Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kainser posted:

I'm surprised that Lithuania is so high when both Latvia and Estonia has significantly larger russian minorities.
Maybe having fewer Russians around means they overestimate their ability to actually hold a conversation in Russian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mu Cow posted:

I think the idea is that they're trying to form a Sunni Arab state, so they've left alone areas that are neither Sunni nor Arab or already controlled by Sunni Arabs.

If that's the goal, they should at least add all of Jordan to their map.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

English is the second most spoken second language in the UK, Spanish in Spain? If they're counting national languages, shouldn't these be in first place?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Patter Song posted:

If that's the goal, they should at least add all of Jordan to their map.

They're still fabricating the claim.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is how you know goons are massive nerds, the entirety of D&D is using Paradox references. And posting in D&D.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Phlegmish posted:

English is the second most spoken second language in the UK, Spanish in Spain? If they're counting national languages, shouldn't these be in first place?
It only means there are enough of people in the UK who have English as their second language and people in the Spain who have Spanish as their first language to actually get on the list. It has nothing to do with national languages, it's whatever is peoples first or second languages.

Honestly, I would've assumed English to be the most common second language in the UK and the map is probably being real merciful to the French skills of your average native English speaker in the UK.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I know what the map means, I just assumed immigrants speaking the national language as a second language would have boosted it to first place.

Yes, always take self-report data with a grain of salt. I honestly doubt 71% of the ever-modest Dutch speak good German.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
Kinda depends on what constitutes a 'conversation'. I'm pretty sure I could point a german to the local library, but I'd have a lot more trouble discussing the finer points of EU politics.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder how/why there's as many as 1% Russian speakers in Belgium (more by percentage than in Netherlands, Luxemburg or France). East-European immigrants?

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

It is more likely to be immigrants speaking English as a second language but it could also be those who speak Welsh as a first language. There are schools in Wales that teach in Welsh with English as second language.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carbon dioxide posted:

I wonder how/why there's as many as 1% Russian speakers in Belgium (more by percentage than in Netherlands, Luxemburg or France). East-European immigrants?
Russian spies and smugglers.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
"Croatian" for Slovenia and "Czech" for Slovakia seems like cheating, the languages are in all likelyhood similar enough to the respective national languages that they understand each other without trouble.

quote:

Why is French more widespread in Portugal than Spanish, and why is Spanish more widespread in France than either German or Italian?

quote:

Spanish in Italy and French in Hungary seem a bit unexpected.

quote:

It is difficult to believe that Austrians are that much better at English than the Federal Germans.

quote:

Funny that Czechs are that much worse at German than either the Poles or the Slovaks. And the French and Italians really shouldn't neglect their largest linguistic neighbour to such extent as they do.

quote:

Funny that Poles and Bulgarians are significantly better at Russian than other Slavs.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kopijeger posted:

why is Spanish more widespread in France than either German or Italian?

Anecdotally this seems correct. The vast majority of people I know took Spanish instead of German as their second foreign language because they think it's way easier.

e: Also, lots of schools don't have Italian teachers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kopijeger posted:

It is difficult to believe that Austrians are that much better at English than the Federal Germans.

This but I tend to think the worst of our southern cousins so what do I know.

I'm not surprised that the Italians and French don't learn much German, there is a lot of cultural baggage there.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Zudgemud posted:

So basically eat the poorer half of Iraq, gorge themselves on all of Syria except the Alawite stronghold of Latika, and not even nibble a bit on either Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, Jordan or Saudi Arabia? That is some weak rear end caliphate.

They just said they'd tear out the qaba (Mecca rock) before inviting in Sunni intelligentsia which probably means even they have no idea what's going on.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Sithsaber posted:

They just said they'd tear out the qaba (Mecca rock) before inviting in Sunni intelligentsia which probably means even they have no idea what's going on.

They don't have to go that far, within a few years the Saudis will have built a WalMart on top of it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soviet Commubot posted:

Anecdotally this seems correct. The vast majority of people I know took Spanish instead of German as their second foreign language because they think it's way easier.

Nobody took German when I was in school, we were like 10 in class, while the Spanish and English First Language classes were choke full of students.

You often hear about how there are fewer and fewer students taking German as First Language.

Apparently, there was a spike of German students when Tokyo Hotel were popular haha, but that's it.

Italian is a Third Language class (only in high school, usually).

My experience with languages in the French school system: collège (middle school): First Language: English or German. Second Language: Spanish, German, English (compulsory if you took German as first language)

High school: Third Language: Italian. (some schools offer other choices, for example I know a private school where they had Japanese classes).

First and Second Languages are compulsory, third languages is optional. There's also the ancient language option: Latin or Ancient Greek.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 1, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Soviet Commubot posted:

It would be. Both French and Spanish (well, and Italian) are Romance languages, so they are relatively similar.

German and English are both Germanic languages, which makes them harder to learn for native Romance speakers. But, in my experience German has lots and lots confusing little grammar rules (e.g. word genders, grammatical cases that change spelling) that English got rid of long ago, making English the easier language to learn of the two, at least for writing.

I'm a native Dutch speaker. Dutch language (also in the Germanic family) got rid of some of the confusing grammar rules in the last century, but not nearly all of them. I wouldn't mind if it evolved further in the direction English went.

E: By the way, German lost a lot of importance to English in the last few decades anyway. As an example, many important publications in the field of chemistry were only released in German half a century ago. Nowadays nearly everything in the field is in English. It makes my job a hell of a lot easier.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 1, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carbon dioxide posted:

It would be. Both French and Spanish (well, and Italian) are Romance languages, so they are relatively similar.

