Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking of bullet sponges, be very wary about using the Xenomorph and T-800 plugins for Monster Mod. The mod already badly unbalances the game unless you rebalance it (thankfully a mod exists for that, so no need to scrounge around in the GECK), but they're so impossibly tough that you start to wonder just how beating them is possible. Using the aforementioned damage increase, I went into god mode and used a fully upgraded Red Glare on a T-800. It took literally over a minute of sustained full auto fire (with the damage and fire rate upgrade, mind you) to kill one.
Who balanced the Monster Mod? I want more variety in my encounters but would rather not get gibbed by a lightning fast, tough as poo poo, poorly animated giant tarantula as soon as I step out of Goodsprings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

It's because there's more to do. Also I don't know if you'd be done with all the plot stuff + dlc by 25.

I don't do every quest in every playthrough, but I'm basically done with all the stuff I want to do for each one by 25. By 30 I'm always done with all the poo poo I care about for that particular playthrough.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

The King of Swag posted:

You can exclude a weapon or armor from being sorted, but you can't stock them in specified quantities due to scripting limitations (NV doesn't expose the actual data behind inventory objects to scripting; there's no way to preserve things like durability, unless you move all of a type, all at once). So specific weapons and armor either get sorted into containers or they don't, there's no middle ground. That said, all other items can be stocked with specified quantities. Both the exclusion and stocking system use a hidden container as an interface, so if you wanted to always keep 100 rounds of .22lr on you, you'd open the stocking system, and just add 100 rounds to it (or remove them if you wanted to no longer stock them). The system is smart enough that all these items are virtual (not real game items), so you don't actually lose anything.

That's cool then, I will definitely try Lombard Station again. I never noticed this feature in the past :)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

That's cool then, I will definitely try Lombard Station again. I never noticed this feature in the past :)

It's not a feature of Lombard Station, it's a feature of Lombard Station Expanded.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Basic Chunnel posted:

Who balanced the Monster Mod? I want more variety in my encounters but would rather not get gibbed by a lightning fast, tough as poo poo, poorly animated giant tarantula as soon as I step out of Goodsprings.

This might help you out, Monster Mod - Rebalanced Leveled Lists.

I'm a masochist and enjoy having my head ripped off by xenomorphs that shrug off laser pistol fire so I haven't tried this. :v:

E: and the Monster Mod does have an optional file to replace the poorly animated spiders.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 1, 2014

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I've never really understood playing the game past like level 25. All your skills are maxed already, what's the point?

Maxed skills alone will not save you from the creatures in the Divide or the Big MT. To say nothing of the absolutely excellent Mod community questlines. Specifically the Bounty Hunter saga, "Russell" and The Inheritance.

Unless you insist on running around in power armor all the time, which IS boring. And also slow as all hell. Roll out looking like your idea of the ultimate badass (In my case: Joshua Graham's armor, Dark Ranger hat, Authority Glasses) and the game will keep challenging you.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I remember this much about the Divide. I waltzed in at lv 20 and got by through the skin of my teeth, a fuckload of ammo, and so many auto stims + snakebite tourniquets. I also walked out at my current max. It was 35, as The Divide was the only dlc I had for the ps3 at the time. I also had Wild Wasteland on so the fun train kept rolling but other than that holy poo poo is the Divide player skill based a bit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All the DLC generally requires more skill on the part of the player, since they're made for higher level characters. Enemies tend to come hard and fast, often in ambushes. You need good reflexes, FPS talent, and weapon/ammo switching speed.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I do wish I had been able to traverse the Courier's Mile before that file caved in on itself. I have a bad history with PS3 copies of Fallout games. System corrupting history.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone know of a good mod to make the third person camera better for combat? The crosshair is misaligned and the camera is at a weird angle.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone know of a good mod to make the third person camera better for combat? The crosshair is misaligned and the camera is at a weird angle.

This one is pretty good, last I checked:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34744

Does anyone know what might be causing random friendly NPCs to attack me? I've gotten as far as Nipton, and the legion party there attacked me before even speaking to me, so I killed them (because, why not). Then I went back to Mojave Outpost, and Cass attacked me out of nowhere as well. All my reputations are neutral, and I'm not wearing anything faction specific...

