Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

But Robocop 2014 is totally the former and not the latter? It's about as different a direction as you could go from the original while still being about a cop named Alex Murphy that gets turned into Robocop, yet it's completely faithful to the original by being a satire of the law enforcement and corporate culture of the time period the movie was made in.

If anything most of the complaints I've heard about Robocop 2014 were that it didn't copy the original enough, especially the lack of a Clarence Boddicker-style villain.

One subtle thing I loved about Robocop 2014 was the way that they handled the Robocop suit. For filming they actually had the dude wear a suit so you get the benefit of both him and the people he's acting with having a physical prop to interact with, but they also used the suit for performance-capture and did a CGI composite so that his dimensions are subtly inhuman and too narrow to be a guy in a suit. It's a seamless effect that they pulled off really well.

"uh, they won't be able to see that mouth thing your doing in the movie"

I finally watched Robert Cop 2014, and I didn't mind it. I stopped paying attention after like 40 minutes, but the beginning was good. I gotta stop listening to RLM so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Re robocop i thought id post as ive just finished seeing it like 5 mins ago. There were loads of callbacks, the 'duh da da da duhh da da da duhhhhh' music and 'dead or alive you are coming with me' etc. Cant really think of anything much more subtle in there. It was alright if you have a couple of hours to waste. The loads of ed-209's were quite cool.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Entrapment, when Katherine Zeta Jones puts in the code to steal the Rembrandt from the skyscraper in the opening scene it's 1007, which could stand for 'LOOT' in leetspeak.

Or I could be reading too much into it.

Linus Balto
Nov 23, 2009
The '1007' might just be as simple as noticing the '007' part. Sean Connery. James Bond.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Linus Balto posted:

The '1007' might just be as simple as noticing the '007' part. Sean Connery. James Bond.

Wow. I feel more dumb than usual.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

KoRMaK posted:

"uh, they won't be able to see that mouth thing your doing in the movie"

I finally watched Robert Cop 2014, and I didn't mind it. I stopped paying attention after like 40 minutes, but the beginning was good. I gotta stop listening to RLM so much.

I watch RLM more for entertainment than I do for their reviews, although their BotW impressions are pretty spot on.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

...of SCIENCE! posted:

But Robocop 2014 is totally the former and not the latter? It's about as different a direction as you could go from the original while still being about a cop named Alex Murphy that gets turned into Robocop, yet it's completely faithful to the original by being a satire of the law enforcement and corporate culture of the time period the movie was made in.

I think the best description of it is that the original is about a robot realising it's human, and the recent one is a human realising he's a robot.

quote:

One subtle thing I loved about Robocop 2014 was the way that they handled the Robocop suit. For filming they actually had the dude wear a suit so you get the benefit of both him and the people he's acting with having a physical prop to interact with, but they also used the suit for performance-capture and did a CGI composite so that his dimensions are subtly inhuman and too narrow to be a guy in a suit. It's a seamless effect that they pulled off really well.

That's a really nice, subtle effect. I think Weller did the movements better though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about the new movie was hearing Keaton bitch out the lead guy for whining about wearing a segmented rubber costume where he could at least turn his head.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Q for people who like subtle stuff in movies: Django Unchained.

From reading interviews and reviews, I understood that the thing with the Candyland plan was that they weren't planning to actually buy a fighter - they were going to make that suggestion, get a "freebie" in the person of Django's wife, then run away.

Is that something that's actually explained in the movie, or just an implication someone read into it?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
That was Dr. Schultz's scheme and he explicitly states it. He explains it with the metaphor about pretending to buy a farmer's farm when you only want the horse.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

RJWaters2 posted:

That was Dr. Schultz's scheme and he explicitly states it. He explains it with the metaphor about pretending to buy a farmer's farm when you only want the horse.
I don't recall the "pretending" part. IIRC, the speech went "you offer to buy the cow and horse both" or whatever, without ever going into "once you have the horse, you ride it off into the sunset".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I don't recall the "pretending" part. IIRC, the speech went "you offer to buy the cow and horse both" or whatever, without ever going into "once you have the horse, you ride it off into the sunset".

