Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, except all of that is beside the point. These guys know exactly why they're shooting at JC, and from their point of view it is completely 100% justifiable. They're JC Denton 48 hours ago.

JC Denton 48 hours ago, without any belief they can take this guy down non-lethally.

Are the attack robots helping or hurting that impression, I wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Glazius posted:

JC Denton 48 hours ago, without any belief they can take this guy down non-lethally.

Are the attack robots helping or hurting that impression, I wonder?

Hey man when I first did the liberty island levels I was grateful as poo poo for the killbots on my side.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

We now return to our regularly scheduled, um, schedule.

Handouts:

Public Bulletin: New Cremation Center
Public Bulletin: MARTIAL LAW
Public Bulletin: Government Shutdowns
Public Bulletin: Transit Disruptions
Public Bulletin: MOST WANTED
Joe Greene's Image
New York Voice: Party Against Tomorrow

Known misses: No known unknowns.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's interesting that the only two people or so whose dialogue changes according to the Triad change are two people who were rather supportive of the status quo: You had a drunk guy who was totally gungho into throwing you to the Red Arrow and acts rather cynical about the merger due to how the Luminous Path was perceived as weak and that nothing could ever touch Chinese organizations, and then you have the news stand girl who proceeded to see the merger as a temporary silly thing (again, because of "them fighting all the time" and because of the power exchange). Meanwhile, the people who figured out what was going on, both Luminous Pathers, Red Arrowers and the random people really aren't so affected by either Maggie's demise or the merger.

(And given that Gordon Quick was crushing on Max Chen's daughter, unless they've been dating for quite a looong time I can imagine the merger getting really awkward.)

Posted this before the update!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Felt so bad when you kept making Dowd talk. Give that man a cough drop!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I guess that public bulletin means they put two in the back of Manderley's head after all.

I also love that they're charging you with Lebedev's murder.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So the barkeeper tattles on you if you mention Dowd?

Welp. I've always wondered where that thug came from because Greene's never lived through any of my playthroughs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I want to know why they always know JCD is in the area. Not the thug, but the MJ-12 troops that spawn after you meet with Dowd. No matter how few people you speak to, they somehow always know you're there.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

double nine posted:

I want to know why they always know JCD is in the area. Not the thug, but the MJ-12 troops that spawn after you meet with Dowd. No matter how few people you speak to, they somehow always know you're there.

Probably has something to do with the live video feed crammed into your head. Daedalus and Jacobson are probably helping to mask your signal, but I'd be surprised if they still couldn't track your general vicinity.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Probably has something to do with the live video feed crammed into your head. Daedalus and Jacobson are probably helping to mask your signal, but I'd be surprised if they still couldn't track your general vicinity.

In my case, at least, I figure all those unconscious UNATCO officers and riot cops have something to do with it. If nothing else, I figure the bartender gets the word about JC to UNATCO since you have to visit the bar and UNATCO relays the info to MJ-12. She simply arranges something extra if you also tell her whom you're contacting.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Dump it into the East River. Not that anyone would notice an additional contaminant.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Almost everyone in New York whose going to get infected is infected, and destroying the freighter means the virus won't spread to the rest of the country.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like the approach Human Revolution took to the Illuminati, which compared to DX's romantic amalgam of conspiracies and late 90's pop culture, is a lot more cynical and grounded, matching the change in tone it took to match the time in which it was made.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I assume the cabal of industrialists, not the main plot of controlling everyone through mechanical augmentation? Because if anything I found the Paige plan in DX 1 a lot more .... a lot less saturday morning cartoon villain. Take control of the internet and all its connected systems vs turn humans into literal slave robots.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
If Dowd really was a millenial, he would have taken a selfie with you. :chord:
Also, technically you missed Jojo in the hotel. He has some interesting dialogue.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

AstroWhale posted:

Also, technically you missed Jojo in the hotel. He has some interesting dialogue.

Is Jojo still alive in this playthrough?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Bobbin killed Jojo.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You oughta add the energy recycler to your hotkeys. Unless you've got some patch that changes it, it doesn't do anything unless you turn it on with them iirc.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Paramemetic posted:

I'm with you on the fact that it's pretty easy to get people to do evil things with the right circumstances. On this particular point, though, a lot of research has gone into figuring out why this is counterintuitively not true. Turns out, the vast majority of soldiers in Vietnam deliberately shot high. WWII, also. There is a book, On Killing, by a Lt. Col. Grossman, which investigates the realities of this and tries to find solutions. Truth is, it's still a pain in the rear end to induce normal people to kill readily, and when we succeed, well, there are definitely troubling outcomes.

It's worth noting that there are some caveats to those studies as well as the Milgram experiments; for the Milgram experiments, it should be noted that "only" 34% were induced to administer "lethal" shocks to the testee, and some of the methodology is under question as well. There are assertions that Milgram's volunteers might have been under the impression they were on some kind of reality TV show, which would obviously skew their behavior vs a real-world scenario as well.

