Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shukaro posted:

For anyone interested, the old AHK program I made for mouse control still works fine. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102563.0

Guess I'll probably work on it again soon seeing as the new update is around the corner. Maybe just scrap it and rewrite for dfhack, who knows.

How does this interact with Falconne's stuff? I like the panning part, but don't want to lose live cursor stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

How does this interact with Falconne's stuff? I like the panning part, but don't want to lose live cursor stuff.

I haven't tested it, but you can turn off the cursor tracking if Falconne's is better.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shukaro posted:

I haven't tested it, but you can turn off the cursor tracking if Falconne's is better.

Do you have a paypal? I'd definitely throw a little money for DF-Hack version of your menu (I use it all the time.)

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Does anyone have a recommended scheme for hauling? I always turn off stone and wood hauling for miners, and wood hauling for lumberjacks. That way I can always be getting important work done. I never have recover wounded for essential doctors (but yes for expendable nurses) after reading someone's suggestion that maybe sending important medical dwarves into danger would limit the viability of the entire population. Right now most of my hauling decisions are orchestrated around each dwarf's specialty and the seasonal trade caravans. I don't even need anything from the caravans, but they are a foolproof means to get rid of masterwork items as well as acquire absent resources (clay in my current fort).

I usually just put the idlers to hauling and turn off hauling for everyone else. It's done in seconds with Dwarf Therapist; just turn off hauling for everyone, let the game run for a few seconds, sort by job in DT and then enable hauling for every slacker not working. You'll have to make exceptions for anyone important enough to be allowed to idle though (like doctors and smiths).

Alternatively, you can just permanently assign anyone who looks useless to hauling, and let everyone with a real job focus on that. There's usually a huge population surplus anyway, no need to waste the time of more important dwarves with jobs like hauling.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Do you have a paypal? I'd definitely throw a little money for DF-Hack version of your menu (I use it all the time.)

I think this should work for that. Are there any things you/others would like to see implemented or changed? I'm probably going to break it into multiple plugins if I do end up rewriting it for dfhack.

Also, glad that it's been useful!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, I was thinking of trying to get the Dwarf Therapist optimizer to working but I can never figure out a good ratio for jobs and just in general getting it to work is a hassle. Does anyone have one for Masterwork already set up that I can look at?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suicide Sam E. posted:

On a related note, has anyone had luck creating a "Danger Room" to train militia dwarves and of course, train a bunch of doctors? I tried making one with weapon traps the other night. I was too tired to realize there was no means of getting the dwarves to activate the traps and then attempt to flee from them.

Do it with upright weapon traps, link them to a pressure plate in your main dining hall that is set to activate when citizens step on it (I do that so I don't have to have a pull lever job on repeat).

Use wooden training weapons or it will be a death room.

Is there any way to configure mifki's multi level renderer to show less layers? I want to use it but as it is the FPS drops too much for it to really be useful to me in anything that isn't a brand new embark. I want to see if maybe rendering just 2-3 levels under the current one would help at all.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 30, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nah, that functionality isn't in yet.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'll start a dwarf monastery in the mountain peaks or something then.

If all the DFhack r5 and mifki stuff is adaptable to the new Dwarf Fortress version coming out then this game will have taken a massive step forward imo. I'm pretty excited.

I also just learned that minecarts can, in fact, preserve momentum from a drop and continue to roll, but only under certain circumstances. Now I won't need rollers at the bottom of all my minecart trap return chutes, saving me a bunch of power generation needs. I thought for the longest time they just stopped if they dropped, even if they land on a ramp.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 30, 2014

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of trying to get the Dwarf Therapist optimizer to working but I can never figure out a good ratio for jobs and just in general getting it to work is a hassle. Does anyone have one for Masterwork already set up that I can look at?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1320684/Master%20Plan.csv

I haven't used it in a while, so I don't know how well it works in the newest version of Masterwork, but it's quite simple so you might want to just set up your own. Professions that only need a few workers (like smithing) get a ratio of 0,50, professions that need many workers (like mining and furnace operating) get a ratio of 2.

Max jobs per dwarf starts out high, then you can gradually reduce it as you get more workers. Just put in whatever number gets you a decent number of workers per job. After you run an optimization, assign any idlers as haulers (with the possible exception of your broker/bookkeeper/manager/doctors). Just sort by jobs and turn on hauling for the entire "no job"-group.

You need a decent sized population for the optimizer to be better than manually assigning jobs, so I usually don't run it until after 2-4 waves of immigrants.

Edit: Also, any professions you don't need are best removed from the list (like fishing and hunting).

