Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Would allowing the decision to be made after seeing your cards be an obviously bad idea? I guess it would also complicate the logistics of the event.

It's a pre-release, not a GP or something. You pick a box and go have fun with new cards. They're not gonna tailor it to the diehards who wanna min-max everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's 5 colour, you're getting into Exodia levels of bullshit just putting the colours together and getting the sliver to cast.

In fact, just print sliver Exodia.

Thanks to Gemhide and Manaweft, generating 5 colors isn't too difficult in a sliver deck. Especially if you can get out Sliver Legion which has a built in sliver tutor (and should almost always be your commander).

I run SliverEDH.dec and the first thing I usually fetch from the deck is Crystalline Sliver, who gives my slivers shroud for a measly WU. Indestructible at 5cc is excellent, but I'd have been more excited for a sliver that granted Hexproof. (It will never happen.) One of the checks on the deck's power is that Equipment/Auras are difficult to run, limiting your voltron shenanigans to casting more slivers. I'd love to be able to run Sunforger and cast All The Instants straight out of my deck.

(The other check on the deck's power is that everyone guns for you the moment you reveal what deck you're playing. :v:)

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Northjayhawk posted:

Its worth mentioning they they messed up the templating for Generator Servant. A strict reading of the card seems to say that it can only be used to haste one creature, but the common-sense reading will be up to two. This might need to be errata'd on day 1.

No? All the statement "if that mana is spent on a creature spell it gains haste" means is the mana generated has that property. You will have two mana floating in your pool that has the "gains haste" property, which can be used separately to give two different creature spells haste.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really want to go B/r at the pre-release and get the black promo out turn 3 with haste off Generator Servant. They better have an Ulcerate.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
If I pull Sliver Hivelord, I will go five colors.

Especially if it's the only sliver I pull.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
That new sliver design is sick. I will never play that card but I'm excited.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Time to give the limited thread back its old name.

MOTHER loving GRINDCLOCK IS BACK!

http://yonkisdellanowar.blogspot.com.es/2014/07/spoiler-m15-exclusivo.html

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

What a worthless reprint.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

frameset posted:

What a worthless reprint.

They were going to reprint a mill artifact probably(that's part of what the core set is for, to introduce new players to all sorts of strategies), so I guess grindclock is better than millstone.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elyv posted:

grindclock is better than millstone.

How does it feel to have the worst of all possible opinions?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Kabanaw posted:

No? All the statement "if that mana is spent on a creature spell it gains haste" means is the mana generated has that property. You will have two mana floating in your pool that has the "gains haste" property, which can be used separately to give two different creature spells haste.

The word "that" is referring to (2), not to either mana. Thats probably not what they meant, but thats what they wrote. "That" mana, which is (2), has to be spent on "a" creature "spell".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bugsy posted:

The intro deck seeded sealed rares are:

I really like what they have done with these. The black one is just terrific.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

mcmagic posted:

I agree...these rares just have much more flavor than the past couple sets. I REALLY like the W and R ones even if they are just the most unlikely to be cast in a limited format.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
The flavor text on the blue one is pretty cute :3:.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OssiansFolly posted:

I REALLY like the W and R ones even if they are just the most unlikely to be cast in a limited format.

Why? I thought limited was comparatively okay with expensive baddies?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

There's still the issue of overly diverse power levels though; the black one seems head and shoulders above the others in Limited to me. a 5 mana 5/3 flier with a fairly nice bonus? Yes please.

Edit:

Rinkles posted:

Why? I thought limited was comparatively okay with expensive baddies?
Limited has gotten a lot faster over the last couple of years.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Oh man Generator Servant into Siege Dragon is going to be a real thing at this prerelease and you will lose to it if you're not prepared.

gently caress, I just read Siege Dragon again and it doesn't even have to deal combat damage, just attack.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Northjayhawk posted:

The word "that" is referring to (2), not to either mana. Thats probably not what they meant, but thats what they wrote. "That" mana, which is (2), has to be spent on "a" creature "spell".

It doesn't have to be spent on a creature spell, just like mana from Boseiju doesn't need to be spent on instants or sorceries. When a source creates multiple mana with a special property, like grand architect or rosheen meanderer, that effect applies to all that mana individually, not the whole thing as a group. If that were the case, then you could spend 3 mana from rosheen on non-X spells because the "spend this mana only on X stuff " would only apply to when you use all four mana.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

Oh man Generator Servant into Siege Dragon is going to be a real thing at this prerelease and you will lose to it if you're not prepared.

gently caress, I just read Siege Dragon again and it doesn't even have to deal combat damage, just attack.

I can definitely see people running as many Generators as possible in their red deck. It will be a VERY nice thing to draft as well...

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Elyv posted:

Limited has gotten a lot faster over the last couple of years.

While on average that statement is true, I think the more accurate statement is "R&D has gotten a lot better at building core set limited environments where aggressive strategies are supported, when they want to do that". M12 was blazingly fast because that's what they wanted to do, M13 was a really balanced format since that's what they wanted to do, and M14 was glacial because apparently that's what they wanted to do.

