Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

Modding Things from Onmni.

Per some suggestions from our Starbound Modding channel. I’ve been exploring options to make how we do JSON merging better. And I would like comments from current modders on this.

As you’re no doubt aware, currently, the system in place has a big limitation, in that it doesn’t have the ability to address any point conceptually below a list. This has been discussed a bunch, and one interesting result of that discussion has been a JSON patching RFC being brought to my attention. I’ve spoken with the modding channel on freenode and they were more or less welcoming of this change, even though it would invalidate all files which use “__merge”.

I really don’t want two different JSON patching systems running at the same time for reasons of complexity and weirdness. So I’d like to take a vote. If you are currently a modder, and you’re currently using our __merge system, would you rather have __merge eliminated and use the new system, or would you rather I go back to the drawing board and figure out a way to fix the __merge system, which may or may not actually be possible?

I have no idea what any of that actually means. But I hope the end result is as practical and headache free for all you hard working Goons as possible.

Which I somehow suspect caps off at "Well, I don't QUITE want to kill myself?" levels of frustration.

EDIT: Oh hello new page, when quoting an awkward to quote post :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

CJacobs posted:

Y'know what's more annoying than people who won't shut the gently caress up about their entitlement? People who won't shut the gently caress up about other people shutting the gently caress up. Idiots who comment angrily on blog posts thrive on attention, mostly from the people they are trying to be angry at, and being posted all over one of the few civil places gives them that attention. "Haha look at X forum being bad at community discussion!" can only be funny for so long before it starts stifling the people making fun of it because it's all they talk about inbetween mod developer posts.

It's not like there's anything to talk about in terms of Starbound development.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Section Z posted:

I have no idea what any of that actually means. But I hope the end result is as practical and headache free for all you hard working Goons as possible.

Basically, if I want to change how an existing item or thing works or add new things to the game, I need to use _merge commands, and include the entire structure of the thing I'm changing, even if I'm changing one little thing.

For a minor example, the little mod I made that makes the lantern on a stick twice as bright and gives you air, I needed to basically copy the entire body of the "statusEffects" section of that item, even though I was only changing one thing about it and adding one thing to it. Otherwise, it didn't work right.

With the proposed change, I could probably in theory have a more pinpointed mod that just changes the light brightness without having to include everything else, and thus it would play nice with a mod that made all the lantern on a sticks blue light instead of white light.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

From what I gathered it's basically asking if modders want them to spend a little extra time and work setting up a new system that would ultimately make it easier to mod the game, even if it invalidates current mods out right now.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Don't update Agarian Skies if you have any kind of infrastructure already in place.

I did and all my quests got messed up, there is a massive overhaul to the quests now so the rewards are smaller and you have to submit lesser amounts before it opens up the large amounts stuff.

Also I cannot get the quest to visit the nether to work whatever I try.

Wow, completley the wrong thread, serves me right for posting after a 15 hour shift..

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

It... It doesn't even say you edited that post...

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
chucked it in the game to see how it looks so far

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

John Lee posted:

If you edit within a few seconds or minutes, it doesn't show up.

e: Like here.

Further edit:

Party Alarm posted:

chucked it in the game to see how it looks so far

Continues to look like a thing I want.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

From what I gathered it's basically asking if modders want them to spend a little extra time and work setting up a new system that would ultimately make it easier to mod the game, even if it invalidates current mods out right now.

Rampaging Koala will invalidate the Enraged Koala mods. Hell, actual new content could render old mods irrelevant. And if modders don't care about mods that never get updated again, there's no reason for us to either.

John Lee posted:

Yeah, you get two minutes to make emergency corrections.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AceClown posted:

Don't update Agarian Skies if you have any kind of infrastructure already in place.

I did and all my quests got messed up, there is a massive overhaul to the quests now so the rewards are smaller and you have to submit lesser amounts before it opens up the large amounts stuff.

Also I cannot get the quest to visit the nether to work whatever I try.

Wow, completley the wrong thread, serves me right for posting after a 15 hour shift..

Jerk, I thought Starbound had added quests in the time since I last played. :mad:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Jerk, I thought Starbound had added quests in the time since I last played. :mad:

It's possible it'll be in the next release. I think the AI is the start of the npc and quest stuff. Im actually super pumped for this version, there will be a lot of stuff to do for us race modders.

