Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Immigration department officials screen asylum seekers at sea 'via teleconference'
July 2, 2014 - 3:05PM
Sarah Whyte
Immigration correspondent

EXCLUSIVE

The second asylum seeker boat to recently attempt the journey to Australia has been intercepted by Australian officials who allegedly screened people on board via a teleconference.

A source from the immigration department has confirmed the ACV Triton, a 98-metre Australian customs patrol boat, intercepted the asylum seeker vessel on the weekend.

The boat was initially thought to have come from Java, Indonesia, but Fairfax Media understands the boat departed from Sri Lanka.

It is understood interpreters were brought into the Sydney and Melbourne offices of the department on Saturday and Sunday to help ''screen'' the asylum seekers.

Four questions were allegedly asked of the 50 passengers, including their name, country of origin, where they had come from and why they had left.

According to a department document, the Customs and Border Protection Marine Unit personnel aboard the Triton are trained in use of force, ship searches, and can undertake armed boardings at sea.

It is unknown whether the 50 asylum seekers remain on board the Triton, which can carry up to 98 people.

Greens Immigration spokeswoman Sarah Hanson-Young said the reports were ''extremely concerning''.

"There is no way that people can have their claims for protection properly assessed by immigration officials over the phone and when they are in the middle of the ocean,'' she said.

It comes as there are unconfirmed reports 153 Sri Lankan asylum seekers on board another boat have been handed over to the Sri Lankan navy.

The asylum seekers, who have not communicated with civilians since Saturday morning, were on a boat allegedly intercepted by the Australian navy near Christmas Island, president of the Shire of Christmas Island Gordon Thomson said. They were then handed over to Sri Lanka's military.

A spokesman for the Sri Lankan military late on Tuesday denied the reports.

''We are not aware of any arrangements of the Australian Navy handing over refugees, to Sri Lankan Navy,'' he told ABC Radio.

Human Rights lawyer, David Manne said if the allegations were true, Australia would be endangering the lives of all asylum seekers on board the boat.

''There is no more serious or dangerous violation of our international obligations to hand someone directly to the authorities that they are fleeing from,'' he said.

A spokesman for the Immigration Minister, Scott Morrison said: ''Responding to speculative claims is contrary to the policy and practice of Operation Sovereign Borders as described by the Joint Agency Task Force.''

I would describe this as farcical but we are well past that point and aren't stopping any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
"Welcome to Australia, how white are ya."

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

adamantium|wang posted:

(Sydney's newest solution to cheap housing)

So we are now one step closer to truly living in the future :

quote:

Hiro Protagonist and Vitaly Chernobyl, roommates, are chilling out in their home, a spacious 20-by-30 in a U-Stor-It in Inglewood, California. The room has a concrete slab floor, corrugated steel walls separating it from the neighboring units, and - this is a mark of distinction and luxury - a roll-up steel door that faces northwest, giving them a few red rays at times like this, when the sun is setting over LAX. From time to time, a 777 or a Sukhoi/Kawasaki Hypersonic Transport will taxi in front of the sun and block the sunset with its rudder, or just mangle the red light with its jet exhaust, braiding the parallel rays into a dappled pattern on the wall.

But there are worse places to live. There are much worse places right here in this U-Stor-It. Only the big units like this one have their own doors. Most of them are accessed via a communal loading dock that leads to a maze of wide corrugated-steel hallways and freight elevators. These are slum housing, 5-by-10s and 10-by-1Os where Yanoama tribespersons cook beans and parboil fistfuls of coca leaves over heaps of burning lottery tickets.

It is whispered that in the old days, when the U-Stor-It was actually used for its intended purpose (namely, providing cheap extra storage space to Californians with too many material goods), certain entrepreneurs came to the front office, rented out 1O-by-1Os using fake IDs, filled them up with steel drums full of toxic chemical waste, and then abandoned them, leaving the problem for the U-Stor-It Corporation to handle. According to these rumors, U-Stor-It just padlocked those units and wrote them off. Now, the immigrants claim, certain units remain haunted by this chemical specter. It is a story they tell their children, to keep them from trying to break into padlocked units.

