Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Suqit posted:

A good example of a manager making a difference is Mexico this year. Mexico barely qualified out of Concacaf, behind team Honduras. They were playing terribly and the entire organization was in disarray. After hiring Herrera, they started playing better and were a completely different team.

At this stage of quality a lot of it boils down to how players respect the manager and how they can motivate them to play their best.
this is true and they definitely respected him much more, but he was also tactically fantastic. he got the team passing and controlling the ball and creating these beautiful one touch moves where as it seemed like they could only pass backwards or go direct before. i thought they were playing the best tactical football in the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Furious Lobster posted:

Are there are any world class goalies left in the upcoming WC matches? I asked before about top defenders and am looking forward to seeing Kompany in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEEyHcGkp7A

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

toanoradian posted:

With the topic of managers/coaches' roles, is there a good source for examples of what a great manager/coach do to his team?

Otto Rehhagel won Euro 2004 with loving Greece (150-1 odds) by getting the best out of a group of very limited players and being willing to adapt his strategy completely around what he had rather than what he wanted. It was dire and awful to watch, but as a managerial feat it was brilliant.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

JFairfax posted:

I think this clearly demonstrates which is the best league in the world...

MLS, better than the Eredivisie, Championship, and Brazilian Serie A. A World Cup mod confirming what we all knew on these, the most troll-free forums on the web.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Nostradingus posted:

Someone told me that De Gea is the best keeper in the world and I did a lol for ages.

He's probably going to be Spain's number one from this point forward, all told, on the basis that he's going to be the only one available in four or eight years time. Valdes and Reina will weep tiny tears in the dugout.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

was there at one point a referee who hung out by the goals?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lee Tunnell posted:

Some leagues and competitions have refs behind the goal line that were brought in to basically do what the Goal Line Technology does now. It doesn't work and they still gently caress everything up and are blind to penalties they should be seeing.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Lee Tunnell posted:

They did this after WC2010, when there was a big outcry for goal line tech after England vs Germany game, where a goal for England was disallowed even though it was across the line.

So they had them in Euro 2012. Except during a match between England and Ukraine (someone correct me here), England defender John Terry kicked a ball out of the goal that was like a foot over the line, right in front of the goal line ref, and he didn't rule it a goal.

So after that they decided that goal line tech was a must.

edit: yeah it was england vs ukraine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_Group_D#England_vs_Ukraine

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Also they are literally the most useless things ever and still clear penalties are missed.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The AARs are very helpful actually. GLT + AAR I think would be quite nice.

edit

:siren:I can't check this link at work so be careful:siren:
That said, BigSoccer referee forum has this link as a Sky Sports special that Collina did which was pretty interesting about AARs. It's like 75 minutes but worth a watch.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/collina-sky-sports-special.2005402/#post-30291926 has the OP withthe link that I can't check but claims to be the SkySports Special about AARs with Collina.

doubleedit'd out the link, you can click through to get it off BS rather than me leaving it here

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 30, 2014

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Another aspect of goalkeeping that I haven't seen mentioned here is distribution. Having a keeper who can hit long balls quickly and accurately is a really rare skill when combined with all the other attributes of a top keeper. Neuer has hit some really nice passes tonight by way of example.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

chaoslord posted:

The AARs are very helpful actually. GLT + AAR I think would be quite nice.

What does AAR stand for? A quick googling leads nowhere.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Some leagues and competitions have refs behind the goal line that were brought in to basically do what the Goal Line Technology does now. It doesn't work and they still gently caress everything up and are blind to penalties they should be seeing.

Exhibit 1:

It was a final and this was ruled as not in.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

toanoradian posted:

What does AAR stand for? A quick googling leads nowhere.

Additional assistant referee

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

greazeball posted:

Another aspect of goalkeeping that I haven't seen mentioned here is distribution. Having a keeper who can hit long balls quickly and accurately is a really rare skill when combined with all the other attributes of a top keeper. Neuer has hit some really nice passes tonight by way of example.

My favorite part of the Donovan goal vs Algeria in 2010 was the throw from Howard. He identified the opportunity immediately and threw the ball perfectly to hit Landon in stride.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do you get suspended for two yellow cards in consecutive games or can it be two yellow cards over the course of the tournament in general?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Is there a football version of the Sports-Reference sites, i.e. Basketball-Reference, Baseball-Reference? For example, I wanted to see how far exactly Wenger ran Özil into the ground last season versus his seasons at Real Madrid, but the closest info I got was Özil's actual website.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do you get suspended for two yellow cards in consecutive games or can it be two yellow cards over the course of the tournament in general?

Across the tournament, but after the quarter-finals they will zero the yellow cards of everyone who has one (so no player can be excluded from the final by getting a second yellow in the semis).

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

the posted:

They did this after WC2010, when there was a big outcry for goal line tech after England vs Germany game, where a goal for England was disallowed even though it was across the line.

