Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

single-mode fiber posted:

I post about fiber at all times and in all places.

All part of a balanced diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Seconding others on expanding on what you need features/distance/speed wise.

A Juniper EX2200-C may fit the bill.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We have a bunch of Netopia R5300 that we are no longer using. Like 20 or so. The used non-working ones are under $20 on ebay, without power cords. Ours are all working with cords. What should I do with these? Anyone need one or more?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I've learned to accept that someone dumber than me has designed everything. I just have to live with it. I can't really go into it, but there's all kinds of retarded things where I work.

There are valid reasons to run fiber to workstations. One of them is TEMPEST, and I can imagine that being important on an AFB.

But that really only comes in to play above a certain classification

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I worked at a company that had fiber drops to every computer or group of coputers on the manufacturing floor. It actually made a lot of sense though. The room next to mine was the "fiber" department. The room on the other side was the molding department where the raceways and multiport service terminals were molded. Down the hall a ways the sheetmetal and paint departments made the cabinets. Etc.

We had ~30% market share for fiber and infrastructure. The entire install was probably written off to R&D as product testing.

Sickening posted:

Why is fiber where people can kick it under desks or basically any of the above?

Laying on the drat floor getting hit with brooms, zip tied to the back of my desk leading up to the 5 port switch crammed under a pile of cables behind the monitor. I don't know which product line it was but it was surprisingly resilient.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't broken fire optic cable a major hazard?

One of the few things I think I remember from some of the cisco poo poo in highschool is being told "broken fibre optic is dangerous, don't ever snap fibre optic".

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

sfwarlock posted:

Speaking of fiber:

Does anyone know of a relatively cheap switch with two fiber ports and the rest copper? I need to do some backboning.

Is the fibre 1G or 10G? Is the copper 100mbit or 1G?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
For someone who knows hardly anything about fiber, this is all fascinating!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sir_Substance posted:

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't broken fire optic cable a major hazard?

One of the few things I think I remember from some of the cisco poo poo in highschool is being told "broken fibre optic is dangerous, don't ever snap fibre optic".

What do you mean? Snapped fibres don't spew laser light into the atmosphere or anything.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

What do you mean? Snapped fibres don't spew laser light into the atmosphere or anything.

I've heard that the fiber shards can be extremely dangerous - "even deadly", according to a friend working with them; he mentioned a lengthy safety course to handle fiber.

EDIT: Also the leaking laser contributes to global warming

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 1, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Fibre optics is non-reactive, easily broken "glass". As such, when you stab yourself with it and it inevitable breaks off inside your body and leaves splinters behind, they stays there. Possibly for a very long time. Since it doesn't react with anything, the body does not actively reject it like it would with a for example wood splinter.

Eventually that splinter, which can be very small, can find its way into important things like brain or heart blood vessels, and makes you dead.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Truga posted:

Fibre optics is non-reactive, easily broken "glass". As such, when you stab yourself with it and it inevitable breaks off inside your body and leaves splinters behind, they stays there. Possibly for a very long time. Since it doesn't react with anything, the body does not actively reject it like it would with a for example wood splinter.

Eventually that splinter, which can be very small, can find its way into important things like brain or heart blood vessels, and makes you dead.

I don't know what you'd have to do to break the strands AND pierce the outer seal. It's one thing to break it, but another to rip the cable apart.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I just noticed your username.

I am not a very smart person.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Truga posted:

Yeah, that sounds familiar.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Looking into active fibers is also bad.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

SEKCobra posted:

I don't know what you'd have to do to break the strands AND pierce the outer seal. It's one thing to break it, but another to rip the cable apart.

So basically don't eat fiber cables

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It is more related to terminations, where you generate these little <1" pieces of glass that you can lose track of. Corning pretium tools have a built in slot for you to drop those in.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spankmeister posted:

Looking into active fibers is also bad.

But how will you ever know if the other end is lit???

shine it at some paper

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
♩♪♫♬ one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong ♩♪♫♬

orange sky
May 7, 2007

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

♩♪♫♬ one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong ♩♪♫♬

I'm dying here

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
The funniest thing was, the user actually had limited connectivity! He couldn't get on the intranet, but he had incredibly slow access to guest.

I almost felt bad pulling the loving thing, it was trying SO HARD.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Moey posted:

But how will you ever know if the other end is lit???

shine it at some paper

Except that most lasers are in the IR spectrum, so you need like a cellphone cam.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

The yellow one is obviously the problem ;)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Now and then I have to patch POTS crap to my panel so there'll be a couple of RJ-11 hanging around. Don't judge me!

