Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

For those of you that own Voyager Hound, how in the world do you fold his head away in vehicle mode? I keep stuffing it up there, and it keeps falling out.

I don't have him but I remember someone asking the same in the feedback thread. Apparently you have to further push the head when you feel it has stopped (a tab, I guess?) and it snaps in place.

VVV edit: uh, or better just do what the doctor says VVV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Have you experienced any of the reported QC issues?

For those of you that own Voyager Hound, how in the world do you fold his head away in vehicle mode? I keep stuffing it up there, and it keeps falling out.

Okay, this is gonna be tricky to explain.

So Hound's head-and-neck panel is on two hinges, the "Grill Hinge" and the "Plate Hinge". From the robot-mode orientation, spin the "Grill Hinge" around to be flush with the front of the truck mode, while bending the "plate hinge" such that, during the rotation of the "grill hinge", there is a v-bend between [the silver bars to either side of the grill] and the neck-plate itself. Then, once the grill is lined up, fold the neck plate up into the cavity.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

DoctorWhat posted:

Okay, this is gonna be tricky to explain.

So Hound's head-and-neck panel is on two hinges, the "Grill Hinge" and the "Plate Hinge". From the robot-mode orientation, spin the "Grill Hinge" around to be flush with the front of the truck mode, while bending the "plate hinge" such that, during the rotation of the "grill hinge", there is a v-bend between [the silver bars to either side of the grill] and the neck-plate itself. Then, once the grill is lined up, fold the neck plate up into the cavity.

I am 100% certain that is helpful advice, now I just need to have the toy in front of me to understand a lick of it.

I made this offer in the TFW2005 feedback thread but of course you guys get priority-- if anyone broke their Hound knife (or poo poo, wants a second one), I think it's dumb as hell and will give it away to anyone via a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This is equal parts awesome, cringeworthy and hilariously baffling. (turn down your volume)

This one is from that dude that did that fantastic Hercules stop motion, but with Giant this time

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 1, 2014

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Mine fits in really snugly and actually needs to be fussed with pretty hard to get it back out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

This is equal parts awesome, cringeworthy and hilariously baffling. (turn down your volume)

This one is from that dude that did that fantastic Hercules stop motion, but with Giant this time

That reminds me for some reason, I was rewatching the Beast Hunters finale movie on Netflix last night, and man oh man, why didn't they call Megacron "Galvatron"? Like, he was Very Much Galvatron, right to the point where the music repeatedly quoted that bit of music from the 86 movie when Megatron was transformed.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Keldroc posted:

I agree except for the first and the last line. If you think any of this is satirical and not just inept writing and storytelling, you're completely out of your loving mind. Everything you say is the worst kind of baseless masturbation disguised as film criticism. I stopped reading CineD so I wouldn't have to read drivel like this, and it sucks that it's infected this thread now.

Gammatron 64 posted:

CineD is a cesspool that's become drat near unreadable because of this poo poo. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, guys. Just ignore SMG and maybe he'll give up and crawl back into his hole.

Oh no someone with more than the shallowest possible surface level analysis is here to discuss transformers fiction, better shoo him away so we can return to our talking 'bout toys and toy-related properties echo chamber!!!

gently caress's sake, this kind of holier-than-thou anti-intellectualism is far more toxic to a discussion forum than SMG's word walls ever will be. I'm repeating myself, but if you're this seriously against any attempt at a deeper read of your most cherished merchandising vehicle, then James Roberts really is a better writer than we deserve. Otherwise, if all you want is a place to zero-content gush about how cool the toys from your childhood are and what a mean person Michael Bay is for ruining your cherished dreams from a bygone era, TFW2005 isn't going away anytime soon.

THAT SAID:

I am really digging how good Roadbuster looks without any decals applied, he'll make a good companion "sorta-Calibur" to Whirl's "sorta-Gazzette."

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

3 posted:

Oh no someone with more than the shallowest possible surface level analysis is here to discuss transformers fiction, better shoo him away so we can return to our talking 'bout toys and toy-related properties echo chamber!!!

gently caress's sake, this kind of holier-than-thou anti-intellectualism is far more toxic to a discussion forum than SMG's word walls ever will be. I'm repeating myself, but if you're this seriously against any attempt at a deeper read of your most cherished merchandising vehicle, then James Roberts really is a better writer than we deserve. Otherwise, if all you want is a place to zero-content gush about how cool the toys from your childhood are and what a mean person Michael Bay is for ruining your cherished dreams from a bygone era, TFW2005 isn't going away anytime soon.

Apparently you've missed the spirited debates we've had regarding gender politics re: the IDW series. Or the disturbing politics of the All Hail Megatron Era. This isn't a shallow thread, and it's definitely not dumb enough to keep feeding http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/ The Poster.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

I am 100% certain that is helpful advice, now I just need to have the toy in front of me to understand a lick of it.

