Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Why are you asking an internet forum on how to argue with a friend instead of just outright mocking said friend?

Pay 51% of the rent, then start stealing your roommates poo poo. When he complains tell him he can just go find another apartment but since you hold the majority stake in the apartment your will is law.

Ed - Sorry, tell him your new religion requires you to take all of his stuff and to not flush the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, how valid are the arguments for using Title VII to protect a woman's healthcare options instead of the contraceptive mandate?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
So I've been arguing on Facebook with some members of my extended family about Hobby Lobby ruling. Dumb, I know, but they commented on a post I made on my wall, so I defended myself. Got sucked into it. But anyway, I'm probably 5-7 comments deep into it when I realize that two of these people literally think this ruling is about preventing the government from forcing women to use contraception including the morning after pill. As in, if you got raped they would force you to take the pill, and they're glad the Supreme Court protected a woman's choice.

edit: when I asked her to tell me exactly what she thought this ruling was about, suddenly she said she was done with the debate and that navigating the new health laws is "mind-boggling" but assured me that my doctors' hands are now tied. OK.

dakana fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 1, 2014

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

razorrozar posted:

He's not normally this much of a shithead, I swear. I don't know why today has become lovely Opinion Day in our apartment.

His main reasoning is that by forcing the corporation to provide medical care that violates the owners' religious beliefs, they are violating the First Amendment rights of the owner. He refuses to differentiate between the owner as a person and the corporation as an entity.

A corporation is a piece of paper that we give certain legal rights for the sake of convenience, and to encourage certain behaviors (like investment) by limiting liability. Corporations can be formed for religious reasons, but that's not why Hobby Lobby exists - it's a for-profit corporation, so it exists to turn a profit for its owners, not to advance a religious purpose. Regardless of the noises that Hobby Lobby's owners might make about serving Jesus, that's not why Hobby Lobby exists. If they really wanted to make a religious corporation, then they could make a non-profit corporation that actually does exist for a religious purpose and gives its proceeds to missionary work, feeding the poor, or whatever other religious beliefs the owners actually wanted to advance, rather than a corporation that exists for the sake of turning a profit and returning that profit to its owners.

The corporation doesn't have a religion other than "make money," by definition, so it shouldn't have any religious rights.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

razorrozar posted:

He's not normally this much of a shithead, I swear. I don't know why today has become lovely Opinion Day in our apartment.

His main reasoning is that by forcing the corporation to provide medical care that violates the owners' religious beliefs, they are violating the First Amendment rights of the owner. He refuses to differentiate between the owner as a person and the corporation as an entity.

You can tell him that the supreme court does not agree with his first amendment reasoning, insofar as that is not what they based the decision on and declined to address the issue.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Gregor Samsa posted:

You can tell him that the supreme court does not agree with his first amendment reasoning, insofar as that is not what they based the decision on and declined to address the issue.

Uh yes they do, that's a major piece of the opinion's reasoning.

quote:

As we will show, Congress provided protection for people like the Hahns and Greens by employing a familiar legal fiction: It included corporations within RFRA's definition of "persons." But it is important to keep in mind that the purpose of this fiction is to provide protection for human beings. A corporation is simply a form of organization used by human beings to achieve desired ends. An established body of law specifies the rights and obligations of the people (including shareholders, officers, and employees) who are associated with a corporation in one way or another. When rights, whether constitutional or statutory, are extended to corporations, the purpose is to protect the rights of these people. For example, extending Fourth Amendment protection to corporations protects the privacy interests of employees and others associated with the company. Protecting corporations from government seizure of their property without just compensation protects all those who have a stake in the corporations' financial well-being. And protecting the free-exercise rights [*14] of corporations like Hobby Lobby, Conestoga, and Mardel protects the religious liberty of the humans who own and control those companies.

In holding that Conestoga, as a "secular, for-profit corporation," lacks RFRA protection, the Third Circuit wrote as follows:

"General business corporations do not, separate and apart from the actions or belief systems of their individual owners or employees, exercise religion. They do not pray, worship, observe sacraments or take other religiously-motivated actions separate and apart from the intention and direction of their individual actors." 724 F. 3d, at 385 (emphasis added).

