Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lana trailer for Hyrule Warriors

She uses uh, blocks to attack.

Grumblebump volcano from 3d world rolled as a actual character.

The last thing Zelda needed was a perky school girl, but holy crap does her playstyle look fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Well July 1st and I only have 145 points left for 2015 Platinum after doing all my surveys.

Nice. I saved mine up and currently need 280 until platinum, but I have only taken 2 of the 10-12 surveys that I have/will be getting.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rathina posted:

Is it too late now to get a Mario Kart Wii U Bundle? Doesn't even look like it's on Nintendo's page anymore (It used to appear on this page with the other 2 bundles: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/ )

Is this something that is just temporary out of stock or now that it's done it's done? I can't find it anywhere local to me (it seemed like it was everywhere a few weeks ago, just didn't have the cash for it at the time).

If you go the refurbished route and don't mind having a wheel its actually cheaper to get the wii u + wii remote refurbished along with mk8. You also get Nintendoland on top of it. Saves around 60 bucks

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
On my Zelda Wind Waker missing heart piece scandal I made a startling discovery: I somehow forgot to pick up the heart container from beating Andross in the tower of the gods. So I got that and now am missing only one piece and a photo of Ghoma. Still have no idea what piece. But I know it isn't any of the outset, chart, octo, or windfall ones which narrows it down. Also know it isn't the forsaken fortress one, the trading quest one, the random ship that has it, the hit Orca 500 times one, the pig one, the cannon mini game or the Octo mini game, or the golden feathers or the greatfish isle one or pawprint isle or bomb isle or letter sorting.

greatn fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 2, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Keep us updated bro

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Well July 1st and I only have 145 points left for 2015 Platinum after doing all my surveys.

The surveys people are talking about are only the ones that pop up when you enter a code, yes? Who purchased this game/ was it a gift/ where did you hear about it/ what are you looking forward to... that stuff?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lana trailer for Hyrule Warriors

She uses uh, blocks to attack.

Grumblebump volcano from 3d world rolled as a actual character.

Hyrule Warriors looks great and even the original characters seem alright.

I really want them to make a Fire Emblem Warriors game now

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trent posted:

The surveys people are talking about are only the ones that pop up when you enter a code, yes? Who purchased this game/ was it a gift/ where did you hear about it/ what are you looking forward to... that stuff?

Yes. Some people hold on to them near the end of the year.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Trent posted:

There are usually post play surveys that pop up a few days later as well.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Evil Canadian posted:

Got my Wii U Refurb in today, only got to play Mario Kart and it is a blast. Is there any way to get Mario kart to stick with the d-pad controls for the game though? Everytime I start a new grand prix all the wii controllers default to motion controls.

This was from a bit back but wanted to follow up because I didn't see an answer. For me it's always defaulted to directional controls, but that's on the GamePad. You can change the GamePad mode from the '+' menu in game, is that the same for Wii Remotes?

Maybe someone else can chime in with a better answer.

Ultigonio posted:

Here's another preview of the WIP OP, this time from the very top of the first post to just before the F.A.Q. It features the Recent News Tidbit (a piece of interesting or important news that'll appear at the tippy-top of the OP), links to other important Nintendo threads, and the Ongoing Deals section. As usual, any and all feedback is appreciated. Next up, I'll be posting the entire first post of the OP. It's just about done, but I'm starting to slow down for the night, so I figured I'd post up progress, especially since I think that the Ongoing Deals section is a pretty helpful thing to have. I'm definitely missing some items from the hardware subsection, and I gotta' fix that source for the news tidbit, but it'll probably be switched out for something else by the time I get this thing done.

Liked starting off with recent news, and the links to the other threads. I didn't know there was an eShop thread, I'll have to bookmark that! Likewise, doing the breakdown of the different posts up top is good, though for the actual thread they should probably be links to each post. Using the Wii U Details graphic was a smart choice, and I hope we'll be able to use more graphic like that instead of just text. Speaking of text though, nice text art for the headers.

