Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Lunatic Pathos posted:

How? Expert handling doesn't do that, it kills a TL on you. Do you mean Night Beast? He gets free focus action after green.

Argh, I'm a moron, I meant killing a target lock. Good catch on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Leo brought up mono-Defenders, it's as good a time as any to say how I want to do a mono-E-wing build...

99 points:

Etahn A'Baht
-Fire Control System
-R2 Astromech

2x Blackmoon Sqd Pilot
-Fire Control System
-R2 Astromech

Or maybe swap the FCS/R2 for Advanced Sensors on all of them. I dunno. I like the idea of coming into the joust, taking your shots, K-turning and being TL'ed on any survivors.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 1, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

overdesigned posted:

Leo brought up mono-Defenders, it's as good a time as any to say how I want to do a mono-E-wing build...

99 points:

Etahn A'Baht
-Fire Control System
-R2 Astromech

2x Blackmoon Sqd Pilot
-Fire Control System
-R2 Astromech

Or maybe swap the FCS/R2 for Advanced Sensors on all of them. I dunno. I like the idea of coming into the joust, taking your shots, K-turning and being TL'ed on any survivors.

Yes.

I think the E-Wing has better pilots for a mono build because Etahn is literally that good. PS3 for E-Wings is probably better than PS3 for Defenders due to what you are likely to face, but your meta might be different. Switching out the R2s and FCS for Adv Sensors is a wash in my books, it'll just make you fly your ship slightly differently and I like the probable damage increase FCS will have. Being able to destress on all 1-2 speed maneuvers is pretty cool and shouldn't be underestimated.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Just looking at the A-Wing makes me wonder how best to use it. Since it's so manuverable possiby load up Tycho with Advanced Torps so he's able to fire for 5 (or 4? I don't have the card right in front of me at the moment but it's something like that) and get out quick (hopefully very quick since they only have 4 health). Maybe combine him with Wedge with PTL+R2-D2 and a generic other shipm i'm thinking possibly maybe a B wing or maybe the HWK for the extra support?

This is the first time i've started realy thinking about how all my ships can work together instead of just ettng excited over the fact that i have them :v:

What are some good ships to pick up for Imps? Something that's not a variation of a tie fighter or Slave 1

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The A-wing is gonna get a LOT better with the release of Rebel Aces--you can either fly it without missiles for a -2 point cost from base with the Chardaan Refit, or you can load it up with Proton Rockets, which will let it shoot for 5 dice at range 1 and only costs 3 instead of Adv. Proton's 6 (which, incidentally, the A-wing can't use since it has a missile slot, not a torpedo slot). AND the rockets only require you to be focused (which you do not use to initiate the attack, and can then use to modify the roll).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A-wings are turning into good swarm ships with Chardraan Refit. You can get a Green Squad pilot with PTL for 18 points, and an A-wing with a semi-perpetual focus evade 3 agility ship is not going down easily. A-Wings are also good to use as blockers because they can get in places easily. Low PS green squad pilots can use the A-wing's innate speed and boost to get in the way of just about anyone. I'm not a big fan of missiles in general, but the upcoming Proton Rocket with munitions failsafe promises to be a bucket of funtimes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Swarms of A-Wings with Chardraan Refit is a very cunning plan by FFG to get everyone to buy multiples of Rebel Aces.

Pictured, FFG offices on August 31st:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Speaking of which, Is AFM correct with their supposition of 3x refit per ace box?

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/573-full-card-list-by-expansion/#rebelaces

Cuz if so I think just getting 2 separate a-wings should be enough. The rest of the points will go towards Ethan Abat of course. :3:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Chardraan Refit really changes the game when it comes to A-Wings. Prototype Pilot then lets you do stupid amounts of things with them. I've been toying around with something like this: Squadron Builder link

Four A-Wings, all with Chardraan Refit, Prototype Pilot, PTL, and Outmaneuver (and God said to the A-wings, "Thou shalt actually do damage"). Two A-Wings have shield upgrades for a little more survivability and to eat points because there's literally no reason not to use Chardraan Refit if you're not taking missiles.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I dunno, I think Proton Rockets might be the A-Wing Missile Slot to look at; Uses Focus (which you want in case you're shot at) instead of Target Lock, and the +3 Dice for +3 Agility is crazy strong.

