Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Country/Provider: US(Washington DC)/AT&T

Contract Status: Still on dad's family plan, looking to get my own plan

Budget: Not really a concern

Features I know I want: Android, speed, battery life

Currently I have a Motorola Atrix that's probably 3 years old now and it's becoming increasingly unusable (won't unlock, freezes up, takes literally 10 minutes to restart, reboots on its own). I'm on a "family" plan that now only consists of me and my dad, as everyone else has already gotten their own. So while I'm currently on AT&T, I don't need to stick with them but I (obviously) want to keep my number. I DO want to stick with Android, because that's what I have now and I'd rather not switch to Apple or Windows Phone at this point.

I have no idea what my data usage is like, but I browse the forums and facebook a fair amount while I'm out. It seems like I could get a pretty generous data allowance for $100 a month, which is fine.

I am not a smartphone power user; I mostly use it for browsing and solving crosswords while I'm on the toilet at work. Really I just want a phone that's not covered in apps I'll never use that will drain my battery, has a decent camera (doesn't need to be bleeding edge; I'm sure everything today is better than my current one) and will hold a charge so I don't have to leave it plugged in all the time. I don't really want to pay a lot more for an unlocked phone since I doubt I'd notice or care about the difference, so if I can get a discount on a nicer phone by locking myself into a carrier that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Vomax posted:

Country/Provider: US(Washington DC)/AT&T

Contract Status: Still on dad's family plan, looking to get my own plan

Budget: Not really a concern

Features I know I want: Android, speed, battery life

Currently I have a Motorola Atrix that's probably 3 years old now and it's becoming increasingly unusable (won't unlock, freezes up, takes literally 10 minutes to restart, reboots on its own). I'm on a "family" plan that now only consists of me and my dad, as everyone else has already gotten their own. So while I'm currently on AT&T, I don't need to stick with them but I (obviously) want to keep my number. I DO want to stick with Android, because that's what I have now and I'd rather not switch to Apple or Windows Phone at this point.

I have no idea what my data usage is like, but I browse the forums and facebook a fair amount while I'm out. It seems like I could get a pretty generous data allowance for $100 a month, which is fine.

I am not a smartphone power user; I mostly use it for browsing and solving crosswords while I'm on the toilet at work. Really I just want a phone that's not covered in apps I'll never use that will drain my battery, has a decent camera (doesn't need to be bleeding edge; I'm sure everything today is better than my current one) and will hold a charge so I don't have to leave it plugged in all the time. I don't really want to pay a lot more for an unlocked phone since I doubt I'd notice or care about the difference, so if I can get a discount on a nicer phone by locking myself into a carrier that's fine.

If you're staying on contract I'd say just get a Galaxy S5 and call it a day. Alternatively, I think the G2 can be had for free on contract now.

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007
I'm looking for a new phone for my T mobile 30 a month plan. I'm aiming for a 150$ pricerange. My current phone is an old as poo poo HTC G2, which I wanted for the phsyical keyboard to play emulators on. Which I did, and it owned. It still does, but I need an upgrade. Preferably with a nice camera and/or selfie camera. I don't care about the keyboard anymore. I can just use my G2 for that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sixty-Proof posted:

I'm looking for a new phone for my T mobile 30 a month plan. I'm aiming for a 150$ pricerange. My current phone is an old as poo poo HTC G2, which I wanted for the phsyical keyboard to play emulators on. Which I did, and it owned. It still does, but I need an upgrade. Preferably with a nice camera and/or selfie camera. I don't care about the keyboard anymore. I can just use my G2 for that.

Motorola G.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Motorola G.
The Motos don't really have very good cameras though?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

The Motos don't really have very good cameras though?

What's going to have a good camera for $150?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Duckman2008 posted:

What's going to have a good camera for $150?
A used iPhone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not any that will work on T-Mobile 3G in most places.

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007
The Motorola G is actually like 90 dollars online. So that's cool. But are there really no phones in my price range with a better camera? What about the Motorola RAZR?

Forgive me for knowing jack and poo poo about phones, by the way. I appreciate the input

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sixty-Proof posted:

The Motorola G is actually like 90 dollars online. So that's cool. But are there really no phones in my price range with a better camera? What about the Motorola RAZR?

Forgive me for knowing jack and poo poo about phones, by the way. I appreciate the input
The RAZR is Verizon only and all Motorola cameras are sub-par.