I made this offer in the TFW2005 feedback thread but of course you guys get priority-- if anyone broke their Hound knife (or poo poo, wants a second one), I think it's dumb as hell and will give it away to anyone via a self-addressed stamped envelope.

To simplify things: Put the "neck plate's" tip into the hole where the plate will go at a 90 degree angle, then just push it straight into the hole. That should cause the grey grill piece to fold past the little bump it needs to go past and let the head fold up into the hole. The grey grill should sit at a 45 degree angle to the front of the truck, pointing at the ground, and once you get past the bump, the neck plate should just start to tilt into where it needs to go.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nemesis Prime's/Scourge's bio for his upcoming legends figure is about him beating the living poo poo out of everything and how much he wants to punish people in the name of justice.

He's essentially movie Prime. It's weird that every RID figure in Generations is some sort of double/triple homage. Scourge, the five parts of Ruination, Jhiaxus.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 1, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Apparently you've missed the spirited debates we've had regarding gender politics re: the IDW series. Or the disturbing politics of the All Hail Megatron Era. This isn't a shallow thread, and it's definitely not dumb enough to keep feeding http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/ The Poster.

My algorithms are far more advanced than that. I can pass any Turing Test.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My algorithms are far more advanced than that. I can pass any Turing Test.

How high can you get on Mario teaches Typing?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Taint Reaper posted:

How high can you get on Mario teaches Typing?

I'm an advanced chatbot, so I don't need to type.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

3 posted:

Hey how about you don't just completely skip over my post because it doesn't support your argument eh? SMG makes sometimes-interesting posts but he also has the effect of turning some threads he posts in into giant messes that largely drown out any other discussion, and there is a Transformers thread in CineD specifically for the movies. He's the reason there's at least 150 solid pages of fascism chat in the Pacific Rim thread. I don't want him to do that to the Transformers general discussion thread and instead requested he take it to the CineD thread specifically for the films.

Not an unreasonable request, right?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

3 posted:

Piss off. There's zero anti-intellectualism going on here the entire problem is that this sort of reading is intellectually bankrupt; you can make ANYTHING secretly about class conflict and the person working on a thing secretly laughing at the audience but these arguments don't hold up to scrutiny. But it doesn't matter because the only engagement in discussion is to switch topics and move goalposts when cornered, there's no discourse to be had with that sort of behaviour. THAT is bad for discussion.

Also you name dropped the thread title not once but twice to try and sound superior, well done!

Nobody was even gushing before this started, reactions varied between the film being alright if too long and talking about a father figure character conceived to entertain kids 30 years ago being interpreted as a violent psychopath.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah no I just saw a red white and blue robot punch a dinosaur in the face while yelling "WE'RE GIVING YOU FREEDOM!", Bay is certainly having a laugh at somebody with these movies.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Saying, "But you can make ANYTHING about [blank]" is the other side of, "No, it ONLY MEANS [blank] and I can't possibly see how anyone could say otherwise!" of the coin of anti-intellectualism. Let's not pretend that the entirety of literary theory and holding different lenses of thought to pieces of art is something humanity doesn't care about.

Like if you honestly don't feel his theories can hold up to scrutiny, put your money where your mouth is. I've yet to see anybody whose solidly against the notion of SMG speaking give an honest shot at a counter-analysis. My suspicion is that the reason for it is that it's rather difficult to analyze something critically and also give it no value at the same time.

If you don't want to talk about a thing, the burden is on you not to talk about it, not on the other guy to shut up. Everyone is the same volume in a message board (until gross pictures are being posted, I guess?)

Scoria is so loving huge. He's like kitten-sized in beast-mode.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 1, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Speaking personally I hosed up and got an English lit degree so I'm bored to loving tears with verbose analysis. SMG made some really great salient points about these movies a ways back, but each nitpicky "this is intentional! wake up sheeple!" has diminishing returns that doesn't add anything further to his overall thesis. I could write a 25-page analysis of how Arcee's character in the 1986 movie is based on Princess Leia, who's based on the Princess from Hidden Fortress, citing lines, scenes, aesthetics, body language, etc. But instead I will just say "Arcee's character in the 1986 movie is based on Princess Leia, who's based on the Princess from Hidden Fortress" because I am not a pretentious windbag, and I respect everyone else's time enough that I don't expect them to read text diarrhea.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Captain Magic posted:

Like if you honestly don't feel his theories can hold up to scrutiny, put your money where your mouth is. I've yet to see anybody whose solidly against the notion of SMG speaking give an honest shot at a counter-analysis. My suspicion is that the reason for it is that it's rather difficult to analyze something critically and also give it no value at the same time.