Jake Farrell + Proton Rockets + Outmaneuver is expensive 30 points, but that's an incredibly nasty Alpha Strike that gets you a free Boost/Barrel Roll to get into position.

Something like this:

Jake Farrell (30)
A-Wing (24), Proton Rockets (3), Outmaneuver (3)

"Hobbie" Klivian (27)
X-Wing (25), R3-A2 (2)

Rookie Pilot (21)
Rookie Pilot (21)

I'm a big fan of Hobbie with R3-A2 though, it's been incredibly useful for me to be able to apply Stress on demand, especially to ships (like Phantoms, especially, of big ships) that want to be pulling Red maneuvers the following turn.

The other main route would be to run 2X2A, and do this...

Jake Farrell (32)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Outmaneuver (3), Swarm Tactics (2)

Prototype Pilot (15)
A-Wing (17), Chardaan Refit (-2)

Wedge Antilles (32)
X-Wing (29), Outmaneuver (3)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 2, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think I'd rather see Predator on Wedge at that point, you'll be wasting the Outmaneuver against anything with 1 agility, and X-Wings aren't really that agile with neither boost nor barrel roll.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Didn't even consider Predator, which got me theorycrafting for my weekly game!

==================
Arcs? What Arcs?
==================

Han Solo (53)
YT-1300 (46), Predator (3), C3-PO (3), Millennium Falcon (1)

Lando Calrissian (47)
YT-1300 (44), Outmaneuver (3)

Theory - Every turn, you use C3-PO to guess '0' so either way you get 1 Evade, boosted to two by the Action fed to you by Lando.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How do people generally build TIE Interceptor lists? Soontir Fel's ability is really good and it's tempting to give him a skill that goes well with it, but then you're looking at 30+ points for one ship that has no shields. You can put a shield upgrade on it, but then you're looking at 35 points. Similarly, it doesn't seem like you'd want to run low pilot skill Interceptors since they're somewhat pricy and fragile.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How do people generally build TIE Interceptor lists? Soontir Fel's ability is really good and it's tempting to give him a skill that goes well with it, but then you're looking at 30+ points for one ship that has no shields. You can put a shield upgrade on it, but then you're looking at 35 points. Similarly, it doesn't seem like you'd want to run low pilot skill Interceptors since they're somewhat pricy and fragile.

Played against a guy running 3 interceptors a few weeks back, basically tooled them up to the eyeballs.. all I remember is that they all had stealth devices which made life hard :/ Can't remember much else of the game other than "FINALLY, I've hit one of the bastards" - I got tabled :v: but I don't think he had much luck in his other games.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
People generally run super Fel plus a mini-swarm. The key with interceptors is staying out of arcs, so any of them with Push the Limit become much more survivable. Fel is ridiculous with stealth device and PtL. He can barrel roll, evade, and focus. Really hard to kill... Unless your opponent has a Falcon, then you just lose.

I like to run Soontir, Turr, and two Bombers with Seismic or Prox mines. Its tricky but rewarding to play. But yeah, it does almost auto-lose to a Falcon.

If you don't have Imperial Aces, it also includes a title that let's Interceptors take two modifications, if you really want to go all-in.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 2, 2014

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
So I was messing around in the Squad Builder, and this is a thing:

Rookie Pilot (21)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)

Rookie Pilot (21)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I may try this out this weekend as a comedy option.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

enri posted:

Played against a guy running 3 interceptors a few weeks back, basically tooled them up to the eyeballs.. all I remember is that they all had stealth devices which made life hard

Lunatic Pathos posted:

People generally run super Fel plus a mini-swarm.