I had no idea about this, that's interesting. I can understand why it didn't work - Australian football has had goal umpires for over a century but the following kind of thing still happens (the goal umpire is the man in yellow):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nblq0XYR2Z8&t=37s

In AFL a match is rarely decided by less than a goal so it's not as big an issue, but people still call for technology to handle it. Possibly more complicated though since there's no crossbar and the ball is also not allowed to touch the post on the way through.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

JFairfax posted:

If anyone is interested here is a list of the top 25 most represented leagues at the world cup (as of the start of the group stages) I think this clearly demonstrates which is the best league in the world...

19 Serie A Brazil (10 of 10)

I don't understand this, does Brazil really not have their own league that is popular? Are the other leagues that much of a powerhouse that they take all the Brazilians? When I think of Brazil I think football. How are they so football crazy if their own league isn't top tier?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Pizza Club posted:

I don't understand this, does Brazil really not have their own league that is popular? Are the other leagues that much of a powerhouse that they take all the Brazilians? When I think of Brazil I think football. How are they so football crazy if their own league isn't top tier?

Yes, the big European leagues really are that much of a powerhouse. It's the same way very few world-class basketball players will play in their home leagues rather than the NBA. Brazilian teams cannot afford to pay players the tens of millions of dollars that the big European teams can.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yes, the big European leagues really are that much of a powerhouse. It's the same way very few world-class basketball players will play in their home leagues rather than the NBA. Brazilian teams cannot afford to pay players the tens of millions of dollars that the big European teams can.

Certain clubs can afford to pay certain players an absolute boatload to stay (see Neymar until Barcelona got their hands on him), but it usually involves dodgy agents owning a % of the player and a lot of sponsorship dealings.

Brazilian clubs aren't pushovers and can demand huge fees for their top players. It's kinda like Russian football only some people actually watch it.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

is this the best world cup ever? a friend asked me if this was the best the tournament had to offer and I had no clue. I started watching with Euro 2008 and I think this has been better than everything inbetween

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Lee Tunnell posted:

is this the best world cup ever? a friend asked me if this was the best the tournament had to offer and I had no clue. I started watching with Euro 2008 and I think this has been better than everything inbetween

Words like "best" are inherently subjective, and Brazil could still win, but the answer is probably yes. Definitely through this same point.

In before another English lad starts talking about 1966.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
1998 was imo the best of my lifetime so far and I think this will end up better unless it completely fizzes out towards the end

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
A physiologist has claimed the really hot weather and humidity is responsible for all the goals because it causes players to make loads of errors and not be able to close down as well as normal

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Jose posted:

A physiologist has claimed the really hot weather and humidity is responsible for all the goals because it causes players to make loads of errors and not be able to close down as well as normal

Sepp was right about Qatar all along

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lee Tunnell posted:

I've watched since USA 1994 (though I was 6 years old so I don't really remember much) and this is the best World Cup I've seen, although France 98 is a very close second.

SA 2010 was loving awful and the worst of all-time.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 2, 2014

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

I thought 2006 was really good in the knockout stages and 2002 had a lot of really good games but it was just on at the worst possible times

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

TelekineticBear! posted:

I thought 2006 was really good in the knockout stages and 2002 had a lot of really good games but it was just on at the worst possible times

Yeah, but those times were responsible for being able to watch an England game at school.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On the other hand this year's games are absolutely atrocious for Asian viewers. Clearly the solution is to have two antipodes co-host the games so everybody gets to watch some football.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Just have Greenwich host every world cup

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Frankston posted:

SA 2010 was loving awful and the worst of all-time.

I'm sorry, this forums had always been awful since 1999 :v:

But seriously, what makes the 2010 FIFA World Cup so awful? The only exposure I have of that World Cup is:
1. The vuvuzelas
2. That clip from Daily Show after England vs. USA ended in a draw
3. My friend claiming Brazil's a bit poo poo then compared to previous World Cups.
4. Spain won! Yaaay to Spain?

From MDTs I've read it seems that SA 2010 has a small number of goals. Is that one of the reasons?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 2, 2014

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

toanoradian posted:

But seriously, what makes the 2010 FIFA World Cup so awful? The only exposure I have of that World Cup is:
1. The vuvuzelas
3. My friend claiming Brazil's a bit poo poo then compared to previous World Cups.

From MDTs I've read it seems that SA 2010 has a small number of goals. Is that one of the reasons?

tika taka and vuvuzelas

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Paddyb posted:

tika taka and vuvuzelas

Also South Africa.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
France imploding was p cool

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

And Nelson Mandela

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
WAKA WAKA

HEY HEY

THIS TIME FOR AFRICA

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Also when I was at this wannabe posh pub to watch the England Algeria match and Sean Lock and Lee Mack were there and I was really drunk and started heckling them but they ignored me and my mate told me to sit down and shut up. That was p cool too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

toanoradian posted:

1. The vuvuzelas

the ball was super-smooth and was blamed for being really really hard to control, leading to fewer goals and more balls flying out of play ten feet over the bar

• Locked thread