All of this is true-but quite beside the point. Corporations, "separate and apart from" the human beings who own, run, and are employed by them, cannot do anything at all.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 1, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

You could always call him an idiot and laugh at his rebuttals or tell him to shut the gently caress up about politics. Not every encounter has to be a political debate.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

razorrozar posted:

My roommate is saying that this ruling is fine because people aren't forced to work for any company; they choose to, and they can choose to leave, so the company isn't forcing its religion on its workers. Can someone better at debating than me rebut this?

The business owner doesn't need to own a business either.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

esquilax posted:

Uh yes they do, that's a major piece of the opinion's reasoning.

The RFRA is not the First Amendment. They punted on the First Amendment question, as far as I understand. I think this is noted in Ginsbergs dissent, and in any case was mentioned on SCOTUSblog as well. I'm on a phone, otherwise I'd try to track it down.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Gregor Samsa posted:

The RFRA is not the First Amendment. They punted on the First Amendment question, as far as I understand. I think this is noted in Ginsbergs dissent, and in any case was mentioned on SCOTUSblog as well. I'm on a phone, otherwise I'd try to track it down.

You're right, my bad. I thought you were talking about individual/corporate rights not the differentiation between RFRA rights/1A rights

esquilax fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 1, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Space Gopher posted:

A corporation is a piece of paper that we give certain legal rights for the sake of convenience, and to encourage certain behaviors (like investment) by limiting liability. Corporations can be formed for religious reasons, but that's not why Hobby Lobby exists - it's a for-profit corporation, so it exists to turn a profit for its owners, not to advance a religious purpose. Regardless of the noises that Hobby Lobby's owners might make about serving Jesus, that's not why Hobby Lobby exists. If they really wanted to make a religious corporation, then they could make a non-profit corporation that actually does exist for a religious purpose and gives its proceeds to missionary work, feeding the poor, or whatever other religious beliefs the owners actually wanted to advance, rather than a corporation that exists for the sake of turning a profit and returning that profit to its owners.

The corporation doesn't have a religion other than "make money," by definition, so it shouldn't have any religious rights.

I asked this in the GBS thread but that got lovely quickly. Let's say the government decided to mandate certain companies should make the drugs for lethal injections. The owners of a pharmaceutical company objects and says that their religious beliefs prevent them from supporting the death penalty. Do they not have a right to object to the government's mandate?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

StashAugustine posted:

I asked this in the GBS thread but that got lovely quickly. Let's say the government decided to mandate certain companies should make the drugs for lethal injections. The owners of a pharmaceutical company objects and says that their religious beliefs prevent them from supporting the death penalty. Do they not have a right to object to the government's mandate?

You'd have to get past the legality of the government forcing a company to produce X before you even got to the question of religion.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering does this ruling conflict with the establishment of religion?

This ruling has stated that this specific religious belief is valid, but others like blood transfusion and vaccines are not. Correct? It appears that the court is deciding which religious beliefs apply and which do not arbitrarily. How is that not showing a religious preference?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Deadulus posted:

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering does this ruling conflict with the establishment of religion?

This ruling has stated that this specific religious belief is valid, but others like blood transfusion and vaccines are not. Correct? It appears that the court is deciding which religious beliefs apply and which do not arbitrarily. How is that not showing a religious preference?

Of course it's showing a religious preference.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Deadulus posted:

This ruling has stated that this specific religious belief is valid, but others like blood transfusion and vaccines are not. Correct?

No.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does this mean basically that any company that has to give ACA quality healthcare can now deny stuff to employers based off "religious beliefs" pretty much invalidating any gains employees got from the ACA in the first place? Or does this only count in the case of contraceptives?

Thanks.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Let's say the sky was purple and gravity repulsed things while we're making hypotheticals with tenuous connections to the case at hand. Boy that'd be a pickle.

