Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Jblade posted:

If you're looking to play some new Duke3D stuff, check out the newly released DukeHard episode made by the community (including me) It's set in a skyscraper with 17 levels by 15 different authors; the installation instructions are fairly easy to follow but you'll need Eduke32 to run it. It's pretty fantastic and the majority of levels are really well done.

This is pretty great, but the movie theater level is really, really awful. (My apologies if that's the map you made!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember it being a big deal that I could use almost the highest settings on it. I did find it pretty boring even though I bought the expansion which I never finished.

Lol at the HL2 gravity gun rip off.

The gravity gun rip off was actually pretty fun to use. Grabbing imp fireballs out of the air and beaning them with it was neat (and I played RoE well after I payed Half-Life 2).

The Kins posted:

This thread lives... again.

Beautiful. I was waiting for the forums to come back for this thread.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really missed the forums because of some LP's I was following and this thread, the OP is basically the guide i give my friends when they want to play again old FPS. I'm glad it lives, again!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

catlord posted:

The gravity gun rip off was actually pretty fun to use. Grabbing imp fireballs out of the air and beaning them with it was neat (and I played RoE well after I payed Half-Life 2).
At some point, you have to ask when something stops being a rip-off and just becomes a part of the convention. A well-executed copy of an great mechanic should perhaps rather be seen as a continuation of a excellent idea, and the RoE implementation worked perfectly with the game it was introduced to. Sure, the game didn't have HL2s physics puzzles, but on the other hand, HL2 didn't have nearly as much room for projectile Pong.

I mean, are all the video-game shotguns from 1994 and onwards just rip-offs of Doom (with the wimpy Doom 3 shotgun as an ironic exception), and are all sniper rifles just rip-offs of the highly satisfying Unreal implementation, or are they just part of the established FPS vernacular? Same goes for the gravity gun, now that it has been proven to be a fun gameplay tool. If anything, more games could use a gravity gun, imo, and the only (minor) question is how to justify its existence in the game world.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I played Pirate Doom last week after reading about on RPS. Is it sacrilege to have enjoyed it so much more than vanilla Doom 2?

Jblade posted:

If you're looking to play some new Duke3D stuff, check out the newly released DukeHard episode made by the community (including me) It's set in a skyscraper with 17 levels by 15 different authors; the installation instructions are fairly easy to follow but you'll need Eduke32 to run it. It's pretty fantastic and the majority of levels are really well done.
That sounds really awesome, I'll have to give it a go.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tippis posted:

At some point, you have to ask when something stops being a rip-off and just becomes a part of the convention. A well-executed copy of an great mechanic should perhaps rather be seen as a continuation of a excellent idea, and the RoE implementation worked perfectly with the game it was introduced to. Sure, the game didn't have HL2s physics puzzles, but on the other hand, HL2 didn't have nearly as much room for projectile Pong.

I mean, are all the video-game shotguns from 1994 and onwards just rip-offs of Doom (with the wimpy Doom 3 shotgun as an ironic exception), and are all sniper rifles just rip-offs of the highly satisfying Unreal implementation, or are they just part of the established FPS vernacular? Same goes for the gravity gun, now that it has been proven to be a fun gameplay tool. If anything, more games could use a gravity gun, imo, and the only (minor) question is how to justify its existence in the game world.

I think it's sort of unusual to compare things like shotguns and sniper rifles, which are pretty normal weapons that already exist in reality, to a very unique and purpose-built utility like the Gravity Gun, around which half of HL2 was built. If every FPS since 1994 had a BFG analogue, though...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got Quake III Arena from the Steam sale, are there any good mods and do people still play it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

RyokoTK posted:

I think it's sort of unusual to compare things like shotguns and sniper rifles, which are pretty normal weapons that already exist in reality, to a very unique and purpose-built utility like the Gravity Gun, around which half of HL2 was built. If every FPS since 1994 had a BFG analogue, though...

Sure, they might not be quite on the same scale, but still. It was just a long-winded way of asking exactly when something shifts from “rip-off” to “homage” to “convention.”

