Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TheJoker138 posted:

The last thing he said was that third Kill Bill (Kill Bride) was in fact NOT going to happen.

Source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Red posted:

Source?

http://www.webpronews.com/quentin-tarantino-has-officially-shut-down-any-rumors-of-kill-bill-3-2013-12

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Which links to http://www.contactmusic.com/story/quentin-tarantino-no-plans-for-kill-bill-3_4004317.

It seems more like apathy than a denial.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If he's apathetic about it he's probably not going to do it. At least not in the time frame he said it was going to happen originally. It would have to be out this year for them to hit that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it go the same way as the Vega Bros. movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Quentin Tarantino is pretty notorious for talking about all the movie ideas he has and then doing barely any of them. And when he does, it takes a long rear end time. I remember him talking about doing "a World War 2 movie" back in 2001ish. Basically what I'm saying is don't hold your breath on Kill Bill volume 3.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Quentin Tarantino is pretty notorious for talking about all the movie ideas he has and then doing barely any of them. And when he does, it takes a long rear end time. I remember him talking about doing "a World War 2 movie" back in 2001ish. Basically what I'm saying is don't hold your breath on Kill Bill volume 3.

Hell, not only was it a WW2 movie, he literally had told people the title and basic plot of Inglorious Basterds before Kill Bill was even out. Until it's announced he's shooting something just assume it doesn't exist. Even "he has a full script" isn't a guarantee after the whole Hateful Eight debacle.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

If he's apathetic about it he's probably not going to do it. At least not in the time frame he said it was going to happen originally. It would have to be out this year for them to hit that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it go the same way as the Vega Bros. movie.

Oh, definitely, but I take the "eh, not right now" as it just being low on the totem pole, which means at least there's the possibility he might get excited about it down the road.

Tarantino certainly seems like the type who just wants to try out new poo poo, and I wouldn't be surprised if he does a gangster film, a monster movie, and a growing up movie (like Stand By Me or something) before he thinks about KB3.

Still - a Whole Bloody Affair just seems like a no-brainer moneymaker.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Hell, not only was it a WW2 movie, he literally had told people the title and basic plot of Inglorious Basterds before Kill Bill was even out. Until it's announced he's shooting something just assume it doesn't exist. Even "he has a full script" isn't a guarantee after the whole Hateful Eight debacle.

I remember in those days he was talking about Adam Sandler and Steve Buscemi being major characters in what became Inglorious Basterds.

I think a big part of his problem is that he has so loving many ideas all the time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I remember in those days he was talking about Adam Sandler and Steve Buscemi being major characters in what became Inglorious Basterds.

I think a big part of his problem is that he has so loving many ideas all the time.

His very first idea was that it was going to be like the Expendables, in that it was going to be all the action stars from the 80's. Stallone was going to be Brad Pitt and Arnold was going to be Landa. Imagine THAT movie.

E: And Sandler actually was offered the role of the Bear Jew but turned it down. It's really obviously written for him, too.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
But she killed Bill. How can there be a Kill Bill 3?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Cyra posted:

But she killed Bill. How can there be a Kill Bill 3?

It would be about Vernita Green's kid hunting down Uma Thurman

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fayez Butts posted:

It would be about Vernita Green's kid hunting down Uma Thurman

It was also going to be called "Kill Bride" instead.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

TheJoker138 posted:

His very first idea was that it was going to be like the Expendables, in that it was going to be all the action stars from the 80's. Stallone was going to be Brad Pitt and Arnold was going to be Landa. Imagine THAT movie.

E: And Sandler actually was offered the role of the Bear Jew but turned it down. It's really obviously written for him, too.

Sandler turned down the chance to be in something actually credible? Is he insane, or just that lazy?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sandler turned down the chance to be in something actually credible? Is he insane, or just that lazy?

Given the timeline, he may have been making Funny People, the last thing he was actually trying in, at the same time. I can see how he might have felt more for that than Basterds.