Apoffys fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 30, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shukaro posted:

I think this should work for that. Are there any things you/others would like to see implemented or changed? I'm probably going to break it into multiple plugins if I do end up rewriting it for dfhack.

Also, glad that it's been useful!

I know some people like the designations menu, but if you could break it up like Gnomoria style.

IE: I want to dig -> Up/Down Stairs, Down stairs, Dig, Ramp etc. etc.
I want to do harvest-y type things-> Cut tress / gather plants / etc. etc.
stuff like that.

Also what would be an ok amount? I don't really know how much you'd expect for this, and I don't want to seem cheap / an rear end in a top hat.

Here's a link to the menu system in Gnomoria, ignoring the fact they use pictures instead of words I think for building / placing stuff it could still work: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247712396

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

I know some people like the designations menu, but if you could break it up like Gnomoria style.

IE: I want to dig -> Up/Down Stairs, Down stairs, Dig, Ramp etc. etc.
I want to do harvest-y type things-> Cut tress / gather plants / etc. etc.
stuff like that.

Also what would be an ok amount? I don't really know how much you'd expect for this, and I don't want to seem cheap / an rear end in a top hat.

Here's a link to the menu system in Gnomoria, ignoring the fact they use pictures instead of words I think for building / placing stuff it could still work: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247712396

Ah, that you can actually do right now by customizing the menus. They're defined in the 'menus' folder wherever you've got the program, as txt files. The syntax is fairly easy to figure out, here's a reference for the stuff it supports and here's the default for reference.

As for the donation stuff, I don't think I've ever thought of some dude as a cheapskate for not giving X amount of moolah. Any amount makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, I just write mods because it's fun.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm kinda worried all these cool new things will lose momentum when a new version comes out in a week and then we have to wait a while for dfhack, etc to start working again...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suicide Sam E. posted:

On a related note, has anyone had luck creating a "Danger Room" to train militia dwarves and of course, train a bunch of doctors? I tried making one with weapon traps the other night. I was too tired to realize there was no means of getting the dwarves to activate the traps and then attempt to flee from them.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Danger_room

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can't get the TWBT stuff to work. :downs:

I'm using the thing Meph posted here, unpacking it, copying my saves in, and I still get symbols where I expect I'd get letters now (menus and the like).

What obvious and stupid thing am I missing?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

^^ no idea, does it work fine in the masterwork proper?

What kind of layout do you guys do with your workshops? I'm thinking of either a 3x4 cell with stairs (or are ramps quicker?) going down 1 z-level to a stockpile or just a 5x5 with a stockpile surrounding it, but that would take a lot of room.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Considering that I can't find any reference to a tilesheet that had those punctuation marks and other things handy, that package is just hosed. It's more than a week old, too, with advances happening almost daily.

e: He carefully replaced every piece of weaponry, armor and instruments in vanilla with unique sprites, but left all the text-mangling tiles as is? ~meph~

scamtank fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 1, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

I can't get the TWBT stuff to work. :downs:

I'm using the thing Meph posted here, unpacking it, copying my saves in, and I still get symbols where I expect I'd get letters now (menus and the like).

What obvious and stupid thing am I missing?

Got the right print mode on?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

GreyPowerVan posted:

^^ no idea, does it work fine in the masterwork proper?

What kind of layout do you guys do with your workshops? I'm thinking of either a 3x4 cell with stairs (or are ramps quicker?) going down 1 z-level to a stockpile or just a 5x5 with a stockpile surrounding it, but that would take a lot of room.

I usually build my workshops on a separate level directly below or above my stockpile (and kitchen, dorms on the opposite level) as 5x5 rooms like so..
code:
WWWDWWW  [W]all
WFFFFFW  [D]oor
WFFFFFW  [F]loor
DFFFFFD
WFFFFFW
WFFFFFW
WWWDWWW
..allowing for plenty of room around the workshops so dwarves don't have to struggle to get around impassable tiles as well as giving me a bit of space if I want to store items (food, drink, materials etc) around it or place furniture. I start out with 9 such rooms in a 3x3 formation, usually with the staircase in the middle room, and eventually expand to 5x5 when my fortress has grown a bit. Doors on all sides lets me close off workshops when moody dwarves are at risk of going crazy, while still allowing easy passage to and from any surrounding workshops. I don't know if it's optimal, but it's nice and organized and keeps all my workers close to the general stockpile.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm kinda worried all these cool new things will lose momentum when a new version comes out in a week and then we have to wait a while for dfhack, etc to start working again...