That's what I argued in the CineD Transformers analysis thread (started by the same poster who made this one, by the way, and not SMG): People like to treat the satire reading of the films as automatically subordinate to some supposed default interpretation, but they never support that default or even say what exactly it is. At least Terry and everyone else who contributed to that take tried to actually analyze the films, not just tired memes about Michael Bay.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Artum posted:

Piss off. There's zero anti-intellectualism going on here the entire problem is that this sort of reading is intellectually bankrupt; you can make ANYTHING secretly about class conflict and the person working on a thing secretly laughing at the audience but these arguments don't hold up to scrutiny. But it doesn't matter because the only engagement in discussion is to switch topics and move goalposts when cornered, there's no discourse to be had with that sort of behaviour. THAT is bad for discussion.

The corporation building autobot military drones for the CIA 'secretly' represents a corporation building autobot military drones for the CIA.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
^^^get this pomo garbage out of the robot thread :argh:

Artum posted:

Yeah, sorry but automatically shutting down an opposing viewpoint as ~*pretentious*~ because it disagrees with your supposed default reading is the definition of anti-intellectualism. Critical analysis isn't a zero-sum game where one particular viewpoint has to be supported by exactly 100% of the text before being seen as valid, and trying to disengage by stamping your feet and yelling at the bad evil postmodernist to go away is the opposite of healthy discourse.

quote:

Also you name dropped the thread title not once but twice to try and sound superior, well done!

Yeah, I literally said I was repeating myself, so I don't see how this is relevant to the topic at hand? I can do it a third time if you want: James Roberts is a better writer than we deserve.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm not even a postmodernist.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The authorial intent of that quote is that James Robert could be making more money elsewhere please stop re-interpreting my written work into pro-SMG propaganda friend!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

The authorial intent of that quote is that James Robert could be making more money elsewhere please stop re-interpreting my written work into pro-SMG propaganda friend!

Death of the author, friend :smug:
You are literally dead is what I'm saying, no room for allegory here.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SMG what's your stance on the FIBRIR/FIRRIB debate

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

I unironically want to read 10,000 words on the colors of the Decepticon Mini-Cassettes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blackheart posted:

I'm against it!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

b-b-but RUMBLE IS RED!!!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

3 posted:

I always knew posting on the internet would kill me. No choice but to escalate this poo poo.

Unrelated but I just got through explaining the movie's plot as I saw it, filling in the gaps implied but not shown by the film, to a friend. So at the end he nods his head and says "Actually yeah that does make more sense than the DOTM plot. So which character in there was Mark Wahlberg playing?"

"Oh neither, he's just an inventor that shoots budlight out of his rear end"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

b-b-but RUMBLE IS RED!!!

WHOA, that's pretty anti-intellectual of you my friend.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

WHOA, that's pretty anti-intellectual of you my friend.

IT ALLITERATES, IT WORKS OUT BETTER!

I have very strong opinions about Rumble and Frenzy. Whenever I meet someone with an interest in Transformers, I immidiately ask them their stance. My girlfriend keeps threatening to leave me over it, but I won't stop - I have conviction, dammit!

(For context, we threaten to leave each other over every little thing.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

3 posted:

Optimus Prime strikes again.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DoctorWhat posted:

b-b-but RUMBLE IS RED!!!

No joke though, I googled what this meant and the obvious conclusion is that the lack of a set color represents their basic interchangeability

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Now you're really stepping on thin ice buddy.

Also what do you think of Sentinel Prime (movie version)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No joke though, I googled what this meant and the obvious conclusion is that the lack of a set color represents their basic interchangeability

Well, yeah, most fans got over that argument literally decades ago. However, Hasbro seems to switch the names/colors around every time they make Rumble or Frenzy toys.

They are loving with us.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Quick define the difference between Frenzy and Rumble's personalities without using the words "shake" "rattle" or "roll".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Quick define the difference between Frenzy and Rumble's personalities without using the words "shake" "rattle" or "roll".

There are literally no differences except maybe in IDW. But that doesn't mean we can't argue about it for another 30 years!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blackheart posted:

Also what do you think of Sentinel Prime (movie version)

He's a really good example of the films' moral ambiguity, as he is a perfect synthesis of Optimus' and Megatron's positions.

He's not a super-great villain in himself, but he's interesting for how the others play off of him. When Megatron sees the error of his ways, he changes drastically and offers peace. Optimus, on the other hand, simply kills everybody and pretends nothing happened.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

catch22 posted:

Also got Scoria today! :dance: He's fantastic, except his shoulders are terribly loose. Getting Future where it needs to be seems like it'll involve taking his chest apart, which may be a real pain in the rear end.
You don't, just the arms. Here's some guy's guide:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/963469-fans-toys-ft-04-scoria-not-slag-311.html#post11237575

I haven't tried it myself since my Scoria's arms are acceptable, but good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
RIR. FIB.

:colbert: What of it.