Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Poopy Palpy posted:

In the TV show he used a drumstick for a wand and it was... kind of the dumbest looking thing ever? You just can't look like anything but a massive tool while waving a wand around. I kind of liked the hockey stick staff, though.

I believe at some point he mentions that Elaine's foci seem a lot more practical than his.

It's also a pretty recurring thing in the books that he gets all his toys taken away constantly. IIRC by Skin Game all he has is his (third?) staff and the pendant as far as 'poo poo to help me do magic' goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

Latest laundry book is out, I blew through it already. Pretty good, I'd say a step up from Apocalypse Codex, much tighter.

Jesus Christ that's a huge body count of characters
Butcher needs to read Stross' dinner "date" scene for hints on how a maturing, pushing 40s protagonist should interact around beautiful but dangerous women. Now granted, Bob has been married 8 years to a gorgeous redhead (occult commando) and Harry is frequently sexually frustrated (although rarely not in a relationship), but the point stands. Compare Bob in the Atrocity Archives with Bob in The Rhesus Chart and you can see how much he's grown. With Harry... less so.

The funny thing is, both Bob and Harry indulge in Male Gaze, but Bob acknowledges (and lampshades) it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How do the Laundry Files books improve, by the way? I got to the second book and I hated the stupid James Bond/Bond Girl plot so much that it kinda put me off from reading more. I really enjoyed the first one but the second was way too self-indulgent and slow-paced for me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ImpAtom posted:

How do the Laundry Files books improve, by the way? I got to the second book and I hated the stupid James Bond/Bond Girl plot so much that it kinda put me off from reading more. I really enjoyed the first one but the second was way too self-indulgent and slow-paced for me.

The second book is the only one with that particular conceit. I've found that people love it or hate it.

I've found the books to consistently improve over time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

The second book is the only one with that particular conceit. I've found that people love it or hate it.

I've found the books to consistently improve over time.

Cool, I'll give the later ones a shot then. I wasn't sure if it was a case of "if you don't like the second book, don't bother because it keeps doing stuff like that."

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Cool, I'll give the later ones a shot then. I wasn't sure if it was a case of "if you don't like the second book, don't bother because it keeps doing stuff like that."

Yeah, it took me a while to move on to the third one because I didn't really like the second. Each of the first few take cues from classic spy novels, and #2 was Bond, which didn't work so well in my opinion. But it does mean that each novel has a pretty different feel, and I liked #3 and #4 way better than #2.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm not sure Harry is capable of soul gaze anymore. A friend noticed he met peoples' eyes fairly often during Skin Game and not a single soul gaze the whole time.

A soul gaze comes from prolonged eye contact, if memory serves. In fact, I remember him stating specifically in Skin Game that he broke off eye contact with someone scary because it would've been a real inopportune time for a soul gaze. Can't remember who, though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ImpAtom posted:

It does kind of do that (depending on what you mean by "stuff like that"), just in different ways. The Apocalypse Codex literally has 60s newspaper cartoon spy Modesty Blaise (albeit renamed) as the secondary protagonist. The narrative geas of the Jennifer Morgue felt much more Terry Pratchett than Ian Fleming to me personally though, and later books do not descend into wackiness in the same way, so if it was specifically the James Bond thing you didn't like, as opposed to the idea of the story being a pastiche, you might like the later books more. All the books keep their pretty cringey 90s style Bastard Operator From Hell humor as a common element.

I haven't read the Rhesus Chart and The Jennifer Morgue was what sold me on the series after feeling The Atrocity Archive was kind of meh, though, so I couldn't give more advice than that.

My favourite Charles Stross novel was definitely Halting State. I remember thinking back when I read it that the bemused but determined police officer protagonist scratched the itch I had for something like a Murphy short story in the Dresdenverse (that said the similarities basically end at "Muggle, lady, cop, spunky", so I don't want to oversell that aspect). The story revolves around cybercrime, and because it has MMORPG and VR alternative reality games as themes the book uses Second-Person Narration like the narrator is your Dungeon Master, which takes a bit of getting used to, but I really enjoyed the story and the near-future Edinburgh setting.

