Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

The clerk was a college girl trying to act tough, but obviously very shaken by the events, she was chewing on a tobacco cigarette and focusing very hard on the lighter in her hand. He didn't comment on the action, despite the normal illegality of smoking in doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I really hope the person who wrote this is about 17 years old. Otherwise :ohdear:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

coyo7e posted:

holy poo poo

I thought British people weren't cool with screwing kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwbty1kRCG0

You missed out on Operation Yewtree then, huh?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Fried Chicken posted:

I recommend all of them. Glasshouse is probably his most interesting but also most difficult book, as it deals a lot with identity and makes heavy use of the unreliable narrator. Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise are fun space opera. Saturn's Children is him riffing on late Heinlein and picking fights with the "libertarian space cadets" as he refers to them. The Scottish PD books of Halting State and Rule 34 are very interesting near future

:words:

Thanks for that summary. I am adding "Saturn's Children" to my reading queue... which is about to overflow!

E: I'm reading old "classics" now. "Old" as in E.E.Smith. I had never read anything from him before. I finished "Skylark of Space", which is awfully bad even wearing the strongest posible "oldies glasses". I am now about 3/4 of "Triplanetary", which being campy is not SO bad and I'm actually quite enjoying it. I'm not sure if I will go through the Lensmen series; I will probably try one or two more books if I can find them in electronic format.

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 1, 2014

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Tower Lord, the second Raven's Shadow book, is out today. I love when I've forgotten I preordered something and it just magically appears on my kindle.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

Tower Lord, the second Raven's Shadow book, is out today. I love when I've forgotten I preordered something and it just magically appears on my kindle.

Shadow Throne by Django Wexler as well. These should both be excellent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Amberskin posted:

Thanks for that summary. I am adding "Saturn's Children" to my reading queue... which is about to overflow!

E: I'm reading old "classics" now. "Old" as in E.E.Smith. I had never read anything from him before. I finished "Skylark of Space", which is awfully bad even wearing the strongest posible "oldies glasses". I am now about 3/4 of "Triplanetary", which being campy is not SO bad and I'm actually quite enjoying it. I'm not sure if I will go through the Lensmen series; I will probably try one or two more books if I can find them in electronic format.

You should read Lensmen just for the absurd escalation. By the end, wars are being fought by throwing planets at each other.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

I found out yesterday that Robin Hobb is releasing a new book: Fool's Assassin will be on sale on 12 August in the UK. She's also doing a book signing at Forbidden Planet in London. I am definitely excited about this. I haven't read Fool's Fate since the first time, but I plan to correct this (via audiobook if nothing else...) before I read the new one.

While we're talking Hobb, I read the first of the Rain Wild Chronicles when it came out and didn't enjoy it that much so I never bothered to go back and read the rest of the series. Does it improve?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

nightchild12 posted:

Well, from what I've read online (and honestly in my opinion), the Merchant Princes series is not too highly regarded. I found it entertaining enough, but it has some problems with pacing that make it kind of drag in places.
Yeah, though the revised ones that got released last year correct a bunch of that. That series really suffered from getting bushwhacked by the publisher

quote:

I've also read some negative reviews about Rule 34, but have never read it so don't know how it reads personally.
I liked it a lot, but I find the near future scifi stuff cool

quote:

I think I maybe read something once about weird robot sex scenes in Saturn's Children (again, never read it)?
yeah, that one is riffing off late Heinlein (specifically Friday) and so he is mocking the weird late career sexual weirdness.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Merchant Princes is the sort of thing I only recommend to people who find the premise sufficiently fascinating. That's what prompted me to read it in the first place. I won't use the S word but Stross has put a fair amount of thought into how the shadow economy works and what the practical applications of the dimension-hopping ability are. I can see it coming off as dry to anyone who doesn't care about that sort of thing.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

quote:

I think I maybe read something once about weird robot sex scenes in Saturn's Children (again, never read it)?
I haven't read it either (although it's on my list), but according to Wikipedia this is a book about (highly human-like) robots in a solar system where the humans have all gone extinct, which may contribute some context.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Darth Walrus posted:

You missed out on Operation Yewtree then, huh?