Load order:

quote:

DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
FalloutNV.esm
FCOMaster.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm
Military Explansion Program.esm
SomeguySeries.esm
NVInteriors_Core.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
NevadaSkies.esm
SCAV.esm
Improved Sound FX - Merged Major DLCs.esp
Improved Sound FX.esp
ManualReload-OldWorldBlues.esp
Readius_NV.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
BetterGamePerformanceV3.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
FCO - GlowingOne.esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
Sideburns.esp
The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
ManualReload.esp
GRA WRP Compatibility Patch.esp
Eyepatch.esp
pyDoF.esp
SimpleStreetLights.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
TheInheritance.esp
GRA - The Right to Bear Arms.esp
Rustyhwys.esp
MTB.esp
NevadaSkies - Ultimate DLC Edition.esp
Delay DLC - DM + HH + OWB + LR + GRA.esp
w44Satchels - Full.esp
The Low Profile Armor Mod.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
Holster.esp
Crossbow.esp
M1897.esp
Mateba.esp

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
It's a bug in Satchels. It should have added an item to your inventory that fixes it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Talmonis posted:

Maxed skills alone will not save you from the creatures in the Divide or the Big MT. To say nothing of the absolutely excellent Mod community questlines. Specifically the Bounty Hunter saga, "Russell" and The Inheritance.

Unless you insist on running around in power armor all the time, which IS boring. And also slow as all hell. Roll out looking like your idea of the ultimate badass (In my case: Joshua Graham's armor, Dark Ranger hat, Authority Glasses) and the game will keep challenging you.

Just being vaguely good at the game will see you through the DLC at whatever level. LR is probably the one that's hardest without a lot invested into combat but I've done it several times below 20. I've done the initial areas right at the start of the game for gear, too.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

The Colonel posted:

It's a bug in Satchels. It should have added an item to your inventory that fixes it.

Ah, I thought so. I ran that fix though, and it didn't fix anything :/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Second question: Does anyone know of a mod that increases caps rewarded by quests? I'd rather make money by doing jobs than murdering Fiends and dragging all their poo poo back to the Gun Runners.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
From the JSawyer mod changelog:
"Set all Powder Ganger factions to Evil to prevent karma loss for stealing from them."

Can I do the same for the Legion? This might be a controversial opinion but I don't really respect slavers' right of ownership.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

So I'm trying to run "4GB Fallout NV (NVSE + Windows 8 Compatible)" from the OP through Mod Organizer and I'm getting an error. I'm using windows 8. When I run the 4GB exe on it's own the game starts up, but when launched through Mod Organizer I get this.

Has anyone run into this before and can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Make sure all of the relevant folders aren't for some reason set to be read-only. Also make sure you're running it as an administrator if necessary.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

CJacobs posted:

Make sure all of the relevant folders aren't for some reason set to be read-only. Also make sure you're running it as an administrator if necessary.

edit: god drat. For some reason the whole steam folder was read only and I could have sworn I checked earlier and it wasn't. Going to turn that off now and see if it works.

edit 2: Ok so the problem is that the folders keep reverting back to read only after I change it. No idea why.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 2, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cheap Shot posted:

edit: god drat. For some reason the whole steam folder was read only and I could have sworn I checked earlier and it wasn't. Going to turn that off now and see if it works.

edit 2: Ok so the problem is that the folders keep reverting back to read only after I change it. No idea why.

I'm having a similar problem with running things as administrator. FNVEdit and FOMM both revert back to not being "always run as administrator", and no matter how many times I go into preferences and reapply it, it won't stick. It only just started happening last month.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've been playing TTW but I'm getting the occasional missing texture-- one thing I'm noticing that's really obnoxious is that I just started Mothership Zeta, and whenever an alien fires their rifle, a big red ! momentarily appears at the end of their barrel before the shot flies out. Is this some kinda EVE bug?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I saw Tracks the other day and now I need to play a game with desert in it. :cripes:

Gonna give FNV yet another go after I get my mods in order, again. Any goon opinions on Caesar's New Regime and NCR Rearmament? They both seem to be mostly armor mods so I'm thinking they should play ball with the Sawyer overhaul.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fewd posted:

I saw Tracks the other day and now I need to play a game with desert in it. :cripes:

Gonna give FNV yet another go after I get my mods in order, again. Any goon opinions on Caesar's New Regime and NCR Rearmament? They both seem to be mostly armor mods so I'm thinking they should play ball with the Sawyer overhaul.

