Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Ah. Byers.

Here we go. Strap on in; I hope this is as satisfying as a cold bottle of sarsaparilla on a hot, hot day.

First off: yes. It was my idea. Whenever I'd talk strategy with non-Durfs, they'd be all like, well Majuju OBVIOUSLY has to go! Everybody loves him!

That was Not. Happening. Other than our own talks right after the merge, when we were a bit unsure of whether to go with Durf or nuDurf, you are the only Durf I ever had any intention of blindsiding.

I had to start thinking about it after the vote on Dhaes. You took the credit for bringing Winson back. With the bowmore vote, I had no idea whether or not Fast Luck would REALLY play that idol, but you got the scoop from myself and Ice with minutes to go before tribal, and I know you messaged Fast Luck in that time. Hindsight, 20/20, who the hell knows.

But much like the two of us got nervous about Andy hedging his bets with windshipper and Skinty, I got very, very nervous about you hedging your bets with Fast Luck, Winson, and maybe even Ice. On top of that, as per my answer to Majuju, I knew that you'd been more proactive than I had, and that we'd made the same moves, and that you were the one and only person left remaining that I absolutely could not beat.

So, yeah. The plot of Skinty and windy against Fast Luck failed and I gave up the ghost pretty quickly on that one. I would have loved to go right back to them and work with them against you, but windy proved too openly chaotic and unreliable. I was hoping against hope that we'd be able to boot windy and that Fast Luck and Skinty would work together with me against you, because they were actually very good friends.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I had Majuju's vote against you at that point as well. It's all very complicated stuff but it looked shady as hell that Fast Luck knew about his self-sacrifice plan, and I know I sure as gently caress didn't tell him poo poo about it. Maju was pretty upset.

But, Skinty made it clear that wasn't happening, so I had to resign myself to getting you out first thing, down to Durf. Sorry, bro. I'm glad you don't seem bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dhaes's turn. Players, we need to speed this along, so now theres a 10 minute time limit for response time.

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit.
My turn then.

All three of you, along with your answers find a song on youtube and post it. Doesn't have to be your favorite. Just post a song. If your answers suck maybe this will sway my vote ~

Propaganda Machine: You backstabbed me and our alliance and then sent me "oh I'm so sorry!" e-mails. Why should I vote for you?

IcePhoenix: That cryptic bullshit, what was the point, what the hell were you thinking that would accomplish? That was stupid.

Fast Luck: Hmm. Who is your favorite stand up comic? Post a good bit from that person along with the song, if you would.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dhaes posted:

IcePhoenix: That cryptic bullshit, what was the point, what the hell were you thinking that would accomplish? That was stupid.

I wanted to seem out of the loop and/or desperate, basically. Sort of try to reassure you that your plan to vote Andy out was A-OK, I guess.

Have a song that I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yis7GzlXNM

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7aqSvggjv8
I love Destroyer and am posting this song because it's kinda fitting for the game.

So, child of the east / It's time to shrug off the beast / And take a look at what you've done / The half-breed jury agrees you're okay / But what they never seem to say / Is that it's never the defense's witness / And someone's got to fall before someone goes free

Dang, stand-up, there's a lot of funny comedians but nothing immediately comes to mind. I'm going with this one even though it's kind of dated with the subject matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ly1UTgiBXM

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hey dude.

You fall into regret #2 in my answer to Majuju. I should not have been encouraging or trying to cover my rear end after I'd made my decision on the Durf Strong end of things. That was me overplaying my hand and not giving people enough credit.

You should vote for me because, not only did I get to the end, but I chose my own path in getting here. I could have gone with you and bowmore and Fast Luck. I could have gone with windshipper and Skinty. I'm sorry that the choice I made was the more obvious and boring choice, but even making the most obvious, safest choice left me a nervous wreck who thought they were being lied to every. single. tribal.

It wasn't just decent Day 1s. My Durfs were, each and every one of them, singularly awesome. They all had fantastic strengths, and if any one of them hadn't been such a solid individual, I may well probably have flipped.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Ice Phoenix:

You stated that I over played my hand and I tried to play too many angles at once. Given what you know and what you knew about how Winson was going, what makes you say that? Why would trying to sway Winson back to my side with a final 3 proposal be playing too many angles? Especially when I acutally DID want him at final 3 with me? Why would trying to make an alliance with you and prop be playing too many angles, especially when I knew that Winson was a goner for our alliance and that we were hosed? Why is proposing to you two a final 4 agreement, or at least a short term alliance that would allow for wrecking the game, playing too many angles?

Ice, you also have now admitted that the entire thing with Skinty and I was just to break up the alliance between Fast Luck, Skinty, and myself. You said that it was just to see if we would, but... to quote you:

IcePhoenix posted:

Prove Windshipper was being serious, he'd shown he was fast to make deals if he felt it would be most advatageous to his current game and if he was lying to us then we still had the numbers, but if he voted Fast Luck then it wouldn't matter if he played the idol or not, and I'd know I could trust him. But most importantly, if Fast Luck didn't play the idol and Windshipper and Skinty had voted for him, then there was nobody in the game he would trust enough to use it on, eliminating another "mic drop."

