Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I heard Hummels has the flu, so he prbably won't play next game? That's a shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

What is up with Özil? He's been playing like his confidence has been destroyed.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Koesj posted:

The gently caress's wrong with that Bela something something guy he was so smugly negative.

I guess someone has noticed that Bela Rethy is complete poo poo and in matches with Germany you can now switch to language 2, for a play by play commentary with two radio dudes. I have watched the last two matches with their commentary and it's way better. In the last match they where constantly making GBS threads on Germany and getting increasingly desperate. :allears:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If Klose doesn't break the record in this Cup I'm gonna cry.

GIVE HIM A CHANCE, LOW

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Stroop There It Is posted:

What is up with Özil? He's been playing like his confidence has been destroyed.

there's been lots written about this, his form at Arsenal hasn't been great either. Judging by the performance yesterday that's justified. Not sure that confidence is the problem either. He's just not that good (anymore?).

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

the posted:

If Klose doesn't break the record in this Cup I'm gonna cry.

GIVE HIM A CHANCE, LOW

I understand not putting him in yesterday, the subs were needed elsewhere, but for France, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :qq:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Just going to quote myself here

elbkaida posted:

But there really needs to be more of a threat upfront. 13 shots to one goal is not a good ratio.

Throwing away really good chances made that game unnecessarily close. Could have been a comfortable 2:0 at full time, but nooooo, everybody just shoots/heads straight at the keeper. The guy had some great saves too, but come on.
First 20 minutes were a bit poo poo, but then the team adapted and started dominating. Algeria weren't too much of a threat when it comes to scoring either luckily.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
German press seems quite annoyed with Per speaking his mind. Even die Berliner Zeitung wasn't too happy with him.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

gently caress the press, he was right.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Enigma89 posted:

German press seems quite annoyed with Per speaking his mind. Even die Berliner Zeitung wasn't too happy with him.

It's just the lovely garbage papers printed for idiots who are bitching about it. This is the only piece worth reading:

http://www.zeit.de/kultur/2014-07/mertesacker-wutausbruch-interview-fussball

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't even get these post-game interview with sometimes still panting players, they add nothing of value. Interviewing the managers is often a bit more interesting (especially when Kloppo freaks out again :3:). But sometimes you have the same non-answers from them as the players give. Leave the people alone and give them a day to work out what went wrong/right. Stupid journalists.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

elbkaida posted:

Just going to quote myself here

Throwing away really good chances made that game unnecessarily close. Could have been a comfortable 2:0 at full time, but nooooo, everybody just shoots/heads straight at the keeper. The guy had some great saves too, but come on.
First 20 minutes were a bit poo poo, but then the team adapted and started dominating. Algeria weren't too much of a threat when it comes to scoring either luckily.

the only reason algeria wasn't a big threat was because of Manuel Neuer, the best goalkeeper in the world and also, apparently, the best defender in all of Germany. But with a team that has a more delicate touch than long passes the striker has to run like hell for, even Neuer won't save the whole game.

Germany looks a bit weak imo; Algeria were very challenging but let's be frank here, Germany should not have had so much trouble - Algeria's actions looked much more menacing than theirs for a very large slice of the match.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 2, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Torrannor posted:

I don't even get these post-game interview with sometimes still panting players, they add nothing of value. Interviewing the managers is often a bit more interesting (especially when Kloppo freaks out again :3:). But sometimes you have the same non-answers from them as the players give. Leave the people alone and give them a day to work out what went wrong/right. Stupid journalists.

Or you get this

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

dex_sda posted:

the only reason algeria wasn't a big threat was because of Manuel Neuer, the best goalkeeper in the world and also, apparently, the best defender in all of Germany. But with a team that has a more delicate touch than long passes the striker has to run like hell for, even Neuer won't save the whole game.

the solution seems to be clear then:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Teron D Amun posted:

i am okay with this

i wish more keepers were like neuer

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Teron D Amun posted:

You missed Manuel Neuer, Chancellor of Germany.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Add this to the OP, OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuxghiwjgQc

"Football play we better than you!"

