Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Che Delilas posted:

Dear God why did you have McAfee prodcuts within 100 meters of a server environment?

Because Ontological inertia is a goddamn bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ratbert90 posted:

YOTJ! :toot:

My current boss helped me get in touch with a few of his fellow co-workers at a gigantic tech company in the Valley. They have a memory testing application that runs on dos that they are replacing in a few months with Linux, and they need a guy who can has experience with traversing the Linux kernel source and writing drivers/custom IOCTLs.

It's only for 200 hours to start, but in the meantime I am going to contract with my current boss and he has work for me to do after I am done with my short term stint at gigantic company. Pay is increased by 120%, but the commute time increases from 10 minutes on a main road to 45 minutes on main roads and a freeway at the new company. I think I can deal with it.

When I come back to my current job pay is going to increase 60% over my current salary.

Good Monday so far!

Just bear in mind that you're in for a shock regarding cost of living. Silicon valley is obscenely expensive. By 120% increase, I'm going to hope you mean that they're paying more than double what you're making now, because otherwise you're probably taking a bath.

Plan out your itinerary now so that you have an idea how much this will cost you, and make sure that you've got that money freed up, plus two weeks for payroll mistakes.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Doesn't sound like he's moving.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Volmarias posted:

Just bear in mind that you're in for a shock regarding cost of living. Silicon valley is obscenely expensive. By 120% increase, I'm going to hope you mean that they're paying more than double what you're making now, because otherwise you're probably taking a bath.

Plan out your itinerary now so that you have an idea how much this will cost you, and make sure that you've got that money freed up, plus two weeks for payroll mistakes.

Living in the bay area is like living with a beautiful woman who beats the poo poo out of you and steals your money.

Having said that, go live there for a few years and enjoy the beautiful landscape and weather, get lots of good experience, and get out before you have kids or get married.

EDIT: Or if youre not moving, ignore me.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
:yotj:

Offer letter came in but I was pretty bummed about it - I put down a number that I was pretty certain they would laugh at and reduce, but the bastards tricked me and accepted it. It's only an 87.5% raise over what I currently make, and 27% more than I made prior to the contract change, so I think I shall sit here and cry over my soon-to-be fat checkbook.

In actuality I'm pretty happy about things - I'll be moving from hardware support as a server technician to working as an Exchange Admin. Couldn't have happened at a better time - I've exhausted my emergency fund of cash after my company retroactively corrected their accounting mistake and took my entire paycheck two weeks ago. Time to sit down and figure out my budget so I can repay all my debts and set aside a nice chunk of change for whatever.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Well the CEO sent mail to 500 recipients last week and now we're on the messagelabs blacklist. But messagelabs doesnt tell you that you're on it - they just take your mail and dont deliver it to the recipient.

Messagelabs wont talk to me without a support contract. What a mess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Swink posted:

Messagelabs wont talk to me without a support contract. What a mess.

Sounds like a pretty solid scam on their part.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Roargasm posted:

Doesn't sound like he's moving.

He still needs lodging, transportation, food, entertainment, etc. unless he's working purely remotely. I'm just suggesting that he look at the prices for all of these things now rather than later, since they're pretty obscene.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

hihifellow posted:

Ask me about our 30 Server 2003 Citrix app servers all running McAfee. Go on, ask me :unsmigghh:

Tell me about your 30 Server 2003 Citrix app servers all running McAfee. :allears:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sounds like a pretty solid scam on their part.

The word "extortion" comes to mind. Talk to your Legal department?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Today I got a TWC phone tech to admit that the problem was with their equipment and setup an appointment for the next day to come out and solve it. In around 5 minutes of call time.

I'm pissed off because now I've seen the light and from now on I will be plunged back into the subterranean dungeon of ISP support experiences.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, the valley in this context refers to the treasure valley. :v:

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Today I got a TWC phone tech to admit that the problem was with their equipment and setup an appointment for the next day to come out and solve it. In around 5 minutes of call time.

I'm pissed off because now I've seen the light and from now on I will be plunged back into the subterranean dungeon of ISP support experiences.

