Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Ignoarints posted:

Hmmm I should do that. Especially when I get my second radiator for the GPU.

I'm waiting for the PPC 3000 or 2000 fans though

That's a cool computer man!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

That's a cool computer man!!

:confused: Did you register just to mildly mock ignorants?

Edit: and now I mildly mocked him with the unintentional misspelling.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I accidentally banned my account with a thread tag and I don't have access to whatever email I used to register that account 6 years ago now. Which is the same thing that happened with my first account from like 2004. :sigh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

God drat, I wish I had gone with a front mount radiator all this time. Gets fresh air, doesnt block the VRM's, doesnt' get residual heat off video cards or other components. Need to order a couple more f12's though so i can throw those sp120's back in the box.

btw, would it be safe to run 4 pwm fans off one header. They can apparently take 1a and these noctua fans are speced at .05a.

this is cool I respect it

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSllkFWVhJI&t=109s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OK so you guys have highlighted the importance of a decent case. I have a decent computes but as far as cooling and fans go.. I not so worried about overclocking (well I didn't get intel K processor so I can't) but I want cool case. For a cool mother fucker

http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?261964

I heard someone say something about how the PSU should be at the bottom? is that important? I have MATX mobo but should you get regular ATX case for extra room?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The Parts-Picking thread has some good case recommendations, but if you just want something nice and roomy look at Fractal Design and Bitfenix cases. Silverstone stuff is fine as well, and apparently Phanteks makes nice cases with really godawful names.

A mATX board will fit in an ATX case no problem if you need more drive slots or room for a later ATX board or whatever, but don't get anything bigger than a midtower case as they're close in size to old-style full tower cases nowadays.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 29, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess what I'm saying is that some of you guys have fans pointing out the bottom and other stuff. Is that only necessary for overclocking? I just wanna keep it cool. I mean I idle at 32 and hit mid 60s tops so I'm not worried.. I remember when I first installed my X2 620 years ago and it idled at 18, but that's beside the point. I just wanna be cool

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

echinopsis posted:

I mean I idle at 32 and hit mid 60s tops so I'm not worried..

I just wanna be cool
You're there. Your temps are very very good. 32C at idle is fantastic. No offense but sometimes I feel like posts from this come from people who don't have a good feel of the relationship between C and F and are used to "thinking in F." 32c is only 89f! Lots of places in the world the ambient air temperature is hotter than that for like half the year or more and people who don't have air conditioning still use computers. Mid 60s under load is also perfectly healthy and well shy of the range where you should do something about it.

If you had a cpu in the past that claimed to idle at 18c that was an inaccurate reading. 18c is 64f. So unless you were using the computer in a room that was like 55f ambient air temp, nope. Your cpu has to be at least slightly warmer than room temp. It could only go down to the same temp as room temp if it was cooled with 100% efficiency (impossible) and the idea of the cpu being cooler than room temp is of course absolute nonsense.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Col.Kiwi posted:

It could only go down to the same temp as room temp if it was cooled with 100% efficiency (impossible) and the idea of the cpu being cooler than room temp is of course absolute nonsense.
Most of this post is accurate but this isn't true if you're talking about water chillers or phase-change cooling. Those can absolutely go below ambient, although they're not efficient options at all of course. For normal air and watercooling you'll never go below room temperature which is correct.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I feel like these kind of heat spreaders do poo poo all when populating all DIMMs:

Since there's practically zero space between the DIMMs with the spreaders, I feel like the ram is better off with the spreaders removed. So should I remove them? All 4 DIMMs populated.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Shaocaholica posted:

I feel like these kind of heat spreaders do poo poo all when populating all DIMMs:

Since there's practically zero space between the DIMMs with the spreaders, I feel like the ram is better off with the spreaders removed. So should I remove them? All 4 DIMMs populated.

Unless you're seriously over-volting them for some reason, there's no chance you'll notice any difference, so just leave them on unless you really hate the way they look or something.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shaocaholica posted:

If they are factory installed you should really leave them be

If anything they will help dissipate some heat even though ddr3 doesn't really need it. There is nothing to gain from removing them unless you had some giant heatsink that doesn't fit otherwise.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well I removed them. They were the single strip of thermal tape kind. Crucial ballistix DDR2-800 on an older machine. I just felt that with them on and with all the DIMMs filled there was very little room between sticks for air to flow.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I thought DDR2 Ballistix ran at like 2.2v or something? I remember reading a lot of reports about them dying from minor overvoltage over stock. Probably worth checking them with an IR thermometer at least since they might actually run a little warm at that voltage. No ideal if the heat spreader would actually make a different though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The sticker says 2.0V but I'm running it in a Dell so I'm not sure what voltage its actually getting. Its also rated at CL4 but memtest is reporting CL5 set so maybe the voltage is different too.