Then rewatch it I guess?

This is literally one of the major plot points. In some ways it could be seen as the main it of the movie and it is explicitly stated. It's the literal opposite of a subtle movie moment.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
If I remember the plan well enough, they were going to promise to buy the fighter for a ridiculous sum but the large amount of money would require several days' wait while Schultz's (probably nonexistent) lawyer worked out the details. In the meantime, they would pay the relatively small kicker for Broomhilda in cash and immediately abscond with her leaving Candy to realize he's never going to see a dime from them for his fighter.

They knew Candy would never just sell Broomhilda for the amount of cash they were offering because such a small transaction wouldn't be worth his time*. By making him an offer he couldn't ignore they got their foot in the door.

* That and he's a manipulative rear end in a top hat who needs to feel in control of everyone around him, much like Schultz's character in Inglourious Basterds. The irony is that really he's being controlled behind the scenes by Stephen and is generally too stupid to realize it. The scene where they chastise Schultz for speaking French around him because it would embarass the self-professed Francophile who doesn't even understand the language or know fact one about his favorite French author says it all.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

nucleicmaxid posted:

Then rewatch it I guess?

This is literally one of the major plot points. In some ways it could be seen as the main it of the movie and it is explicitly stated. It's the literal opposite of a subtle movie moment.

Yes but where is it explained that he was a slave is this mentioned in some subtle moment or is it just some crazy fan theory also why do people call him Django as if that was his name?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

Then rewatch it I guess?

I have. Just now. (Wow, so much unwarranted smugness from everyone replying)

They don't believe Candace is going to sell them Brumhilda, so they're going to pretend to be interested in Mandingo fighting, offer to buy a fighter and get a "free" slave thrown in. This is not the part I didn't understand, just in case you're confused.

I can't spot the part where they're not planning to actually pay for the fighter, and are planning to abscond with Django's wife instead, either in the script or the movie. In fact, doing so seems a bit counterproductive, as she would then be considered a runaway slave, rather than lawful property for them to set free at their leisure.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Jul 2, 2014

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Xander77 posted:

I have. Just now. (Wow, so much unwarranted smugness from everyone replying)

They don't believe Candace is going to sell them Brumhilda, so they're going to pretend to be interested in Mandingo fighting, offer to buy a fighter and get a "free" slave thrown in. This is not the part I didn't understand, just in case you're confused.

I can't spot the part where they're not planning to actually pay for the fighter, and are planning to abscond with Django's wife instead, either in the script or the movie. In fact, doing so seems a bit counterproductive, as she would then be considered a runaway slave, rather than lawful property for them to set free at their leisure.

No. They get the signature for her freedom. It happens right in the scene before everything goes to poo poo. Candy signs and has to goad Schultz again to prove he's better than him and forces him to shake his hand.

They get her under the promise they'll come back and buy a prize fighter. Candy signs the document marking her as a free woman. Candy, Django and Broomhilda would've left and just never come back and there was nothing that Candy could do. Django and Broomhilda would both be considered free people.

It's one of the darkest jokes in the movie for me that they're able to obtain her so easily. Candy literally couldn't give a poo poo about Broomhilda.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

No. They get the signature for her freedom. It happens right in the scene before everything goes to poo poo. Candy signs and has to goad Schultz again to prove he's better than him and forces him to shake his hand.

They get her under the promise they'll come back and buy a prize fighter. Candy signs the document marking her as a free woman. Candy, Django and Broomhilda would've left and just never come back and there was nothing that Candy could do. Django and Broomhilda would both be considered free people.

It's one of the darkest jokes in the movie for me that they're able to obtain her so easily. Candy literally couldn't give a poo poo about Broomhilda.
Oh. I re-watched / read the wrong part then.

Just to be sure, is that something mentioned in the planning "buy a farm" stage, or just implied when they're about to leave with Broomhilda?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its an issue I never thought about because once they have the paperwork for Broomhilda what reason would they have for coming back and giving Candie jack-poo poo? I just made the assumption that of course they were going to rip him off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Oh. I re-watched / read the wrong part then.