At one location we had a conduit running under a driveway between buildings that was so jammed with stuff we couldn't run any more cable or even pull out the old crap. I noticed a fiber run and when I traced it back to the originating side it was all spewed out the end of the cable onto the floor and had been getting walked on for about a year. That was an expensive repair.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I almost felt bad pulling the loving thing, it was trying SO HARD.
Great, now I feel bad for it, too. The little phone cable that couldn't. :(

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I found out today that unless I want to be badgered from our change management department to never use the word reboot in a ticket ever again. Apparently rebooting something during business hours needs a change order. Guess I'm using the term "restarted services" from now on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CitizenKain posted:

I found out today that unless I want to be badgered from our change management department to never use the word reboot in a ticket ever again. Apparently rebooting something during business hours needs a change order. Guess I'm using the term "restarted services" from now on.

You didn't reboot the machine, you restarted the Windows service.

All is well.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
You're just restarting the power supply and associated hardware. :downs:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My manager just asked me to diagram all the networking ports in this office.

It's a long story as to why, but we're outside of IT's grasp. As a result, IT in this department is basically handled by users, so nothing's documented. I imagine the sudden request to document is to prepare for an oncoming move within the next two months.

Jesus Christ I don't know how you guys do it. There was no consistent naming convention, and as issues popped up, supervisors would just go to the switch and change ports without documenting anything. We have three different networks here, and ports labeled with one network were actually a completely different one.

This whole thing just got redone less than a year ago and it's a god drat mess already.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can't you just login to each switch and do a 'show int status' ? That will at least give you which VLAN each port is on.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenNight posted:

Can't you just login to each switch and do a 'show int status' ? That will at least give you which VLAN each port is on.

Hahahaha that would make sense :suicide:

The problem is I...don't actually have access to the switch. They won't give it to me. He wanted the diagram named by how the jacks are labeled, which are all labeled wrong.

Maybe a network diagram isn't the best description of it. Still, it's a loving mess.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Reimaged a slow computer the other day, swapped it out, and noticed that it wasn't activated. Tried a few activations, and it threw an error. It was a really weird error, too; "The count reported by your Key Management Service (KMS) is insufficient." I sent an e-mail to the SCCM admins, and it turns out the ops team added a couple KMS servers and didn't tell anyone :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

They won't give it to me. He wanted the diagram named by how the jacks are labeled, which are all labeled wrong.
So make a diagram based on how they're labeled. That the labels are wrong is his problem.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Holy hell, so tired of networking experts as remote support clients. I'm trying to support a client on a self-install of a virtual appliance, and he's rude, condescending, he'll sharpshoot me, he'll complain about the documentation, it just goes on and on. I've been pretty Zen about the whole thing, I feel, but then he dropped this bombshell on me:

MyIrateCustomer posted:

"Remember, you can’t telnet into a linux box. Telnet is Microsoft."

The words have failed me, if anything I'm even more Zen now, and I just washed down an adderall with a Red Bull.

Edit: not recreational usage, BTW. Don't want to glorify it, I hate this poo poo, but it does help some.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 1, 2014

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Oddhair posted:

Holy hell, so tired of networking experts as remote support clients. I'm trying to support a client on a self-install of a virtual appliance, and he's rude, condescending, he'll sharpshoot me, he'll complain about the documentation, it just goes on and on. I've been pretty Zen about the whole thing, I feel, but then he dropped this bombshell on me:

The words have failed me, if anything I'm even more Zen now, and I just washed down an adderall with a Red Bull.

Edit: not recreational usage, BTW. Don't want to glorify it, I hate this poo poo, but it does help some.

Booze. Booze is the answer. I suggest one in a nice hefty bottle you can hit him with when it is empty.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Collateral Damage posted:

So make a diagram based on how they're labeled. That the labels are wrong is his problem.

That's what I ended up doing.

I got some funny looks though because of how things were switched up on the other end, what with one port being labeled for one network but being on a different network altogether and three different naming conventions across the board.

But hey, I just do as I'm told.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Renegret posted:

But hey, I just do as I'm told.

Welcome to the workforce :haw:

Seems MS has taken over no-ip.com :wtc:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
They said it was a technical error they took an entire loving domain even though they made poo poo up. :magical:.

Popcorn will be needed for this fuckup.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...l-process.shtml

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

They said it was a technical error they took an entire loving domain even though they made poo poo up. :magical:.

Popcorn will be needed for this fuckup.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...l-process.shtml

And still my no-ip redirect doesn't work. It's been over 72 hours. This should be fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

m.hache posted:

And still my no-ip redirect doesn't work. It's been over 72 hours. This should be fun to watch.

Anyone affected, check your email. They have details of the hosts that do still work.

• Locked thread