Been running prime95 for the last 4 hours with bigmem on and no errors yet. DIMM 1 is not terribly hot to the touch. The northbridge is pretty hot though but I think thats normal. Its also got fresh NT-H1 as well.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 30, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Col.Kiwi posted:

No offense but sometimes I feel like posts from this come from people who don't have a good feel of the relationship between C and F and are used to "thinking in F."

Guess what country I live in, "Col.Kiwi".......

But yeah I guess I should be happy. Maybe I will just will myself to be.. :mrgw:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

If they are factory installed you should really leave them be

If anything they will help dissipate some heat even though ddr3 doesn't really need it. There is nothing to gain from removing them unless you had some giant heatsink that doesn't fit otherwise.

:gonk:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The heat spreaders for DIMMs also provide EMI shielding, improving signal-to-noise ratio and thus stable overclockability. It's not a big deal for stock speeds, but you only lose potential performance and reliability by removing heat spreaders.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Better delid method for people who dont want to use a hammer on their cpu or a razor blade

Just did all these chips in seconds.

Also, dat loving soldered chip with the bare copper. Do this again intel.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 1, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking of doing that but I was afraid the IHS might scrape off some of the surface-mount components. Vice, block of wood and hammer worked for me though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

I was thinking of doing that but I was afraid the IHS might scrape off some of the surface-mount components. Vice, block of wood and hammer worked for me though.

Shouldn't anymore than the block of wood and hammer. Its effectively doing the same thing just more controlled with vice only.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Nice, once the "seal" is cracked you can just pull it off anyways by hand for ultra safety. Problem was mine was simply now going to come off that way there was an absurd amount of glue. For what it's worth the razor blade way was actually not all that hair raising or difficult, but I didn't want to have to do it.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I bought a vice and hammer to delid my 4770K and couldn't get it to work, so ended up just using a razor (or rather, X-Acto knife). Worked fine.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Looks like I would be delidding that cpu if I did get it. Someone got 5.5 ghz on air from a quick headline bit I read (dont know the circumstances) after delidding

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

Looks like I would be delidding that cpu if I did get it. Someone got 5.5 ghz on air from a quick headline bit I read (dont know the circumstances) after delidding

Well they hit 5.5ghz at that overclocking competition. But I think they had something like 30 cpu's to work with.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don Lapre posted:

Well they hit 5.5ghz at that overclocking competition. But I think they had something like 30 cpu's to work with.

Yeah that always gets me. Intel sponsored overclocking competition to usher in their new product. First thing contestants do, delid everything.

Intel PR: Check out these 5.5Ghz CPUs!
Intel laywer: *warranty void if you delid*

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 1, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I suspect that the cpu's intel supplied, despite being "stock", would be quite hard to buy normally. having met much more stringent qc than usual.

E. Question for delidders: are the cores and whatever they are in flush, or is there space under them? was wondering how sensible using the surrounding area with a gasket as the base while liquid cooling.

Or am I still crazy.

staberind fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 1, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah that always gets me. Intel sponsored overclocking competition to usher in their new product. First thing contestants do, delid everything.

Intel PR: Check out these 5.5Ghz CPUs!
Intel laywer: *warranty void if you delid*

Not only that, I am pretty sure they pre-selected golden CPUs before handing them out, there has been exactly zero reviewers post-launch that have hit even 5GHz stable.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

staberind posted:

E. Question for delidders: are the cores and whatever they are in flush, or is there space under them? was wondering how sensible using the surrounding area with a gasket as the base while liquid cooling.

Starting with Haswell there are surface mount micro components.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Starting with Haswell there are surface mount micro components.

Ah, super, this is exactly what I wanted to see, I'll be starting with an LGA2011 (Maximus IV is the best board I have atm.), But eventually I'll try to get a Haswell.
Essentially, If I use a non-conductive liquid, even with surface mounts, it should be safe enough, my worry was mineral oil or whatever puking out underneath the cpu's pcb.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

staberind posted:

Ah, super, this is exactly what I wanted to see, I'll be starting with an LGA2011 (Maximus IV is the best board I have atm.), But eventually I'll try to get a Haswell.
Essentially, If I use a non-conductive liquid, even with surface mounts, it should be safe enough, my worry was mineral oil or whatever puking out underneath the cpu's pcb.