One thing though, I do think the Mario Kart 8 promotion should be on top of the recent news, maybe with a couple :siren:s. It really is a great deal, and it's in the last month to get it now so it would suck if people missed out.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Trent posted:

No, those are the surveys you do for the initial points. The follow up surveys (post play) will ask you questions about the actual gameplay and usually end with a question that says "We are soliciting ...." and you check a box saying that they can use your testimony for marketing purposes. I registered my games last Tuesday and got the follow up ones today, so it seems to be automated 7 days after the first survey you do. The follow up ones are worth 10 coins.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I wonder if Guacamelee will come out at midnight? Or would it release later in the day?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So, I'm trying to play MK8 with a bud, and there's a mysterious 3rd player in the select character screen. We cannot continue until this thing selects and uhh... so can we not play video games?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Zonekeeper posted:

Well poo poo. I got my refurbished Wii U in, but I have an issue: after I sync my gamepad, the picture does ths vertical roll thing. The weird thing is, before the pad syncs its fine. The startup logo and the screen where you input the card suits to sync the pad is fine. Once that happens I get a jittery mess. Anyone run into this issue, or am I going to have to send this drat thing back?

I'd call Nintendo Support, but of course UPS ran late and dropped it off right before they closed for the day.

Update: I tried updating the console to see if that would fix it and it only made things worse. Now I'm getting weird flashing patterns and lines with no discernable picture at all. Guess I got a dud. :(

Update #2: I borrowed my sister's Wii U gamepad and synced it to my console. The issue didn't pop up, so that means the issue is restricted to the gamepad. Called up Nintendo and the representative set me up with a free repair after fighting the repair order system for 45 minutes. (the system kept trying to charge me, and she had to escalate it to get it set as a free repair.) You bet your rear end I sent that rep an overwhelmingly positive review.

The bad news: I'll have to send off my gamepad and will be without it for a bit.

The good news: I set up my system with the borrowed gamepad, so I can play my games with the Pro controller until I get my working gamepad in the mail. Can't use the internet browser, change the settings, or do anything else that requires the gamepad, but I can play Mario Kart, Zelda, and Mario 3D World. (Which is the only thing that really matters.) I'm actually surprised I can do those things with a missing gamepad, so Kudos to Nintendo's UI designers.

Edit: Oh hell yes - connecting my Club Nintendo account to the console earned me 160 coins despite the console supposedly not being eligible. Only 50 coins away from gold for next year already.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 2, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

So, I'm trying to play MK8 with a bud, and there's a mysterious 3rd player in the select character screen. We cannot continue until this thing selects and uhh... so can we not play video games?

Have you tried consulting an exorcist?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have terrible impulse control and picked up a Wii U last night after talking about how much we liked Mario Kart and Mario Party with my wife. I wound up getting the black bundle with New Super Mario and Luigi. Also picked up a remote and Mario Kart 8. Today I purchased Wii Party U (mostly because it came with a remote). It looks like I need one more remote (my son plays too) and there is a Nintendo Land bundle floating around online that comes with a remote. Is there any reason not to just pick up one of these off of amazon or somewhere else?

Also, why the hell do you need the giant screen controller and two remotes to play two player Mario? Also, Zelda is fun.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Y'know looking at the boxart for Hyrule Warriors I notice it doesn't have the online symbol. I guess that answers that, what a terrible gross misstep.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

bef posted:

If you go the refurbished route and don't mind having a wheel its actually cheaper to get the wii u + wii remote refurbished along with mk8. You also get Nintendoland on top of it. Saves around 60 bucks

And it's worth mentioning that Nintendoland is actually really cool if you're into kinda-mini games and/or collecting things.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bobnumerotres posted:

I wonder if Guacamelee will come out at midnight? Or would it release later in the day?

Most likely not; I think only first party games come out at midnight. Check later today. I'm on mobile so FU thread deal with the double post.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Wii Party U fun for just two people?

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
E3 convinced me to buy a wii u and I am loving it. I can't believe I bought into the negative Internet opinion.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pawl posted:

I really want them to make a Fire Emblem Warriors game now

:aaa: :shepspends:

O__O posted:

E3 convinced me to buy a wii u and I am loving it. I can't believe I bought into the negative Internet opinion.

Yes, who would've thought that the internet could be wrongly negative about something.

Man, I can't wait for more single player games that I don't want to play with the wife come out. I've been using the off TV play quite a lot lately and it's just so great. :allears:

Also, does anyone know if "upgrading" Virtual console titels counts for Premium points? After the MK8 promotion and buying Ducktales I'm like 16 points short. :negative: Upgrading the VC games I already have to be playable on the gamepad seems like a great investment.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 2, 2014

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

In theory Nintendo would be able to release something like Google Cardboard for the WiiU gamepad wouldn't they? It obviously wouldn't touch the rift resolution wise... but it would technically work.