If by missed out you mean I never got diddled by Mister Rogers, yeah.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mars4523 posted:

I haven't read it either (although it's on my list), but according to Wikipedia this is a book about (highly human-like) robots in a solar system where the humans have all gone extinct, which may contribute some context.

That is indeed the basic premise of the book, yes; there is an interplanetary civilization consisting of robots originally created to serve humans in various capacities, but humans are no longer around. Slaves with no masters, if you like. Specifically, the main character of the novel is a robot model designed as a courtesan. But, again, no humans to serve.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Jedit posted:

You should read Lensmen just for the absurd escalation. By the end, wars are being fought by throwing planets at each other.

I'm sure there is somewhere a pretty lady making very basic but intelligent questions about it while she enjoys the protection of a handsome and absurdly intelligent gentleman.

Oh, the old cliches!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

That is indeed the basic premise of the book, yes; there is an interplanetary civilization consisting of robots originally created to serve humans in various capacities, but humans are no longer around. Slaves with no masters, if you like. Specifically, the main character of the novel is a robot model designed as a courtesan. But, again, no humans to serve.

I think I remember seeing this book. Did the cover have a weird hybrid cgi / anime chick on the front of it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think I remember seeing this book. Did the cover have a weird hybrid cgi / anime chick on the front of it?

The cover is a ludicrous abomination, yes, that's the one. To be fair, if you're gonna draw a sex robot protagonist for a book cover . . .

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Luckily Stross's UK publisher isn't loving retarded:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Luckily Stross's UK publisher isn't loving retarded:

Thanks for a reminder. *shudder*

vvvvv You are a terrible human being. The worst. Most bad.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 1, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The cover is a ludicrous abomination, yes, that's the one. To be fair, if you're gonna draw a sex robot protagonist for a book cover . . .

Man, you can't say that and not post it!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

specklebang posted:

I just got my ARC of The Dark Defiles, the final book of The Land Fit For Heroes by Richard K. Morgan. Eat your hearts out. It will be available to you commoners in October while we of Royalty have long since finished it.

I'm just going to quote something from Mr. Gandhi: "If you don't ask, you don't get".

HRH Specklebang

Jerk. Going into this year I was looking forward to Echopraxia, The Dark Defiles and The Causal Angel the most so you're putting salt in the wound here.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Just finished The Rhesus Chart by Charles Stross.

Holy loving Christ. I thought it was incredible, and one of the better books of the series. The stakes are real :(.

Can't wait for the next book, which is a Mo book. I believe it has something to do with elves?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Amberskin posted:

I'm sure there is somewhere a pretty lady making very basic but intelligent questions about it while she enjoys the protection of a handsome and absurdly intelligent gentleman.

Oh, the old cliches!

A short time later, the conversation turns to eugenics, what a fantastic idea it is, and how a profitable use for those fancy planet-throwing devices might be to herd all those funny brown people onto an uninhabited world and aiming one of said devices at it.

I've said it before, but Smith really demonstrates the sci-fi trends that Spinrad spoofed in The Iron Dream.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mars4523 posted:

Just finished The Rhesus Chart by Charles Stross.

Holy loving Christ. I thought it was incredible, and one of the better books of the series. The stakes are real :(.
yeah, he went GRRM there. I did a mental count and I think we are down to 10 series regulars left from the atrocity archives? He did a number on his cast there

Definitely one of the better laundry books, has a real tense vibe to it

quote:

Can't wait for the next book, which is a Mo book. I believe it has something to do with elves?

Elves is the book after the Mo book, it is an alien invasion book. The Mo book is a superhero book

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hey guys, let's all try to use spoiler tags for the new Laundry book, even if you're vagueposting. Otherwise the queue fills up with reports and I have to edit spoiler tags into everyone's posts and that makes me really grumpy, especially since I haven't finished the book yet myself considering it's been out barely twelve hours. Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 1, 2014

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

yeah, he went GRRM there. I did a mental count and I think we are down to 10 series regulars left from the atrocity archives? He did a number on his cast there

Definitely one of the better laundry books, has a real tense vibe to it

Elves is the book after the Mo book, it is an alien invasion book. The Mo book is a superhero book

Told ya.