If you use clu put nail polish over that spot. If gelid extreme you are safe as is.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I just bought some new ram today. 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LP at 1600 Mhz. My old ram was 3x2 gb Corsair XMS 3 at 1333Mhz. Both the new and old one are at 1.5V.

The ram works great but my only problem is that the ram sits at 1066 Mhz instead of 1600 Mhz. I have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. Apparently it is an easy fix for somebody not scared shitless by the BIOS.

(page 87 in the pdf)
Link to the full manual. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1366/P6T_Deluxe_V2/E4398_P6T_Deluxe.pdf

I read the OP saying that you should enable XMP but everything seems to refer to Sandy Brige. I have an i7 920, the generation that came out before Sandy Bridge. Checking the DRAM Frequency option in there (also shown in the picture I posted) I saw an option to change it from auto to 1600 Mhz but will the voltage change to 1.5V on its own? Since when I looked around at the auto settings, it seems to default to 1.1V?

There are a million dram voltage settings. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Torabi posted:

I just bought some new ram today. 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LP at 1600 Mhz. My old ram was 3x2 gb Corsair XMS 3 at 1333Mhz. Both the new and old one are at 1.5V.

The ram works great but my only problem is that the ram sits at 1066 Mhz instead of 1600 Mhz. I have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. Apparently it is an easy fix for somebody not scared shitless by the BIOS.

(page 87 in the pdf)
Link to the full manual. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1366/P6T_Deluxe_V2/E4398_P6T_Deluxe.pdf

I read the OP saying that you should enable XMP but everything seems to refer to Sandy Brige. I have an i7 920, the generation that came out before Sandy Bridge. Checking the DRAM Frequency option in there (also shown in the picture I posted) I saw an option to change it from auto to 1600 Mhz but will the voltage change to 1.5V on its own? Since when I looked around at the auto settings, it seems to default to 1.1V?

There are a million dram voltage settings. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Set that first setting to 1600 mhz. I don't know why but I can't see your picture now that I hit reply, but you can set your voltage too if it requires that as well to actually run 1.5v. Then you want to check your timings in Windows see if it took care of that on its own with CPUz or similar

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 2, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just delidded my 4790k. Dropped 14c using gelid extreme between die and ihs and on ihs and heatsink.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

Just delidded my 4790k. Dropped 14c using gelid extreme between die and ihs and on ihs and heatsink.

4.8 @ 1.263 and now a 14 degree drop ... jealous. What can I get you to do to push that to 1.35 and get 5.0 ghz :P

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I can't do more than a few ibts at 1.4v/5ghz. I'll have to figure out other settings to adjust. Haswell is complicated.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Don Lapre posted:

Proof really that Intel wasn't serious about making the 4790K the best it could be.

To Intel: bring back the solder and stop loving around. Love, everyone.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

1gnoirents posted:

Set that first setting to 1600 mhz. I don't know why but I can't see your picture now that I hit reply, but you can set your voltage too if it requires that as well to actually run 1.5v. Then you want to check your timings in Windows see if it took care of that on its own with CPUz or similar

Ok so here is a picture of one of the ram sticks in CPU-Z, it appears to be at 1.5V already so I guess I saw something else in the BIOS. So all I need to do is bump up the frequency. Just to be 100% sure, by first setting, you mean the DRAM frequency or the one that is actually first, that AI tweaker thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Torabi posted:

Ok so here is a picture of one of the ram sticks in CPU-Z, it appears to be at 1.5V already so I guess I saw something else in the BIOS. So all I need to do is bump up the frequency. Just to be 100% sure, by first setting, you mean the DRAM frequency or the one that is actually first, that AI tweaker thing.

Sorry in the bios where it says "DRAM Frequency"

Don Lapre posted:

I can't do more than a few ibts at 1.4v/5ghz. I'll have to figure out other settings to adjust. Haswell is complicated.

Raise vrin to 2.0, cache voltage to 1.2, uncore multiplier to 36 and if its stable its one of those values you can start backing down from (or up from, as far as uncore multiplier, with turbo boost off). Or do it properly of course and raise each slowly lol

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 2, 2014