My ISP drove a spade through a fibre line at my exchange recently and still made me test with a different router before admitting it might be their fault.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Sir_Substance posted:

Tell me about your 30 Server 2003 Citrix app servers all running McAfee. :allears:

10 of them are dying and getting replaced with the same OS still running McAfee because something about getting P2V'ed (the other 20 have always been VMs) causes McAfee to overflow in the kernel memory and kills the host after anywhere from a day to a week. For whatever reason they were fine for about 2 years but a month ago we started getting calls from the helpdesk on users unable to launch apps at the middle of the night because they won't die at sensible time like 3pm, no it has to be 1am when they die and need to be rebooted.

It all goes away in a few months for Server 2012r2 hosts running XenApp 7.5 and maybe Sophos if it plays nice, probably nothing if it doesn't.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
In a tangentially related story, I had a lot of fun last week unfucking a network share by proxy (we outsource our IT admin stuff, I'm a software developer so it's not technically my problem and thus I don't have admin access to the server but in reality...) because the windows machines could connect but the linux machines couldn't. Turns out Symantec had pushed an update to their AV that was stopping all linux machines from connecting to the share :confuoot:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Sir_Substance posted:

In a tangentially related story, I had a lot of fun last week unfucking a network share by proxy (we outsource our IT admin stuff, I'm a software developer so it's not technically my problem and thus I don't have admin access to the server but in reality...) because the windows machines could connect but the linux machines couldn't. Turns out Symantec had pushed an update to their AV that was stopping all linux machines from connecting to the share :confuoot:
There's a super secret group policy in Windows 7 that prevents Windows 7 from connecting to non-Windows machines over SMB. It's not called this though, looking at the policy name you would never know what it does, I can't even remember what it's called. :hehe:

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
I am not surprised by this news in the slightest.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pissing me off every day lately: HR!

HR just sent out an email notifying everyone that 'back by popular demand!' they would start notifying everyone monthly of whose birthday it was that month. Only, you have to log into an external website to get to the announcement, which is contained in a .docx file you have to download. Most of our staff won't even be able to open it, because the majority of our clinical laptops don't have Office installed on them. Not that anyone is actually going to bother logging into that site in the first place. I shot them back an email to let them know, and suggested they just send out the info as the body of an email since that would really simplify the process. Their response? "Could they access a PDF instead?"

Oh also last week my boss got into an almost argument with the other HR staffer over the fact that they do not really want to bother confirming the SPELLING OF A NEW EMPLOYEES NAME before sending off that info to IT and other departments.

:bang:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

Oh also last week my boss got into an almost argument with the other HR staffer over the fact that they do not really want to bother confirming the SPELLING OF A NEW EMPLOYEES NAME before sending off that info to IT and other departments.

The number of times this happened at my old place was insane. I always felt like an rear end doing new employee orientation for Jamie Reed when her real name was Jayme Read.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sirotan posted:

At the last place HR would not only mess up the spellings of names at a high rate, they also had a reputation for messing up the corrected spelling multiple times. It always ended up with HR being pissy and asking us to drop whatever we were doing to finally fix their fuckup.

What I found to be the worst was when I then had to explain cached exchange mode to them EVERY time we went through this which happened to be about once a month.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
poo poo pissing me off today - I was supposed to export a site to live today, but I can't, because well, I don't even loving know why. There's many things but I just can't put my finger on it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Yaos posted:

There's a super secret group policy in Windows 7 that prevents Windows 7 from connecting to non-Windows machines over SMB. It's not called this though, looking at the policy name you would never know what it does, I can't even remember what it's called. :hehe:

There's some obscure settings with samba that will let Win7 clients connect without doing the change, but I don't remember which ones.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Why is there a GPO which enforces deprecated, terrible auth?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evol262 posted:

Why is there a GPO which enforces deprecated, terrible auth?

Don't try to understand the "why". Its hard enough to find all the GPO's you want to use anyway.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Users at a remote site moved an expensive, leased, under-maintenance-contract printer and did not bother to tell me. Start using some old HP that is there only for emergency cases when all other printers have gone down. Now that they are having some printing issues, they ask me to send out a tech. Tech arrives at site and finds no problems. Manager tells me I sent out the wrong tech. I question her further and find out what has happened. She tells me "well, it's been like this ever since I've been here!" Bullshit.

