipped me off. Eventually when I made the turn I simply stopped in their lane and it terrified them enough to speed off around me through the wrong lane. Until they hit a red light 70ft down the road.

I had a dashcam but it's hard to see into someone else's car with it, you can but it's hard. I should've parked and simply walked over to them to ask them why they hate me so much. :shobon:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

kastein posted:

1. this is a loving retarded argument and I refuse to partake of it again
2. This is me, partaking of it again.

I unironically find it hilarious that the two words which kick off the most arguments in this drat thread are "Zipper Merge" :v:

Edit: suggestion for new thread title "ITT PYF Zipper Merge: These are the people you share a road with."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^ Zipper merge arguments are typically about whether the merge maneuver in question is the best one for traffic flow, but generally it is always a legal one. Kastein's example is not that at all.

I've said it before but one of the few things that will get me to make eye contact and give someone a death glare is when I'm coming up to a right turn (at, say, a t-intersection), and there's someone in the left-turn lane who has inched so far forward that I can't pull forward enough to see my oncoming traffic without pulling into the traffic flow.

Even worse when it's like happened today. Car next to me was inches from the lane I'm trying to turn into. There's traffic jam-packed for a mile in the opposite direction, so she had no hope of getting out regardless. Of course, it turned out there was nearly a mile gap with only one or two cars in the direction I was turning into, but I still couldn't pull out because I could see nothing of these cars before they were dangerously close, neither roof nor tires on the ground; ergo, I was stuck waiting like an idiot to turn right even though the road was drat near empty, because with my luck I'd pull out blind and be directly in front of a goddamn box truck or something.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

blk posted:

If I had been behind the person who threw a butt out their window and started a grass fire right outside my heavily forested town (in sunny, tinder-dry northern California), I would definitely consider doing that, except maybe replace the sweet line and flick with running them off the road, hauling them out of their car, and beating the poo poo out of them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I yelled at a guy who threw their half consumed cigarette on the ground in front of their kid. He proclaimed "It's none of my business."

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ratbert90 posted:

I yelled at a guy who threw their half consumed cigarette on the ground in front of their kid. He proclaimed "It's none of my business."

Cognitive dissonance is an amazing thing to witness.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I yelled and screamed IRL until my throat turned raw at a guy who jokingly referenced zipper merges in a negative light and got some pretty heavy sexual satisfaction out of it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shut the gently caress up, holy poo poo. It's not funny, just annoying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Shut the gently caress up, holy poo poo. It's not funny, just annoying.

It's pretty funny actually.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

*GOLF CLAP*

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Has anybody ever told you you're a really good poster and should post more often?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MrLonghair posted:

When cars with only a driver chickenrace 18 wheels of unstoppable or put chip away driving into solid rock wall it's suicide (research not shared with public in Sweden for a source), though these days it's more and more about cases of distracted driving.

e: A bad crash recently with car splatting into truck carrying horses, came from the driver bending over to pick something up from the floor, with his entire family in the car. Drifted into oncoming traffic at high speeds. The people we no longer share the road with.
Don't forget "blind drunk" as a reason for driving the wrong way down the highway. For all the times that I've been driving during what would be prime drunk driving time (New Years Eve, summer holiday weekends, Friday and Saturday night in general) thankfully I've never seen anyone blatantly weaving or going down the wrong side of the road. I did honk a few times at a taxi cab that was probably falling asleep at the wheel, I hope he wasn't drunk at 3PM.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Here's one...

There's no one in that vehicle.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

blk posted:

In a Stand Your Ground state, b) would most definitely apply.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CannonFodder posted:

Don't forget "blind drunk" as a reason for driving the wrong way down the highway. For all the times that I've been driving during what would be prime drunk driving time (New Years Eve, summer holiday weekends, Friday and Saturday night in general) thankfully I've never seen anyone blatantly weaving or going down the wrong side of the road. I did honk a few times at a taxi cab that was probably falling asleep at the wheel, I hope he wasn't drunk at 3PM.

