Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

any updated on what he's doing next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
He occasionally asks for some support/expertise with some nonsense or other on Twitter that is clearly Best Show Revival oriented, but he's otherwise been pretty quiet.

Something is definitely happening, but nothing's really getting out.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Low Times podcast put out their final episode recently. One of the reasons given for ending it was Tom's efforts at getting the Best Show back in some form.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I want the Best Show back as much as the next person, but I hope he doesn't go the podcast route. Obviously I'd take it over nothing, but some if the best aspects of the Best Show were the live in studio elements. Whether it be the phonecalls, Tom having a bad day, AP mike getting drunk etc., some of the best moments were caused by being in a radio environment (I think being unable to curse made the Wurster calls a lot better, I'm sure they could do it not on radio, but the format helped). Speaking of Wurster calls, I've been relistening to a bunch lately, and I think my single favorite call might be the Ron Furst call. There's tons of contenders, but that one is a classic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I agree it would be really hard to replicate in a podcast. To me the call in format was my favorite part of the show and I don't know how you could even do that properly on a Podcast since no one that called in would really know what was going on in the show.

It's a shame there is basically no way to get paid on the radio that doesn't involve Clear Channel bullshit. I'd love to just see him reboot the show on a station where he can make a living off it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Speaking of Wurster calls, I've been relistening to a bunch lately, and I think my single favorite call might be the Ron Furst call. There's tons of contenders, but that one is a classic.

Yesss, this call is absolutely brilliant and I never see people mention it. The initial premise of the character is great then there's like five lengthy, amazing tangents. Can be found here btw: http://zogboy.tumblr.com/post/25910737543/ron-furst-calls-in-to-the-best-show-on-wfmu

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is my personal favorite of all time I think http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=1&show=33849&archive=57210. The Wurster calls mixed with real callers were so few and far between and they were always so good, starting with Rock Rot and Rule.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

NESguerilla posted:

I agree it would be really hard to replicate in a podcast. To me the call in format was my favorite part of the show and I don't know how you could even do that properly on a Podcast since no one that called in would really know what was going on in the show.
He could just live stream the show, it's not like that's never been done before.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Illinois Smith posted:

He could just live stream the show, it's not like that's never been done before.

Yea but it's a different vibe. I've seen people do it before and it's just not the same. You'll end up with mostly regular callers and won't get people tuning in for the first time/by accident then giving a ring, which again, lead to some great moments

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah, I'd definitely miss guys like the random Jersey dude that became a regular caller in the final weeks who just wanted to call in and talk about classic rock with Tom. He was a cool guy and he'd never listen to a live stream to call in.

That said, anomalies like that aside, the world of the show was getting sufficiently insular in it's later days that I don't know that going to a livestream would completely ruin the experience - the regular callers are, themselves, generally pretty damned great anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Yea but it's a different vibe. I've seen people do it before and it's just not the same. You'll end up with mostly regular callers and won't get people tuning in for the first time/by accident then giving a ring, which again, lead to some great moments

That, and it seems like a livestream would be just as hard to monetize and I know he wants to get paid something for doing the Best Show in the future.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And I thought this was bumped because Tom showed up on his wife's last WFMU show yesterday (until at least November). It looks like he joins the show around an hour and 18 minutes in:

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/55779

James Dente
Nov 29, 2003
Awful Things Ate My Head
Well worth skipping to 02:25 for "SQUIRREL IN THE PIT".

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm up to April 02 in my full archive listen. Officer Tom is the best caller.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How are you going about that? I'd like to do the same, but I'd really like to listen on my phone and those early eps only play in VLC for me without any sort of pause FF rewind functions. Wish I could just find a zip file of the entire run or something.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

How are you going about that? I'd like to do the same, but I'd really like to listen on my phone and those early eps only play in VLC for me without any sort of pause FF rewind functions. Wish I could just find a zip file of the entire run or something.

Someone uploaded the entire mp3 archives here. I've been uploading batches to Dropbox & listening to them using iOS VLC, which honestly kind of sucks because it loses my place sometimes and the steering wheel controls in my car switch episodes rather than jumping back & forth within the episode, but being able to connect my Dropbox account makes it mostly worth it. It's still better than having to move them to my iTunes library or whatever. If anyone has any suggestions for podcast apps with Dropbox integration I'm all ears.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

The Bunk posted:

Someone uploaded the entire mp3 archives here.

That's awesome, I didn't know they finished that. Thanks for the link. Any chance of putting the link in the first post OP?

Love some Best Show but I sure as hell won't miss Realplayer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Bunk posted:

Someone uploaded the entire mp3 archives here. I've been uploading batches to Dropbox & listening to them using iOS VLC, which honestly kind of sucks because it loses my place sometimes and the steering wheel controls in my car switch episodes rather than jumping back & forth within the episode, but being able to connect my Dropbox account makes it mostly worth it. It's still better than having to move them to my iTunes library or whatever. If anyone has any suggestions for podcast apps with Dropbox integration I'm all ears.

Thank you. I've been waiting forever for someone to do that. Time to start from the beginning.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Which episode was their take on the Gathering of the Juggalos on? I really want to hear it again.

Also, thanks to whoever uploaded that huge archive and the extras with it. Can't wait to watch Road House with a Scharpling commentary.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Which episode was their take on the Gathering of the Juggalos on? I really want to hear it again.
A lot of clips are up on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZicomCP3gM

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=32311&archive=54334

July 21, 2009

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Tom on Facebook posted:

It's fine. I appreciate people caring and wanting me to go forward. But so that there's not a ton of speculation about it, the house in which I was planning to resume The Best Show got broken into and all my equipment was stolen. I'm back at square one in so many ways. Really dispiriting. It feels like the wind is out of my sails and I'm just exhausted.