Then again, depending on when Basterds shot, he may have turned it down to instead to Bedtime Stories, in which case I'm going with "insane."

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
He did sign up for Punch-Drunk Love, which is fantastic (and his best role).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm still pissed that Will Smith turned down Django Unchained. He would have crushed that role.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm still pissed that Will Smith turned down Django Unchained. He would have crushed that role.

Will Smith has a team of writers come in to work on every movie he does, to make it a "him" role. I don't want to see the PG-13 family friendly version of Django Unchained.

Wait, I already have, it was called Wild Wild West.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I can't stand Will Smith, so I'm delighted he didn't star in Django Unchained. Plus his film persona is totally wrong for that movie, it would have wrecked the whole thing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

I can't stand Will Smith, so I'm delighted he didn't star in Django Unchained. Plus his film persona is totally wrong for that movie, it would have wrecked the whole thing.

Tarantino wrote it for Will Smith.

And if you don't think he has acting chops, I'd highly suggest giving the director's cut of I Am Legend a chance. The movie isn't all that great but Will Smith does a great job. (I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote it for Smith after seeing that movie. The beginning of Django is tailored towards normal Will Smith while the latter half is tailored towards what Will revealed he could do)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just really don't like Will Smith. The only thing I can think of that he did which I enjoy is Men in Black.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Jamie Foxx is a pretty tremendous actor in his own right. I think he's better than Will Smith because, as mentioned before, he only ever plays himself in slightly different situations. I Am Legend is a good example of his chops, as well as Pursuit of Happyness, but I think he would have enveloped the role in the wrong kind of way.

Foxx was incredible in Ray and I especially love Jarhead. I think he killed it in Django.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like The Holy Mountain and El Topo are coming back into print. Only $13.99 on July 7th. If you have a copy, flip it while you can

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Mountain...ASIN=B00LCT48JC

http://www.amazon.com/El-Topo-Blu-r...ASIN=B00LCT48HE

ShoogaSlim posted:

Jamie Foxx is a pretty tremendous actor in his own right. I think he's better than Will Smith because, as mentioned before, he only ever plays himself in slightly different situations. I Am Legend is a good example of his chops, as well as Pursuit of Happyness, but I think he would have enveloped the role in the wrong kind of way.

Foxx was incredible in Ray and I especially love Jarhead. I think he killed it in Django.

It's one of those weird things because the beginning half of Django would have been improved by the levity that Will Smith can bring but I have no idea if he could bring the intensity that Jamie Foxx nailed in the second half.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 29, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I kind of wish they'd add music-only tracks since the DVD box set included CDs. The Holy Mountain has a great score, plus one of the tracks is titled "gently caress Machine"

edit: Amazon says they're directly from ABKCO, so maybe they did revise the discs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know why they put them out of print if they're already reissuing them so soon?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know why they put them out of print if they're already reissuing them so soon?

Before it was probably because they didn't want to pay for another print run.
Now it's probably because they want to piggyback on the home video release of Jodorowsky's Dune.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Apologies if this has been discussed and I can't find it, but I was at Wal-Mart and saw a number of "Only at Wal-Mart" exclusive Blu-rays for sale with a specific, artistic cover for each. Perhaps poorly described but you can see examples here:

http://tinyurl.com/omco7ru

Scroll down to the suggestions for others from the same line same. The prices were pretty good but I didn't really understand if the only difference was the cover art, or if there's more to it.

Anyone buy any of these?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sand Monster posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed and I can't find it, but I was at Wal-Mart and saw a number of "Only at Wal-Mart" exclusive Blu-rays for sale with a specific, artistic cover for each. Perhaps poorly described but you can see examples here:

http://tinyurl.com/omco7ru

Scroll down to the suggestions for others from the same line same. The prices were pretty good but I didn't really understand if the only difference was the cover art, or if there's more to it.

Anyone buy any of these?