Just to be sure, is that something mentioned in the planning "buy a farm" stage, or just implied when they're about to leave with Broomhilda?

I don't think Django or Schultz ever says it explicitly, but Stephen actually does when he tells Candie he's been duped.

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah, the original plan was to say "Okay, we'll be back in a few days with an official contract and $12000. Meanwhile here's some petty cash for this slave that reminds me of my home country."

Stephen clues Candie in, and he then demands the $12000 right then and there for Broomhilda only. Schultz actually agrees to this and all the proper papers are signed.

Then Candie continues to push him and it all goes bad. The papers exist and are signed by the proper parties though, so after the events of the movie she's still not a runaway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea they are pretty much about to walk out of there with Broomhilda but then Candie can't resist rubbing it in Schultz' face, and Schultz can't bring himself to just shake his hand and leave it at that.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It was really the most suspenseful moment in movie history for me.

:argh:: I found out your plan give me the money!
:geno:: Ok.
:argh:: Thank you.

I was worried that the main characters who had wealth beyond measure wouldn't be able to afford such a price.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Basebf555 posted:

Yea they are pretty much about to walk out of there with Broomhilda but then Candie can't resist rubbing it in Schultz' face, and Schultz can't bring himself to just shake his hand and leave it at that.

What's great is that earlier in the film Schultz had hammered home to Django that they needed to fully occupy their parts to get what they wanted, and Django took that to heart while Schultz repeatedly fucks up and breaks character - the flogging scene in particular. If he'd swallowed his pride and let Candie one-up him then they could have left peacefully with Broomhilda and it wouldn't have taken them long at all to build up their money again given the excellent working relationship he and Django had as bounty hunters. But no, he just couldn't bring himself to do it, while the guy who had the legitimate grievance - Django - is able to maintain his composure and was more than willing to play along with Candie in order to get his wife back.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

...If he'd swallowed his pride and let Candie one-up him ...

I'm not convinced it was a pride issue- I always got the sense that Schultz had simply reached his limit on how much horror he could witness and that Candie's sadism made him a monster he had to kill. His discipline held out only until he had to treat Candie with respect.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Django spent his life as a slave, of course he knows how to play along with poo poo and keep his head down. Schultz is a free white man and has never had to do that. No wonder Django comes out on top when it comes to dealing with a slave owner.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's not exactly all that subtle, but in Gran Torino, Clint reads his horroscope out of the paper.

"our birthday today, Daisy. This year you have to make a choice between two life paths. Second chances comes your way. Extraordinary events culminate in what might seem to be an anticlimax. Your lucky numbers are 84, 23, 11, 78, and 99. What a load of poo poo."

Which of course is exactly how the movie turns out

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

What's great is that earlier in the film Schultz had hammered home to Django that they needed to fully occupy their parts to get what they wanted, and Django took that to heart while Schultz repeatedly fucks up and breaks character - the flogging scene in particular. If he'd swallowed his pride and let Candie one-up him then they could have left peacefully with Broomhilda and it wouldn't have taken them long at all to build up their money again given the excellent working relationship he and Django had as bounty hunters. But no, he just couldn't bring himself to do it, while the guy who had the legitimate grievance - Django - is able to maintain his composure and was more than willing to play along with Candie in order to get his wife back.

I like the actual shooting bit for this exact reason. Django has been able to hold it together under incredible pressure, while Schultz just breaks because Candy is such a loving poo poo - and apologises for it, and dies for it.

Schultz has a legitimate grievance, but it's not personal, it's ethical and moral. At that moment, he simply cannot let Candy live. Not because he doesn't want to get the better of him, but because Schultz finds Candy's existence a personal insult to his morality. Same with shooting the proto-klan.

edit:

burnsep posted:

I'm not convinced it was a pride issue- I always got the sense that Schultz had simply reached his limit on how much horror he could witness and that Candie's sadism made him a monster he had to kill. His discipline held out only until he had to treat Candie with respect.