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Probably when it stops feeling so forced. To me, gravity gun mechanics feel kinda unnatural in games that aren't heavily puzzle-dependent (like HL2 kinda was). It feels like using status effects in an RPG: why take two steps to kill an enemy (pick up item, throw item) when I could do it in one (just shoot them with a normal gun)? So games with gravity guns have to kinda contrive situations to make the player use them, and that's where it feels forced to me. So a game like Doom ROE or Timesplitters 3, that are all about shooting mans, has no real need for a gravity gun and it just feels unnatural.

eta: I guess a game like Bioshock did it pretty well, making Telekinesis a plasmid that you were never really required to use. It's powerful and cool, but after the one bit where you're forced to use it in Medical Pavilion, the game never calls attention to it again. It was just one tool in a wide arsenal of overall useless plasmids. (Actually Telekinesis is really really strong but whatever.)

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 26, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A Matrix-esque first-person shooter where you don't get a gun, but instead have to rely entirely on catching and reflecting enemy fire, might be interesting.

I imagine it's been done somewhere before, although nothing immediately jumps to mind...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Heads up that Summer Games Done Quick will be doing a speed run of Doom 64 in about 15 mins. Also there's a Heretic run for tomorrow I believe.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Heads up that Summer Games Done Quick will be doing a speed run of Doom 64 in about 15 mins. Also there's a Heretic run for tomorrow I believe.

I also highly recommened catching the 100% Quake run by CubeFace. I've watched him practice it and it is insane.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zeether posted:

I got Quake III Arena from the Steam sale, are there any good mods and do people still play it?

CPMA (Challenge ProMode Arena) is pretty much the gold standard tournament mod. If there's a Q3 tournament or competition going on, odds are they'll be using CPMA.

OSP is kinda like CPMA, but not quite. Also very popular for tournament play.

Rocket Arena 3 is another awesome mod. It turns deathmatch on its head by having you start with literally everything, but removing all pickups.

Generations Arena lets you play as the protagonists from the previous id Software games, so you can deathmatch as Doomguy against Q1 Rangers and Q2 Marines and so on.

Threewave CTF is pretty much the standard CTF mod.

I used to play a mod where you couldn't damage anyone directly, only knock them around. The objective was to knock people off the map and kill them that way. Because there was no direct damage, you could rocket jump everywhere all the time, it was extremely chaotic. I think it was Q3KnockOut, but I'm not 100% sure.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

This is pretty great, but the movie theater level is really, really awful. (My apologies if that's the map you made!)
I made the CEO bathhouse level :) (level 6 I think?) I struggled a bit with the movie theater level as well to be fair.

If there's any problems or issues you guys have, let me know and I can pass it on to the other mappers in the episode since at least one patch is planned.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Is there a mod or launcher for Quake 3 that replaces the god awful menu system it has? I'm sure it was slick when it came out but dear god has the frontend aged poorly.

(Of course, if I'm complaining about something as trivial as the menu system, the game itself clearly has)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

RyokoTK posted:

Probably when it stops feeling so forced. To me, gravity gun mechanics feel kinda unnatural in games that aren't heavily puzzle-dependent (like HL2 kinda was). It feels like using status effects in an RPG: why take two steps to kill an enemy (pick up item, throw item) when I could do it in one (just shoot them with a normal gun)? So games with gravity guns have to kinda contrive situations to make the player use them, and that's where it feels forced to me. So a game like Doom ROE or Timesplitters 3, that are all about shooting mans, has no real need for a gravity gun and it just feels unnatural.

eta: I guess a game like Bioshock did it pretty well, making Telekinesis a plasmid that you were never really required to use. It's powerful and cool, but after the one bit where you're forced to use it in Medical Pavilion, the game never calls attention to it again. It was just one tool in a wide arsenal of overall useless plasmids. (Actually Telekinesis is really really strong but whatever.)

It's not an FPS, but the Dead Space games use telekinesis really well. It's overpowered as gently caress in 2, but it's nicely balanced in 3. You can rip spikes off enemies and throw them at others, throw exploding things, rip supporting beams off furniture, etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keiya posted:

Is there a mod or launcher for Quake 3 that replaces the god awful menu system it has? I'm sure it was slick when it came out but dear god has the frontend aged poorly.