Can we cut to the chase of what your point is going to be related to this case rather than walking through some elaborate logic example where we have 20 replies back and forth before we get to that point? If you think for-profit companies should or shouldn't be able to express the religious objections of their owners over the interests of the employees / the government just lay that out and explain why.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 1, 2014

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This poo poo doesn't even piss me off anymore. :smith:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I thought that the argument qualified this to just these specific BC drugs and for just a specific type of company. Is that incorrect?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mo_Steel posted:

Let's say the sky was purple and gravity repulsed things while we're making hypotheticals with tenuous connections to the case at hand while we're at it. Boy that'd be a pickle.

Seriously, maybe you should cut to the chase of what your point is going to be related to this case rather than walk us through some elaborate logic example where we have 20 replies back and forth before we get to that point.

The point of the hypothetical was that the government was forcing a corporation to pay for something which was against the religious beliefs of its owners. I was simply trying to put it in terms of something most people here would probably consider immoral.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Deadulus posted:

The argument qualified this to just these specific BC drugs and for just a specific type of company.

This statement is correct. It could be expanded in future cases, however.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

This statement is correct. It could be expanded in future cases, however.

Ok. Thank you.

Which would seem that they are specifying a head of time what religious beliefs apply. That appears to conflict with that the government can not establish religion.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Deadulus posted:

Ok. Thank you.

Which would seem that they are specifying a head of time what religious beliefs apply. That appears to conflict with that the government can not establish religion.

The rationale focusing on the specific provisions in question is apparently a mess. I'd recommend seeing what other folks in the thread have already written, or look to the scotusblog coverage. I can't comment on or study this stuff too much since I'm now beginning my bar exam review. Pray for me.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 1, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

The point of the hypothetical was that the government was forcing a corporation to pay for something which was against the religious beliefs of its owners. I was simply trying to put it in terms of something most people here would probably consider immoral.

To generalize, I think most people here understand the objection being raised by Hobby Lobby already but simply disagree with it. I myself don't find it acceptable (and further don't believe it should be legal) for the owners of a for-profit corporation to exercise their religious beliefs through said separate legal entity to not follow laws that serve a compelling government interest. Especially not when those objections have negative consequences on the health and well-being of employees who may or may not have the same beliefs. How do you stand on the issue?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 1, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

They weren't being forced to pay for anything against their religious beliefs. They were forced to pay for insurance. When they pay the insurance company, the money from them and from all others goes into a big pool of money. Once someone covered by the insurance submits a claim, the insurance company removes money from that pool and pays it to the healthcare provider on behalf of the person insured. Once the money enters the pool, the distinction of whose dollar was whose before becomes literally meaningless.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I just wanted to thank you guys for your skilled analyses on everything today, and indeed, forever. It comes in handy when I get bored and want to call out friends on Facebook.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They weren't being forced to pay for anything against their religious beliefs. They were forced to pay for insurance. When they pay the insurance company, the money from them and from all others goes into a big pool of money. Once someone covered by the insurance submits a claim, the insurance company removes money from that pool and pays it to the healthcare provider on behalf of the person insured. Once the money enters the pool, the distinction of whose dollar was whose before becomes literally meaningless.

As I recall, Hobby Lobby self-insures. There's no 'others' in this situation.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Dystram posted:

You'd have to get past the legality of the government forcing a company to produce X before you even got to the question of religion.

Is there any case law on the right of corporations to be free from bills of attainder?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Deadulus posted:

I thought that the argument qualified this to just these specific BC drugs and for just a specific type of company. Is that incorrect?

It was limited in that way because those were the facts of the case. Expanding it to more companies involves other issues that weren't argued. Other medical procedures didn't have the non-profit accommodation already in place.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

It was limited in that way because those were the facts of the case. Expanding it to more companies involves other issues that weren't argued. Other medical procedures didn't have the non-profit accommodation already in place.

They specified what this applied to, in advance. They have established that yes religion is an argument for (some) companies to make in court. Then stated, but this only applies to a certain religious belief. I assume because they had the self awareness to understand they just opened a line of argument that could negate virtually any law.

