Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

You don't name your pens and dress them up as pre-pubescent anime characters.

However, both hobbies likely require silicon grease.

Edit: :bick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Oh wow. Been a while since I've visited this thread.

Funny how people take such offence to other's hobbies. I don't personally think there is anything particularly "spergy" or "fedora worthy" in this thread, but then again I've never spent more than $50 on a graphics card for a computer or purchased a brand new game console as an adult.

To each their own. Carry on.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Eh, no use harping on about it, I figure.

In other news, it turns out my job actually uses some surprisingly high quality printer paper. I mean, a fine Metro is pretty resistant to bleeding even before you factor in ink, but I need to like doodle a big blob to even get show-through on the back. Hooray!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Not directly related to fountain pens, but I thought it might be of interest to people in this thread.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
That's pretty funny - I might give that a go!

Something here that might interest the thread. I was going through a friend's personal possessions (sounds like she died, doesn't it, but she just had to leave the county in a hurry, and dumped a load of stuff on me) and I found this box of pens.

Cool, I like pens, I write a lot in my job, so what have we?

OK, what we have is a box 2/3rds full of Pilot disposable fountain pens! Pictured above with a Metropolitan to give you an idea of size.

They're… well, to be honest, they're a bit poo poo. They're disposable! But they're interesting to try out - all black ink, and all of the nibs are just a little italic, which I'm not used to. They're fun, and I'll use them up and throw them away. Which, I guess, if is the point.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh man, Kon-peki is gorgeous:

I'd had my eye on it for a while but couldn't justify yet another bottle of ink. Good thing I decided to get dinner near a fountain pen shop, had a friend running late, and have poor impulse control! :buddy:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

404notfound posted:

I'd had my eye on it for a while but couldn't justify yet another bottle of ink. Good thing I decided to get dinner near a fountain pen shop, had a friend running late, and have poor impulse control! :buddy:

That looks like a really good combo!

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

Can't go wrong with Iroshizuku. I opened up my jar of Kon-peki a couple of days ago; great color.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, first time poster, long time reader.

Looks like I got a package in the mail today...

Only one thing to do,

open this bad boy up!

Ooo, I wonder what it could be~~~?

Wow, I can't believe it got here so quickly! My very own seifuku man'nenhitsu! These things have been out of commission for years now, it's really incredible I managed to find one.

This one's named "Miku," as you can tell from the packaging. There were around 10,000 of her made before her company was shuttered, so she's kind of a big deal. :smug:

Here's just a quick writing sample, this thing is amazing. Easily some of the smoothest lines I've ever gotten out of a pen.

:siren::nws:http://i.imgur.com/iHcfmcx.jpg:nws::siren:

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

hot

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Would those sleeves fit a Pilot Metropolitan? I'm sure we'd all like to know. For a friend.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Welcome back, funny jokemen! This is a good high-effort joke. I laughed out loud.

As an official Unfunny Poster, and for the benefit of those who are unable to read the sacred runes of Glorious Nippon, a rough translation:
"This thread is an incredibly same-sex love person"
"I don't expect anyone will feel like translating this"
"My penis ... [too small to read easily] ... Pen fetish ?suck"
"Take your pens and stab someone you hate" (I think, the grammar on this one is particularly bad)
"I love wasting hundreds of dollars on pens"

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Man, Pilot's really been going down since they dropped the "Namiki" label. :(

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

We now know why :bick: exists.

Poor thing.

Edit: scored a ream of HP 32lb superduper glass paper this week, and oh boy. It's like Rhodia at less than half the cost. If you can find it on sale, it's the best stuff.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 1, 2014

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
That was a pretty good effort post.