No one has ever tried to break into Hiro and Vitaly's unit because there's nothing in there to steal, and at this point in their lives, neither one of them is important enough to kill, kidnap, or interrogate. Hiro owns a couple of nice Nipponese swords, but he always wears them, and the whole idea of stealing fantastically dangerous weapons presents the would-be perp with inherent dangers and contradictions: When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins. Hiro also has a pretty nice computer that he usually takes with him when he goes anywhere. Vitaly owns half a carton of Lucky Strikes, an electric guitar, and a hangover.

At the moment, Vitaly Chernobyl is stretched out on a futon, quiescent, and Hiro Protagonist is sitting crosslegged at a low table, Nipponese style, consisting of a cargo pallet set on cinderblocks.

As the sun sets, its red light is supplanted by the light of many neon logos emanating from the franchise ghetto that constitutes this U-Stor-It's natural habitat. This light, known as loglo, fills in the shadowy corners of the unit with seedy, oversaturated colors.

The site in question seems to be Here, and based on the mobile number on the gate (0418 228 162), here's one of the ads from 21st November 2011:

quote:

Move in (two people or one person) private kitchen for 4 people in camper (caravan)

Bedroom kitchen, you have another room separated by a door from the dining living.
Is the size that can be used easily in the two because it is originally for 4 people.

$ 100 / week, if two people: $ 160 per week is / is your occupation alone.

The location is close to the Alexandria City is also the airport.
5 minutes to the bus stop, to the train station is 10 minutes.

Furniture all the necessary kitchen utensils, DVD Player, TV rooms.

Toilet, shower, washing machine will be jointly used, but no one is being used with fixed now.

It is recommended for those who want to concentrate on the study in a quiet environment, those who want the privacy.
I think without hesitation, that it is a reasonable choice comfortable.

We are looking forward to 0418 228 162 Imaeda only in Japanese feel free to contact us.
Please refrain from SMS, to EMAIL.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Captain Pissweak posted:

"Welcome to Australia, how white are ya."

Skype's good enough for a swatch test, surely?

To some extent I'm kind of glad this information's coming out, in the sense that I knew horrible poo poo was happening and wasn't being reported on.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Also is the ABC Fact Check ever going to stick to a reasonably simple scale or would that stop them from being able to weasel out of ever displaying something resembling a judgement

I feel like that whole section is staffed by interns who want to practice their journalism/writing when coming up with headlines/captions. Was the unfounded statement unfounded? We find it unfounded. Lots of double negatives and plays on words.

When I have to watch the video summary to understand the position the headline is trying to convey, you've failed your loving job at being a fact checker for the broader public.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

loving slumlords.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Australia: Slumlord Millionaires

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

adamantium|wang posted:

I would describe this as farcical but we are well past that point and aren't stopping any time soon.

A spokesman for the Immigration Minister, Scott Morrison said: "I understand that audio was not available on the teleconferencing but Department officers took the view that a visual inspection was sufficient to assess the legitimacy of claimants' applications for asylum."

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Someone at DIBP will accidentally leave Flux turned on and make everybody look browner

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Accidentally?

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Heads up for anyone still getting this: the geniuses over at the ATO thought an image called "ad.gif" would be a Good Idea and so important that if it failed to load the whole thing should die. Disable AdBlock.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Sri Lankan navy officials have confirmed we're going to transfer the Tamil asylum seekers over to them.

In the middle of the ocean.

During monsoonal weather.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sisgmund posted:

Sri Lankan navy officials have confirmed we're going to transfer the Tamil asylum seekers over to them.

This poo poo is great. LNP formulates a full proof plan to stop the boats...
Boats start coming from unexpected places... comes up with a solution that is inconsistent with stated policies. Does everything to avoid egg on face... Encourages ongoing Journalist speculation.