So, ahead of time, they had stated what applies and what does not. How is that not establishing religion?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Deadulus posted:

They specified what this applied to, in advance. They have established that yes religion is an argument for (some) companies to make in court. Then stated, but this only applies to a certain religious belief. I assume because they had the self awareness to understand they just opened a line of argument that could negate virtually any law.

So, ahead of time, they had stated what applies and what does not. How is that not establishing religion?

Because that's not what they said. There was nothing about relative validity of religious beliefs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Farking Bastage posted:

This poo poo doesn't even piss me off anymore. :smith:

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Deadulus posted:

They specifically refused to evaluate whether the HHS exemption policy itself was valid. They just ruled that, given its existence, closely held for-profit corporations must also qualify.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

That was one of the arguments. The other one was

The dissenters would have struck down the law based on free exercise infringement.

Two of the people who concurred in part and dissented in part in a seperate, linked case held that:

quote:

The Court has demonstrated the public need for a weekly surcease from worldly labor, and set forth the considerations of convenience which have led the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to fix Sunday as the time for that respite. I would approach this case differently, from the point of view of the individuals whose liberty is - concededly - curtailed by these enactments. For the values of the First Amendment, as embodied in the Fourteenth, look primarily towards the preservation of personal liberty, rather than towards the fulfillment of collective goals.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=366&page=599

They then merely cited this case in dissent, their clear reasoning being that the blue laws burdened Orthodox Jews as individuals in any profession.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

It sounded as if you were implying there was some pre-existing statutory scheme that extended RFRA-like religious rights based on nonprofit status. Unless the courts decided that only corporations organized under a nonprofit provision of their state law had free exercise rights, which would be bizarre.

No. I am saying the legal fiction exists for a reason, and you must understand the reason it exists to understand when it does and does not apply. Your analysis starts and stops with the legal fiction and at no time deals with why the law says something we all know is false - that a non-profit organization has a religion - and at no point understands it. Someone posted earlier in the thread where the majority opinion at least recognizes this is a fiction, but then simply ignores the differences between a for-profit corporation and a not for profit organization as it applies to if the organization should be said to have a religion.

You're mindlessly repeating a legal fiction at me and telling me that you don't understand why it applies to A and not B. It's because of why the legal fiction exists in the first place: that once you understand why we pretend some organizations have a religion you understand why it doesn't apply.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Amarkov posted:

They specifically refused to evaluate whether the HHS exemption policy itself was valid. They just ruled that, given its existence, closely held for-profit corporations must also qualify.

Ok. So my understanding the ruling was incorrect.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Deadulus posted:

How is that not establishing religion?
My understanding is that RFRA provides for any law that impinges upon the exercise of religion to be tested to see if it is the "least restrictive" means of enacting the goal of a specific law. So anyone can challenge a law on the basis of RFRA (and keep in mind that US v. Seeger defines religion very broadly to include moral convictions) and the court will rule on that test. Some things, like arguing that your religious beliefs exempt you from tax or anti-discrimination laws won't fly, because the laws themselves are the least restrictive means of going about the goal of funding a government or ending discrimination. The belief itself is not tested for validity, the law is merely being checked to make sure that no accommodation can be made for individual conscience.

While I'm usually pretty leftist I find myself squarely in agreement with majority on this one. Health and Human Services already had grandfathered in insurance plans to the ACA which did not cover contraception and allowed non-profits an exemption, there was no reason for-profit companies should not have the same protections. The court had already given for-profit businesses (specifically Kosher butchers) legal standing in past cases about the free exercise of religion. Further, a lot of religious lobbying groups don't operate as non-profits to let themselves engage in political activism, but they are clearly religious groups.

I will remind people that the RFRA was a creation of Ted Kennedy and was a bi-partisan effort. It's what prevents states from creating laws that businesses should be closed on Sundays and driving Jewish businesses out of business when they can't open any days on the weekend, it was intended to address the injustice of Native Americans being arrested for peyote use. Upholding the RFRA is something leftists should be dedicated to.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
OK.... so, I agree that the decision was not just wrong, but based on idiotic and weak reasoning, but...