Edit: phone post turned Murphy to Murray, oops

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 1, 2014

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Reveilled posted:

It does kind of do that (depending on what you mean by "stuff like that"), just in different ways. The Apocalypse Codex literally has 60s newspaper cartoon spy Modesty Blaise (albeit renamed) as the secondary protagonist. The narrative geas of the Jennifer Morgue felt much more Terry Pratchett than Ian Fleming to me personally though, and later books do not descend into wackiness in the same way, so if it was specifically the James Bond thing you didn't like, as opposed to the idea of the story being a pastiche, you might like the later books more. All the books keep their pretty cringey 90s style Bastard Operator From Hell humor as a common element.

I haven't read the Rhesus Chart and The Jennifer Morgue was what sold me on the series after feeling The Atrocity Archive was kind of meh, though, so I couldn't give more advice than that.

My favourite Charles Stross novel was definitely Halting State. I remember thinking back when I read it that the bemused but determined police officer protagonist scratched the itch I had for something like a Murray short story in the Dresdenverse (that said the similarities basically end at "Muggle, lady, cop, spunky", so I don't want to oversell that aspect). The story revolves around cybercrime, and because it has MMORPG and VR alternative reality games as themes the book uses Second-Person Narration like the narrator is your Dungeon Master, which takes a bit of getting used to, but I really enjoyed the story and the near-future Edinburgh setting.

Halting State is by far my favorite Stross book, too. Do we have a Stross thread around here? It's nothing at all like the Dresden Files so there's not a ton to say in this thread, but it's amazing and I want to talk about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SolTerrasa posted:

Halting State is by far my favorite Stross book, too. Do we have a Stross thread around here? It's nothing at all like the Dresden Files so there's not a ton to say in this thread, but it's amazing and I want to talk about it.

Now would be a great time for someone to start a Stross thread since the new Laundry Files book is out, but please put all Rhesus related content in spoilers, if only because I'm like actively reading the book right now but still have to read the reports when people report things for being spoilers. Thanks!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There was a Stross thread at one point but it evaporated due to low post count. It was clearly the OP's fault for not maintaining things properly.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'll toss one up for Stross and probably similar guys like Watts and Bakker later. There is a name for their style falls under but the name escapes me now, watts mentions it in a talk

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

DangerDummy! posted:

A soul gaze comes from prolonged eye contact, if memory serves. In fact, I remember him stating specifically in Skin Game that he broke off eye contact with someone scary because it would've been a real inopportune time for a soul gaze. Can't remember who, though.

Man, I just realised that Harry and Murphy still haven't had a soulgaze yet and unless it's a short story we aren't seeing it (onscreen? onpage? onpage) in a book unless they have some really, really awkward encounters between Skin Game and Peace Talks.

Also, potential danger zone: Harry accidentally soulgazes Maggie and that's how she finds out about Susan.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Illuyankas posted:

Also, potential danger zone: Harry accidentally soulgazes Maggie and that's how she finds out about Susan.

Considering the reaction of nearly everyone else Harry's shared a soulgaze with, it's more likely Maggie would be traumatized by whatever it is people have been seeing since day one.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Illuyankas posted:

Man, I just realised that Harry and Murphy still haven't had a soulgaze yet

What? I could've sworn they did and he saw her as some shining paragon holding a flaming sword of righteousness or something. Or am I thinking of some scene from Changes?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Considering the reaction of nearly everyone else Harry's shared a soulgaze with, it's more likely Maggie would be traumatized by whatever it is people have been seeing since day one.

Harry hadn't killed Susan back then, pretty sure it'll continue to be a horrible life-altering trauma which tend to show up in soulgazes.

