Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
But Islam isn't a race :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

Sun Tzu, Art of War

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Exioce posted:

There are three categories of territory in the Islamist mind. The first is Dar al-Islam (the Land of Islam), which is the territory they control and represents all that is good and just in the world. Then there is Dar al-Harb (the Land of War), which is the territory they are presently at war with. Then there is Dar al-Kufr (the Land of Disbelief), which is they territory they will be at war with once they turned Dar al-Harb into Dar al-Islam.

There is no such thing as a peace treaty in Islam, only temporary ceasefires.

Yes please tell us more about your deep insight into Muslim culture. Perhaps you have some Pamela Geller or Robert Spencer links to share with us?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Please do not get trolled. Thank you.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I wonder who's easier to troll? D&D, GBS, or Israel?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
"Yes."

One thing I'm interested in is what's going on in Jordan these days. It's been pretty quiet, considering the chaos happening right next door. Have the Jordanians been involved in the fighting at all?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Al-Saqr posted:

Well gee. thanks!the way you interpreted a quotation on something that's pretty standard behavior during wartime and somehow stretched it into a blanket statement about the peacetime behavior of an entire religion of people of multi nationalities and interests makes it pretty clear.

I guess I should go back into my cave, after all I'm just a crazy untrustworthy medieval person, goodness me there's no telling what I'll do next! I might even make snarky comments about the wrong and probably racist opinions of someone online! CccrrrraaAAAAzy.

Sorry, I assumed you were aware that the Islam that Muhammad brought was pretty typical of religions of the time period and considered the entire world its right, through violent conquest if necessary. Incidentally, this is the Islam that IS believe in. You may have a different version of Islam to them, a nicer version for politer society, but you should know their interpretation is closer to the Islam of Muhammad than your own.

You're right though, the quotation on its own describes standard behaviour in war. However, if you read a few of the hadiths below that one on the provided link, it becomes clear that it is permissible to lie to kill those deemed undesirable even outside war.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

illrepute posted:

"Yes."

One thing I'm interested in is what's going on in Jordan these days. It's been pretty quiet, considering the chaos happening right next door. Have the Jordanians been involved in the fighting at all?

The secret police are probably getting alot of overtime but they are secret soooo...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sergg posted:

Yes please tell us more about your deep insight into Muslim culture. Perhaps you have some Pamela Geller or Robert Spencer links to share with us?

Let me tell you about taqquiya :tips fedora:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They booted out Assad's ambassador a while back, but made it clear it was because the guy was a dick personally and had nothing to do with their stance towards the regime. They've also been super strict about having the US train rebels there, which has brought up a lot of questions about where the US would even put its proposed half billion dollar training facility. They seem to be riding the line between not pissing off the regime and not pissing off the rebels. Aside from that, I'm pretty sure they host a big majority of all the refugees from Syria, but I haven't heard of any sectarian violence in the country. I'm sure Jordan is a pretty stressed nation at the moment, but who knows where they are headed in the long term if the war continues or things degrade further.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Bit of a side note, but ex French president Nicolas Sarkozy is sitting in jail awaiting questioning over an investigation into whether or not he received 50 million euros from Gaddafi as campaign contribution. You may remember Sarkozy from his joint effort with Bernard Henry Levy to be one of the loudest voices calling for intervention in Libya. Cold mother fucker.
No, see, Sarkozy is not in jail (yet) and it's not why he is in front of the cops (well, this week!). He is (currently) under suspicion of plotting with a judge and his own lawyer to spy on the many other judges who are working on the many cases investigated against him and awarding his spy/judge with a lucrative position when he was still president. He also used a lovely fake identity on a cloned cell phone to "hide" himself from a wire (but he felt in this case because of another wire from another judge working on another case against him). And the identity (Paul Bismuth) he was using with that phone was the id of an old school friend of his lawyer and the real Paul Bismuth is suing him for id theft too. But hay, it's a conspiracy from the communist judges and the left and here is a picture of Berlusconi...

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 2, 2014

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Well dang I guess we're just gonna have to fight the Muslims until they're all dead then. Well I'm sold.

*votes Republican*

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

bathroomrage posted:

I wonder who's easier to troll? D&D, GBS, or Israel?
Gotta be D&D, Amergin literally confirmed he was trolling and "took off his troll hat" to post normally for a while, and the argument he started still continued on for a while afterward. Of course, he does use arguments that are basically indistinguishable from arguments Republicans actually use; Poe's Law remains a bitch.