Yeah I've been looking forward to this release for awhile now, but the game is pretty much unplayable without DwarfTherapist.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Even back when I played without any mods or addons whatsoever, I always waited 3-6 months before playing a new release of Dwarf Fortress. You run into too many bugs and undocumented features otherwise.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scamtank posted:

Considering that I can't find any reference to a tilesheet that had those punctuation marks and other things handy, that package is just hosed. It's more than a week old, too, with advances happening almost daily.

e: He carefully replaced every piece of weaponry, armor and instruments in vanilla with unique sprites, but left all the text-mangling tiles as is? ~meph~

Turns out that the problem is apparently that I need a game with the right raws, and my saves didn't have it? Not sure how that affects the loading menu, but my curiosity can wait.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No, your raws are fine. It's just that the STANDARD printmode that twbt demands doesn't allow TrueType, which in turn used to conceal all that symbol overlap in the tileset itself.

e: Well, there's one thing affected by raws. Phoebus and other graphics sets usually claim all the weird accented characters like ó, å and ö for all-graphical glyphs, so they usually neuter the language_xyz.txt files and replace any accented characters with plain a:s and o:s.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 1, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scamtank posted:

e: Well, there's one thing affected by raws. Phoebus and other graphics sets usually claim all the weird accented characters like ó, å and ö for all-graphical glyphs, so they usually neuter the language_xyz.txt files and replace any accented characters with plain a:s and o:s.

Yeah, I think that's what's happening.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Having a spell of illness that makes me stuck inside for some time, and though it terrifies me, I'm thinking of getting into it again. Any changes since last year?

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 1, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tias posted:

Having a spell of illness that makes me stuck inside for some time, and though it terrifies me, I'm thinking of getting into it again. Any changes since last year?

Yeah, a new release just came out yesterday. Climbable trees and poo poo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Don't accept Munki's trolling.

In reality, nothing has changed in vanilla DF for 2 years, try masterwork. Vanilla is being updated... sometime in the next monthish.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

We have wonderful rendering things that show us multiple Z-levels and stuff from multiple tile sheets at the same time on the same screen.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Tias posted:

Lots of changes, but only through mods as mentioned. Try the Starter Pack (vanilla DF with improvements) or the Masterwork pack (heavily modded, with lots of different races to play as).

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

July rapport. About time.

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: The game is coming out next week! Soon you will get to join us in the living hell of debugging this monster. I'm only sort of playing! Almost everything about dwarf behavior had to be changed for this release, so literally every aspect of the game is crawling with bugs. We didn't wait this long because we hate you! We just wanted to get rid of the most soul-crushing bugs so you could join us in perfecting this creation without pulling out all of your hair! Thank you for sticking around. We could not do this without your help.

Congratulations to the generous!

:siren::siren: THE GAME IS COMING OUT NEXT WEEK :siren::siren:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Yeah, I was hoping to release it on the 1st, but it'll be a good thing to hang on to it for a few more days. I just crashed after walking 10 steps with an adventurer, and there were a few justice crashes fixed yesterday. Soon... soon...

June: $4938.74
May: $3705.91

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Oh man, here comes three months of bugged Dwarf Fortress awesome stories. I am pretty hyped.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
My money's on dwarves bleeding out their skeletons as a highlight bug.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I know a lot was changed, but Threetoe is implying the general AI was uprooted even harder than I was expecting. This is gonna be good, even moreso than usual.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm hoping something fun like dwarfs entering a fell mood when they get too happy.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
"Fixed invaders completing pending jobs."

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

eagerly awaiting a mega-beast entering the map only to immediately undergo a fell mood and craft a dwarf bone helm from raw materials

e : adorned with hanging rings of dwarf guts

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shukaro posted:

"Fixed invaders completing pending jobs."

"Goblin sieges began climbing up wells but became non-hostile fort residents after finishing the climb. Most of them become fishermen."

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm going with multi tile trees growing suddenly and splitting a dwarf in half, and / or destroying your fort.

Multi tile trees do grow right? They aren't just a world gen thing right? It would be a huge disappointment if only single tile trees spawned afterwards.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That'd be a pretty enormous oversight, but I admit I've never once thought how it would work in fortress-time. I'll have to wade through some FotF posts.

e: There we go:

Toady One posted:

Trees start at one tile and they grow from there, so issues with blockage and all that haven't really changed.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Before I undertake to build start but never finish one in my spare time, are there any visual fortress designers that are any good? Copy/duplicate/rotate pattern for bedroom zones, multiple Z levels with stair connectivity, ability to resize and name stockpiles, etc?