Of course, Windshipper blew up when he thought we played him and the whole thing went in the scrap heap because it's hard to trust someone like that.

Given all that has happened in this game and all that you did, this honestly reads more like you were trying to break things up between Fast luck, Skinty, and myself rather than trying to test my loyalty or honesty or anything like that. How do you respond to that?

Prop and Ice:

You have both said now that you chose to go with durf instead of Skinty and I on account of wanting to stick with durf. Yet, at the time, you argued time and time again, that it was just because you didn't know that you could trust us. Why should any of this make me want to vote for you? I do respect that you have stuck with your alliance, I really do, but on the same token... You left us out with our dicks in the water waiting for the sharks when it came time to be loyal to what you had said to us. Again, why should I want to vote for you?

Prop:

What is the biggest move you have made in this game. Ice has provided evidence, but what have you done proactively that would make anyone think that you are worthy of being voted as sole survivor? What is the biggest thing that you have proactively done to further your own game?

Voting byers off doesn't count. That's a gimme. Anyone in your position would have wanted to do that. What is something you have done to greatly influence this game that others might not have decided to do or that will leave an impression on this game? Ice has already pointed out things that he has done, Fast Luck has already gone ahead and gone on a challenge spree as well as helping to organize the voting off of CapnAndy, but what have you done to help all of that?

Fast Luck:

You're a retard. Seriously. You have come up with some of the worst plans I have seen when it comes to planning an alliance. You still argued them as good ideas even when they had more holes punched in them than Bonnie and Clyde on their last living day. Jesus Christ.

No question for you.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Okay, fair enough. Just wanna say though, I was coming up with hundreds of ideas. A lot of them sucked, yes. I needed some quality control on them but the reason I had so many bad ideas is because I had so many ideas in general. I never stopped thinking, and the potentially bad ideas I pitched to you were also largely "fun" ones that it would've been cool to watch. But yeah, no question for me, so I'll not drag this out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
winds!

I actually think my single biggest most personal move was trying to work with you!

Here's the thing. Here's what went down. Much of it won't be news to you, some of it might, but here's what happened.

We had that chat! I went from thinking, jesus, what a troll to, oh man! Cool dude! Whoda thunkit?

I was...a bit nonplussed when I logged on to find some strategy ideas from you. I mean, on the one hand, something seemed very appealing, especially since you were willing to go after Fast Luck, not-a-Durf. That made it tasty. And THEN, we got into chat with Skinty, whose party line was Don'T Trust Prop. But then he seemed slightly swayed, and then game.

When it looked viable, I got Ice on board. With 15 minutes, we hashed out those vote possibilities, pros, cons, all of that.

We're not lying when we say we got the Durf vote off from Skinty at the very last minute. I gave him the go ahead, and he spilled. Between me and him, we were going to see how your two votes went and, if trustworthy, the HOPE was with working with you on the next vote to nix Byers.

But...you exploded. You know that. I definitely knew that. It made me really, really sad, but it's why I had to make the call not to go forward, after all. Whatever trust we'd built up in, oh, 18 hours I guess, was instantly shattered.

But you, and Skinty? That was my biggest shot at doing something utterly game-breaking, and I really tried. I'm sorry things played out the way they did.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

windshipper posted:

Ice Phoenix:

You stated that I over played my hand and I tried to play too many angles at once. Given what you know and what you knew about how Winson was going, what makes you say that? Why would trying to sway Winson back to my side with a final 3 proposal be playing too many angles? Especially when I acutally DID want him at final 3 with me? Why would trying to make an alliance with you and prop be playing too many angles, especially when I knew that Winson was a goner for our alliance and that we were hosed? Why is proposing to you two a final 4 agreement, or at least a short term alliance that would allow for wrecking the game, playing too many angles?

Ice, you also have now admitted that the entire thing with Skinty and I was just to break up the alliance between Fast Luck, Skinty, and myself. You said that it was just to see if we would, but... to quote you:

Given all that has happened in this game and all that you did, this honestly reads more like you were trying to break things up between Fast luck, Skinty, and myself rather than trying to test my loyalty or honesty or anything like that. How do you respond to that?

If your votes are for Winson (or another durf because you were playing us, remember I didn't 100% trust you) when Bowmore goes out then it's 5-3. So you don't trust us anymore but Fast Luck still is able to trust you in a "us against the world" thing. If he wins immunity and then decides to make a play, he has a 50/50 shot at guessing right. It's simply removing the chance that he will play an idol on one of you two. Sorry.

quote:

Prop and Ice:

You have both said now that you chose to go with durf instead of Skinty and I on account of wanting to stick with durf. Yet, at the time, you argued time and time again, that it was just because you didn't know that you could trust us. Why should any of this make me want to vote for you? I do respect that you have stuck with your alliance, I really do, but on the same token... You left us out with our dicks in the water waiting for the sharks when it came time to be loyal to what you had said to us. Again, why should I want to vote for you?

