Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I'm on Mountain daylight time, and they usually show up around 11pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Old Oak Doors -Part B

http://traffic.libsyn.com/nightvale/4920-20Old20Oak20Doors20Part20B.mp3

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Aww, Steve and Cecil :3:

Mayoral spoilers: Somehow I knew it would be Dana :allears:

Kazy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 1, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Amazing, just oh so amazing. Yet so very, very sad.

The weather you have for the live shows is always knock out of the park awesome. Grats on the two year anniversary. I'm off to buy Mayoral swag before it disappears.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/europetour/

You guys are coming to Oslo?!

I never expected you to come to Europe at all, I'm so excited now!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
This was a loving terrible day for me, loving terrible day for Israel, loving terrible day for my apartment situation, and then I was like, "Oh at least I have Night Vale and some closure on the Carlos situation" and THEN gently caress

It was just the wrong day for this plotline to happen on. I need to cry a lot.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Did that remind anyone else of The Amber Spyglass?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

Did that remind anyone else of The Amber Spyglass?

That was the third book in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy right? I think I blanked out during that book because it made no sense.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Basically it was about a war between angels and a corrupt institution in the service of a charlatan god. Doorways between different universes are allowing all of existence to unravel. Ultimately, the doorways have to be sealed by a pair of lovers from different universes who are separated by their actions, but save existence in the process.

Yeah... This episode was pretty much a straight-up adaptation.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

Basically it was about a war between angels and a corrupt institution in the service of a charlatan god. Doorways between different universes are allowing all of existence to unravel. Ultimately, the doorways have to be sealed by a pair of lovers from different universes who are separated by their actions, but save existence in the process.

Yeah... This episode was pretty much a straight-up adaptation.

Oh wow. That does sound about right.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I knew Steve wasn't as terrible a father as Cecil thought and a stone cold badass when told his daughter needed to be improved. Suddenly Cecil's editorial about the wheelchair ramps at the charter school make a lot of sense.

Also a hearty congratulations to the fans in Europe.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
A Europe tour renews my hope for an Aus/NZ tour someday.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Leospeare posted:

A Europe tour renews my hope for an Aus/NZ tour someday.

I'd kill for an NZ show.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
My jaw dropped at the tour news! Do tickets normally go on sale at midnight? I have a feeling the shows are going to sell out quickly and I'd love to pick up a ticket to the London or Birmingham shows.

Regarding the new episode: Wow, Hal Lublin's impressions of the cast were hilarious! It's great that Dana is back and I'm glad we'll inevitably be hearing from her again in her new role, although I think I'm going to miss the various news reports and statements issued from Pamela Winchell. Carlos' voice mail was sad but I'm glad it ended on a hopeful note. At least Cecil (and the audience) will be able to hear from him, even if it takes a long time for them to meet again in person.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Don't worry, I'm sure Carlos will get back safely.

In the three-year anniversary show.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Neat news about bringing the live shows to the UK! Every convention I've been to here in the last year or so has been loaded with Night Vale cosplayers, so I'd imagine a lot of people are gonna be thrilled.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Woah you guys are even coming to Birmingham!
Going to camp on that page to buy tickets come Friday

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I know Fink mentioned a script from Steve's POV, and I hope it's filled with him doing more impersonations :3:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Ghost-Slug posted:

Regarding the new episode: Wow, Hal Lublin's impressions of the cast were hilarious! It's great that Dana is back and I'm glad we'll inevitably be hearing from her again in her new role, although I think I'm going to miss the various news reports and statements issued from Pamela Winchell. Carlos' voice mail was sad but I'm glad it ended on a hopeful note. At least Cecil (and the audience) will be able to hear from him, even if it takes a long time for them to meet again in person.

Agreed I'd say Lublin stole the show with his performance. I would never have thought that Steve Carlsberg was not a man to be hosed with until he started roaring at Kevin.

Also it was fun to hear him and Cecil both act like typical Night Valians by hailing the GLOW CLOUD in unison and denying the existence of angels.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I knew that Hal is an amazing voice actor just from Thrilling Adventure Hour but that was a tour de force. And Steve's rage at Kevin about Janice was my favorite part... I teared up.

I loved all the callbacks to minor characters and Dana getting elected mayor... I'm sure we haven't heard the last of TFOWHSLIYH or Hiram McDaniels though.
This was definitely one of my favorite episodes ever.

I also just always love the live episodes, and especially getting to see a few myself, just because of how Cecil always commands the stage and has the audience eating out of his hands.

Also: Carlos :ohdear: I guess it couldn't be a total victory. I'd really love to know now how Carlos and his team DID get to Night Vale.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I kinda had a feeling that Steve would do something to help win the day, but that was the best way it could have happened.

I hope that doesn't mean that Kevin's gone for good; I love him and Lauren and I'd love to see them come back once in a while and try to buy back Strex. I mean, Lauren wasn't really "defeated", just chased out of town, and who knows what really happened to Kevin? Maybe he was absorbed by the Smiling God, or maybe Cecil just couldn't see him through the light.

So I guess the "arc" for the next year will be Hiram and TFOWWSLIYH trying to sieze control from Dana?

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
For a minute I found myself wondering how splitting up this episode would work with the timeline, since the show basically follows real-life time but this one day in Night Vale took up two actual weeks.