Some of the criticisms of Grossman's works include his willingness to take soldier testimony at face value. After all, how honest would you be if someone asked you how often you knowingly shot some poor idiot who just happened to be on the wrong side of your sights? Others have pointed out that if as many people in both conflicts deliberately avoided killing their opponents as the study claims, then the number of casualties (at least on our enemies sides) should be far lower than were reported and later confirmed by outside parties.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 30, 2014

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Blhue posted:

You oughta add the energy recycler to your hotkeys. Unless you've got some patch that changes it, it doesn't do anything unless you turn it on with them iirc.

All the augs are automatically assigned hotkeys. It's easy to forget to activate it though. It's also easy to deactivate it as well which will make it drain power even though no other augs are active. One of the nicest things about the Shifter mod is it makes the power recycler automatic.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Gildiss posted:

Felt so bad when you kept making Dowd talk. Give that man a cough drop!
On the other hand, I LOVE Stanton's voice, he just sounds like a badass, a store-bought Charles Xavier without the wheelchair and psychic powers. But still making me wanna do anything he orders. Good coughing action too, I was kind of impressed with that...and the dialogue music for Return to New York is also pretty great for what very little opportunity you have to hear it.

And now we finally scratch the surface upon the Illuminati...I'm very glad we finally got to hear that corner lecture, it was always something I was rather...inquisitive about and never quite understood HOW such a group existed. Honestly I almost thought they were genuinely made up at one point.

Also...you say Stanton Dowd is a millennial and he is younger than you possibly? How do you come by that? I don't even know how old you are but I am curious as to wonder what you even do for a living to become so incredibly well-read and span so many subjects. I mean there's being well-read and then there's this...plethora of knowledge you have that kind of makes me in awe of you.

Greg Weissman though is one of the best loving comic writers I ever heard, I seriously want to read those comics one day because they sound so amazing to read.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 30, 2014

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Until this point in the game there is no requirement to talk to Harley Filben (you can avoid him on Liberty Island and in the subway). He has some unique dialogue if this is your first time talking to him, which is just another one of the little features in Deus Ex that makes it great.

FILBEN JC Denton... UNATCO's put a price on your head. What're you doing in the city?
JC DENTON How do you know who I am?
FILBEN I'm an agent myself, a double-agent.
JC DENTON Which side?
FILBEN Yours. I report to the NSF and the Illuminati. Harley Filben's the name.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
gently caress ya Gargoyles. They actually have an Illuminati episode somewhere in the first or second season as well (we don't talk about the 3rd season. What 3rd season?) the one where Goliath spends the episode in a creepy madhouse. That episode was the very first time I ever heard the word Illuminati. Of course most of it went way over my head. Deus Ex was the second time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

It's worth noting that there are some caveats to those studies as well as the Milgram experiments; for the Milgram experiments, it should be noted that "only" 34% were induced to administer "lethal" shocks to the testee, and some of the methodology is under question as well. There are assertions that Milgram's volunteers might have been under the impression they were on some kind of reality TV show, which would obviously skew their behavior vs a real-world scenario as well.

Some of the criticisms of Grossman's works include his willingness to take soldier testimony at face value. After all, how honest would you be if someone asked you how often you knowingly shot some poor idiot who just happened to be on the wrong side of your sights? Others have pointed out that if as many people in both conflicts deliberately avoided killing their opponents as the study claims, then the number of casualties (at least on our enemies sides) should be far lower than were reported and later confirmed by outside parties.

One important note to make about the Milgram experiment is that follow-up studies showed that the imposition of authority was directly related to how far the subjects were willing to go. When the person insisting that the experiment continue was a TA and not a scientist, when he admitted that the subject could stop at any time, or even if he simply stood farther away from the subject, the number of people willing to see it through to the end dropped dramatically. As it turns out, the real trick is that people willing to set personal responsibility aside if there is an immediate, trustworthy authority willing to accept that responsibility.

A related study is the Asch conformity experiment. In it, adult subjects were asked questions that a five-year-old could answer correctly, but everybody else in the room, all of whom were in on the experiment, answered first and answered incorrectly. Compared to a negligible failure rate in the control, 75% of subjects agreed with the group at least once, and 25% agreed every time. However, so long as at least one other person gave a correct answer, those numbers dropped significantly.

FinalGamer posted:

Also...you say Stanton Dowd is a millennial and he is younger than you possibly? How do you come by that? I don't even know how old you are but I am curious as to wonder what you even do for a living to become so incredibly well-read and span so many subjects. I mean there's being well-read and then there's this...plethora of knowledge you have that kind of makes me in awe of you.

I'm going on 30 this year, which is around the upper range of what folks are including in the "Millennial" generation. And learning about all this stuff is really just a hobby for me, which is why I'm willing to pun in so much time and effort on something like this.

counterfeitsaint posted:

gently caress ya Gargoyles. They actually have an Illuminati episode somewhere in the first or second season as well (we don't talk about the 3rd season. What 3rd season?) the one where Goliath spends the episode in a creepy madhouse. That episode was the very first time I ever heard the word Illuminati. Of course most of it went way over my head. Deus Ex was the second time.