Also the Stross book covers are hilarious, but Stross had nothing to do with them as he describes in his blog and which has also been discussed in this thread.
I think Hedrigall have posted Mieville covers that are pretty far away from the actual story in the book.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

Outside the roaring memories of the silver-haired woman in a beautiful kimono, Isaiah Thomas sat in the cooling Autumn winds as some side portion of his mind thought back to when he was a kid and people were almost literally up in arms about greenhouse gases and their effect on the world's environment. Many of those old environmentalists were still claiming, now in 2035, that Man was causing global warming even as new lows were recorded year after year.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hahaha, what is that from?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fookolt posted:

This, I think:

corn in the bible posted:

I went to the bookstore today and found a self published novel. Timgs because lovely cellphone photos.

And the magical dedication:

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

specklebang posted:

I just got my ARC of The Dark Defiles, the final book of The Land Fit For Heroes by Richard K. Morgan.

Urg I want this. I did win an ARC of Edward Cox's 'The Relic Guild' though so i'll probably read that to tide me over. I love Richard Morgan's stuff, it's just loving mental.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Just finished The Girl With All The Gifts. I never really thought I'd compare Orson Scott Card favorably to M.R. Carey, but at least Ender Wiggin addressed the fact that he committed genocide. I get the whole Pandora thing, but the whole point of that fable is that Pandora was curious, opened the box, and bad things happened. Melanie knowingly lets lose a pathogen that will kill every person left alive on the planet to make way for her newer, better people, because she decides that's the only way to stop everyone else from killing each other. There's a world of difference there, and Melanie based that assumption on a sample size of a half a dozen people.

Rant over, carry on.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Maud Moonshine posted:

While we're talking Hobb, I read the first of the Rain Wild Chronicles when it came out and didn't enjoy it that much so I never bothered to go back and read the rest of the series. Does it improve?

I liked it well enough to finish the series but I don't think it really improves; I thought the third and fourth books had way too little happening in them despite satisfying conclusions to some characters arcs and the series would have been better as a trilogy.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Does anyone know of any fun, campy space opera books I can read? Something light and fun, like Star Wars or Farscape would be great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fookolt posted:

Bystander. It can be yours for only thirteen dollars: http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/luke-thrythlind-green/bystander/paperback/product-18745374.html

But your copy won't be the author's personal copy that he sold to a used bookstore :smug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Bystander. It can be yours for only thirteen dollars: http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/luke-thrythlind-green/bystander/paperback/product-18745374.html

But your copy won't be the author's personal copy that he sold to a used bookstore :smug:

Haha, you never told us: author Luke "Thrythlind" Green

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, that dude has a lisp too?

InMyHighCastle
Mar 10, 2014
I'm thinking of getting stuck into Mark Lawrence's latest novel, Prince of Fools; I'm a big fan of Joe Abercrombie's stuff, and I've heard that Lawrence's writing is similarly grim 'n gritty.

Is it worth picking up the Broken Empire trilogy, I've heard it received some very mixed reviews?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Haha, you never told us: author Luke "Thrythlind" Green

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

InMyHighCastle posted:

I'm thinking of getting stuck into Mark Lawrence's latest novel, Prince of Fools; I'm a big fan of Joe Abercrombie's stuff, and I've heard that Lawrence's writing is similarly grim 'n gritty.

Is it worth picking up the Broken Empire trilogy, I've heard it received some very mixed reviews?

Very iffy. They're ultra grim dark, to an almost comical extent. The setting is actually interesting, but I found the last book in particular to be a serious slog to a fairly unsatisfying ending.

Velius fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 2, 2014

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Since people are posting about ARCs they've gotten/are getting, I just found out I'll be getting one for Fool's Assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Mog posted:

Does anyone know of any fun, campy space opera books I can read? Something light and fun, like Star Wars or Farscape would be great.

Hell yes, read The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn, who's also known for writing the best (read: "only good") Star Wars novels. It's a standalone book about rogue space adventurers and a murder mystery on a spaceship. Tons of adventure and intrigue, hopping from spaceport to spaceport; and tons of cool aliens. It's the lightest fluff but I loved it.