Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Four out of nine throne points is like ridiculously low, if that game didn't end with a year 1 rush I'm pretty sure it would go out in an equally lame way to the first guy who could kit out teleporting h3's.

edit: woops I had a question about Fomoria here but I think I asked it a while ago and got it answered already

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

Hey guys, my wife just got me this game for my birfday and I'm super excited about joining the game. I never played Dom 3 but I heard it was like Risk and I was pretty good when I was 10. Anyways will be joining a game as soon as its done downloading and will read the manual during my first turn.

See ya'll on the battlefield!!!!

I post this here? http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197979145759/

Khris Kruel fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 1, 2014

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Khris Kruel posted:

Hey guys, my wife just got me this game for my birfday and I'm super excited about joining the game. I never played Dom 3 but I heard it was like Risk and I was pretty good when I was 10. Anyways will be joining a game as soon as its done downloading and will read the manual during my first turn.

It's like Risk, except you can totally flip the board and light it on fire to give you an edge, and then just say "a wizard did it."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

sullat posted:

It's like Risk, except you can totally flip the board and light it on fire to give you an edge, and then just say "a wizard did it."

loving wizards.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Khris Kruel posted:

I post this here? http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197979145759/

You should also hang out in irc so you can ask questions, and also people hate it when other people in their game aren't in irc to do diplomacy

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Basically if you have a life this game is probably not for you.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Or if you live in a nonstandard time zone

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Decrepus posted:

I disagree! This game is immensely more playable than an MMO that requires you to raid for 3 hours a night, 4 nights a week. I also find it way easier to play than a game like League where you have to sit totally invested in the game for 45 minutes at a time.

You can take your turns whenever you want, and you can take as long as you want to take them. I hop up to do chores, take a phone call, lets the dogs out, whatever.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Speleothing posted:

Eh, I think we've got a big enough geographic spread that some people are in the room at any given time. Otherwise I'd be hosed with my weird-rear end nightshift schedule. I just end up mostly communicating with Euros.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Decrepus posted:

Speleothing posted:

These are both nonsense, this game is perfectly suited to playing once a day 5-30 minutes before or after work depending on how many games you're in and how far along they are.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Thus far I am very impressed with the Colossal fetish. It does indeed punish harshly and reward sparingly.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Have illwinter said if/when they're going to fix the patch having broken most/all of the mods that use custom sprites? Or even what they changed that has caused it?

e: In particular the nationgen games, all of which were broken by the patch

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The thing they changed that caused it was that the sprite 'target' now doesn't use a forward slash to start things off. All of the mods which use that path (which is all of them) are thus slightly hosed.

It's pretty much that simple.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

This thread was started in September of last year, most of the OP seems to talk about Dominions 3 rather than Dominions 4, thread discussion starts at what's different from Dominions 3 and doesn't get to "here's what a new player should do and how all the nations play" within the first few pages. There are no Dominions 4 LPs in the LP forum or lparchive.org, and I'm pretty intimidated trying to learn this game, or even figure out where to start. Any pointers?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If someone tells me the nation number for Ragha I'll add it to the GGS.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

M_Bison posted:

Thus far I am very impressed with the Colossal fetish. It does indeed punish harshly and reward sparingly.

It's a crippled maimed mute piece of poo poo and with a vine shield it still held a province against my forces. Remove vine shields, destroy vine shields, buff firemens :doom:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gilok posted:

This thread was started in September of last year, most of the OP seems to talk about Dominions 3 rather than Dominions 4, thread discussion starts at what's different from Dominions 3 and doesn't get to "here's what a new player should do and how all the nations play" within the first few pages. There are no Dominions 4 LPs in the LP forum or lparchive.org, and I'm pretty intimidated trying to learn this game, or even figure out where to start. Any pointers?

Have you read the manual already?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Gilok posted:

I can pretty conclusively say it plays exactly like Dominions 3 in 90% of ways that matter for a new player.

New players should: learn how to read a unit's stat sheet and draw conclusions from it, learn the basic pretender archetypes, begin memorizing the most effective spells for common path combinations, learn the army movement system so they aren't surprised when they discover they can't catch an army by chasing it, and dabble with unit placement and mage scripting to find ways to counter archetypical tactics and army compositions

Each of these items could be explained in a long article or summarized briefly in a long paragraph.

You might find detailed strategy information here or here, although I cannot vouch for the quality of any threads or articles on the Desura or Dom4Mods forums. Best to take each as one person's informed opinion, IMO.