... why is this being treated as such huge earth-shaking news, and why are we devoting hundreds of posts to it? This ruling impacts almost no one. (If you are a largish private company aside from Hobby Lobby or Chik-Fil-A, you won't do this, and if you are a small employer, you wont be big enough for the insurance companies to cater to your weird contraception requests)

In the bigger picture, yes this will be inconvenient for a very small number of women, but democrats are probably going to hold the white house for the forseeable future and as soon as one of the old conservatives die, this will be reversed.

This morning I was more focused on the labor union decision. I was mildly annoyed at the SCOTUS making a dumb decision about this contraception thing, but I'm shocked at how big of a deal this is becoming in the news.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ironically if they had noticed earlier they were covering objectionable forms of contraception, their plan wouldn't have needed to be changed and thus ineligible for grandfathering.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Northjayhawk posted:

OK.... so, I agree that the decision was not just wrong, but based on idiotic and weak reasoning, but...

... why is this being treated as such huge earth-shaking news, and why are we devoting hundreds of posts to it? This ruling impacts almost no one. (If you are a largish private company aside from Hobby Lobby or Chik-Fil-A, you won't do this, and if you are a small employer, you wont be big enough for the insurance companies to cater to your weird contraception requests)

In the bigger picture, yes this will be inconvenient for a very small number of women, but democrats are probably going to hold the white house for the forseeable future and as soon as one of the old conservatives die, this will be reversed.

This morning I was more focused on the labor union decision. I was mildly annoyed at the SCOTUS making a dumb decision about this contraception thing, but I'm shocked at how big of a deal this is becoming in the news.

To me, it's a big deal because it's the first time the door has been opened to grant for-profit corporations 1st Amendment religious freedoms.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

evilweasel posted:

Two of the people who concurred in part and dissented in part in a seperate, linked case held that:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=366&page=599

They then merely cited this case in dissent, their clear reasoning being that the blue laws burdened Orthodox Jews as individuals in any profession.

And Douglas did not. The point is that there was at least some for-profit invocation of the Free Exercise Clause, and it wasn't dismissed as frivolous.

quote:

No. I am saying the legal fiction exists for a reason, and you must understand the reason it exists to understand when it does and does not apply. Your analysis starts and stops with the legal fiction and at no time deals with why the law says something we all know is false - that a non-profit organization has a religion - and at no point understands it. Someone posted earlier in the thread where the majority opinion at least recognizes this is a fiction, but then simply ignores the differences between a for-profit corporation and a not for profit organization as it applies to if the organization should be said to have a religion.

You're mindlessly repeating a legal fiction at me and telling me that you don't understand why it applies to A and not B. It's because of why the legal fiction exists in the first place: that once you understand why we pretend some organizations have a religion you understand why it doesn't apply.

I understand the fiction just fine. There's no coherent reason to distinguish between the two:

quote:

Is it because of the corporate form? The corporate form alone cannot provide the explanation because, as we have pointed out, HHS concedes that nonprofit corporations can be protected by RFRA. The dissent suggests that nonprofit
corporations are special because furthering their religious “autonomy . . . often furthers individual religious
freedom as well.” Post, at 15 (quoting Corporation of Presiding Bishop of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints v. Amos, 483 U. S. 327, 342 (1987) (Brennan, J., concurring in judgment)). But this principle applies equally to for-profit corporations: Furthering their religious freedom also “furthers individual religious freedom.” In these cases, for example, allowing Hobby Lobby, Conestoga, and Mardel to assert RFRA claims protects the religious liberty of the Greens and the Hahns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Northjayhawk posted:

As the court points out it likely will actually affect no one, provided the current administration doesn't try and make it deliberately harm women to make a point. They were passing the cost of the contraceptive care of employees of nonprofits with exemptions onto the insurers, no reason the federal government couldn't do that here. One of the amicus briefs even points out that it actually saves money for most employers not to offer any care rather than apply for an exemption, in which case the federal government would be providing the ACA coverage anyway. I kind of doubt any women will be affected directly by this ruling.

Now if RFRA had been overturned, that we would all be lamenting in a few years as more conservative states passed laws that harmed minority religious groups.