(Of course, if I'm complaining about something as trivial as the menu system, the game itself clearly has)

Uh, I think I remember launching it with quakeworld or gamespy back in the day, booting right into the blue console and loading multiplayer. But that was a loooong time ago, so I could be imagining things. And thing is gamespy's dead now, so... I've got nothing.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Keiya posted:

Nothing amazing that I know of.

I remember an "Advanced UI mod" that fiddled with a few things, but I don't know if there's a release of it that works with the current Q3 version.

The CPMA UI is a bit better than vanilla. ( http://playmorepromode.org/ )

Or if you'd like just a bit of improvement for the skirmish maps menu, this little mod of mine works with the current Q3 version: http://neogeographica.com/site/pages/mods/moremaps.html

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Is there a mod that allows you to filter out servers running bots on Quake 3? It seems like nearly every drat server I get on, the numbers are artificially pumped up with bots.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Does anyone actually play Quake 3 still? I would have assumed the community moved on to Quake Live.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'd expect everyone who does is playing CPMA or similar mods.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JackMackerel posted:

Is there a mod that allows you to filter out servers running bots on Quake 3? It seems like nearly every drat server I get on, the numbers are artificially pumped up with bots.

They're not artificially pumping up the numbers, most of the server owners and players enuinely enjoy having full-map matches even when most of the time it'll be against bots.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Where's a place that I can get the Threewave stuff? (Quake 3) The things I find on Google either seem to be outdated or really untrustworthy, and the links in the OP are broken.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Here's one place: http://eclecticmenagerie.com/downloads/q3maps/jlctf3/threewave17.zip

There's also this, which I haven't used but might be nice for Team Arena owners: http://lvlworld.com/review/id:2233

==========

Edit: another place to get 3wave 1.7 that doesn't rely on my hosting is GameFront ( http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/Quake_3_Arena/Modifications/threewavectf ). You can get the full 1.6 release and then the 1.7 patch. The 1.6 release available there is an executable installer tho.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 29, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So has there been any new word on the second installment of the Back To Saturn X series? I remember some picture circulating a while back that appeared to be a change in scenery (castles, I think?). EsselFortium? Do you think you can just dally around and there won't be repercussions?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Castles would be amusing because I would probably use Project MSX with BtSX 2. They just go together. :black101:

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So has there been any new word on the second installment of the Back To Saturn X series? I remember some picture circulating a while back that appeared to be a change in scenery (castles, I think?). EsselFortium? Do you think you can just dally around and there won't be repercussions?

dobu gabu maru broke the news in the Doomworld Megawad Club thread here, from what I understand the street date is basically the end of august if everything comes together

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Trying to refresh some late '90s memories, I've found a copy of Turok (the 1997 one) on an auction site. Decided to grab the magazine coverdisks from the time to check the demo out, and boy this game dated so much. The textures and models are plain horrible, everything looks like it's glitching out (except the animals, which look quite nice for the time). I remember reading incredibly hyped reviews at the time, noting that Turok is the new standard and an absolute state of art of FPP games. Welp, Q2 came very soon after PC release of The Dinosaur Hunter, and sure enough no one gave a crap later about the series, except maybe the sequel which was kinda better than the original.

And yet, I bought that copy of the net. I'm irredeemable.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
To be fair, it's way more famous on the N64 for being the other decent FPS.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I don't know why but playing Turok on the PC always gave me ridiculous vertigo. I never experienced that before with any other FPS.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

laserghost posted:

Trying to refresh some late '90s memories, I've found a copy of Turok (the 1997 one) on an auction site. Decided to grab the magazine coverdisks from the time to check the demo out, and boy this game dated so much. The textures and models are plain horrible, everything looks like it's glitching out (except the animals, which look quite nice for the time). I remember reading incredibly hyped reviews at the time, noting that Turok is the new standard and an absolute state of art of FPP games. Welp, Q2 came very soon after PC release of The Dinosaur Hunter, and sure enough no one gave a crap later about the series, except maybe the sequel which was kinda better than the original.

