Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There's someone on my uni mailing list called Russell Sprouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
One of the people I work with has a last name of Clithero, and whenever I see it, I have to suppress a giggle.

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004
I used to work with a Bill Shitler, lovely, lovely man, but wow, that's just a double-whammy of awful surnames

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Psychomax posted:

I also met a "Chris Dragon" at a fundraiser for a children's charity. At the time I was about 15, and I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard. When I met him again several years later, I was a little more world weary and understood that it was kind of a red flag for a fully grown man to wear outlandish dragon t-shirts every single day (or at least on the two days that I met him, some 3 years apart). When I looked him up, he turned out to be the webmaster of the "largest community of otherkin dragons on the internet." Go figure.

My sixth grade teacher was named Mr. Dragon. Can't remember his first name, but it wasn't anything funny as I recall. I was always jealous 'cause my last name was Shewmaker and I got made fun of constantly for it. No one would gently caress with a Dragon!

Oh, one time I met a kid named Gannon, NOT named after the video game character. His mom's maiden name was Gann and so his name was short for "Gann goes on" according to her.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

This guy in the store was named Skooptny

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Astrofig posted:

Not so terrible perhaps, but I work with a Kiana. She is whiter than bleached milk, incidentally.

My grandfather's second wife is named LaRayna. They were apparently going for 'La Reina'---'the Queen' in Spanish---but also her father's name was Ray, you see so,......

I tried to google up the origin of Kiana and everywhere I looked said it was derived from an Irish Gaelic name. What other color should she be?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I tried to google up the origin of Kiana and everywhere I looked said it was derived from an Irish Gaelic name. What other color should she be?

That may be my own inherent racism in play, admittedly---to me, Kiana sounds like a stereotypically black name. I'm much ashamed of and working on it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
In elementary school I knew a Sade, pronounced shah-DAY. Half white half Pacific Islander, I think (I grew up in Hawaii). Nobody dared tease her for it though, because her uncle was Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Not kidding. He visited once and blew eight-year-old me's mind.

In high school I was vaguely acquainted with an Ian Schools, which was completely unremarkable. I had no idea Ian wasn't his full name until graduation, when they called his full name: Christian Schools. Ouch.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

In elementary school I knew a Sade, pronounced shah-DAY.

I know a Finnish girl called Sade. Apparently it's a fairly common name in Finland. It's pronounced sort of like SAH-deh.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
These names are all pretty much normal, but... like, what?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There's common family names and then there's really common family names. Alternatively someone at the print shop hosed up. Could go either way.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That phenomenon was already doable in my Oregon suburban high school yearbook, and that's approaching a decade ago. I'm sure it's even more common now.

Maybe hyphenated last names will take a boost in the upcoming American generations.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

In elementary school I knew a Sade, pronounced shah-DAY. Half white half Pacific Islander, I think (I grew up in Hawaii). Nobody dared tease her for it though, because her uncle was Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Not kidding. He visited once and blew eight-year-old me's mind.

Sounds like a real Smooth Operator.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Sade (shah-DAY) Baderinwa is one of the newscasters on our evening news hereabouts. I never thought of it as being a strange name because I've grown up with her just being there on the news all the time.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Sadé is a pretty common girl's name, especially among black girls who were born in the 80's. We had enough girls called Sadé at my high school that they had to be identified by first name and last initial. I've never really thought of it as weird, though. :shrug: It was just one of those names like "Caitlin" and "Jessica" that loving everyone had.

TMDTN
Oct 10, 2005
This Mixed Drink Tastes Nasty...
I went to elementary, middle and high school with a girl named Porsche, and she said she had a sister named Mercedes.

Say Nothing posted:

These names are all pretty much normal, but... like, what?

I never got a yearbook, but there were 3 pages of Lopez, page and a half of Martinez, etc. Central Florida.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

A guy I dated a long time ago worked as a network admin for a school district, and at one point I helped him image all the lab and classroom computers in an elementary school. In one of the first or second grade classrooms, the kids' names were on cute nametags up on the wall. One of the names was "Conifer." Presumably some parent somewhere thought that it sounded cute, like Jennifer or something, but it'd certainly be a little odd to go through life knowing you were named after a type of tree.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
I once delivered a free bible to a woman named Tanya Spiderman.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KillerEggplant posted:

A guy I dated a long time ago worked as a network admin for a school district, and at one point I helped him image all the lab and classroom computers in an elementary school. In one of the first or second grade classrooms, the kids' names were on cute nametags up on the wall. One of the names was "Conifer." Presumably some parent somewhere thought that it sounded cute, like Jennifer or something, but it'd certainly be a little odd to go through life knowing you were named after a type of tree.

Lots of tree names out there. Willow, Ash, etc.

Conifer is a stretch but at least its not deciduous

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Lots of tree names out there. Willow, Ash, etc.

Conifer is a stretch but at least its not deciduous

As odd names go, it's not too bad. But how would you ever decid u ou someone that name?