Your blowup after that vote without even asking me about it outside the thread was painful. I was absolutely still weighing my options until that but it can be hard to trust someone who reacts that way. I'm not saying you were wrong to be that upset, because we did play you, but when you voted for Fast Luck we were both relieved because we thought we had a new ally.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Fast Luck, you shocked the world, did the impossible and survived time and time again when the odds were stacked against you, something in all honesty I don't know that I could have done. How does it feel to be better than the best (in the thread)?

Ice, It's been a long journey since I first saw you in a google doc, and across the way my opinion of you changed a great deal from the first impression that I saw in the thread. I gotta know one thing though.

When it comes crashing down brother and it hurts inside, when you gotta take a stand and theres no place to hide. When they hurt your friends, when they hurt your pride to the point you gotta take a stand because you can't let it slide. Are you in fact a real american? Would you fight for the rights of every man?

Prop, here's where I get serious. You might think that people hate you, but they don't. Not as a person, nor as a poster. But as a player in this game I think the way you see yourself and the game you've played is so far removed from the way that other people see you that I'm going to take this moment just to try and help you understand a little where I was coming from.

The fact is simply that the game you played isn't the game you think you've played. You did amazingly well to get to the end, and it's full credit to you. Yet the truth is that you managed to go from a contender to a goat in some peoples minds progressively through the game. And it wasn't because of the things that you did to win, but the things you didn't need to do that hurt you. You didn't need to send angry messages to people who were not willing to tell you if your head was on a plinth, didn't need to keep playing Winds when you played him, didn't need to say and do some of the things you said and did.

I've laid out before what I thought of the way you played, and I don't think I need to go back over it again because you know my opinion of that. In truth I don't think that this disconect between the game you think you played and the way you played it was something that was unique to you, in a way the whole gated community aspect of the tribes acted as a breeding ground for it, and of all the tribes the Durf's experienced that the most. Yet at the same time there were Durfs who came out making positive impressions on people (Ice and Winson to name two) and others who perhaps didn't manage this as well.

But here's the thing. I don't have a bad opinion of you, certainly not as a person. Because this game isn't the way people are, and in truth the person I did get a chance to speak to was funny and genuine. And I think that the sad point is that people are going to walk away with an impression of a person who isn't you, because of the impression you left in the thread. And in truth I don't think that's entirely fair to you.

So seriously, good luck tonight. I don't think you're going to win, but if you do you deserve it for getting here regardless of what I think of your play to get where it got you. Just in future try to be more yourself and less game theory led. Because honestly I think you the person would get more votes than you the player.

So basically my question to you is this. We gonna play some mafia or what at some point?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Skinty McEdger posted:

Ice, It's been a long journey since I first saw you in a google doc, and across the way my opinion of you changed a great deal from the first impression that I saw in the thread. I gotta know one thing though.

When it comes crashing down brother and it hurts inside, when you gotta take a stand and theres no place to hide. When they hurt your friends, when they hurt your pride to the point you gotta take a stand because you can't let it slide. Are you in fact a real american? Would you fight for the rights of every man?

Well, Skinty, I feel strong about right and wrong, and I don't take trouble for very long. You see, I got something deep inside of me, and courage is the thing that keeps us free. So yes, I am a real American, I fight for the rights of every man. I am a real American, because I fight for what's right, and I fight for our lives!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh, Skinty. I do appreciate the words.

I guess I'm starting to run a game, and I GUESS I closed sign ups, but I did plan for one extra spot, and I got the 15-man random settings ready to go, so if you want to hop on that poo poo last minute and hop in the thread, choose a number from 1-15 that hasn't already been picked. That offer is for you, and you alone.

Otherwise, I guess I'm in The League against my better judgement, but it really is against my better judgement because I'm still not really enjoying myself and I guess I could become the Mafia troll who says this every loving time, but I'm really not sure that I want to play again.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Skinty McEdger posted:

Fast Luck, you shocked the world, did the impossible and survived time and time again when the odds were stacked against you, something in all honesty I don't know that I could have done. How does it feel to be better than the best (in the thread)?
Haha, man, I gotta say winning those challenges felt good, even though I wasn't the best enough to vote for myself twice. My Durf fan fiction I wrote that made Majuju think I was an arrogant rear end was inspired by your epic tribal posts.

You predicted how everything would play out a week or two ahead of time and the only thing that prevented that was this immunity run. So, umm, this is as good an opportunity as any to bring up some other immunity Tips and Tricks that I employed when the odds were stacked against me. In the early stages where I felt safe, I played the games from home if that was what was convenient. But I have a really slow connection. Once things got real, I stayed at work. I (kind of unintentionally) effectively fooled people into thinking I wasn't a threat.