Yes, this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
In regards to Django Unchianed, I wondered about the fact that there's an American who is a complete Francophile and a German pretending to be one and whether that was a commentary on the relations that those populations had, throughout the 20th (Germans) and 21st (Americans) centuries.

Probably just me reading too much into it.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
It's because the director is so juvenile about his casting choices that he allows them to dictate major elements of his movies, mostly.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

juche mane posted:

It's because the director is so juvenile about his casting choices that he allows them to dictate major elements of his movies, mostly.

Well, those same casting decisions have also resulted in two Academy awards, so it's hard to argue they don't get results.

E: Also, :lol: at the dude who made up a fake poop story to troll the medical advice thread calling someone else "juvenile" :ironicat:

Nikaer Drekin has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Jul 5, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Schultz's presence in the movie isn't too out of place. Around that time, central Texas had a large community of German immigrants, many of which were anti-slavery.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

juche mane posted:

What are you talking about?
You can throw a lot of shut at Quentin Tarantino but his casting is always great.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

What are you talking about?
You can throw a lot of shut at Quentin Tarantino but his casting is always great.

I don't think he was making GBS threads on Tarantino's casting. I think he was saying that the movie and plot elements are built around the actors Tarantino has already decided to cast, rather than writing a movie then finding actors who fit the roles. I am not sure why this is supposed to be juvenile or bad in some way. If that's what Tarantino is doing, I wish more people would do it, because his movie's are generally awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Except Tarantino didn't write all those roles for certain actors. Django is actually kind of famous for its casting issues.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I kinda put Tarantino and Seth MacFarlane in the same category of people that are personally twats, but professionally really incredible at what they do. The end of Something Somethign Dark Side where they poo poo on MacFarlane is so on the nose, he really is just a someplete whore with his intellectual property but god damnit he writes some funny TV and movies. Tarantino is just bug-gently caress crazy in person but makes some of the most iconic, gripping cinema.

For content, I just watched the first Back to the Future last night, and there are so many little jokes in there. The Twin Pines Mall becoming Lone Pine Mall, is probably the most subtle because it's a two-part blink-and-you'll-miss-it on opposite ends of the movie.

Also holy poo poo Lea Thompson is a stone cold fox.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Maybe I'm late to the party realizing this but in The Shawshank Redeption when Andy's cell gets tossed he's already started digging his way to freedom. The Warden mentions that he's happy to see a bible in Andy's cell and they chit chat about it. On their way out, the warden almost forgets to give Andy his bible back passing it through the bars saying "Salvation lies within"; which is where Andy keeps his digging tool.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Except Tarantino didn't write all those roles for certain actors. Django is actually kind of famous for its casting issues.

What? What's wrong with the casting? I've never heard a bad word about it.

Do you mean how it was gonna be Will Smith, but he dropped out? Movies get recast all the time, bro.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Unmature posted:

Do you mean how it was gonna be Will Smith, but he dropped out? Movies get recast all the time, bro.

Recasting can pose its own set of problems, so you could call those problems 'casting issues'. I don't think muscles like this? implied it to reflect badly on Tarantino or the movie.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Ruse posted:

Maybe I'm late to the party realizing this but in The Shawshank Redeption when Andy's cell gets tossed he's already started digging his way to freedom. The Warden mentions that he's happy to see a bible in Andy's cell and they chit chat about it. On their way out, the warden almost forgets to give Andy his bible back passing it through the bars saying "Salvation lies within"; which is where Andy keeps his digging tool.

This is so subtle that they included an entire scene where he opens the bible and there is a message written from Andy that says "You were right, Salvation did lie within" you obtuse gently caress

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unmature posted:

I mean stuff like how Kurt Russel, Kevin Costner, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Sacha Baron Cohen were all supposed to be in the movie, bro. Or how Jonah Hill was in the movie, quit and then came back. Or how Tarantino got so tired of people quitting the movie that he started cutting and combining characters instead of recasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Unmature posted:

Quentin has mentioned that he specifically wrote the part with Smith in mind, though. Not just a usual recast.