... I'm sorry. I'll leave.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Dogan posted:

I once delivered a free bible to a woman named Tanya Spiderman.

My example is less funny but you reminded me of a book I read for school and one of the people cited/referred to was "Emmanuel Snowman."

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Want to meet that snowman.

mamelon has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Apr 7, 2015

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I know a Randy Bush.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Saw a sign for a business called Boring Realty, apparently owned by one BJ Boring.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

In the eighties, a relative of mine had a business where many, many names were encountered. A list was kept of the best names. I still remember the top two, and now am on a hunt to find who ended up with the list when the business folded.

Tammy Delight Fizzylitch
Boonride Tangsome Batvisit

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

TMDTN posted:

I went to elementary, middle and high school with a girl named Porsche, and she said she had a sister named Mercedes.

There was a girl in one of my college classes named Mercedes and the teacher would always call her Buick.

Also, my roommate recently met the manager of one of the other stores of the company he works for, and his name was Richard Face. He unfortunately goes by Rick, not Dick, however.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember my father telling me about a local man changing his name to Malcolm Gramophone and naming his son Gabriel God Galaxy Gramophone.

Google checking this brought up this comment.

quote:

Not that I am keen to add more fuel to the "Kiwis are a bunch of weirdoes" flames, but many years ago, before parents were dissuaded from naming their children "inappropriately" there was a gentleman who rejoiced in the name of Malcolm Gramophone, and called his two sons Jesus Christ Gramophone and Gabriel God Galaxy Gramophone.
I know about this because my mother was a consultant psychiatrist, and was acquainted with Malcolm Gramophone on a professional basis...

From this article.

NZ judge saves girl from bloody silly name

I'm from New Zealand. Everyone from my generation is either named Wayne or Craig.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
I spoke to someone at work a few days ago called Angel d'Light. Like the pudding...
As far as I could tell it was her real name, she had made a few orders through us before & our system needs the card holders name.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Istari posted:

I know a Finnish girl called Sade. Apparently it's a fairly common name in Finland. It's pronounced sort of like SAH-deh.
:eng101: It also means rain in Finnish.

Not sure how common it is, though. I don't recall ever seeing anyone with that name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

OH NO MAN posted:

:eng101: It also means rain in Finnish.

Not sure how common it is, though. I don't recall ever seeing anyone with that name.

I know one girl called Sade who has a friend with the same name. It's also the name of one of the children on Ti-Ti Nalle. After hearing of 3 Finnish girls with the same name in a period of about 2 months, I just assumed it was common.

e: Just found out that the RIP KELLEY sign I keep seeing by the highway isn't a memorial thing. It's for a person called Rip Kelley.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jul 3, 2014

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Turns out I also work with a Cherrika. Like Erica but with a Ch.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Don't know how I missed posting this one. My best friend in the world is named Bronze and his brother is Onyx.

They had an older sister named Heather who died of SIDS. I don't know why she got a normal name and the boys didn't.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

razorrozar posted:

Don't know how I missed posting this one. My best friend in the world is named Bronze and his brother is Onyx.

They had an older sister named Heather who died of SIDS. I don't know why she got a normal name and the boys didn't.

I can think of a weak joke to make about that last point but feel like since it's about somebody's dead kid it's in bad taste. Something something heather being a plant while bronze and onyx are metals and stones therefore they will be stronger, what a knee-slapper.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

razorrozar posted:

I knew of a similar thing at my grade school, but it was a pair of sisters with colour gimmick names with a dead brother in the middle who didn't fit the gimmick. The younger sister was born after the brother died, so it's possible they weren't even going for a gimmick at the time (since the older sister's got a fairly normal name that also happens to be a colour).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One of the experts on a trial my firm is involved with is a brain doctor whose last name is Frankenstein.

I am not making this up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

One of the experts on a trial my firm is involved with is a brain doctor whose last name is Frankenstein.

I am not making this up.

It's FRONKENSHTEEN!

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Knew a girl by the name of Sunny Rainey. Parents were hippy morons. Also had a substitute teacher named Anita Ley.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
First names:

Dial
Colony
Bellenda

Last names:

Willimas (not a typo)
Thyfault
Schartman
Stuckenschneider
Mangina

Axiem posted:

One of the people I work with has a last name of Clithero, and whenever I see it, I have to suppress a giggle.

Haha, I was going to post this name too. We live in the same part of the country, as it turns out.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

DStecks posted:

I knew of a similar thing at my grade school, but it was a pair of sisters with colour gimmick names with a dead brother in the middle who didn't fit the gimmick.

On an only slightly related note, I once knew a couple who had a daughter, then 3 babies who didn't survive (2 stillborn, and 1 who was really premature, I think), then a son. The son and the 3 babies who died were all given the same name. By the end, the daughter, who was about 7 at this point, thought that all babies were just inherently called Cody.
Their family plot at the cemetery has the name written once, then 3 dates.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Jul 10, 2014