Now we can get into some more fun stuff. How do you buzz in first in the knockout game? Well, put "BUZZ" on your clipboard, that's obvious. But also, you shouldn't be refreshing the thread. You should refresh the reply page. On that page you can see the most recent posts (even if they're on a new page!) and you can buzz in with one less click. And then you just consult your cheat sheet to get the answer.

*Extreme Ways begins to play after this epic reveal, then is abruptly cut off because the 'secret' is boring and not that original*

If you want to count the number of geese in a pic, you quickly copy and paste the image into paint and start putting a red slash through each as you go. You only have a minute, so the counts aren't precise, but this really helps.

If you're in a challenge where you have to post every 5 minutes, you load up a website like this: http://www.timeanddate.com/stopwatch/
And set it to beep every 2 minutes and 15 seconds. That way, even if you make an error, you can still keep posting. Get a bunch of posts ready ahead of time, review your post with a preview, and then submit. When Prop began posting only once every 4 or so minutes, I started to feel confident in that one. Winson's run in that challenge was glorious but of course a storm cut him down. Oh, I told everyone I was taking off work today because I was prepared to do the challenge for 24 hours, but I didn't really take off work. But the idea was if people thought I was in for 24 hours, they'd more easily drop out. And the idea really got into Ice's head, as he railed pretty hard against the mods for advantaging people taking off work, and then made a quick mistake.

Thanks Skinty. Congrats to the Flemish dudes in Belgium for their convincing win against the US. Okay, it got a bit dicey in the last 20 minutes, but man what a beatdown that would've been if not for Tim Howard saving like 20 good shots.

Disco Spider
Oct 31, 2012
Hey everyone,
I think that who the "best" player of this game was is not for me to decide. Truly, the annals of history will have the final say in that regard.
As such I will be making this vote based on how each of you personally dealt with me, since I was there and I remember.

Fast Luck,
I found it amusing that you took the opportunity yesterday to remind Dhaes, bowmore and myself that p. machine betrayed us. Don't know about the others, but you also betrayed me at least once, maybe twice. Strategically speaking, again I can't say for sure what happened after I left/before we merged, but from what I saw you engineered the most boneheaded move I experienced in the game.
I saw the Pagonging coming a mile away and warned you at length about it, but you still somehow thought that Durf would fall apart before they could eliminate all of us.

And yes, I know, you're still here. But that doesn't make any decision you made good strategy. I doubt having to win 3 immunity challenges in a row was how you originally drew it up.

No question as such, but feel free to respond to anything I've said here.

PM,
Oh yeah, that's right, you also betrayed me I guess. But unlike Fast Luck I actually found your betrayal completely reasonable and a decent move at the time, so I bear no more than the minimal ill will towards you for that move. That said, in what must be a break from the common opinion I actually thought that Fast Luck's social game was far superior to yours. Even after betraying me he gave me an honest, thoughtful (stupid) explanation of why he thought it was necessary. With you it was all saying the correct thing and leading me on, which I found more than a little grating after a while, since you seemed so obviously to be going through the motions to make me think I was part of the team. Again, no real question for you, but feel free to respond or not.

Actually at least answer this as a side note - how the hell did you make me seem like a player to be feared? I keep hearing that everyone thought I was dangerous and I don't understand unless you outright lied, since I had to have been the most incompetent player in this game.

IP,
I dunno, man, we barely even interacted. I don't wanna string you along, so I'll tell you that at the moment I'm leaning towards one of the devils I know than the one I don't. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that you never explicitly betrayed me unlike these two chumps, but I at least know a little something about how they played, their strengths and weaknesses, and what have you. You're just a giant, slightly malevolent question mark to me. Anything you want to say to possibly dispel that notion, go ahead, but it's an unfortunate circumstance of being the first voted out post-merge that I really don't have a feel for everybody.

So I guess none of you technically have to answer me, but I think I'm one of the few truly undecided people, so maybe you want to answer?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't recall specifics, but I might have said that because I was afraid of you. The way you treated the oldDurfs on nuDurf, in the doc and all, with a convincing-enough story that we (I?) should have known better to believe, you had us (me?) believing your story of what had happened in De, and how you might be on the outside of things.

So, then, it wasn't true, right? We know that.

I'm so loving glad I cheated on regret #2. It looks like it was far, far worse than regret #1.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Disco Spider posted:

IP,
I dunno, man, we barely even interacted. I don't wanna string you along, so I'll tell you that at the moment I'm leaning towards one of the devils I know than the one I don't. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that you never explicitly betrayed me unlike these two chumps, but I at least know a little something about how they played, their strengths and weaknesses, and what have you. You're just a giant, slightly malevolent question mark to me. Anything you want to say to possibly dispel that notion, go ahead, but it's an unfortunate circumstance of being the first voted out post-merge that I really don't have a feel for everybody.