The best you can do for a cheap phone bought outright with a decent camera is the Nexus 5 at $350 without dipping into the used market.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sixty-Proof posted:

Used market wise the S4 has a good camera, good battery life (unlike the HTC One M7), and may possibly get decent support for a year or two from Samsung. If you find that for like, $150-200 that could be a good buy. Make sure it's TMobile based or has the right bands for TMobile.

Edit: well I could be wrong on that. When I had it I remember the battery making it through the day no problem.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 2, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Duckman2008 posted:

good battery life (unlike the HTC One M7)
What?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6914/samsung-galaxy-s-4-review/2

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Im currently on a At&t 2.5 Gb unlimited everything else plan with a Galaxy S5.
However I recently moved to a building where Verizon is the only provider that works as my reception there is unusable, I dont even get a single bar unless I go to the roof.
Im going to have to sell my phone and port over.

Im noticing that Verizon is rather expensive and the MVNO's that use their towers like PagePlus are only compatible with older phones that require flashing.
What is the easiest and most cost effective way of switching to Verizon's network along with a flagship phone?

Victorian Gentleman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 2, 2014

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Edit: double post

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Victorian Gentleman posted:

Im currently on a At&t 2.5 Gb unlimited everything else plan with a Galaxy S5.
However I recently moved to a building where Verizon is the only provider that works as my reception there is unusable, I dont even get a single bar unless I go to the roof.
Im going to have to sell my phone and port over.

Im noticing that Verizon is rather expensive and the MVNO's that use their towers like PagePlus are only compatible with older phones that require flashing.
What is the easiest and most cost effective way of switching to Verizon's network along with a flagship phone?
Are you otherwise happy with AT&T's service? You might be able to get them to give you a microcell for cheap/free.

Otherwise, you're basically stuck getting Verizon's post-paid plan and paying the subsidy for a flagship phone, though Verizon Edge *might* work in your favor. With their market position, there's not really a lot of discounts to be had.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Help.

Country/Provider:
UK / prefer o2 (wife has o2 and they have good coverage in the town I live in, and the town I'm moving to).

Current contract status:
hosed. I pay £30 a month for 300 minutes/texts and 250mb of internet because I am an idiot who upgrades without renegotiating.

Also I have a HTC One S currently. The screen is small and yellow from screen burn, the camera is fantastic, the keyboard hits delete instead of m all the time and it does that weird helicoptering bug when it's got low data coverage.

Vodafone have been polite but rubbish over the whole thing because I waited til I was out of the warranty to chase it up. I'm due an upgrade next month so I already know I want to switch providers.

Budget (phone/plan): I'm stuck chosing between the nexus 5, moto x and s4. As far as I can see the 5 and X are largely the same except the X is silly cheap from carphone warehouse at the moment.

I kind of want the n5 because of the quick updates, and it looks like a decent phone. However my wife has the 7 tablet, so I kind of feel like I'd be doubling up tech wise.

I quickly took a look at the moto x on gsmarena, and it looks great, but I didn't fully understand the benchmarking. I'm also not sire how much of a step up it would be from the one s.

The s4, a salesman dazzled me with the split screen feature even though I don't generally like Samsungs and it costs a lot more. And to be honest, saving money is more important than cool features right now (we'll be moving in a year or so hopefully).

Sony Ericsson don't interest me because all the covers on the side seem like they'd break off in about a month (I am excessively fidgety with any kind of plugs on things). Also I tried out a z1 and the camera took an age to start up.

Features I know I want:

- quick camera startup time,
- decent screen size around 5in,
- don't care about minutes or texts, do want reasonable data,
- would like to keep the bill in the mid-low twenties.

CPW have the moto x at £18 per month, 500 mins, unlimited texts, 500mb data. Or, for £28 it's unlimited calls & texts, 1gb data and £120 cash back. I can't work out how much the equivalent saving would be from the cash back because this phone loses the post if I task switch and as I type that I wonder about the s4's split screen and begin to wonder if I'm going mad.

The nexus 5 is £23 for the 500mins, unlimited texts & 500data but has a £50 up front fee. Otherwise it's £28 for unlimited calls & texts and 1gb data with £50 cash back.

Basically it seems like my decision is between the nexus 5 and the moto x, I just need a good breakdown of how much better one is than the other, and if the moto x is really that much of a step up from the one s.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 3, 2014

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014

LOL.

But with both a Galaxy Note II and iPhone 5s, I can vouch for this. Not that my word matters in a poll of millions, but kudos calling BS.