New Division posted:

Also, the Kurds basically just straight up said they're going to hold an independence referendum in a few months today. I think they're about done with this whole Iraq thing.
:toot: Seriously, good for them, it's about time they got an independent Kurdistan.

Serious question, how well can an independent Kurdistan function if it's surrounded by fighting/civil war? Getting independence is a good step for them, but it's a lot harder to form a functional government if your economy is semi-permanently hosed up by civil war(s) on a large part of your new border. Not to mention the collateral damage from the fighting that's guaranteed to cause problems, and of course the risk of being dragged into the civil war even if you try to avoid it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fade5 posted:

Serious question, how well can an independent Kurdistan function if it's surrounded by fighting/civil war? Getting independence is a good step for them, but it's a lot harder to form a functional government if your economy is semi-permanently hosed up by civil war(s) on a large part of your new border. Not to mention the collateral damage from the fighting that's guaranteed to cause problems, and of course the risk of being dragged into the civil war even if you try to avoid it.

Likely heavy collaboration with Turkey.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

fade5 posted:

Gotta be D&D, Amergin literally confirmed he was trolling and "took off his troll hat" to post normally for a while, and the argument he started still continued on for a while afterward. Of course, he does use arguments that are basically indistinguishable from arguments Republicans actually use; Poe's Law remains a bitch.

:toot: Seriously, good for them, it's about time they got an independent Kurdistan.

Kurdistan itself is relatively stable (all the Western journalists like going there instead of Baghdad these days, it seems). Turkey and the Iraqi Kurds have also been collaborating on pipelines and oil, so Turkey would probably back the Iraqi Kurds up. It wouldn't have seemed likely a decade ago, but Turkey's managed to develop a very mutually beneficial relationship with the Iraqi Kurds. Turkey's even called for respecting the independence of Iraqi Kurdistan if it breaks away in the last few weeks, though they temper that a bit whenever the US starts hyperventilating about the necessity of a unified Iraq.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does Turkey have a national oil company?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

euphronius posted:

Does Turkey have a national oil company?

Oh god, I tried googling this and got a lot of results about oil wrestling. Anyways, the answer is yes.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

fade5 posted:

It'll probably function about as well as it does now. They already have a functional government, the only thing that will change is that they don't have to listen to Baghdad anymore (not that they even do now really).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Almost everyone wins from a weak and divided Iraq so it's hard to not see it happening. In my opinion this was always the USs goal anyway. Well one of its goals, I suppose a central Iraq gov strong enough to enforce private oil rights would be ok too. But multinationals can also sign deals with Kurdistan and Southern Iraq. Probably not so much with the Caliphate.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sergg posted:

Mohammedans never make peace treaties.

Not like those Christian kingdoms with peace treaties with Islamic kingd- wait a second...

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Likely heavy collaboration with Turkey.

Vernii posted:

It'll probably function about as well as it does now. They already have a functional government, the only thing that will change is that they don't have to listen to Baghdad anymore (not that they even do now really).
Huh, interesting, thanks to everyone for the info. And goddamn, imagine telling someone back in 80's "By 2014, Turkey's going to be supporting an independent Kurdistan". They'd look at you like you were completely insane. It's amazing what 30 years will do.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Xandu posted:

Oh god, I tried googling this and got a lot of results about oil wrestling. Anyways, the answer is yes.

Nice personalized results.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

fade5 posted:

Huh, interesting, thanks to everyone for the info. And goddamn, imagine telling someone back in 80's "By 2014, Turkey's going to be supporting an independent Kurdistan". They'd look at you like you were completely insane. It's amazing what 30 years will do.

I think a large part of it is that Turkey can see that of the factions fighting in Syria and Iraq, there really isn't anyone they're too thrilled to see win. The FSA is unlikely to win in Syria, Assad probably won't be too thrilled by Turkish support for FSA, IS is, well, IS, and Maliki is more likely going to end up best buds with Iran and Russia than Turkey and the USA. Kurdistan on the other hand? Help them get widespread recognition, give them a bit of land, and suddenly you got yourself a pretty stable neighbor that owes you one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So can we say at this point that a unity government in Iraq is probably not happening? Seems like they aren't getting anywhere and now the Kurds are about to pull out.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's pretty funny how Muslims somehow get accused of being "the guys who use subterfuge in warfare" rather than, you know, subterfuge being a key principle of warfare.