Thanks - from the sound of it, I'm better off either running Fel + PtL + shields and then all PS1 Inties, or trying something like Fel + Turr + Fel's Wrath with shield upgrades and skills.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Shockeh posted:

Didn't even consider Predator, which got me theorycrafting for my weekly game!

==================
Arcs? What Arcs?
==================

Han Solo (53)
YT-1300 (46), Predator (3), C3-PO (3), Millennium Falcon (1)

Lando Calrissian (47)
YT-1300 (44), Outmaneuver (3)

Theory - Every turn, you use C3-PO to guess '0' so either way you get 1 Evade, boosted to two by the Action fed to you by Lando.

Outmaneuver is a waste it only works for the printed arc, not 360 degrees (I'm assuming you thought this wasn't the case). Predator on Han Solo, you can't reroll a dice more than once. Also remember that C3-PO is once per turn, same as that evade token.

midge fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 2, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone know of good ten numb builds? I like his ability and PS and think something like this might work:

Wedge, PtL, R7-T3
Ten Numb
Ethan, wingman

Has a decent PS which might be good enough to get Echo but with the W4 games I've played so far it seems best to just kill everything else and hope you keep enough points alive against echo.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I ran a pretty similar list to that last weekend, and got through with the Ethan/Ten combo for at least a couple shots per game. It feels like it should work, but I was running on four hours' sleep so my piloting was incredibly lovely and I lost all four rounds. I don't think it really got a fair shake from me.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks - from the sound of it, I'm better off either running Fel + PtL + shields and then all PS1 Inties, or trying something like Fel + Turr + Fel's Wrath with shield upgrades and skills.

Generally speaking you're better off with a Stealth Device on Fel. If you manage to dodge one extra hit with it, you've done as much as a shield would do, and it's a point cheaper. Fel can also Focus-Push-Evade and end up with 2 Focus and an Evade token (his ability gives a token, and not a free focus action, so it stacks), which makes 4 agility very tough to hit.

I think for an interceptor pile I'd run Fel, Jax, and Phenirr. First two with PtL and Stealth, and Phenirr with Predator or Outmaneuver and Stealth or something else as mod(s). No PtL for him, because being stressed kills his pilot ability and using boost + roll also prevents it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

midge posted:

Outmaneuver is a waste it only works for the printed arc, not 360 degrees (I'm assuming you thought this wasn't the case). Predator on Han Solo, you can't reroll a dice more than once. Also remember that C3-PO is once per turn, same as that evade token.

How sure are you of that? Outmaneuver as printed just says "when attacking a ship inside your firing arc". The Falcon's firing arc is 360 degrees (as helpfully designated with that circular arrow). This sets it apart from ships that are capable of mounting turreted weapons that specifically mention "outside your firing arc".

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The Falcon's firing arc is still the normal, printed, front firing arc. A turrent primary weapon can fire inside or outside of the ship's firing arc. It's in the rules FAQ.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Strobe posted:

How sure are you of that? Outmaneuver as printed just says "when attacking a ship inside your firing arc". The Falcon's firing arc is 360 degrees (as helpfully designated with that circular arrow). This sets it apart from ships that are capable of mounting turreted weapons that specifically mention "outside your firing arc".

Very.

"Each ship in this pack uses a turret as its primary weapon. Thus, each Ship card shows the Turret Primary Weapon icon, and each ship token shows a circular red arrow as a reminder.
When attacking with a Turret Primary Weapon, a ship may target an enemy ship inside or outside its firing arc. When attacking with a secondary weapon, the ship must still target a ship inside its firing arc {unless specified on the Upgrade card}."

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

By mini-swarm I meant your bog standard Howl+Academies. Alphas aren't really worth the points for +1 attack. They die too quickly. More TIE Fighters are better.