Holy god I remember once driving through the central part of town on the expressway at 4am on a holiday one night. Traffic was light and there were around 20 cars that I could see on the road. All 20 were 100% drunk. It was absolutely terrifying.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Leaving the gym last night, I'm sitting in my car just cooling off and waiting for the A/C to do its magic. This very very cute girl in a late model Corolla pulls her car into a spot adjacent to where I was parked, facing me. Then, she backs up ever so slowly halfway out of the spot. At this point she cuts the wheel and straightens out while pulling forward back into the spot, despite the fact she wasn't crooked to begin with.

Then she starts slowly backing up again. She didn't turn her head at all and didn't appear to be using her mirrors to navigate either, just slowly backing up. Then she pulls forward back into the spot...past the line, into the spot in front of the one she was in.

Then she starts backing up again. I was completely loving mystified at this point but didn't feel like hanging around to creep on this loving weirdo playing her insane parking lot games, but seriously, the gently caress? There was no rhyme or reason as to why or what she was doing and it is still kind of bothering me today.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Same problem in two different places:

Both green arrows have a green light at the same time, they each have a lane to turn into, and I don't think I've ever seen a car coming from the top turn into the outside lane. But whenever there are any cars coming from the top people coming from the bottom stop at the red line because they see cars coming.

The green arrow has its own lane, it isn't a merge lane that disappears, it just becomes a third lane on the road. Maybe I should be upset with the traffic engineer who decided a yield sign was needed when there is nobody to yield to, but people see the yield sign and just jam on the brakes even though they can see a whole open lane in front of them. It even has 30 yards of 'don't cross this line' so you can get some speed coming out of the turn.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

I ended up on the wrong side of the road once while completely sober.

Couple of years back several of my friends and I were on the vacation in South Carolina, doing our usual last-night-before-going-back-to-work stripclub crawl.

(I was designated driver this time - not a drop of alcohol all night. Nothing but Red Bull and cranberry juice for me!)

We found a club somewhere around Columbia - can't remember the name of the place, but it was out in the sticks, off the main road and up on a bluff. Around 3AM or so we piled out of the place and headed back to the hotel.

The main road passing the place was a 4-lane state highway with an exceedingly wide median. The intersection was an uncontrolled one - no stoplights, and most importantly no functional streetlights.

We turned left out of there and settled in for the 45-minute drive back. After 5 minutes or so we spotted headlights in our lane - coming right at us... Holy poo poo this guy is drunk and driving on the wrong side of the road!!! I honked and flashed hi-beams, with no perceived effect... I finally got completely off the road and onto the shoulder. The "drunk" whizzed by, unperturbed. Holy poo poo he's gonna kill somebody!! I pulled a quick u-turn and started pursuing, then grabbed my cellphone and had one of the guys dial 911..

:cop: "911 emergency"

:supaburn: Hi we're going east on route 378 and are following a drunk driver! He's on the wrong side of the road! OMG OMG!

:cop: We'll dispatch an officer immediately. Do you know the cross street near your current location?

:supaburn: I don't know but we are just coming up on mile marker 141!

(Waitaminute. If we're now also going the wrong way, how come I can read the signs?)

... ohhhhh.

Apologized to the dispatcher for the mixup, hung up and drove back to the original intersection by the club, then got all the way over into the *actual* westbound lanes and drove *very* carefully back to the hotel.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Took this walking my kids to school.

She literally swerved in, smacked it right up on the kerb, over a double yellow line, filling more than half the pavement as a bunch of kids were walking past, and dragged her kid across a busy road. When she returned to her car to see me and a bunch of other pissed off parents taking pictures, we got the finger while she peeled out. Badly.

Unfortunately for her, one of the pissed off parents was a local councillor who filmed the whole thing (parking/traffic around the school is terrible, she happened to be out filming it anyway) and is passing it on to the police.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I just observed someone stop at a red light, then casually roll on through to take a left turn. We have right on red, not left on red, bonehead.

I gave him a little honk to show it hadn't gone unnoticed and he violently swerved. He knows what he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Yesterday I saw a Mini parked across four spots, a car behind me started laying on the horn when I pulled over for a fire truck, and some idiot kid on a bike ran a stop sign right in my path - I slammed on the brakes and missed him by 2 feet; he looked like he was making GBS threads himself.

Why are so many people bad at this stuff?