What's your address so I can send you a Pilot Metropolitan?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Don't quote a wall of images with a one acronym reply.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
You guys. I used my Preppy eyedropper filled with 54th Mass for the first time since November. It worked perfectly without any skip on the very first stroke, which I did not expect after sitting unused for so long. So if a $20 pen is too expensive, the answer is to Get A Platinum Preppy. And if you know you really like an ink, you can get an unbranded one for free with the larger bottles of Noodler's ink.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

milpreve posted:

You guys. I used my Preppy eyedropper filled with 54th Mass for the first time since November. It worked perfectly without any skip on the very first stroke, which I did not expect after sitting unused for so long. So if a $20 pen is too expensive, the answer is to Get A Platinum Preppy. And if you know you really like an ink, you can get an unbranded one for free with the larger bottles of Noodler's ink.

Counterpoint to this: my preppy's cap cracked after only a few weeks, making it unusuable. They're fantastic little pens for $4, but don't expect one to last you as long as a Safari or a Metro.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Hey guys, I bought a Manuscript 3 nib calligraphy set for drawing purposes. This is my first time using a fountain pen. I really like the lines, but it took ages to get the ink flowing and it's still finicky as poo poo, with the flow cutting off at random intervals. Did I just get a lovely pen/bad ink, or is this how these things are supposed to work (ie. poorly). When it works, the result is really ~pretty~, especially when I tried writing in script, but "when it works" describes periods of time that usually do not last longer than 30 seconds so it's kind of aggravating to try and draw with.

e: also whenever I try to use it, it takes like 10 minutes of scratching on paper before any ink comes out which is kind of inconvenient if I just to want to loving draw something

verybad fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 1, 2014

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Like those ones you buy at Michaels or whatever? Yeah, those are kinda poo poo, but they're alright to get started on. The hosed up ink flow is probably due to the pen's feed still having dirt and machine oils trapped in it. If your set came with a converter, use that to flush some solution made of a 10:1 ratio of water to ammonia, plus a drop of dish soap through the feed a few times. If not, you could use a syringe or a booger sucker or like, the bulb off an eyedropper or something to do it. Like 90% of the time that fixes it.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

Counterpoint to this: my preppy's cap cracked after only a few weeks, making it unusuable. They're fantastic little pens for $4, but don't expect one to last you as long as a Safari or a Metro.

True. If I'm transporting the preppies, they go in a zip-top bag in my pen case. HoD and 54th are not inks I want to try washing out of anything. They are amazing for their price, but they won't last the same way a more expensive pen will.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Teach posted:

That's pretty funny - I might give that a go!

Something here that might interest the thread. I was going through a friend's personal possessions (sounds like she died, doesn't it, but she just had to leave the county in a hurry, and dumped a load of stuff on me) and I found this box of pens.

Cool, I like pens, I write a lot in my job, so what have we?

OK, what we have is a box 2/3rds full of Pilot disposable fountain pens! Pictured above with a Metropolitan to give you an idea of size.

They're… well, to be honest, they're a bit poo poo. They're disposable! But they're interesting to try out - all black ink, and all of the nibs are just a little italic, which I'm not used to. They're fun, and I'll use them up and throw them away. Which, I guess, if is the point.

Those are the same as Pilot Varsity pens, just a different color body. Pretty cool find.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Is it hard to do calligraphy if you are left handed?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

systran posted:

Is it hard to do calligraphy if you are left handed?

pull some leonardo davinci poo poo and write everything as a mirror image

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I actually think calligraphy is really cool, but I've tried to do Chinese calligraphy a few times (like with the dip pens etc.) and if I do the right stroke order it feels awful. Western calligraphy seems pretty cool too, but I don't know if being left-handed is a significant disadvantage for it or not.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

verybad posted:

Hey guys, I bought a Manuscript 3 nib calligraphy set for drawing purposes. This is my first time using a fountain pen. I really like the lines, but it took ages to get the ink flowing and it's still finicky as poo poo, with the flow cutting off at random intervals. Did I just get a lovely pen/bad ink, or is this how these things are supposed to work (ie. poorly). When it works, the result is really ~pretty~, especially when I tried writing in script, but "when it works" describes periods of time that usually do not last longer than 30 seconds so it's kind of aggravating to try and draw with.

e: also whenever I try to use it, it takes like 10 minutes of scratching on paper before any ink comes out which is kind of inconvenient if I just to want to loving draw something

Get a Pilot Parallel, they're unbelievably consistent and like 10 bux. If you're still getting jamming problems, you've got gummy ink and should get something different.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

milpreve posted:

Quoting this post because it's a good post. My ink-freebie Preppy has been a darn good daily task-doer/note-taker.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

systran posted:

I actually think calligraphy is really cool, but I've tried to do Chinese calligraphy a few times (like with the dip pens etc.) and if I do the right stroke order it feels awful. Western calligraphy seems pretty cool too, but I don't know if being left-handed is a significant disadvantage for it or not.