That said, I do prefer multiple interceptor lists. I've tried with a shuttle kitted out various ways, with two elites and two alphas, and with two bombers.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Some really good lists ive played against/seen flown are

Howlrunner
Academy
Backstabber
3 Alpha interceptors

Soontir PTL stealth
Howl stealth
Avenger x2 - stealth

Howlrunner swarm
black squad swarm x2
Alpha x2
academy

Royal guard PTL x4

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

zVxTeflon posted:

Howlrunner
Academy
Backstabber
3 Alpha interceptors

Do the interceptors and ties form two distinct groups or does Howl try to keep up with the interceptors?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Do the interceptors and ties form two distinct groups or does Howl try to keep up with the interceptors?

They fly as one unit

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lunatic Pathos posted:

By mini-swarm I meant your bog standard Howl+Academies. Alphas aren't really worth the points for +1 attack. They die too quickly. More TIE Fighters are better.

zVxTeflon posted:

Awesome, thanks - I'll give some of these a try. I'm also going to try this:

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Carnor Jax (26)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Turr Phennir (25)
Predator (3)
Stealth Device (3)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

midge posted:

Very.

"Each ship in this pack uses a turret as its primary weapon. Thus, each Ship card shows the Turret Primary Weapon icon, and each ship token shows a circular red arrow as a reminder.
When attacking with a Turret Primary Weapon, a ship may target an enemy ship inside or outside its firing arc. When attacking with a secondary weapon, the ship must still target a ship inside its firing arc {unless specified on the Upgrade card}."

Gotcha, so it still has a firing arc of 90' forward, it just happens to not use it for it's Primary weapon.
Yes, I made this assumption, and that drastically cuts down the possibility of Outmaneuver on Lando, which I'd probably replace for something giving him more durability.

However, I'd dispute the usefulness of Predator on Solo, because the whole point is to make Solo's special better with it - Because Solo's skill says you must re-roll all the dice you can, you use Predator first to re-roll Misses (Bear in mind we're only talking three dice) and so if you do use Solo's special, those dice cannot be re-rolled again; You then leave these on Hits or Eyes to Focus them up, so you're making his special more reliable to improve your roll, rather than the luck-based skill of a total re-roll it is without the skill.

The C3-P0 gimmick is purely because it's the only Agility 1 Rebel ship that can do it, and can also Evade; For 4 points you're making sure he can take two Evades on one attack or one each on two attacks every turn, as and when you need it, once again all about making the rolls more reliable.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's gonna be tough to get Han into a position to take advantage of Outmaneuver.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Tried out my mono-E-wing build today, it was a demo game against a new player which is kind of unfair (to him, and to judge said build's performance) but it worked well and I'm looking forward to trying it against further opposition.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

I am not sure how many people have taken note of this yet, but Tarn Mison with an R7 is incredibly mean.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I had not, and oh my gosh you're right. I can't think of anything else I'd want to put on Tarn ever, now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Holy crap, that's elegant genius. It's not even a once per turn thing, or a free action. You just get the target lock, and tank like a boss for every single thing that comes at you. Jeez.

EDIT: Does that count for Gunner/Han Solo's ability, too, or just the first attack per attacker?

Strobe fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 3, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
R7 only works once per turn, sadly, but if you are TL'ed on a high PS pilot you can spend that TL, then when a lower PS pilot attacks, use the R7 ability to get another reroll with Tarn.

Edit (to above): It would work against Han reasonably well--dice rerolled once can't be rerolled again, so you could almost guarantee triggering Gunner (or only taking 1 damage, conversely) if you wanted. Then against Gunner it would be okay--IF you were TL'ed on the ship with gunner originally, so you could spend the TL on its first attack, then activate R7 on its second attack, you could then use Tarn again.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 3, 2014

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

To go further into detail, I was playing a demo game since I just got my wave 4 ships. I was going to fly Biggs with R7, and went looking for ways to make the list cheaper so that i could shoehorn Corran and a pair of Z's into it. Wound up running Cracken w/ Wingman, Corran w/ Outmaneuver, Bandit w/ Ion Pulse, and Tarn.