This poo poo is going to end up like the ICAC inquiry isn't it? Deny until you can't deny any more, then fall on sword (and repeat).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sisgmund posted:

Are they going to fire the seekers off our boats like human cannonballs?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Sisgmund posted:

"Oops, dropped that one."

"Oops, dropped that one again."

"Oops, can't believe we dropped them all."

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Endman posted:

Good news, everybody. I listened to the radio again!

Turns out Eric Abetz is still banging on about seasonal fruit picking as a solution to all of Tasmania's unemployment woes. He's even using data that suggests that unemployment welfare recipients have, on average, poorer physical and mental health to justify taking them off welfare for six months to pick fruit, as though the "dignity of work" will forever solve all of your ailments.

I guess I'll stop taking my pills and tell my therapist to kill him are self, all I need is to pick fruit for probably less than minimum wage and none of the benefits proper employment would afford me. :toot:

7.30 did a report on foreign fruitpickers being exploited by labour hire contractors. As in putting out ads which say "Asians only". http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s4028391.htm

So I guess if they can't exploit foreigners they'll exploit the unemployed instead!

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Ragingsheep posted:

"Oops, dropped that one."

"Oops, dropped that one again."

"Oops, can't believe we dropped them all."

"... and that's how we found out that these wicked Muslim asylum seekers threw their children overboard."

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Pred1ct posted:

As in putting out ads which say "Asians only". http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s4028391.htm

:argh: Asians stealing all our lovely, underpaid and highly exploitative jobs!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Went on another resume run today, talked to a manager who bluntly told me to "Wait your turn on SEEK". Turn huh? Thanks Boomer.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
loving queue jumper, why can't you just wait in a UN camp like everyone else

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

adamantium|wang posted:

Wait with High speed broadband its just like being in the same room.
Even crappy satellite teleconference would do. I mean Foxtel is delivering HD channels via satellite with 2Mbps to 4Mbps so a 6Mbps connection 3 up and 3 down should be way sufficient to get it done.
(Apart from the 800ms latency or whatever - but that's just extra thinking time)

Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes: "Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean I can't either."

In other news: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cartoon/2014/jun/26/first-dog-cartoon-newsenate

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Captain Pissweak posted:

"... and that's how we found out that these wicked Muslim asylum seekers threw their children overboard."

Literally crying irl, alternating between tears of laughter and ones of pain. :(

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Anidav posted:

Went on another resume run today, talked to a manager who bluntly told me to "Wait your turn on SEEK". Turn huh? Thanks Boomer.

I honestly had forgotten just how nerve-wracking the jobseeking process is, and I've even had an interview recently! But the overwhelming feeling I got from that will be that I'll get a response of 'too qualified' and so I might just go back to customer service at the company I used to work at. The pay is even slightly better than the grad position I applied for (not kidding) and I doubt the work is nearly as strenuous.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I should just join the rest of Australia and blame THE MESS for all my problems.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Hypation posted:

Wait with High speed broadband its just like being in the same room.
Even crappy satellite teleconference would do.
I mean Foxtel is delivering HD channels via satellite with 2Mbps to 4Mbps so a 6Mbps connection 3 up and 3 down should be way sufficient to get it done.
(Apart from the 800ms latency or whatever - but that's just extra thinking time)

Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes: "Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean I can't either."
800msec+ latency ruins any flow in a conversation. Foxtel broadcasting at 6Mbps from a satellite is a one-way thing, and not comparable at all to a 2 way real time voice/video call. Unless you're going to spend military levels of money, flying people up there would be more cost effective. Of course, accomodating them in the community in Australia while claims were being processed would cost orders of magnitude less.

Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes: "Everything is easy when you don't understand what's involved."

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

Got informed by the JSA recently that I was the pick of a crowd I'd interviewed with a month ago, but small business affected by death in the family, and now they're selling the business.

:thumbsup:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I had a friend ask me why he couldn't stream 1080p over the internet in real time while being able to watch 1080p on his television and it was impossible to explain it to him.