Obligatory Photoshops:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Konami did that for that one Metal Gear PSP game, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the gamepad.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Konami did that for that one Metal Gear PSP game, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the gamepad.

How was it?

Long John Power fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 2, 2014

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

You now cannot unsee the face

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Neowyrm posted:

You now cannot unsee the face

He just looks so happy to provide 3D.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Long John Power posted:

In theory Nintendo would be able to release something like Google Cardboard for the WiiU gamepad wouldn't they? It obviously wouldn't touch the rift resolution wise... but it would technically work.

Obligatory Photoshops:

That would make the 'its the new virtual boy!' jokes come on even stronger, methinks.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
People actually bought that?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Y'know looking at the boxart for Hyrule Warriors I notice it doesn't have the online symbol. I guess that answers that, what a terrible gross misstep.

What?! I thought they said at E3 that it would have online play! Please be wrong. :ohdear: That was one of the things I was most looking forward to about the game!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Darth TNT posted:

Also, does anyone know if "upgrading" Virtual console titels counts for Premium points? After the MK8 promotion and buying Ducktales I'm like 16 points short. :negative: Upgrading the VC games I already have to be playable on the gamepad seems like a great investment.

Yes, you'll get points for getting Virtual Console games, even at the discount "upgrade" price. That said, you only get points on however much you spent, not the base retail price. So if it's a NES title that costs you $1.00 to upgrade, you'll get 10 Deluxe Digital points.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I feel like that thing is whispering "kill me" here.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

jivjov posted:

Yes, you'll get points for getting Virtual Console games, even at the discount "upgrade" price. That said, you only get points on however much you spent, not the base retail price. So if it's a NES title that costs you $1.00 to upgrade, you'll get 10 Deluxe Digital points.

Brilliant, thanks. Now to find out which ones Nintendo has seen fit to upload to the shop. :(

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
I just noticed on the eShop ZombiU is being sold for 22.49 (also Rayman Legends at 20.00!) and I can't help but be curious about the multiplayer aspect which sounded cool on paper but I would like to hear any testimony if possible.

EDIT: Actually, if anyone can recommend other good group games, I'd like to hear that too. I usually have anywhere between 3 - 5 people for Wii U nights, so if there's any stand out games, I'm interested.

Grandpa Goodtimes fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 2, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

I just noticed on the eShop ZombiU is being sold for 22.49 (also Rayman Legends at 20.00!) and I can't help but be curious about the multiplayer aspect which sounded cool on paper but I would like to hear any testimony if possible.

EDIT: Actually, if anyone can recommend other good group games, I'd like to hear that too. I usually have anywhere between 3 - 5 people for Wii U nights, so if there's any stand out games, I'm interested.

The ZombiU Multiplayer is incredibly cool. It is unfortunately 1v1, and I want a 1v4 version of it because it would be loving sick as hell.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Silver Falcon posted:

What?! I thought they said at E3 that it would have online play! Please be wrong. :ohdear: That was one of the things I was most looking forward to about the game!

I don't think it's been confirmed either way. There's a Nintendo Network logo on the box, but it might just indicate the costume DLC.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

ZombieU is priced at £9.99 in my local supermarket (it's been that price for months) i havent picked it up because i figured there was a reason it was £9.99 while everything else was about £45 :/

Also, the demo was a bit lame. The game was way too dark and i still couldn't see anything while the curtains were drawn. Is it actually on ok game? I might grab it this weekend if it's worth a tenner.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I like ZombiU a lot. It is a survival horror game and is often brutally unforgiving. I liked it.

If you want a zany as hell multiplayer game, Spin The Bottle is a good eshop game. It is best coupled with drinking.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kin posted:

ZombieU is priced at £9.99 in my local supermarket (it's been that price for months) i havent picked it up because i figured there was a reason it was £9.99 while everything else was about £45 :/

Also, the demo was a bit lame. The game was way too dark and i still couldn't see anything while the curtains were drawn. Is it actually on ok game? I might grab it this weekend if it's worth a tenner.

It's worth the $10 in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not sure what box art you're looking at but this one has it.

• Locked thread