Then I remembered this is Night Vale we're talking about and the two weeks were probably just cancelled or eaten by a librarian or something.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Steve was totally the bastard offspring of an unholy foursome between Darth Vader, Batman, Larry the Cable Guy and Alex Jones.

I have a feeling the next major arc will be exploring the multiple timeline multiverse that was connected by the oak doors. I have a feeling that submarine from Nulgursk and the terrifying alternate history it represented is going to be important.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Annakie posted:

I knew that Hal is an amazing voice actor just from Thrilling Adventure Hour but that was a tour de force. And Steve's rage at Kevin about Janice was my favorite part... I teared up.

Great minds think alike.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Hal Lublin gives 60 seconds of tour de force fanservice wherein he (non plot)does the voice of the faceless old woman, john peters, ALL of Hiram's heads, and Carlos. This is less surprising but no less impressive if you listen to Thrilling Adventure Hour.

Also, my head canon is that Gummy is what happens after Steve Carlsberg leaves Night Vale.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Great minds think alike.

Also, my head canon is that Gummy is what happens after Steve Carlsberg leaves Night Vale.

I can't decide if I like the mental image of Steve shiving people or Gummy being a conspiracy theorist better.

The Government is controlling us with contrails! Apple pie! :haw:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I've been marathoning the podcast, and I usually don't post before catching up on a thing especially since a episode has just come out so sorry for interrupting but anyway.
Jesus Numbers was such a good episode, I almost teared up around the second or third Fey segment when I realised it was an AI and then the end..

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
My artistic philosophy is that whenever possible I like to make things difficult for actors, because watching them struggle with difficult material is often really gripping. So as soon as I found out Hal could do a bunch of voices, I knew I needed to write that scene.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

maxnmona posted:

My artistic philosophy is that whenever possible I like to make things difficult for actors, because watching them struggle with difficult material is often really gripping. So as soon as I found out Hal could do a bunch of voices, I knew I needed to write that scene.

Was his first reaction 'oh awesome' or 'you dick', I gotta know.

Great episodes though, I waited until both were out to listen to them and boy was it worth that wait.

Hiram totally got robbed though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Was his first reaction 'oh awesome' or 'you dick', I gotta know.

Great episodes though, I waited until both were out to listen to them and boy was it worth that wait.

Hiram totally got robbed though.

My wife is now totally afraid I am going to fade from existence due to my voter fraud.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fantastic episode(s). I feel like I should have expected Steve Carlsburg to play a pivotal role, given the role that the similarly-reviled Apache Tracker played last year but the way it played out took me completely by surprise, in a good way. I was initially kind of skeptical about the initial reveal that Steve was Cecil's brother-in-law (or actually stepbrother?!?), because I loved the idea that Cecil had just taken against this guy completely at random, as he is occasionally wont to do. But drat if it didn't pay off.

I also loved the reveal, obvious in hindsight as it may have been, that Kevin had initially fought the Smiling God, and lost. It really sets him up even more as Cecil's analogue (and makes me believe all the more that Desert Bluffs was indeed an alternate universe Night Vale rather than just a neighboring town).

I'm kind of glad that the Strex story is over (though obviously the Smiling God/Unravelling Of All Things story is not). I loved it, but I'm ready for some good old-fashioned weirdness again. And there are certainly plenty of seeds for new storylines.

(Man, I just pictured the Faceless Old Woman and Hiram McDaniels on a McLaughlin Group like news chat show.)

I feel like I should send you guys a bill for all the music Welcome To Night Vale has made me buy.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Action Yak Police posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure Carlos will get back safely.

In the three-year anniversary show.

Here's what the people behind the show should do: they should ask fans to send in clips of them reading specially written lines, such as pained wailing or vows of horrible revenge. Their recordings will be used in the show... if the people behind the show are sent proof that the people who sent the recordings literally died before release of the episode where Carlos returns. I'm talking death certificates. Maybe charge a reasonable one-time fee to have the recording accepted in the first place, like kind of a Night Vale life insurance.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 2, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I preferred the line read from the early show in response to Steve's Carlos impersonation: "What was that, some kind of witch?".

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Night Vale in Ottawa tonight! No costume - had no time - but this'll still be great!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Steve's dialogue was definitely the highlight of the show, so good job maxmona! (Cecil is also a great improv guy)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Bought tickets for the Birmingham show.
See you guys in October!

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

I almost couldn't believe that it was Hal doing the different voices at first. Incredible voice acting.

Also I just bought my tickets to see the Oslo show in October and I am so, so excited!

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I managed to get tickets to the London show! It looks like we were pretty lucky though since all the UK tickets sold out in less than 10 minutes. :stare:

It's going to be awesome and I can't wait!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Ghost-Slug posted:

I managed to get tickets to the London show! It looks like we were pretty lucky though since all the UK tickets sold out in less than 10 minutes. :stare:

It's going to be awesome and I can't wait!

Wow I thought I was being a little silly camping on the webpage but it seems it paid off

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

freelop posted:

Wow I thought I was being a little silly camping on the webpage but it seems it paid off

Yeah I would have been too if, my entertainment budget wasn't bone dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I just had a look at the ticketing website and another London show on Tuesday 21 October has popped up. The tickets for the new show are available right now so I'd grab 'em while you can if you want to go.