Both my Z's died, but didn't touch Tarn or Horn. Got to watch Horn splatter Echo with a distance 1 outmaneuver, but i was playing myself so I guess I should say I screwed up Echo so badly he got flanked by Horn and two-shotted that turn.

Imperials were Rexxler W/ Adrenaline Rush, Echo w/ rebel captive, stygium, and outmaneuver, and a shuttle with weapon engineer and tactician. Not a good list, but again, trying to see how things flew. They were outclassed like you wouldn't believe.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Holy balls why would you run a named Phantom without Advanced Cloaking Device? If you were wondering why Echo got blasted quickly that should answer your question.
The only Phantom I'd really consider Stygium Particle Accelerator good on is the Sigma SQ Pilot, by the time you move up to Shadow SQ you out PS pretty much all generics so ACD could in theory be worth it. I'm all for Funbux per Minute and not really being mega serious but that Imperial list isn't a great benchmark to run against. In all seriousness, Veteran Instincts is the only EPT that exists for named Phantoms, everything else need not apply. I don't really get the rest of the Imperial list because Adrenaline Rush is a bit meh on Rexler and then you have Weapons Engineer on the Shuttle which is a gigantic ??? for me because you didn't give it the ST-321 title which would allow it to lock at any range. If you were going shuttlelocks then it would work better with Colonel Vessery, who gets locks on bad guys if they are already target locked.

I'm not sure what you were really expecting to get out of it, beside maybe basic maneuvering practice. The Imperial list was extremely terrible and just looks like a mash of ideas (Target locking shuttle to Vessery, hyper-mobile flanking Phantom etc) and none of them were properly executed. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you want to really see how your ships perform then you should pit them against a competitive list. This way any conclusions you draw will probably be accurate.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Shockeh posted:

However, I'd dispute the usefulness of Predator on Solo, because the whole point is to make Solo's special better with it - Because Solo's skill says you must re-roll all the dice you can, you use Predator first to re-roll Misses (Bear in mind we're only talking three dice) and so if you do use Solo's special, those dice cannot be re-rolled again; You then leave these on Hits or Eyes to Focus them up, so you're making his special more reliable to improve your roll, rather than the luck-based skill of a total re-roll it is without the skill.

What the hell are you going on about here? If you reroll misses with Predator and still get misses, you have to keep these misses. In an example where you roll a hit and 2 misses, then Predator one miss into another miss, if you were to use Han's ability you'd have to reroll the hit and the second miss, as those are the results that haven't already been rerolled. The end result of using Predator and Han's ability on any given turn is always the same as only using Han to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I ran the following for my local Imdaar Alpha, ended up taking first with it. One half of the list would generally be dead by the end, but in every match the surviving half had wiped out the opposing squad by the end.

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Targeting Computer (2)

Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Push the Limit (3)

Krassis Trelix (36)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Basically, the idea was to rush the Interceptors up as a pair along a flank, with the Firespray trailing slightly behind them and more towards the center. The opposing squad ends up having to either turn and face the interceptors who spring on them by turn 2, or try to stay out of the interceptor's arcs (which is really difficult for any squad with a lower PS than Fel and the Guard) and hope they couldn't bring their maneuverability to bear. In two of the rounds, the Interceptors ultimately died, but not before causing enough damage and disruption for Trelix to clean house with the HLC. The Interceptors are ultimately a decoy with really, really sharp teeth most of the time. The two of them tend to provoke more of a danger response than the Firespray.

The one time my opponent did focus fire Trelix down first thing, the interceptors caused enough damage and disruption to scatter his formation and picked it apart over a longer positioning game, abusing boost/barrel roll to the fullest potential with PtL.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 3, 2014

• Locked thread