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Germany really should be starting Schurrle, without Reus in the side they don't have anyone that will run in behind defences and then they just look like Spain circa the last few years.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

is there a goalkeeper appreciation thread? there should be a goalkeeper appreciation thread imo.

az
Dec 2, 2005

ephex posted:

"Football play we better than you!"

New thread title for the league thread.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

It's just the lovely garbage papers printed for idiots who are bitching about it. This is the only piece worth reading:

Haha, the author is called Hugendick.

I agree with his article though. The post-match questions are always so annoying. C'mon, the dude just ran around for 90 minutes, let him go sit down and out of his sweaty shirt.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 2, 2014

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...frankreich.html

So much for that I guess. Höwedes will continue to be useless as LB and since Mustafi is injured, who the hell is gonna start on RB? Boateng should start as FB again since Hummels is still down with the flu apparently.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Katana Gomai posted:

joachim-loew-steht-zu-entscheidung-ueber-joachim-loew

Guess someone hadn't had a cup of coffee yet

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Katana Gomai posted:

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...frankreich.html

So much for that I guess. Höwedes will continue to be useless as LB and since Mustafi is injured, who the hell is gonna start on RB? Boateng should start as FB again since Hummels is still down with the flu apparently.

I read somewhere that Lahm refused to go back to being a RB, was that only useless internet speculation or is it true? It would probably explain quite a bit, though I cannot really believe it.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Torrannor posted:

I read somewhere that Lahm refused to go back to being a RB, was that only useless internet speculation or is it true? It would probably explain quite a bit, though I cannot really believe it.

That's what I've heard as well.

As always, blame Pep.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Torrannor posted:

Edit:should've scrolled down before replying.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Katana Gomai posted:

I like die Berliner Zeitung :smith:

Katana Gomai posted:

Hummels is still down with the flu apparently.

TRINKT DAS WASSER NICHT :negative:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

They're in no way an authority on football, though. Or anything really, come to think of it. (Also their subscription hawkers out on the street are the loving worst)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Good news, apparently I was wrong and Hummels will start on Friday.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Katana Gomai posted:

Good news, apparently I was wrong and Hummels will start on Friday.

I wish Lahm would start.

At RB.

Little loving moron.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Hmm, give up defensive stability in mid and play Kroos/Schweinsteiger/Khedira so one side has an actual fullback, or risk problems on the wings so loving Mertesacker doesn't get exposed every two minutes?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Things did go a lot more smoothly once he switched back. Grow some balls, Jogi!

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Eh, Boateng is a good RB and Höwedes was only bad against Algeria, he did fine in the group stage matches.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

antidote posted:

Things did go a lot more smoothly once he switched back. Grow some balls, Jogi!

Once the Mustafi swap happened Algeria had free reign through the middle on counters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Healbot posted:

Hmm, give up defensive stability in mid and play Kroos/Schweinsteiger/Khedira so one side has an actual fullback, or risk problems on the wings so loving Mertesacker doesn't get exposed every two minutes?

Not play a high line if you have to play the slowest defender ever?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Dunban posted:

Eh, Boateng is a good RB and Höwedes was only bad against Algeria, he did fine in the group stage matches.

The problem is that Höwedes creates nothing on offense, which means there's one less option the opponent has to be ready for.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I would absolutely love to see Durm play on the left, but I guess now it is too late in the tournament to make big changes like this? Boateng out on the right vs Benzema is probably not a bad thing though.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is it bad that I miss Metzelder, someone hold me :negative:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
It's a bit like missing Carsten Jancker, I feel you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Enigma89 posted:

Is it bad that I miss Metzelder, someone hold me :negative:

He used to be real good in 2002 and then after the long injury break he was still alright. In his prime a better centre back then Boateng now imo.

• Locked thread