Don't forget about Angela's partner, who was basically Mulder if Mulder got kicked out of the FBI and joined the NYPD.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 1, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

double nine posted:

I assume the cabal of industrialists, not the main plot of controlling everyone through mechanical augmentation? Because if anything I found the Paige plan in DX 1 a lot more .... a lot less saturday morning cartoon villain. Take control of the internet and all its connected systems vs turn humans into literal slave robots.

Page never wanted to directly control augmentations, just be able to shut them down remotely. Darrow was the one the hosed around with the chip before it was implemented and made technozombies. After that I guess Page just shrugged and went with it

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Oh, and if you were wondering, here's how I did on my third playthrough of Human Revolution:

As it turns out, pacifism is a whole lot easier on New Game+, even on the hardest difficulty. The only reason I didn't get a clean sweep is because "Acquaintances Forgotten" failed to trigger despite how I'm certain I got all the prerequisites during the first visit to Detroit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Oh, and if you were wondering, here's how I did on my third playthrough of Human Revolution:

As it turns out, pacifism is a whole lot easier on New Game+, even on the hardest difficulty. The only reason I didn't get a clean sweep is because "Acquaintances Forgotten" failed to trigger despite how I'm certain I got all the prerequisites during the first visit to Detroit.

Have you played the HR dlc and what did you think of the stinger at the end?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Director's Cut is super buggy even compared to the original. I couldn't finish the dirty cop sidemission in Detroit 1 because a gang member I was supposed to knock out spawned outside the level, on top of the building.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah, Pacifist isn't too hard with the introduction of NG+. It took me longer to actually kill someone by throwing back their own frag grenade than to do a Pacifist run.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

double nine posted:

Have you played the HR dlc and what did you think of the stinger at the end?

That's my achievement list for the Director's Cut, so not only did I play it, I got Factory Zero Pacifist on the hardest difficulty. My opinion on the stinger is, "Well, I guess Human Revolution did well enough to warrant a sequel." I figure it'll take place during the Northwest War since that happens in 2031. I'm not sure who's supposed to be opposing the Illuminati since HR takes place before Bob Page betrays the others, but then it might just be an opposing faction within the organization.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He hasn't openly betrayed them yet, but MJ12 exists by the start of Human Revolution, and the person he's texting in the intro is another member. One of my favorite bits is that you can find a transcript of their conversation in Hengsha, and the person who hacked into Page's or the other person's computer and found it is also the originator of the Nigerian scam email.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

muike posted:

He hasn't openly betrayed them yet, but MJ12 exists by the start of Human Revolution, and the person he's texting in the intro is another member. One of my favorite bits is that you can find a transcript of their conversation in Hengsha, and the person who hacked into Page's or the other person's computer and found it is also the originator of the Nigerian scam email.

Where is this? I don't remember that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's behind the stairs that lead down to the Yozhou district subway. Which I think is near Hengsha Court Gardens?

e: or the Limb clinic

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I didn't even know HR had dlc.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm pretty sure Deus Ex is where I first heard of the Illuminati too. Not to mention the term "Deus Ex (Machina)" itself. Having only ever seen it written on the box art for the game, my friends and I used to pronounce it "Dyoos Ex" rather than "Day-us Ex". :downs: We are Australian though... if that matters.

Especially for its time, Deus Ex really was packed with just... so much information and stuff that computer games didn't cover.

AstroWhale posted:

You know, my niece is like fourteen months old and loves playing with her parents' iphones. She can't even walk yet and she's already worked out all the swiping gestures and whatnot. She loves taking selfies. I happened to accidentally photo-bomb one because I wanted to see what she was doing, and she just turned around and gave me this look...

Kids and their selfies, man.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

paragon1 posted:

I didn't even know HR had dlc.

It's mostly skippable but there's a lot of good background on the Hyron Project and stuff

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but the inclusion of Starbucks in the grid of "secret societies" under Personal Thoughts made me chuckle.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

rabiddeity posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but the inclusion of Starbucks in the grid of "secret societies" under Personal Thoughts made me chuckle.

Why would it do that? It's pretty much known that Starbucks is one of the largest conspiracy groups ever. Why do you think there are multiple Starbucks shops next to each other?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

rabiddeity posted:

Isn't it obvious? (I glossed over the text. The perfectly clear and reasonable Starbucks-Illuminati link appears as a series of text-heavy images about halfway down the page.)

But my personal favorite Illuminati are Jay-Z and Beyonce. Whether they're flashing masonic hand-gestures, naming their child
B orn
l iving
u nder
e vil

I lluminati's
v ery
y oungest,
or performing at the Superbowl in a leather singlet shaped like the letter V Baphomet, these two are walking proof that occult seduction is always in style.

I wish to thank my friend Janice for alerting me to this conspiracy, and for the dawning sense of horrified delight when I realized that she was completely serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RoeCocoa posted:

Isn't it obvious? (I glossed over the text. The perfectly clear and reasonable Starbucks-Illuminati link appears as a series of text-heavy images about halfway down the page.)

That site is parody, right??

Right? It has to be.

• Locked thread