The reason pre-M11 core sets were so bomb-centric is that supporting aggro in a limited environment requires a conscious effort, when no thought is given to limited formats they tend to default to "whoever has the most dominant rare wins".

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Northjayhawk posted:

It makes sense to me. If I have a dollar, and I buy an ice cream cone for 50 cents, then I've spent that money on an ice cream cone.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edit: this is in response to Lord of Texas' post

I don't disagree, but in general they've also been speeding the environments up (which is a good thing, imo). Compare RtR limited to original Ravnica or Invasion or something, and RtR wasn't particularly fast.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

It makes sense to me. If I have a dollar, and I buy an ice cream cone for 50 cents, then I've spent that money on an ice cream cone.

exactly

I activate the ability, have {2}.

To keep it simply, we'll say I am casting Arcbound worker, or any other colourless 1 drop.

I cast Arcbound worker for {1}, it resolves, I spent that mana produced on a creature spell, it has haste.

I then repeat it the same for a second one, I spent THAT mana on a creature spell, it has haste.

If, for some reason, after casting the first one. I then tap a mountain and lightning strike my opponents blocker, that mana was not spent on a creature spell. It doesn't change the fact that for my worker, thata mana, produced by Generator Servant. was spent on a creature spell, and therefore my worker has haste.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I must be bad at Magic. Why is this worse than all other 5 color slivers?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Its not worse than the others, it just isn't a game ending summon like Legion. Got a semi-decent board? Cast Legion. You probably just pumped your entire board up by +6/+6. Now swing for lethal.

This on the other hand gives you protection. I like it a lot better because I like indestructible bugs. :science:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Veyrall posted:

I must be bad at Magic. Why is this worse than all other 5 color slivers?

It's not a bad card, it's just worse than "Tutor any sliver", "Generate a ton of additional slivers", and "Make all slivers ~+5/+5 and swing for the win"
Joke answer "It's not 7/7! :byodood:"

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Good design is not always about "how does this help you win the game in the most efficient, Spike-y way?"

A lot of players, new and old alike, LOVE the type of card that lets you protect your army from bad things, even if there is an alternative card that would allow you to win the game on the spot anyway.

Ever play RTS games when you were a kid and have the most grand time building a ridiculously well-defended base that no one could penetrate, even though you could have ended the game an hour ago? THAT is the type of player Sliver Hivelord appeals to.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

It's not a bad card, it's just worse than "Tutor any sliver", "Generate a ton of additional slivers", and "Make all slivers ~+5/+5 and swing for the win"

Wasn't there an article published stating that they WANTED to make it a 7/7 but in the end decided against it? I could have sworn it was somewhere...

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Man, they really hyped that up. I feel like I would be a lot less disappointed if they had just left it at "5-Color Sliver Mythic" instead of saying it would beat the other 5-colors. I wasn't expecting something that topped Sliver Legion, but this thing doesn't even beat Sliver Queen. That said, it's totally going in my Sliver deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mortimer posted:

It's probably better than Overlord and Queen because you don't need a bunch of additional mana to do anything. Not sure about Legion, though my intuition is that it's still better because both probably win you the game on a board full of stuff and the new one is better on an empty board.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

It's probably better than Overlord and Queen because you don't need a bunch of additional mana to do anything. Not sure about Legion, though my intuition is that it's still better because both probably win you the game on a board full of stuff and the new one is better on an empty board.

But with Legion for it to be good you already have to have 3+ slivers on the board...at that point you should already have a good handle on things, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OssiansFolly posted:

But with Legion for it to be good you already have to have 3+ slivers on the board...at that point you should already have a good handle on things, right?

My wording may have been bad, I meant that I think Hivelord is better than Legion because I think it's better on an empty board(also, even though I didn't mention it, it's more blowout-proof)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I guess the art is what they had in mind with the in between sliver style. (I don't like it too much).

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

My wording may have been bad, I meant that I think Hivelord is better than Legion because I think it's better on an empty board(also, even though I didn't mention it, it's more blowout-proof)

Ok, yea I feel Hivelord has an edge due to the fact that you are protecting what took you at least a couple to a few turns to build up from being wiped out with a single card. Yes I realize there are still a few solutions that could wipe out the board, but Indestructible on those slivers is NICE!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wait, am I reading the explanation text wrong, or can -X/-X effects kill indestructible creatures?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Wait, am I reading the explanation text wrong, or can -X/-X effects kill indestructible creatures?

Thats correct

E: Its a state-based effect if that means anything.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's not quite what I was hoping for ("Sliver creatures gain Annihilator 1") but it's not horrible. I mostly play Commander, so this guy is probably my top choice for a "beat face with Slivers" deck compared to the Sliver Queen's more combo-y style.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Thats correct

E: Its a state-based effect if that means anything.

Woah

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

With Garruk and his +1 spoiled, do you think he's going to be a big enough impact on standard to kill superfriends decks? I really want to make a esper one for post rotation but something like that seems quite scary to face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

Reasons why Mutilate is the best boardwipe spell.

• Locked thread