I do calligraphy as a hobby within the Society for Creative Anachronism. Pages 70-73 of my kingdom's scribal handbook might be useful to you. Sinister refers to the left in heraldry, hence Sinister Scribe. You can also search for videos of leftie calligraphers and see what they do.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

If you want a set of Parallels, you can get all four here for less than thirty bucks, for a few more days anyway.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Welsper fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 4, 2014

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I got a neon coral Safari and it is fabulous. It's my designated editing pen now (using Noodler's Cactus Fruit).

systran posted:

Sorry i missed this - Chinese calligraphy is 100% about brushes, pens are a very inappropriate tool. The most formal hold for a brush that i was ever taught is straight up and down, so being left handed shouldn't be as much of an impediment in Chinese calligraphy as it is in Western. The biggest trouble would be the right falling strokes, since they involve a sort of twisting/rolling motion.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

54th Mass is such a pretty color.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Fountain pen newbie here.

Looking to buy a Pilot Metropolitan as per the OP, but it's asking me if I want to add a Pilot CON-50 cartridge converter for $5.50. Is this something that I want to add?

http://www.gouletpens.com/Pilot_Metropolitan_Fountain_Pen_Black_Plain_F_p/pn91111.htm

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

The Metro comes with a converter, so out of the box you can use bottled ink. It's not a very good one though, and the CON50 has roughly the same capacity while also being transparent so you can see what your ink level is. Totally personal preference, but you don't need it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
My preference with the Metro is using a refilled ink cartridge. I got a box of them with one of my 78Gs and they're easy to rinse out and refill with a syringe. Per the video on that page, a cartridge holds as much as the squeeze converter that comes with the pen but you can actually see your ink and aren't shooting whatever filth that's inside that bladder back into your ink every time you fill it.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I bought the converter and I use it on my Metro because I like having to change inks a lot. I refill the converter in my Pilot Kaküno and Kaweco Sport.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

systran posted:

Tulip posted:

I got a neon coral Safari and it is fabulous. It's my designated editing pen now (using Noodler's Cactus Fruit).

Sorry i missed this - Chinese calligraphy is 100% about brushes, pens are a very inappropriate tool. The most formal hold for a brush that i was ever taught is straight up and down, so being left handed shouldn't be as much of an impediment in Chinese calligraphy as it is in Western. The biggest trouble would be the right falling strokes, since they involve a sort of twisting/rolling motion.

I mentioned brush pens earlier in the thread. I use a Pentel Kanji Fude to draw with. Nice, cheap ink brush that you can cap and leave for months without drying out.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

My preference with the Metro is using a refilled ink cartridge. I got a box of them with one of my 78Gs and they're easy to rinse out and refill with a syringe. Per the video on that page, a cartridge holds as much as the squeeze converter that comes with the pen but you can actually see your ink and aren't shooting whatever filth that's inside that bladder back into your ink every time you fill it.

I do this too. The Metro comes with a cartridge, so I just washed that out and refilled it. I use the eyedropper that comes with the large Noodler's Ink bottles, but a syringe is probably easier.

Maximilian
Dec 13, 2007
If you won't use your pen for some time, is it better to store it filled with water? Will this avoid the rubber parts from drying out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Maximilian posted:

If you won't use your pen for some time, is it better to store it filled with water? Will this avoid the rubber parts from drying out?

Unless there is ink residue left to form a hard crust, rubber shouldn't take damage from getting dry. Water is only really necessary for old pens using cork instead of rubber.