They're printing a couple thousand copies a day on an HP 4000 when the MFP is languishing in the corner.

This is the same site that used to have the $1600/mo Xerox.

:smithicide:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I'm on vacation for the first time in 8 years! :toot:

poo poo pissing me off today: someone in reception has been giving out my personal cell number (which I never gave out to anyone, they all have my GV number) and email address whenever vendors call in because I guess they think I run IT here instead of my boss. This is great because it means I get to now deal with people who don't understand the phrase "never call me again". This one particular rear end in a top hat has spammed my phone six times now and leaves 45 second voicemails that's just him sucking on candy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've just asked the simplest question of my IT career.

If this is a crisis by the time my department learns about it, why not simply tell us earlier?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Although it's natural for me to ask questions like this it has cost me, over and over again.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Helushune posted:

I'm on vacation for the first time in 8 years! :toot:

:stare:

What in the hell. Eight years?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

hihifellow posted:

10 of them are dying and getting replaced with the same OS still running McAfee because something about getting P2V'ed (the other 20 have always been VMs) causes McAfee to overflow in the kernel memory and kills the host after anywhere from a day to a week.

Do you have their Host Intrusion Prevention installed? I'm guessing it's that. It installs a bunch of poo poo that you can see in device manager if you enable the 'Show Hidden Devices' option.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

TWBalls posted:

Do you have their Host Intrusion Prevention installed? I'm guessing it's that. It installs a bunch of poo poo that you can see in device manager if you enable the 'Show Hidden Devices' option.

Don't think so, but there are some McAfee devices in there, one of which is the one I think is the culprit; it was behaving when I was running poolmon but by then the server was out of production.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sir_Substance posted:

every windows server where I work runs McAfee. I am glad I'm a linux guy.

I had an argument with a QA person today. They can't seem to understand that VM's don't require iLO addresses, because theres no real out-of-band management for a VM, its all vsphere. But noooo. QA redlined 175 servers yesterdayt because none of them had iLO addresses documented. They were all VM's.

Also redlined because they supposedly didn't have the backup network documented, which was RIGHT THERE on the config database and visio. I will weep quietly tonight.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I had an argument with a QA person today. They can't seem to understand that VM's don't require iLO addresses, because theres no real out-of-band management for a VM, its all vsphere. But noooo. QA redlined 175 servers yesterdayt because none of them had iLO addresses documented. They were all VM's.

Also redlined because they supposedly didn't have the backup network documented, which was RIGHT THERE on the config database and visio. I will weep quietly tonight.

Is this a 3rd party auditor?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

nitrogen posted:

In general, most people are completely stupid about virtualization. I can see the eyes glaze over when I even try to explain something simple.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Your QA department has way too much power at that level of knowledge, holy poo poo

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

kensei posted:

:stare:

What in the hell. Eight years?

Outside of unemployment, I haven't had a vacation of more than a day to extend a weekend in over 4 years.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had a week long "vacation" where I stayed at home and studied for the RHCSA. Other than that I haven't had a vacation ever in my working life. I'm 26 and started working when I was 17.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Jesus wept.

You guys are doing this "life" thing all wrong. :smith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Agrikk posted:

Jesus wept.

You guys are doing this "life" thing all wrong. :smith:

I'm 26 and am at my first job with PTO, and I've already used up almost all of my days for the year.

Seriously guys, take a week here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Man, you people are crazy. I take at least a couple trips a year; I like to go visit another country every other year or so, and drive up to the mountains or down to the beach for a week in between. I'd go nuts if I went a year without taking a vacation, much less several.

If you get paid vacation time and you aren't using it, that's dumb. Even if you can't afford a big trip, wherever you live there are probably several places within half a day's drive that are worth spending a few days to a week visiting. And if you're completely broke or something, hell, spending a week sitting out on your porch drinking beer and watching the sun rise and set is better than working nonstop for years at a time. And don't let your company try to make you feel guilty for taking a vacation; it's part of your compensation and you have every right to use it, and if they literally can't function without you for a single week, then that's their fault for not staffing adequately and planning for occasional absences.