Also the game has a manual that covers a lot of this material in the technical sense. If you have no idea what to do, I'd start with that.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

brainwrinkle posted:

If someone tells me the nation number for Ragha I'll add it to the GGS.
It's 80.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Please note that claiming and victory no longer come first as of the last patch. This public service announcement is courtesy of jsoh, samog and some badass Devata I guess. :v:

(jsoh is teens)

irc posted:

[00:42] <Treebot> New turn in Orly (39). Defeated: MA Shinuyama
[00:44] <Flame112> hmm
[00:44] <Flame112> shouldn't there be a lot more defeateds
[00:45] <Teens> aahahadg
[00:45] <Teens> we lost.
[00:45] <Teens> holy poo poo
[00:46] <samog> good
[00:46] *** samog changed nick to Guest254
[00:46] <Guest254> we deserved to lose. because you ruined it
[00:47] <Flame112> what happened
[00:47] <Teens> that dudes got like, devatas and poo poo
[00:47] <Teens> gently caress my luife
[00:47] <Flame112> l o fuckin' l
[00:50] <Guest254> did you learn a lesson. about gloating
[00:52] *** Guest254 changed nick to samog
[00:57] <Teens> no
[00:57] <samog> the lesson to learn is this. your a idiote

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Caelum can get mammoth in 20+PD :aaaaa:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Caelum can get mammoth in 20+PD :aaaaa:

And unlike normal elephant pd once you get above 10ish they don't get stuck in the infantry ball because Caelums poo poo will all fly away.

It's still not very good pd though.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Best PD is MA Agartha's statue PD, it's a pity they don't get the patrol bonuses on their statues though.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

quote:

<Teens> that dudes got like, devatas and poo poo
<Teens> gently caress my luife
yesss

Seriously though, that's a big change in how the turn order/victory condition resolves. I am surprised it wasn't mentioned elsewhere, and that's a rough break for jsoh/samog

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Have Some Flowers! posted:

yesss

Seriously though, that's a big change in how the turn order/victory condition resolves. I am surprised it wasn't mentioned elsewhere, and that's a rough break for jsoh/samog

It was in the changelog. It just only comes up if you're trying to snipe or ninja the thrones.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
It didn't help that the changelog worded the change really weirdly - it said "unclaiming" happens before victory; when "unclaiming" is not actually a step in the turn order (and who cares when you "unclaim" a throne if the battle step still happens after victory). Would have been a lot more clear if they just said that victory was moved to the end of the turn order or something. I'm actually grateful to see someone confirm the new functionality, though I kind of liked how it worked before.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
actually we knew and even tested to confirm how all of that worked. we just also thought somehow that some idiot harpies and like 20 centaurs +80 points of pd would win a fight vs a capital research stack for the guy with the most research in the game :|

i think that fight was actually winnable if i had gotten more than two dragonflies from the swarms i cast. a bunch of loving scorpions and poo poo showed up so they couldnt join the harpies from the pd in attacking the rear.

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event
Hey, used to play some Dominions 3 and just picked this up. Need verification on the new GGS. Here is my steam, http://steamcommunity.com/id/GCValentine

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey check your PMs, been asking you and your teammates who your Pretender is in the All Ages game! Shoot me a tell through homero/skybot on IRC with it if you can.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Iron Blizzard is bullshit

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Dom 4 Players posted:

[Spell that beats whatever I'm doing] is bullshit

gently caress VINE SHIELDS

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

illwinter please add a drought spell to the fire magic line that can cancel out rain and has adverse effects on those not heat-resistant, please

one simple addition can change so many things

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Is there anything in the mod inspector that will tell me ahead of time if an immobile pretender chasis can cast teleport or other mobility spells? I kind of assumed that, like the monument, it would be mentioned somewhere in the pretender description, but sure enough my colossal head is not cloud trapezing anywhere and is instead just staring at me... mocking....

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

amuayse posted:

No, you just didn't bring enough maenads. Always bring more maenads

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Hey check your PMs, been asking you and your teammates who your Pretender is in the All Ages game! Shoot me a tell through homero/skybot on IRC with it if you can.

I don't know.
All I know is that it's not me. Nobody is ever on IRC when I get home from work.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

No, you just didn't bring enough maenads. Always bring more maenads

Psychological warfare is wrong

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

does anyone know what the new Tainted Presence affliction does? I had it show up on an immortal who had lost his head but it's gone now and his head hasn't grown back yet. I assumed it spread horror marks but none of my units seem to be marked, including the immortal

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Please note that claiming and victory no longer come first as of the last patch. This public service announcement is courtesy of jsoh, samog and some badass Devata I guess. :v:

(jsoh is teens)

nuclearmonkee is atlantis

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

a post mortem for orly: it was bad. the map was bad. goons being stupid and bad at scouting let us sit on 7 of the required 9 throne points to win by just not claiming them. then goons being bad at patrolling and diplomacy let us take 5 more off of them and we only lost two of those 5. w9 centaurs are really strong. revellers are really strong. swarm is really strong. the strongest thing of all is having two neighbours who are planning to do insanely dumb poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

amuayse posted:

Not empty quoting

• Locked thread