Kinda better? Turok 2 was pretty loving good. I mean, maybe it doesn't stand the test of time the same way Doom does, but it was absolutely A Good Game.

eta: BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Turok 2 was the one with the.. uh, cerebral bore? Right?

Also chalk me up as another "I played it on the N64 alongside Goldeneye and loved them both." fan. :haw:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

laserghost posted:

And yet, I bought that copy of the net. I'm irredeemable.

Yo the problem is that you're playing the PC port of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter which is pretty much unanimously considered total garbage compared to the still-awesome-and-will-always-be-awesome N64 version hth

EDIT: Hey the Doom64 EX guy wrote an update on his Turok engine that I somehow missed last month! The screenshots look incredibly sexy, but I really wish he'd focus on getting it functional before fiddling with the fancy graphical enhancements.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 1, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
All I remember of Turok on N64 was that none of the control styles were fun to use.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Thyrork posted:

Turok 2 was the one with the.. uh, cerebral bore? Right?

Yes it was, AKA one of the best video game weapons ever made. Also the levels were really really cool and I liked how you found talismans and cool weapons to progress further into the earlier levels. It was a great game that was really held back by the N64 hardware.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Turok 2 had the cerebral bore, yes. Wonderfully horrible weapon. Also, disagree with the level design, it was confusing as all hell with those teleports and switches doing whatever somewhere else in the stage.

About the N64 version, I remember playing some Turok game on this system, but it was some kind of arena deathmatch thing? With small levels and bunch of enemies spawning in? Checking Wikipedia, apparently it's Rage Wars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turok:_Rage_Wars anyone played that?

Still, the PC version of Turok was instrumental to introduce PC gamers to Voodoo graphics accelarators, along GLQuake, Incoming, G-Police and some more PSX/N64 ports. By the mid-98 everything was going full hardware 3D, and at least for me, Turok was the sad symbol of changing times, when my powerful Pentium 133mhz just couldn't run it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nintendo Kid posted:

All I remember of Turok on N64 was that none of the control styles were fun to use.

I can understand the sentiment, but the console only had a single analog stick. Given the choice between analog aiming and analog movement in a FPS game with modest auto-aim and heavy platforming, I'll always pick the former. Rare made a more comfortable control scheme that worked fine for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but I have a feeling the exact same control style would be frustrating to use if the games played more like Turok 1 and 2.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 1, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

laserghost posted:

Turok 2 had the cerebral bore, yes. Wonderfully horrible weapon.

About the N64 version, I remember playing some Turok game on this system, but it was some kind of arena deathmatch thing? With small levels and bunch of enemies spawning in? Checking Wikipedia, apparently it's Rage Wars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turok:_Rage_Wars anyone played that?

Still, the PC version of Turok was instrumental to introduce PC gamers to Voodoo graphics accelarators, along GLQuake, Incoming, G-Police and some more PSX/N64 ports. By the mid-98 everything was going full hardware 3D, and at least for me, Turok was the sad symbol of changing times, when my powerful Pentium 133mhz just couldn't run it.

I played Rage Wars, and Turok 3, both because as a teenager I really liked Turok 2. Turok 3 wasn't bad but it was nowhere near as charming or cool as Turok 2. Rage Wars was terrible and retarded, it was definitely a lousy Unreal Tournament knockoff.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

And what about (I know we're leaving the "early" part of FPS history now) Turok: Evolution? Remember seeing it in the magazines (one even had the review of PC version, which was never commercially released where I live). Oh, and the horrible reboot, of which I got the boxed copy for free some months after the release, played exactly once and gave to my friend.

That TurokEX thing looks great, but will it be only for the console version? No chance for modern patch for the PC one? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

I can understand the sentiment, but the console only had a single analog stick. Given the choice between analog aiming and analog movement in a FPS game with modest auto-aim and heavy platforming, I'll always pick the former. Rare made a more comfortable control scheme that worked fine for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but I have a feeling the exact same control style would be frustrating to use if the games played more like Turok 1 and 2.

It only had one analog stick, it still doesn't excuse it lacking any control styles as nice as in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.