Caesar's New Regime adds some new NPC's and quests to the game so if you only want cooler looking armor I can't recommend it. The guy also made an NCR mod, which doesn't add any new npcs and quests, and I like the look of it more than NCR Rearmament, which is too modern for my tastes.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 2, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
New NPCs or quests doesn't bother me, just trying to keep everything compatible and balanced with Sawyer. That NCR mod you linked does look better than the one I did, thanks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Roobanguy posted:

Caesar's New Regime adds some new NPC's and quests to the game so if you only want cooler looking armor I can't recommend it. The guy also made an NCR mod, which doesn't add any new npcs and quests, and I like the look of it more than NCR Rearmament, which is too modern for my tastes.

That NCR mod looks bangin'. :fap:

I might have to start another playthrough of this game. I just managed to get away, too.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fewd posted:

New NPCs or quests doesn't bother me, just trying to keep everything compatible and balanced with Sawyer. That NCR mod you linked does look better than the one I did, thanks.

jsawyer mod is basically compatible with anything that doesn't change balance and the like, and even stuff like that is usually fine if you let let jsawyer override them or they have compatibility patches, so Caeser's New Regime should be fine with it.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 2, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fewd posted:

There's a pretty alright desert texture mod for NV:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55328

It lets you fart around with the GECK worldmap producer and make a cool, totally featureless desert out of a single ground texture!

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
I dislike it when my enemies explode into a million pieces. Can anyone recommend a mod that controls or eliminates gibbing?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Raimondi posted:

I dislike it when my enemies explode into a million pieces. Can anyone recommend a mod that controls or eliminates gibbing?

Project Nevada has that as an option, at least. I don't know why you would want to play the game without head explosions, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Minorkos posted:

Project Nevada has that as an option, at least. I don't know why you would want to play the game without head explosions, though.

Or when you gib an enemy and the game fucks up, and you end up running by a pair of eyeballs, part of a jaw and half a brain floating in mid-air.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Raimondi posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41944/

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

Thanks a bunch!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I love gibbing, but I will tweak PN so that the odds of people getting limbs severed/gibbed is greatly reduced. I feel like the default value is crazy-high, and it sort of turns it into a mundane happening when it should really be an awesome experience every time.

The only exception to this is that Fallout 1/2 animation where the dude gets shredded by automatic fire.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

e: nm I'm too tired to read properly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I love gibbing, but I will tweak PN so that the odds of people getting limbs severed/gibbed is greatly reduced. I feel like the default value is crazy-high, and it sort of turns it into a mundane happening when it should really be an awesome experience every time.

The only exception to this is that Fallout 1/2 animation where the dude gets shredded by automatic fire.

Yeah, that's how I prefer it. Most of the time the guys just fall over, while shotguns and .50 cal rifles actually gib and dismember and explosions tear bodies to shreds.

With energy weapons, though, it's just a mess.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Need some help! I'm new at Fallout and I've made enemies with the NCR and they are now hunting me down. Problem is, I seem to be so loving weak that I can barely do any damage. Tried armor piercing and nothing. In other words, they are kicking my rear end. Any tips?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Explosives, for one. If you see them coming, try grenades and dynamite before they reach you. If you have a grenade launcher or rifle, even better.

Stealth boy and run away maybe?

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Energy weapons, perhaps? What have you been dumping your skill points into?

There's also the option of turning the difficulty down.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Energy weapons, perhaps? What have you been dumping your skill points into?

There's also the option of turning the difficulty down.

Playing on hard. Maybe I will turn the difficulty down. As for point allocation, I've been doing lockpick, Barter, Speech and Science. Maybe put some in Guns, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Playing on hard. Maybe I will turn the difficulty down. As for point allocation, I've been doing lockpick, Barter, Speech and Science. Maybe put some in Guns, huh?

The Difficulty modifier changes how much damage you inflict compared to what they inflict to you. Hard is I believe you receiving %150 damage, and inflicting %50.