If I were to grade my own game I think the biggest mistake I made was not reaching out to more people, even if I had no plans to ally with them, just to get to know them. But the way Dhaes responded to me when I sent him that fateful PM sort of poisoned the well, so to speak. I tried talking to him in the tribal doc and he more or less told me to gently caress off. So when we merged and the lines were drawn I didn't really feel like putting forth the effort just to have someone shove it in my face again. I should have known better, and after Bowmore called me out on it in the tribal where we asked each other questions I at least got to talk with Fast Luck about basketball and stuff for a few weeks, even if we both knew that there was no alliance to be had.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hey Disco. Definitely, I betrayed you once, when we voted out YPM instead of Byers. I wanted to vote out Byers. I was with you in that. I'm assuming Byers doesn't mind this. Well, I made every argument I could for why we should do a 2 Hurf + 2 De, but I couldn't win bowmore over, and he was needed for that move, and my best ally! Going back to the question from Byers, maybe that's the fault of my social game that bowmore didn't come over, but I'm not sure what else I could have done. So yes, I played along with you guys and then voted out YPM, but like I've said, I don't think that was the best move and if I could have helped it I would have gone with y'all. I think you're definitely the kind of person who doesn't begrudge a betrayal, so I think your vote won't be decided on that, but on other factors... Just the same, I wanna state that I didn't betray you twice. I voted with you when you got booted out and was totally on your side. I raged at Byers in thread afterwards, and not for betraying us, but just for his decision to stick with the Durfs instead of with us, and for not giving me the opportunity to allay his concerns. I sincerely had been trying to pull you back into the fold and did everything I could to accomplish that. I hope you get a chance to play this game again.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
IcePhoenix: Amazing song. I am still stung by your callow betrayal, of course, and am having trouble writing this because the tears keep shorting out my keyboard. But gather my forces I must, and I will. So I ask you this, the sting still stinging in my tenderest of hearts. Why ME and not PMachine?

Propaganda Machine: Read the above for Icey, except without the props on the song. if you want to sing the response to this that is fine and would even the score. But the sting is still real, and I realize me complaining about being thrown under the bus is ironic which is one of the reasons why this is so funny. Same question, more or less. Why me over Icy?

Also if Windshipper is reading this, their betrayal of me is such that I have considered eating at Burger King to get the taste out of my mouth, so if you are looking for a bus toss to meet your needs, this qualifies. The fire still burns man.

Fast Luck: You take this game so seriously it is sorta weird. I dunno what to make of that, and you have certainly done a good job in challenges and whatnot, and normally my question would be WHAT THE gently caress, BRO? but something else springs to mind. You seem to be taking it for granted, to the point where it is almost insulting, that your former teammates are just gonna punch the button for you to win while you crow about your masterstrokes. I guess my question is like, at the point where it would seem the most vital you not be irritating, why would you just assume that?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hey Winson. I think a lot of people took it similarly seriously: Prop, Byers, etc. But I mean, if you wanna know what the gently caress, I think I've explained I'm a big Survivor fan and this is my first game, and you only get one first chance. I'm not sure where I took for granted that my former allies would vote for me. I'm hoping I'm only irritating to you and Majuju. If I'm irritating to a lot of other people, that's a definite flaw in my game, but I hope that's not the case. When you're on death row for weeks you get kinda loosey goosey.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Winson_Paine posted:

IcePhoenix: Amazing song. I am still stung by your callow betrayal, of course, and am having trouble writing this because the tears keep shorting out my keyboard. But gather my forces I must, and I will. So I ask you this, the sting still stinging in my tenderest of hearts. Why ME and not PMachine?

I honestly just went with my gut on this one. I didn't really prefer either option but one of them just felt more right. Plus it meant I could vote you out with that awesome .gif.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Why you, and not Ice? Hmmmm.

Well first off, unlike Ice, I think we had a very as-needed touch-and-go approach to things. We were Durfs who Durfed, except for that one time when you did that thing. But I was not at all involved in bringing you back. Ice was. We did not communicate at all after the Majuju vote, And I guess I hope that silence reveals my intentions, and that they'd been that way all along. If I'd not known that I had to vote for you, I would have absolutely pinged you and tried to coordinate.

I guess I'm hoping you and Ice were talking about booting me, either in sync with Fast Luck, or otherwise forcing a tie. I really, really have to hope that happened, because if it didn't then Ice is really bad at this.

Anyway, here's why it was you:

FOR MYSELF: I drafted up my jury questions after we booted Majuju. At that point, if I was a juror, I knew who the final three were and I wrote my questions up as such. I'm honestly slightly sad I didn't get to launch them, becausee you would all have been squirming very, very uncomfortably.

But something that revealed itself when I'd written that up, and something Fast Luck tried to take credit for MASTERMINDING in his opening speech, was...

You had the best case, by far. Between you, Fast Luck, and Ice, my vote was absolutely open, but after reading the questions, it was yours to lose.