Also every new version breaks my mods. I don't really care, I already started to amalgamate my armors and stuff together so I only have to fix poo poo once.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 28, 2014

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Rampaging Koala will invalidate the Enraged Koala mods. Hell, actual new content could render old mods irrelevant. And if modders don't care about mods that never get updated again, there's no reason for us to either.

Yeah, you get two minutes to make emergency corrections.

Whoa, really? I could've sworn otherwise...

Well, no time like the present!

On topic: General like of the mushroom people is shared by me. I like them.

(quick test edit)

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Can this game be played in offline mode, or do you have to be online? I want to give it a try.

disclaimer: I'm on satellite internet, so I have a very limited data cap and very high latency. I've learned to ask before buying.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Watommi posted:

Can this game be played in offline mode, or do you have to be online? I want to give it a try.

If you want to play alone you can play singleplayer, no problem.
The game doesn't have any online DRM and it doesn't force you to connect to any servers.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Watommi posted:

disclaimer: I'm on satellite internet, so I have a very limited data cap and very high latency. I've learned to ask before buying.

Condolences

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yes, you can play this game offline, but it's akin to other block sandboxes, as it does it's best when in multiplayer with a couple of other idiots on mumble. I'd also wait for it to be more finished before grabbing it, as there's not much to do in single player except collect items and gently caress about with mods the community has made so far.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
This is probably a stupid question, but is there a player editor that will allow you to "unlearn" recipes?

I used the Spawnable Item Pack to generate some new wheat seeds, but I didn't want every Tech!

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."

dragon_pamcake posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a player editor that will allow you to "unlearn" recipes?

I used the Spawnable Item Pack to generate some new wheat seeds, but I didn't want every Tech!

Starcheat should do the trick.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/starcheat.699/

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Looks like that did it. Thank you!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Really surprised there's no Ork race yet for this. A buddy of mine was taking a swing at it, but he's the only person who cant run Starbound it'd seem! Ridiculous FPS drop etc.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Turn off the steam overlay in the rightclick options for the game. That usually does it. If not, try the different versions it gives upon launching, or wait for an optimization pass.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hi guys it's been about 7 months since I last played. What new stuff is in?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Hi guys it's been about 7 months since I last played. What new stuff is in?

Horsetits.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/poll-space-battle-royale-glitch-a-i-edition.81243/

Go vote for Horsetits and FREEDOM :911:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 1, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Glad we're entering this bold new era of letting loud crybabies have whatever they want.

VVV Wizard's cool yeah, but it's the PRINCIPLE OF THE MATTER

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 1, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I don't know man, I'm not bothered by horse tits but that robot wizard is pretty loving neato.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Clearly all goon mods should automatically and secretly change all AI's to the horse.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Quick we need a robot wizard with tits!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Starbound Twitter posted:

@StarboundGame 10m
It was never gonna be the horse, you guys. :P

:argh:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

'uhh drat, the community sure is whinning about the horse ai.. should we just say something like we never were going to use it??'

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Let's be honest. The horse was always pretty dumb. That's what made it funny! But I do prefer something that fits with the style of the Glitch.

I hope the horse can be an option elsewhere though. Nothing saying you have to keep your starting AI, right?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babyface Mingo posted:

'uhh drat, the community sure is whinning about the horse ai.. should we just say something like we never were going to use it??'

It totally wasn't going to be the horse from the get-go, seriously *locks thread immediately after stating this*

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tenebrais posted:

Let's be honest. The horse was always pretty dumb. That's what made it funny! But I do prefer something that fits with the style of the Glitch.
I agree, the wizard is pretty rad and fits their style more. The horse was funny, but never really said "Glitch" to me. That said, I agree with Babe Magnet, this does seem like flustered backpedaling.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
There is only one fair solution. Anthromare race (pun intended).

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Well, I'm sold. :3:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That "wizard" is clearly a dubiously magical robot with a fake beard in the general vicinity of its face and a live rabbit in its hat.

It is perfect and needs no alteration.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
That wizard makes me want to play Glitch now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I

And in 70s acid trip flavor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012
Obviously the horse AI was a ruse to out all the crazies in need of severe ban-hammering.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Being able to craft the horse AI as an upgrade for your ship just as a middle finger to people who didn't like it would be wonderful. If it doesn't exist, I will mod it so that it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is an excellent wizard, and while the wizard makes far more sense from a lore perspective, I want the horse to be an option somewhere in the game.

Maybe just as a random find in a chest that you can plug into your ship and have a crazy horsetit computer.

• Locked thread