Basically though, you get far greater throughput in a system that sends the same data in one direction than one which relies on confirmation of data received through a two way connection like TCP/IP.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

800msec+ latency ruins any flow in a conversation. Foxtel broadcasting at 6Mbps from a satellite is a one-way thing, and not comparable at all to a 2 way real time voice/video call. Unless you're going to spend military levels of money, flying people up there would be more cost effective. Of course, accomodating them in the community in Australia while claims were being processed would cost orders of magnitude less.

Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes: "Everything is easy when you don't understand what's involved."

Yep. When I worked at a voip provider a few years back we relocated much of our datacenter from sydney to singapore, because , somewhat unexpectedly, there was about 8ms better latency. Anything over , maybe 50ms becomes quite noticable and when combined with echo cancellation can be quite disruptive to signal quality, particularly on mobile devices with limited capacity for processing long echo cycles. When echo IS introduced as a result of high latency, people actually become quite confused talking and sometimes even lose the ability to speak properly (Try it, talk into something with about a 300-1000ms speech delay playing it back to you (like a voip feedback test service) its quite disturbing how tounge tied you can get. Its a well studied linguistic phenomena.

You *cant* do voip over that sort of latency, and not expect it to be horrible and confusing.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Cassa posted:

Got informed by the JSA recently that I was the pick of a crowd I'd interviewed with a month ago, but small business affected by death in the family, and now they're selling the business.

:thumbsup:

Now that I'm officially working for THE GOVERNMENT I'm getting job offers all the loving time from interviews I did at the start of the year, and whilst its immensely satisfying turning them down (Who the gently caress CHOOSES to be a Java developer?) its frusturating they never bothered to capitalize on it when it was timely and I needed them to.

Seriously, these people don't get the urgency of jobseeking.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nibbles141 posted:

It's IR reforms from another angle.

Exactly. Work Choices failed because it targeted the "battlers". This latest round will succeed because they're framing it in a way that makes people think they're only targeting the "bludgers".

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

Worthless employer. gently caress him. Find places that don't give lip and be persistant. You can make people hire you just so you'll stop bugging them. Particularly if your young and not THAT expensive to hire.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

It's a loving grind job seeking.
You need to roughly tailor your resume for the industry, apply to a couple of industry's and wait on it all being processed.
And you've got all the mental baggage attached thanks to job seeking.

Anidav, you know they're looking for picker packers in Hendra and Moorooka?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Karen Middleton ‏@KarenMMiddleton 1h

Janet Albrechtsen & former Fraser Govt minister Neil Brown appointed to the nomination panel for the ABC & SBS boards. Notice on PM&C site.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

Re: HECS/FEE HELP, reminder that if you have European citizenship you can study in Sweden completely free. No application fees, no tuition. When I go back to Uni that's where I'll be, probably university of Gothenburg since their social studies department is amazing.

Wow. I have Euro citizenship and had no idea about this. Why do they allow it? I have Irish citizenship which means I can live in both Ireland and the UK even aside from any EU stuff, and neither of those countries will even give me their equivalent of HECS until I've lived here for three years.

edit - I was looking at that link and it also appears they do most of their classes in English and even have English fluency as a prerequisite? Again, very grateful, but... why?

freebooter fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 2, 2014

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/07/02/albrechtsen-poised-to-score-a-powerful-gig-at-abcsbs/

quote:

Crikey has been tipped off that conservative columnist Janet Albrechtsen is about to be appointed to a powerful role overseeing the ABC and SBS boards. The Coalition government is talking to Albrechtsen, who writes for The Australian, about appointing her to the four-person nomination panel that plays a crucial role in appointments to the ABC and SBS boards.

That would be an interesting development for ABC managing director Mark Scott, given that Albrechtsen last year used her column in the Oz to call for him to resign. As MD, Scott sits on the ABC board.

It wouldn’t be Albrechtsen’s first official role with the ABC. She sat on the board from 2005 to 2010 (she was appointed by John Howard).