So, as I said earlier, at the end game you're booting your biggest threats. Booting Fast Luck wasn't an option, and I felt like an rear end to let you and Ice down, but between you two, Ice had done...???...and you'd actually gotten some game-changing moves under your belt.

Fast Luck: wanted you out, a while ago. He's been talking about it for weeks. He wanted you gone because you were "the goat" and he wanted "deserving people at the end.

Ice: Approached me about voting you off right around the time we nixed Maju.

So not only did I want it, the votes wanted it. Sorry, man.

I'm sorry for the acid tears. I know they hurt.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess it's my turn?

Hello friends!

Ice we are not friends but I think you are interesting and a chill guy, it would be cool to be friends with you even though I can't spell pheonix.

Prop you are amazing and probably a stunner in real life. Don't stop being you.

Fasty I like your guts and you never lied to me. I appreciate that.

For Everyone:

Task: I want you to describe yourself as a Dungeons and Dragons character, appearance and abilities and possibly a little bit of backstory in Survivor BYOB. As that character I want you to relay your tales of your greatest accomplishment! In this game as if speaking to a Tavern of rugged folk after a major victory.

Question 1. Do you think people are basically bad or basically good?

Question 2. What’s the biggest lie you’ve ever told in Survivor BYOB?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i'm giving everyone 15 minutes to respond to that amazing request

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

My D&D name is Donghammer, and I'm a barbarian. Imagine Conan the Barbarian. I have long flowing hair and big muscles. My strength score is pretty weak, my charisma is pretty middling, I'm basically a paper tiger but I just really like the concept of being a barbarian called Donghammer.

I'm gonna go with "good," not because I think people are totally epic and cool and have their poo poo together, but rather because I don't think people generally go out and try to be assholes or bad people. Also, Jeff caught that one dude in that episode of Community.

In terms of alliances, the only time I've ever lied was to Disco and YPM. In terms of random poo poo, I've lied about taking a day off work, I've lied about my reasons for wanting Winson out, and a few other things. But I'm going to say the lie we pulled on YPM and Disco was my biggest lie.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bowmore posted:

For Everyone:

Ice we are not friends but I think you are interesting and a chill guy, it would be cool to be friends with you even though I can't spell pheonix.

Task: I want you to describe yourself as a Dungeons and Dragons character, appearance and abilities and possibly a little bit of backstory in Survivor BYOB. As that character I want you to relay your tales of your greatest accomplishment! In this game as if speaking to a Tavern of rugged folk after a major victory.

My AIM has always been in my profile :)

As you sit at your table, you notice that you are not alone. An man sits unnoticed in the shadows beside you, his eyes seemingly watching everything, his face formed in concentration. You are startled, but his reassuring smile makes you stay. "Hello, friend," he says. You try to gather your words, but before you can speak, he asks "how do you feel about pancakes and waffles?" "I've always prefered pancakes" you reply, and his knowing smile as a response calms you, and you settle in. "Well then," he begins, "let me tell you a story about pancakes..."

1: I think people are basically good. We are driven to believe the opposite, I think, because the bad always gets more attention. Working retail, you may have 99 customers out of 100 compliment you on your awesome service but the only person that your boss is going to hear from is the one that didn't. But if you just pay attention, you will see that as a whole, there is a whole lot more good in this world than bad.

2: I have no idea, actually. I did my best to avoid committing to things that could haunt me if I made it to the end. The biggest one was probably to Winson, as I had fully intended to take him to the finals with either Byers or Prop, and told him so. I did not expect that it would come down to the point where that wasn't an option.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hello, bowmore! What brings you to this dusky, rural tavern?

Me, myself, I am getting CRUNK! I found these weird growths on the side of a tree the other day and they seem to have some interesting hallucinogenic properties.

Also, the beer here is good and will not get you sick.

I am a Half-Elf Ranger.

My personal story is long and tedious but it comes down to being split between two worlds, one of which does its best to accept me (oh they try), the other of which pays me some lip service but is obviously very aloof (although I must thank them for lending me some awesome genes). It's been a hard road, but I am who I am and I have to accept that and trudge forward, solitary though I may feel.

Having come from a very small village deep in the north woods, I'm most comfortable barefoot, tracking footprints and artificial shapes hidden in brush and leaves, climbing trees and prowling. I'd like to think I have a certain kinship with wildlife, but they're my food as often as they're my friends, so I don't blame them for scampering away when I'm around.

Days are long, and hard, but being so at home in the wild as I am, they're never quite a chore. I work hard to preserve myself and provide for my loved ones.

And, you know what? Sometimes selling a pelt means heating oil for the month. Tonight, it means a pitcher. Go grab a clean glass if you'd like some.

1) I think that people are people! When you say good, you mean getting delight from helping others and being altruistic. When you say bad, you mean getting delight from causing harm. Schadenfreude. My favorite German word.

I THINK that, however selfishly, MOST people get MORE joy from causing benefit than causing harm, but I think even "bad" people have nice-guy moments, and "good" people also do get a chuckle out of spite, every so often.