German and English are both Germanic languages, which makes them harder to learn for native Romance speakers. But, in my experience German has lots and lots confusing little grammar rules (e.g. word genders, grammatical cases that change spelling) that English got rid of long ago, making English the easier language to learn of the two, at least for writing.

I'm a native Dutch speaker. Dutch language (also in the Germanic family) got rid of some of the confusing grammar rules in the last century, but not nearly all of them. I wouldn't mind if it evolved further in the direction English went.

E: By the way, German lost a lot of importance to English in the last few decades anyway. As an example, many important publications in the field of chemistry were only released in German half a century ago. Nowadays nearly everything in the field is in English. It makes my job a hell of a lot easier.

Grammatical genders are not confusing, and so called "irregular verbs" are often very regular strong Germanic verbs. It's also tragic that German is one of the few (Western) European languages to retain a case system, Latin had it as well and it rules. It's really sad how languages get dumbed down, German is currently losing one of it's four grammatical cases (though it's by far the least used one).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torrannor posted:

Grammatical genders are not confusing, and so called "irregular verbs" are often very regular strong Germanic verbs. It's also tragic that German is one of the few (Western) European languages to retain a case system, Latin had it as well and it rules. It's really sad how languages get dumbed down, German is currently losing one of it's four grammatical cases (though it's by far the least used one).

The purpose of language is accurate communication so it being more streamlined (or "dumbed down" ) is the ideal.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

computer parts posted:

The purpose of language is accurate communication so it being more streamlined (or "dumbed down" ) is the ideal.

The purpose of language is to articulate meaning. Having only one word for "move fast" (ie run) reduces my means and scope of expression. Your think be ungood.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Torrannor posted:

It's really sad how languages get dumbed down, German is currently losing one of it's four grammatical cases (though it's by far the least used one).

computer parts posted:

Both of these views are pretty stupid. More analytic languages can convey the exact same information as more synthetic ones; this "accuracy" point makes no sense on any level, but generally quantifying languages on a simple-complex spectrum is pointless and ill-informed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sithsaber posted:

The purpose of language is to articulate meaning. Having only one word for "move fast" (ie run) reduces my means and scope of expression. Your think be ungood.

In your example you're not conveying your meaning accurately because you're only using one verb for a variety of circumstances.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Based on my anecdotal experiences as a Swede, i highly doubt that as many as 1 in 4 Swedes speak German fluently enough to hold a conversation. I would guesstimate that less than 5% of Swedes are that fluent.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 1, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

computer parts posted:

In your example you're not conveying your meaning accurately because you're only using one verb for a variety of circumstances.

Exactly.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Torrannor posted:

It's really sad how languages get dumbed down, German is currently losing one of it's four grammatical cases (though it's by far the least used one).

They're not getting dumbed down, the information is still there, it just takes a different form. Languages which don't use a case system rely more on rigid sentence structure and prepositions to distinguish between subject and object. It only seems dumbed down because it's the system we're most familiar with, which makes it seem simple. English speakers find Finnish complex because it has a massive case system, but Finnish lacks grammatical gender, articles, prepositions, and a distinct future tense. To Finnish speakers, these concepts are strange and complex.

Sithsaber posted:

He was referring to changes in grammar structure. Reducing vocabulary would of course hamper communication. Although, you reminded me of something from Russian. In Russian, they have four "verbs of motion" which distinguish between how a person is moving (by self or by vehicle) and direction (one-way or return). In English, we just use "go". Russian speakers are usually surprised by this omission, while English speakers wonder why Russian requires such distinctions.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Mu Cow posted:

He was referring to changes in grammar structure. Reducing vocabulary would of course hamper communication. Although, you reminded me of something from Russian. In Russian, they have four "verbs of motion" which distinguish between how a person is moving (by self or by vehicle) and direction (one-way or return). In English, we just use "go". Russian speakers are usually surprised by this omission, while English speakers wonder why Russian requires such distinctions.

There are more than four:
http://www.russianlessons.net/grammar/verbs_motion.php

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sithsaber posted:

Linguistic relativity is not a thing that exists, any meaning can be expressed in any language, though theoretically it could require an indefinite amount of syntax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_relativity

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Your thinking be ungood. I talk wordy, not differenty.

I don't get how stepanworf relates to clarification.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 2, 2014

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
Could people who have obviously never taken a single linguistics class please stop making GBS threads up the thread? Thanks!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Verus posted:

Could people who have obviously never taken a single linguistics class please stop making GBS threads up the thread? Thanks!

1. Fax me your degree.

2. Who's in the wrong here? It looks like all of us are mistakenly focusing on different aspects of the same concept.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Most up to date map of Syria and Iraq:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Bro Dad posted:

Is there a color code to go along with it?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bro Dad posted:

With a legend (and jpeg artifacts):

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
It's all been downhill since the days of proto-Indo-European, sad to say.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The Kurds not having their own country just strikes me as really stupid. Is there any good reason not to form one now that Iraq and Syria are collapsing?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The Kurds not having their own country just strikes me as really stupid. Is there any good reason not to form one now that Iraq and Syria are collapsing?

Don't know if you count it as a good reason but Turkey would at the very least be unhappy with it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Anosmoman posted:

Don't know if you count it as a good reason but Turkey would at the very least be unhappy with it.

Turkey really wants that oil and a way to spite the Muslim brotherhood crushing GCC.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

For map game fans, our Google overlords today have launched their own thing: http://smartypins.withgoogle.com/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pretty easy to get the diamond pin if you set the topic to history or geography. Fun game though.