I no longer have Samsung. My only gripe about iPhones are the limited size, customization, and storage.. But there are other solutions. And as my smartphone usage / reliance dissipates, it becomes a non-issue.

Those with biases against the Apple brand; get over it. There's a reason it makes almost 50% of their revenue on the iPhone alone beyond mindless consumerism.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Help.

Country/Provider:
UK / prefer o2 (wife has o2 and they have good coverage in the town I live in, and the town I'm moving to).

Current contract status:
hosed. I pay £30 a month for 300 minutes/texts and 250mb of internet because I am an idiot who upgrades without renegotiating.

Also I have a HTC One S currently. The screen is small and yellow from screen burn, the camera is fantastic, the keyboard hits delete instead of m all the time and it does that weird helicoptering bug when it's got low data coverage.

Vodafone have been polite but rubbish over the whole thing because I waited til I was out of the warranty to chase it up. I'm due an upgrade next month so I already know I want to switch providers.

Budget (phone/plan): I'm stuck chosing between the nexus 5, moto x and s4. As far as I can see the 5 and X are largely the same except the X is silly cheap from carphone warehouse at the moment.

I kind of want the n5 because of the quick updates, and it looks like a decent phone. However my wife has the 7 tablet, so I kind of feel like I'd be doubling up tech wise.

I quickly took a look at the moto x on gsmarena, and it looks great, but I didn't fully understand the benchmarking. I'm also not sire how much of a step up it would be from the one s.

The s4, a salesman dazzled me with the split screen feature even though I don't generally like Samsungs and it costs a lot more. And to be honest, saving money is more important than cool features right now (we'll be moving in a year or so hopefully).

Sony Ericsson don't interest me because all the covers on the side seem like they'd break off in about a month (I am excessively fidgety with any kind of plugs on things). Also I tried out a z1 and the camera took an age to start up.

Features I know I want:

- quick camera startup time,
- decent screen size around 5in,
- don't care about minutes or texts, do want reasonable data,
- would like to keep the bill in the mid-low twenties.

CPW have the moto x at £18 per month, 500 mins, unlimited texts, 500mb data. Or, for £28 it's unlimited calls & texts, 1gb data and £120 cash back. I can't work out how much the equivalent saving would be from the cash back because this phone loses the post if I task switch and as I type that I wonder about the s4's split screen and begin to wonder if I'm going mad.

The nexus 5 is £23 for the 500mins, unlimited texts & 500data but has a £50 up front fee. Otherwise it's £28 for unlimited calls & texts and 1gb data with £50 cash back.

Basically it seems like my decision is between the nexus 5 and the moto x, I just need a good breakdown of how much better one is than the other, and if the moto x is really that much of a step up from the one s.
I can't help you with the contract as I'm US but between the Moto X and the Nexus 5 you'll win either way. The Moto X has great extra features (the notification system, screen off listening) and the Nexus 5 has a better screen, a better camera, and wireless charging. Both will get updates quickly (almost immediately) and both perform really, really well.

You really can't go wrong with either one.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I picked up the moto x on the £18pcm, 500 mins / data, unlimited texts bundle from Carphone Warehouse. The guy couldn't find it in store, but if you look it up on the website there's a code they can use with the DOS based app that lets them use it.

I'm not bothered about the data since I only really use it on the home WiFi, and if that changes I can always get the 1 gig bolt on.

Thanks for the advice!

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

I want to buy a second phone and line for leisure purposes. I've always had am iPhone and I want to try an android phone, watching google I/O really pushed me over the edge but I don't want to give up my iPhone hence second line.

Country/Provider: Washington, DC, USA with ATT

Current contract status: Up for upgrade but I'm not inclined to use it for this phone as I'm saving it for September/October's imminent iPhone 6 purchase.

Budget (phone/plan): I've been looking at the high end Androids (HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, etc...) so I know the device cost won't be cheap especially since I want it unlocked and most likely upfront.

Features I know I want: T-Mobile's cheap and unlimited data plans seem like they suit the idea of my second phone and line perfectly. I currently go use most of our household's shared 4GB and I actively find myself holding back. When I lived in Canada I had a 6GB plan and was pretty happy using it all up.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

xilni posted:

I want to buy a second phone and line for leisure purposes. I've always had am iPhone and I want to try an android phone, watching google I/O really pushed me over the edge but I don't want to give up my iPhone hence second line.

Country/Provider: Washington, DC, USA with ATT

Current contract status: Up for upgrade but I'm not inclined to use it for this phone as I'm saving it for September/October's imminent iPhone 6 purchase.