2) Ah poo poo. Biggest lie? That one's easy.

The biggest lie was backpedaling like HELL after the night we booted windy, when he spilled full-frontal about my intention to get rid of Byers. I know for a fact that Byers was gathering votes against me the next morning. He said so myself. But lying to him about my intentions, lying to the first most trusted ally I had, that was the biggest one.

I doubt it worked. I'm sure he would have axed me had he had the votes. Good for him. It was my mistake.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey guys! Did you miss me? I missed you.

Durfs, I'm glad to see at least two of you there. I'm sorry that FL fluked into his seat at the expense of one of us, and of course, I'm sorriest it couldn't be me.

Fast Luck, you wouldn't be here if you hadn't gone on an immunity run. Wouldn't you be an unworthy winner, having neither outwitted or outlasted your two finalists, but simply gotten lucky?

Icey, you were my total bro. I gotta say, though, that from what I saw PM played a more complete game. Fair's fair, though: Here's your chance to convince me to vote for you.

PM, sup girl. You played a hell of a game. Tell me why I should vote for you over Icey I guess?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 2, 2014

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ANDY DID YOU EVEN READ THE DOC

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
ANDY :woop:

You KNOW I miss your face. I bent the rules to say goodbye when we lost you and we didn't know it was happening. I questioned your motives at times, but you were our GLUE and it's no surprise that you were the choice when HurfDeWinson got you in their crosshairs.

I appreciate your vote, if I get it. If Skinty is to be believed, I shouldn't expect many more!

Big if, that.

Anyway you should not vote for Ice because, as you know, it was our plan as the majority alliance in Durf (you, me, Byers, and Majuju, for those who don't read between lines), to boot him FIRST.

He got seriously lucky being on a tribe that never had to face tribal, because he was one space away from that single-space submarine sinking his game. I might not have been proactive, and I may have been nervous as hell had we gone to tribal the next day, but I am 90-95% certain he was the first boot.

A vote for IcePhoenix is a vote for Franchesqua.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

John Cena posted:

ANDY DID YOU EVEN READ THE DOC
I thought that was okay! I edited it, is that better :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CapnAndy posted:

Icey, you were my total bro. I gotta say, though, that from what I saw PM played a more complete game, and I'm probably gonna vote her way. Fair's fair, though: Here's your chance to convince me to switch.

He's that line I was talking about! I tried to keep my eyes and ears to everything I could. When the merge first happened, you and I worked together to keep the votes off Skinty and Windy because we wanted to keep them as an option down the road. You of all people should probably remember the strategy talks we had. Quite simply, anything I was involved in after the merge, and a fair amount before, I had a big role in, either in the discussion of the pros and cons or in outright changing where it was heading. But I also knew that if someone had a plan that benefited me that there was no shame in just letting it happen. Always make sure there is a bigger target than you, and get rid of all of them before the end. And there was only one time that someone felt I was the biggest target, but fortunately for me everyone else thought his was bigger. That's why I'm here tonight, and that's why I feel I deserve your and everyone else's votes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hm, that's the kind of question I was expecting going into this tribal. But isn't the entire reason you're on the jury because of me and my allies, and a strategic move we made? We all played a part in that, but didn't I play a crucial role? I'm not sure how I'm less deserving than the others. What were their biggest moves? Voting out Byers, whom Skinty predicted would be voted out weeks ahead of time?

You made yourself a big target but I give credit to you for what Durf went on to accomplish. Survivor is first and foremost a game of relationships and numbers, you did great at that. I get it, and immunity primarily is just a wrench in the gears, yeah. But you need to consider with what was set up against me, the odds I was facing, perhaps what I did was the best possible anyone could have come up with.

I'm not sure when I got outwitted (I was outnumbered, but not really fooled), and I did outlast, that's why I'm here. My immunity wins certainly weren't luck. In Awful Survivor, you have a chance to strategize even when it comes to the immunities. You can outwit people in the immunities themselves. I'm honestly not trying to "crow" about what I did, but I need to make my case to the jury, and I think I did outwit people in those challenges for the reasons I gave in response to McEdger. I went back and prepared and won all of them convincingly. Another example of a "wit" move I made was when I pleaded to Prop and Byers to not gun for me if we got a challenge like this one: http://i.imgur.com/4SmMaib.png Always preparing. Always strategizing.

I see from your questions you're already voting for Prop (or failing that, Ice), but of course I had to take this opportunity to argue why I would not be an unworthy winner.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thank you Andy. PLAYERS, it's now time to make your closing arguments. After that, it will finally be time to crown a winner.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well, I don't know what else I can say at this point. I'm glad the questions you asked helped bring out some more information for me to clarify on, and I feel that my game was really strong and deserving of the win tonight. I played hard, too hard sometimes, but when you play the kind of game I did sometimes it's hard to convince people that it was you, it was you all along. Hopefully through my opening statement and my answers tonight I was able to convince all of you that I was not just a follower, but was in control of my game the whole time.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Final speech:

In regards to the move Propaganda and Ice almost made with Skinty and windshipper: I'm not sure burning someone big time as a test to see if you may be interested in working with them the next week is necessarily a good strategic way to form an alliance.