The nomination panel was a Kevin Rudd initiative and was supposed to depoliticise the process of appointing board members to the ABC and SBS. The ” independent” panel considers applications then presents a shortlist of board candidates to the minister or PM. There are currently two vacancies on the panel; Albrechtsen would take one. It’s currently chaired by former diplomat Ric Smith. All positions on the panel expire by April next year, so the Abbott government can entirely remake the panel as it sees fit.

The nomination panel has some important decisions to make in the coming months. There has been some media speculation that the government was stalling on certain broadcasting board appointments because it wanted to stack the nomination panel with sympathisers.

Appointments that the panel will mull over include one new ABC board member (to replace Julianne Schultz) and one new SBS board member (to replace Elleni Bereded-Samuel). Two more ABC board members are due to leave next year (see the current board here). These decisions have lengthy ramifications as each new board member will sit for up to five years.

Meanwhile, SBS chairman Joseph Skrzynski has of course left the job (Fairfax reported Malcolm Turnbull wanted him to stay, but was rolled by Tony Abbott). It appears that the nomination panel will be involved in replacing him. Has the Coalition government been waiting to get Albrechtsen on the nomination panel before that decision is made?

This is not the first occasion where the Coalition government has appointed friendly figures to key positions. Columnist Gerard Henderson was appointed a judge for the Prime Minister’s Literary Awards, and Tim Wilson made a Human Rights Commissioner.

Expect to hear more on this very soon.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

freebooter posted:

Wow. I have Euro citizenship and had no idea about this. Why do they allow it? I have Irish citizenship which means I can live in both Ireland and the UK even aside from any EU stuff, and neither of those countries will even give me their equivalent of HECS until I've lived here for three years.

edit - I was looking at that link and it also appears they do most of their classes in English and even have English fluency as a prerequisite? Again, very grateful, but... why?

New zealand either is or was offering free or pretty drat close to it education for Australian citizens at one point. Maybe still is.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

freebooter posted:

Scandinavia has a weird approach to providing things that are social goods such as education... in that they actually think it's good everyone has access to it regardless of financial state.

Very strange and obviously we in the enlightened anglosphere know better. University is only for lifters, not leaners.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

duck monster posted:

New zealand either is or was offering free or pretty drat close to it education for Australian citizens at one point. Maybe still is.

I went to uni in NZ. Australian citizens get the same deal as New Zealand citizens, but it's not free.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Most nations would stop short of allowing the other 500 million Europeans to access it as well, though.

I'm sure there's a catch. I did a bit of googling but as with any university system it's really complex and I actually have no interest in studying again at the moment anyway. I suppose most natural-born Europeans would prefer to study in their own country anyway, even if they have to pay it back later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Mr Chips posted:

If you have specifically configured the beams and transponders for additional uplink capacity then you can get satellite based videoconferencing. European VSATS running from eg SES, Inmarsat and Eutelsat Ka and Ku band satellites offer 1,2, and 4Mbps uplink. ie we have the technology. However as you point out it is very expensive. The older L-band ones are the ones where you can't really do videoconferencing all that well.

However the Australian Navy / Customs is literally part of the military (Border protection force/farce etc 3-star general led whatever) so it should not be surprising to see that it has indeed spent "military levels of money" not just to get VSAT capability but to get its own dedicated transponders because communications are kind of important to the military. Specifically one of the things they did was after Defence Materiel worked out that Optus's old satellite was not really up to it, they paid $927 million to the US Government for the US to launch an additional satellite in the US defence comms network. As a result we now get access to that satellite and 8 other US Defence Comm-sats running 10x faster than what they had before. That $927 million is literally more than NBN Co is planning to spend on its satellites (by $7 million - the other $1.1 billion in NBN is ground installs that the Defence Dept does not need to do).

Meanwhile the 500ms to 800ms delay while annoying in some circumstances (stops you from easily interrupting people by imposing more order on the conversation) does not prevent the flow of information. I have no problem following the flow of interviews done via satellite or even chatting with the multiple second latencies of text based chat. In a formal interview process a 1 second delay is actually advantageous because you politely listen to the question, take it in then think about how to answer then provide your answer and stop speaking.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 2, 2014

• Locked thread