Budget (phone/plan): I've been looking at the high end Androids (HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, etc...) so I know the device cost won't be cheap especially since I want it unlocked and most likely upfront.

Features I know I want: T-Mobile's cheap and unlimited data plans seem like they suit the idea of my second phone and line perfectly. I currently go use most of our household's shared 4GB and I actively find myself holding back. When I lived in Canada I had a 6GB plan and was pretty happy using it all up.

Nexus 5/Moto X will run you around $350, and a T-Mobile prepaid plan with 5 GB of data, unlimited texts and 100 minutes is $30/mo.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm currently rocking a HTC Incredible S, but it's getting a little long in the tooth. I got a HTC Desire X through my work, and I don't really got anything bad to say about HTC phones besides their so-so cameras. The Incredible S is certainly more sturdy than its more modern counterpart though.

Great battery time on both of them.

Looking at my budget, the latest HTC One M8 is like twice as expensive and with a poor camera too (maybe?).
The Google Nexus 5 seems attractive (fast processor, decent camera, good screen but poorer battery time, I take it?), but there's also the HTC One and HTC One X (but more expensive around here, by about $60 bucks converted).

Is the Nexus 5 the phone for me? How good is its reception (wireless/internet) compared to the HTC offerings?

e: The Sony Xperia Z1 C6903 seems interesting too, on par in cost with the HTC models but with a much better camera, I take it?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 5, 2014

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014
From what I can tell, additional phones/lines/plans are always going to be cheaper with your current provider on a shared family plan, especially if said devices are being used exclusively by yourself.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Country/Provider: USA/Any

Current contract status: none (on pay by month)

Budget (phone/plan): Phone (~400), Plan (~50)

Features I know I want: Battery, no interface hang-ups

I feel like I'm still stuck in the age of the flip phone - I'm not a huge app user and really only need text, call, and GPS support. Ideally, I'd like a phone that can last at least 2 days without charging on low use, doesn't take forever to load the interface for calling (like my current Samsung Exhibit 2), and is about the same size (3.7"). I don't mind go larger and was considering the Moto X, but buying a year old phone doesn't sit well with the idea of future-proofing (as impossible as I know that is.) I'm willing to wait to close to the end of the year, and was also looking at the Nexus 6 before realizing it's also going to be a 5" monstrosity. Any help would be amazing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pinegala posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Any

Current contract status: none (on pay by month)

Budget (phone/plan): Phone (~400), Plan (~50)

Features I know I want: Battery, no interface hang-ups

I feel like I'm still stuck in the age of the flip phone - I'm not a huge app user and really only need text, call, and GPS support. Ideally, I'd like a phone that can last at least 2 days without charging on low use, doesn't take forever to load the interface for calling (like my current Samsung Exhibit 2), and is about the same size (3.7"). I don't mind go larger and was considering the Moto X, but buying a year old phone doesn't sit well with the idea of future-proofing (as impossible as I know that is.) I'm willing to wait to close to the end of the year, and was also looking at the Nexus 6 before realizing it's also going to be a 5" monstrosity. Any help would be amazing.
The Moto X is a great phone and I can't see it getting too bogged down as things move on to Android L and beyond. If you want a reasonable size and nice specs, it's really the only option you have.

Barring that, there's the Nexus 5 (which I find a little too tall but not too extreme) and um, well, the lovely "mini" versions of OEM-skinned phones? There aren't any good phones in small form factors.

3peat
May 6, 2010

The only phone with great battery life, high end specs, smaller form factor and not an iphone is sony z1 compact. It could be out of your price range tho

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Country/Provider: United States / T-Mobile Pre Paid (SIM Card I think)

Current contract status: Good (Month / Month, Android Data)

Budget (phone/plan): ~$200 (Plan is N/A)

Features I know I want: Android, Good Battery Life.

I heard that the Moto is a good great phone but I'm not sure which to get or where to buy it ... or much less how to transfer it from my old dead Samsung S3 (it's literally bricked, won't power on at all anymore)

Thanks in advance.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Country/Provider: United States / Any
Current Contract Status: Just finished 2 years with Verizon.
Budget: I'm not exactly sure, but ideally phone under 100 and cheap plan.

My wife and I are interested in ditching smart phones, would like to find a phone and plan that suites us. In terms of the phone the main things are battery life and ease of texting. For the plan unlimited texts and probably 100-150 minutes each per month.