Jesus Christ those are all terrible.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Plus, why would you even want some of those? There's no way that $9 copy of Mad Mad etc. World even comes close to the Criterion release.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GonSmithe posted:

West Side Story is okay.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The MGM Mad Word uses the same 4k master and has a tepid making of that is not on Criterion's release. Worth it if you don't want to spend $24 on it

Also, West Side Story had a fade out added in the opening if you care about that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, West Side Story had a fade out added in the opening if you care about that.

HOLY loving poo poo! YEAH!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

The MGM Mad Word uses the same 4k master and has a tepid making of that is not on Criterion's release. Worth it if you don't want to spend $24 on it

Wait, so would it have the added-in deleted scenes?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The average consumer doesn't know or care about the Criterion Collection and if they saw both copies on the same shelf they're just going to buy the cheaper one.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

Could you clarify on this? (source, further details, etc.) I've looked around at all the usual places and don't see any discussion about this.

I know there was already one fix / replacement program for West Side Story - the opening was modified to be closer to the correct original version, but it was still different in a few key ways. Is the disc in the Walmart exclusive package a third attempt, or just a surefire way to get the previously issued second attempt?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Red posted:

Wait, so would it have the added-in deleted scenes?

No, it has an hour of the 70mm trims without context or in sequence in 480i. Only the Criterion has the extended cut reconstruction. Both used the 4k master for the majority of the film (whatever that is in the general release cut).

The documentary isn't that great unless you want to see what the film looks like in pan & scan on analog video.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Could you clarify on this? (source, further details, etc.) I've looked around at all the usual places and don't see any discussion about this.

I know there was already one fix / replacement program for West Side Story - the opening was modified to be closer to the correct original version, but it was still different in a few key ways. Is the disc in the Walmart exclusive package a third attempt, or just a surefire way to get the previously issued second attempt?

The initial disc had a fade to black at the end of the overture, then a fade in on the title. They fixed it, but some color and opticals still look funky. It is generally fine and is still a million times better than the DVD.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

The initial disc had a fade to black at the end of the overture, then a fade in on the title. They fixed it, but some color and opticals still look funky. It is generally fine and is still a million times better than the DVD.

That doesn't really answer my question - I said I was aware of the attempt to fix the way it was initially presented on BD, and I was asking if this was a third attempt since you seemed to be specifically talking about the new Walmart edition. From your answer, I can only conclude that you weren't aware of the prior issuing of the (mostly) fixed disc, and this Walmart edition offers nothing new besides the silly cover. Not trying to be snarky, just trying to be clear.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

And with no fanfare, out of loving nowhere comes the release of Kindergarten Cop. Finally!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVLGL2A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XWL3C8FJ49UK&coliid=I3OFZ7H66MSWJE

The irritating part is I've had it in my wish list forever, and when it came out it's a totally different listing so my wish list didn't update. Now I have to go check all those other movies I've been waiting for.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

And with no fanfare, out of loving nowhere comes the release of Kindergarten Cop. Finally!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVLGL2A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XWL3C8FJ49UK&coliid=I3OFZ7H66MSWJE

The irritating part is I've had it in my wish list forever, and when it came out it's a totally different listing so my wish list didn't update. Now I have to go check all those other movies I've been waiting for.

Your Amazon wishlist? That's odd.

It was great about letting me know I could buy Harry and The Hendersons.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

GonSmithe posted:

They look like those terrible "artsy" posters that people were posting online a few years ago. Where they take some oblique symbolic image and do everything in this super stylized manner that just doesn't work. I mean, Space Balls just doesn't... although good job sneaking the phallic imagery in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
The only one that isn't TOO horrid is the Planet of the Apes collection. I picked that one up on a whim as I was buying dog food the other day; they have the Blu-Ray version for $20 in-store with $8 in credit for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Not a bad deal for five movies if you didn't grab it when it was on sale a while ago.

• Locked thread