In regards to my playing my idol when I did: despite being in the crosshairs for so long, I got to the end with zero votes against me. My idol play canceled out the only votes anyone ever cast with my name on them. And, actually, I read that vote correctly. I knew there probably wouldn't be a majority of votes on me, but made the play because:
a) If I correctly play it on the person being voted for, that ties it up 4-4. Winds will jump ship, so that will be worthless. Note: I formulated this opinion before Byers ever contacted me, I just had a good read on windshipper being a real gamesman.
b) If I held the idol, they would only have to vote out one more person before they could split votes.
c) If I played the idol, I was guaranteed safe, and would revert back into more of a 'normal player.'

Look, when no one would work with me, when the Durfs were circling their wagons because I was allegedly such a threat, did I give up? No, I just played harder. I started making alliances with the jury! There was a question in a previous tribal about what we'd like to say to future jurors, and I basically used it to ask any former ally I had whom might be so inclined to start working their fellow jurors.

I started making alliances with the viewers! I actually encouraged the viewers to, if they saw one of my opponents make an error in the last challenge, duly report it to the mods. If I made an error, I said, it was up to the mods to find it. Ridiculous? Of course! That's probably something so stupid windshipper is right now thinking is further evidence of my stupidity. But I was just having fun, and thinking outside the box again there, just like I did when I offered to hand the idol over to people if they'd join my alliance.

All in all, I think if you want to vote for the person who overcame the steepest odds, it's me. I think if you want to vote for the person who made the game the most fun, it's me. I even think if you want to vote for the person who made the biggest move, it's me (because Byers and Winson are gone). If you want to vote for the person who played the hardest, please cast your ballot for me. Thanks all, it was a lot of fun

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Are we going to belabor this any more? Have any of you actually not decided, by now?

Just in case I guess I'm just going to crib from 2/3 of my Jury speech:

FAST LUCK

You got loving lucky, and you know it. Arguably by the good graces of myself and Ice, as well as the poor judgement of Byers, you evaded elimination the night Bowmore went home. By virtue of chaos, Windshipper went next. By virtue of his silver tongue, Skinty followed. And so, a lucky stupid-fast internet connection of an immunity run later, here you are.

Let's be clear: we are friends, and good ones, and I'm deeply thankful for that. But I'm not voting on friendship tonight. I played a hard game, so I'm voting for the person I think played the hardest.

So, tell me.

You sunk your strategic game when you chose to vote YPM out over Byers. You sunk it again when you and bowmore were either unwilling or unable to work with the Des at the eleventh hour. Last, but not least by far, in our talks you always wanted to take strong players to the end, because goats were "taking up" spots at this final tribal council that other, stronger players more "deserved." If there's a better strategy to lose for sure, I cannot tell you what it is.

As far as I'm concerned, if you win tonight, you're winning because of animosity against Durf. gently caress us, right?

Why the bloody gently caress should I vote for you?

ICE PHOENIX

drat, man. We almost had a good thing going there!

We were on the cusp of pulling off some epic moves. We could have blindsided Fast Luck with that idol in his pocket. We could have nixed Byers while the nixing was particularly good, before he caught Wind of it in tribal and started campaigning against me.

I've said that I played a very cautious, very paranoid game. But you? You took it to the next level. You were so cautious, and so paranoid, that you made it to the end without making a single loving move.

As well, the Hurfs/Des have often bemoaned the Cult of Durf. At moments, I can point to every single original Durf and say that we had breaking points, and we were willing to vote each other out. Except for you. You clung on tightly to that Durf specter, even though (is this news?) you were going to be the first one of us to hit the road had we lost early game immunity.

The only reason I can think of for you to win is because the other two sitting there pissed people off worse than you did with your utter lack of gameplay.

Why the bloody gently caress should I vote for you?

tl;dr

Fast Luck: had zero strategic game, an amazing interwebz connection from work, and enough time on his hands to game challenges as hard as possible.

Even he admits that was a horrible strategy. He's just milking it for all it's worth because it's what he has.

Icy: in all likelihood talked me OUT of working with winds and Skinty. We might have been leaning into an idol play, but his extra caution kept me on the Durf side and, while it kept me safe, it means that his game had zero zest, zero flavor.

:woot: VOTE PROP :woot:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thank you players.

Jurors, it is now finally time to cast your votes. Tonight, it works a little different. You're not voting somebody out, but rather you're voting for who you want to see win this game. This is the most important vote of all, and after tonight, someone will be crowned Sole Survivor.

Let's get to it.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
:munch:

The suspense...

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just remembered this was going on tonight. I have been quietly following this and it seems I have turned up at a pivotal moment... :stare:

• Locked thread