Looking online it seems like the LG Rumor Reflex would be the ideal option -- is there anything else worth considering and what plan/carrier would be best with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Malek posted:

Country/Provider: United States / T-Mobile Pre Paid (SIM Card I think)

Current contract status: Good (Month / Month, Android Data)

Budget (phone/plan): ~$200 (Plan is N/A)

Features I know I want: Android, Good Battery Life.

I heard that the Moto is a good great phone but I'm not sure which to get or where to buy it ... or much less how to transfer it from my old dead Samsung S3 (it's literally bricked, won't power on at all anymore)

Thanks in advance.
You buy it here.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Jesus. Didn't I see one previously that was $200?

(EDIT) Ah the Moto G. Will that work?

Malek fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 7, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Malek posted:

Jesus. Didn't I see one previously that was $200?
Oh you want the Moto G. That's here.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I've got 3 weeks to get my wife a sweet anniversary gift, and upgrading her iPhone 3 is looking like a solid option.
  • Country/Provider: USA/ AT&T
  • Current contract status: I don't know, but she's had the phone for a few years, so I'm thinking she's well past the 2 year mark of the contract and paying month to month.
  • Budget (phone/plan): Currently paying $89/month :cry:
  • Features I know I want:
    - iPhone is a must. She likes it, and does not want to use anything else. I'm thinking an iPhone 5 would be a noticeable upgrade for her.

So basically, I want to get her a newer model iPhone. If I can get a cheaper monthly rate, that'd be awesome too. Should I walk into an AT&T store and get talked into a new contract? Shop online for a phone and then figure out how to get it to work with her account?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A few questions:

Does she have an unlimited data plan?
If so, does she want to keep it?
What provider do you use?
Would you consider getting a plan together with her?

If she's on unlimited and wants to keep it, then you won't be cutting her plan costs short of switching to T-Mobile. If you're going to get a subsidized phone, an iPhone 5s or 5c are the obvious choices, and there's been some sales on both here and there. If she doesn't want/need unlimited data, you can bring her monthly cost down to $65 before taxes without a contract, though you'll have to pay full price for the device.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Need some help on a stupid question I can't find an answer for:

My aunt needs to charge her UK Orange Nokia 100 in North America. Would a simple plug adapter do the trick? Like this one??

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

A few questions:

Does she have an unlimited data plan?
If so, does she want to keep it?
What provider do you use?
Would you consider getting a plan together with her?
-I don't know for certain, but seems right given the monthly fee is always the same.
-Yes
-AT&T
-No, I have an iPhone 5 already through my work, who pays all the bills if I answer IT on-call in a rotation of 1 week on, 2 off... but there's no way to piggy-back my wife in to that business account.

So then it sounds like I've got to just head into AT&T or Apple, say I want to upgrade my wife's phone, and that I want an iPhone 5, and take it from there?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alfajor posted:

-I don't know for certain, but seems right given the monthly fee is always the same.
-Yes
-AT&T
-No, I have an iPhone 5 already through my work, who pays all the bills if I answer IT on-call in a rotation of 1 week on, 2 off... but there's no way to piggy-back my wife in to that business account.

So then it sounds like I've got to just head into AT&T or Apple, say I want to upgrade my wife's phone, and that I want an iPhone 5, and take it from there?

Maybe? The big question is are you authorized on the plan. If it is in her name and you are not authorized, you cannot access her plan.

Either way, I would say that A. You can keep her unlimited plan and if she hasn't upgraded in forever she can probably upgrade, but B. Buying phones can be a great gift, but I would highly recommend the "surprise we are going to the ATT store" version vs "surprise here is your phone!" There are just more factors involved with phones.

FYI get a 5S. IPhone 5 is discontinued and I wouldn't recommend the 5C at this point.

Either way, you will get push back from any ATT rep on the new plans being better. What I would say is a lot of the time they are, but just crunch the numbers and see what works for you two. You can keep an unlimited data plan on ATT if you have it and want to.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Ah, that's a good idea. Gives me something to write inside the card, too. :tipshat:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Housh posted:

My aunt needs to charge her UK Orange Nokia 100 in North America. Would a simple plug adapter do the trick? Like this one??
Yes.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Housh posted:

Probably. Read the label on the charger. If it says "Input: 110-220 volts" then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Country/Provider: Canada / Currently on Virgin

Budget (phone/plan): $400

Features I know I want: Android, Micro SD

Looking for an unlocked phone around the price of a Nexus 5, but with a Micro SD reader - is there a decent phone with Micro SD at this price point?