MrGreenShirt posted:

What? I could've sworn they did and he saw her as some shining paragon holding a flaming sword of righteousness or something. Or am I thinking of some scene from Changes?

That was what she looked like through his Sight, though with tarnished armour after Blood Rites.

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 2, 2014

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

e: whoops

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm guessing that whatever shows up in Harry's soulgaze has something to do with He-Who-Walks-Behind or other Outsiders.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

jivjov posted:

I'm guessing that whatever shows up in Harry's soulgaze has something to do with He-Who-Walks-Behind or other Outsiders.

You can add He Who Walks Before to that list too now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rereading Skin Game, there's been one direct (Deirdre at the Gate of Ice) and one indirect (Ascher at the Gate of Fire) reference to soul gazes and Harry's ability to participate in them so far.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
He thought he was going to soulgaze Murphy in the third book when she was being attacked by the nightmare but it didn't work, because she wasn't 'there'

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Dravs posted:

Just finished the Codex Alera series after running out of other books. I enjoyed it quite a lot actually, was pretty satisfying. What are peoples issues with it?

These were my exact thoughts on the series. I honestly like it more than Dresden.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone reading the new War Cry comic? It's pretty good and issue #2 just introduced a plot twist I really didn't see coming... a Shoggoth in the basement!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harry is going to soulgaze Murphy at the most insanely dramatic moment possible. It's been Gunned for way too long not to happen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Harry is going to soulgaze Murphy at the most insanely dramatic moment possible. It's been Gunned for way too long not to happen.

Naw, it'll just be mid-coitus and will completely kill the mood.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

jivjov posted:

Anyone reading the new War Cry comic? It's pretty good and issue #2 just introduced a plot twist I really didn't see coming... a Shoggoth in the basement!

Yeah but the big news is as powerful as a Shoggoth is they are just the spawn of outsiders rather than the full thing.

Does that make them scions?

Follow up, is "them" even the appropriate pronoun for an eternal maddening horror from a dimension outside our space and time?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah but the big news is as powerful as a Shoggoth is they are just the spawn of outsiders rather than the full thing.

Does that make them scions?

Follow up, is "them" even the appropriate pronoun for an eternal maddening horror from a dimension outside our space and time?

Ooh, I didn't even consider the ramifications of that data point...

On the topic of Dresden comics, how are Welcome to the Jungle and Ghoul Goblin? I have a copy of GG en route already, so a bit too late to warn me away from that one...but what are people's experiences with them? I haven't seen much comic chat in here before.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Ghoul Goblin is pretty neat, although a little depressing. Harry doesn't really win that one so much as survive it. I'm going to wait for War Cry to have an omnibus before I pick it up too, but I really really want to see more Warden stuff. How many issues of that were planned?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mistaya posted:

Ghoul Goblin is pretty neat, although a little depressing. Harry doesn't really win that one so much as survive it. I'm going to wait for War Cry to have an omnibus before I pick it up too, but I really really want to see more Warden stuff. How many issues of that were planned?

Looks like its a 5 issue series. So far its actually not been super "Warden stuff"-y. I mean, the premise is a Warden mission, Harry is leading a task force of Wardens, but once he gets to the location in question it just kinda feels like another regular Dresden story with a couple other Wardens rather than Karrin and Michael backing him up. Maybe issues 3-5 will change that a bit...

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
So far I've liked War Cry a fair bit more than Ghoul Goblin. But the Venatori were my Dresden RPG character de jeur and I've been waiting forever to actually see them do something. Now, in the interests of being a good-little-cultural-deconstructor I do feel oblidged to call out the lunacy of the "sexy professor chicks with guns and pencil skirts." On the other hand, I'm hoping it's set up for Ramirez to get totally shot down. And did Harry forget his black duster or just feel like wearing a brown one for this?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I think they changed it because black is for evil it'd blend in with the entirely-not-rubbery-enough Red Court, and it also visually distinguishes him from the other Wardens.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ZorajitZorajit posted:

And did Harry forget his black duster or just feel like wearing a brown one for this?