I guess it goes back to the crusaders literally crying into their journals "how dare those Saracens ambush us in a valley as we honorably march in a column to massacre their kids" :qq:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Kurdistan on the other hand? Help them get widespread recognition, give them a bit of land, and suddenly you got yourself a pretty stable neighbor that owes you one.

Also if it's a kurdish state that DOES owe them rather than a kurdish state that DOESN'T owe them, they don't even need to treat their own kurdish minority WELL to placate a kurdish state, just less badly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

reignonyourparade posted:

Also if it's a kurdish state that DOES owe them rather than a kurdish state that DOESN'T owe them, they don't even need to treat their own kurdish minority WELL to placate a kurdish state, just less badly.

No, what you do is give generous terms to encourage the minority to emigrate, and then you solved your Kurd problem and it's now populated with people who think fondly of Turkey.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

It's pretty funny how Muslims somehow get accused of being "the guys who use subterfuge in warfare" rather than, you know, subterfuge being a key principle of warfare.

I guess it goes back to the crusaders literally crying into their journals "how dare those Saracens ambush us in a valley as we honorably march in a column to massacre their kids" :qq:

Can you explain the first part of your post? I'm genuinely curious who thinks that and why.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Probably this guy

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390388&userid=41639

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah. "Muslims say they declare peace...but in reality, they only make peace when it's strategically advantageous to do so, and resume a war footing when it's more convenient for them!" :aaaaa:

This is something Muslims invented.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

SedanChair posted:

Yeah. "Muslims say they declare peace...but in reality, they only make peace when it's strategically advantageous to do so, and resume a war footing when it's more convenient for them!" :aaaaa:

This is something Muslims invented.

Everyone knows that Muslims only understand violence. This is why we regularly invade their nations and interfere in their civil wars and support the dictators that murder and torture them in hellish prisons. That's also why we created a new special prison in Cuba to ship only Muslims to so they can be sexually tortured and waterboarded. They will respect and admire our strength.

We have also rolled our annual D20 and determined that we will support Maliki and the Syrian rebels. We will reroll next year to determine if we will support Iraqi rebels and Assad.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

fade5 posted:

From the way the rest of this page has gone, I can't argue with you. D&D truly is the easiest to troll out of GBS, D&D and Israel.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

No, what you do is give generous terms to encourage the minority to emigrate, and then you solved your Kurd problem and it's now populated with people who think fondly of Turkey.

Pretty much yeah. At most adding in a few small territoral concessions.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

The AKP gets a lot of votes from Kurds tho. I don't think they see themselves as having a Kurd problem so much as a PKK problem these days, and by empowering Kurdish independence, combined with Sunni issues for Kurds in Iraq and Syria, they're solving that problem diplomatically. With how big of a piece of poo poo Erdogan is, he's almost certainly just trying to latch onto the Kurdish vote that makes up 1/5 of the voter base, but the PKK is losing support to the KDP and other parties with a more moderate view as a result. You guys are probably exaggerating the bad blood between the Kurds and Turks at this point and moving forward. Turkey and Iraqi Kurdistan are practically allies.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is there any reason to not like Kurds at all? It seems like they're the only silver lining in this whole mess. I don't know a whole lot about them other than the Halabja attack and what I picked up from an episode of No Reservations.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Anyone know what's supposedly happening in Karbala?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Looks like the Iraqi Army killed a bunch of Shia who were following a radical cleric associated with Sadr.

Maybe Sadr will launch his rebranded Mahdi army at the Iraqi Army now. Because clearly this isn't enough of a clusterfuck already.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

New Division posted:

Looks like the Iraqi Army killed a bunch of Shia who were following a radical cleric associated with Sadr.

Maybe Sadr will launch his rebranded Mahdi army at the Iraqi Army now. Because clearly this isn't enough of a clusterfuck already.

The Iraqi government seems hell-bent on making sure they have absolutely no allies in the region whatsoever. Is this some new geopolitical strategy akin to 'shooting the moon' in hearts (the card game)?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Radio Prune posted:

Anyone know what's supposedly happening in Karbala?

I can't find anything in the news wires about it. Where are you guys getting this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Sergg posted:

I can't find anything in the news wires about it. Where are you guys getting this from?

https://twitter.com/search?q=karbala&src=typd

• Locked thread