I haven't read any of these comics(?) but in the books his duster has always been brown hasn't it?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WarLocke posted:

I haven't read any of these comics(?) but in the books his duster has always been brown hasn't it?

No. Its been black canvass and then two seperate black leather coats gifted from Susan and Molly.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I liked the new Laundry Files. I'd say it was the best one yet. Howard is powering up at a high rate, too.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

cultureulterior posted:

I liked the new Laundry Files. I'd say it was the best one yet. Howard is powering up at a high rate, too.

It was definitely very good but goddamn was the ending a downer. Especially his moving out. That was rough.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Pendent posted:

Especially his moving out. That was rough.
Well, according to Stross's blog, the next two won't have Bob as the protagonist, but rather Mo, and Alex

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm on like chapter 18 of Storm Front. I hope it gets better, because Dresden is like a wannabe Philip Marlowe in this book. But it got me thinking of something. How come Dresden hasn't figured out that a staff is a bad idea because it's really, really cumbersome and it sticks out? I mean, why not enchant a collapsible baton as a wand? It's easy to wield, portable enough to hide, and you can easily bash someone in the face if you run out of power :goonsay:

Harry likes the staff because he can bash things loving heads in with it. I get that you could do that with a baton too, but he's a traditionalist. A lot of the stuff he fights is really horrible if it gets close to you, and a lot of his staff-fighting throughout the series involves pushing things away or having a reach advantage.

I know a lot of people kind of hate the way Harry's stuck in his ways with stuff like the staff, but (spoilers because I'm responding to a dude who's still on Storm Front) think about his upbringing - Justin was pretty oldschool to begin with, and then Ebenezar is old as gently caress and very traditional. When you think about who Harry's father-figure was during his teen years, a lot of his attitudes make a lot more sense.

e: aaaand there's a whole extra page of posts I missed.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 4, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

cultureulterior posted:

Agreed.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

cultureulterior posted:

Well, according to Stross's blog, the next two won't have Bob as the protagonist, but rather Mo, and Alex

Interesting. I guess that makes some sort of sense as Bob will likely be spending the foreseeable future learning to be Angleton, which probably involves stupid amounts of time reading through the memex. Good thing he has more spare time now :haw: :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
Anybody else read The Severed Streets?

I finished it a couple of days ago and I thought it was OK, not as good as London Falling but with some good ideas.

The reveal that everyone who ever lived in London is in Hell (or at least the Smiling Man's version of Hell, or whatever it is) was quite interesting. I hope that Cornell is planning to keep up the pace of story development - the books seem much more willing to explain and define the concepts and sides involved than Dresden did in the early books.

That said, swathes of it sucked. The Neil Gaiman stuff felt a bit name-droppy and masturbatory - although given the culture the books present, you'd expect to find Gaiman down there some place. I think I liked it better when he was first introduced by physical description, and I thought "ha, it's clearly Neil Gaiman". It felt like a nice little nod and it sort of ruined it when he got named, and then became a central secondary character. Sounds like he's going to be back in later books, too. Not sure how I feel about that.

There is no loving point at all killing off a lead character if the previous half of your book is about an object that brings people back from the dead. It just doesn't work. As soon as Quill gets slashed up, you know that a) he'll be back by the end of the book, and b) the Costain/Ross conflict is going to fizzle out.

Speaking of Ross, her whole story felt like a wasted opportunity. It's obviously going to come up again in later books, but it didn't come up enough in this one. She gave away all of her happiness and it's never really explained how that feels, nor does it seem to affect her day-to-day attitude or behaviour in any way.

I'm gonna stick with the series mainly because I like the overall premise, and Quill. That bit where his wife comments that he looks like Gene Hunt was a bit wince-inducing, too. We're all aware he's Gene-lite. Drawing attention to it like that makes it less easy to swallow.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)