:(

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Oh god.

I wish there was some fund I could give money to to help out, but I'd wager that Tom doesn't want it. :(

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oh god.

I wish there was some fund I could give money to to help out, but I'd wager that Tom doesn't want it. :(

Yeah pretty much

Tom on Facebook posted:

No crowdsourcing, no Kickstarter. It's not about the money right now.

Seriously, I won't accept one cent. So please don't organize anything. I'll let you all know when it's time for money.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
If any of you jerks are interested, there's a Skype chat hosted by AP Mike and Fredericks (nominally called "Mike's Skype Thing") that's held every Tuesday at 9 PM. Just add "fredericksmindthing" to your contacts on Skype and call him at the appointed time. Mike is pretty open to answering Best Show and Massa's Tavern-related questions, so feel free to ask him whatever. The archives for the chats can be found here: http://fredericksnprcast.podbean.com/. (Beware: Fredericks spends an unconscionable amount of time fiddling with the recorded chats, so some of them are unlistenable).

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
JAZZ FART JAZZ FART EVERYBODY'S LISTENING TO THE JAZZ FART
JAZZ FART JAZZ FART EEEEVERYBODY'S LISTENING TO THE JAZZ FART

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Illinois Smith posted:

JAZZ FART JAZZ FART EVERYBODY'S LISTENING TO THE JAZZ FART
JAZZ FART JAZZ FART EEEEVERYBODY'S LISTENING TO THE JAZZ FART

https://soundcloud.com/good_jon/jazz-fart-the-best-show-on-wfmu

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Kelfeftaf posted:

If any of you jerks are interested, there's a Skype chat hosted by AP Mike and Fredericks (nominally called "Mike's Skype Thing") that's held every Tuesday at 9 PM. Just add "fredericksmindthing" to your contacts on Skype and call him at the appointed time. Mike is pretty open to answering Best Show and Massa's Tavern-related questions, so feel free to ask him whatever. The archives for the chats can be found here: http://fredericksnprcast.podbean.com/. (Beware: Fredericks spends an unconscionable amount of time fiddling with the recorded chats, so some of them are unlistenable).

lol really?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

jesus christ this is awful
http://s37.podbean.com/pb/1348c3eb73884a89f3610d06d80061f3/53a728d9/data2/blogs18/279521/uploads/MikeSkypeXVIII22.m4a

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

To be fair, it's basically a three-hour conference call, so listening to the archives isn't going to be terribly entertaining. If you have a question for Mike about the Best Show or just want to bullshit with FOTs about whatever, participating can be fun.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I ended up in Gene Simmons restaurant in Maui today and all i could think about the whole time was the various times Tom and Jon have torn him a new one. It's the only thing that made the experience tolerable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom mentioned he needed some tech help on Facebook for an archival project Hatch is working on. I really hope it's a streaming phone app or something.

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
They're trying to get files from an old hard drive. Probably digging up an old listener premium. Tom has been asking for specific old Best Show physical media via Facebook.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I saw that. I just hope they are doing something cool. I want easy access to all of the shows content so I'm hoping they are making an app or something.

Realistically, I think it might be related to a box set they are trying to put together for record store day though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

It's been fun listening to the show from the start. I shouldn't be surprised that someone changed over the course of thirteen years, but it's so goddamn weird how vulgar Tom is in the beginning. During a pledge drive war with Hot Rockin' Ronnie, he calls him a douche about 15 times, and a "douche drinker" on a few occasions, which is both gross and a phrase I'd never even heard before. In the four years I listened to him, I'd heard him call a guy a douche once, and that was during that amazing show that led to him taking a month off. I remember it so clearly because it was honestly jarring to hear him say something so crass. It was the guy liked college basketball, of all things, and he kept questioning Tom as to why he wasn't a fan.

Did he have a falling out with Jon Benjamin? He was such a constant contributor for awhile, and I don't remember hearing him once since I started listening to the show. I know Jon got a whole lot busier between then and now, but it's weird to have not heard from him even once since then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From the few old episodes I listened to I was amazed at how submissive he was compared to when I started listening in around 2007. People would call in and act like dicks and he would try to defuse it instead of just stomping them into dust.

I think having to do clean humor really benefited the show though. He's definitely not afraid to drop F-Bombs on FB or twitter but he's still never particularly dirty. I think he just got sick of trying to censor poo poo that people said on air and it morphed into part of his persona. I never got sick of him telling people it was the show was a "hard G" or ranting about "toilet mouths".

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
______ ______________ ___________ ______________ ______________ ______________ __________ ______________ ______________ _____________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ___________________ ______________ ___________________ ______________ ______________ ______________ _________ ______________ _____________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ___________ _____________________ ______________ ________ Fudge. ______ ______________ ___________ ______________ ______________ ______________ __________ ______________ ______________ _____________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ___________________ ______________ ___________________ ______________ ______________ ______________ _________ ______________ _____________ ______________ ______________ ______________ ___________ _____________________ ______________ ________

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

It's been fun listening to the show from the start. I shouldn't be surprised that someone changed over the course of thirteen years, but it's so goddamn weird how vulgar Tom is in the beginning. During a pledge drive war with Hot Rockin' Ronnie, he calls him a douche about 15 times, and a "douche drinker" on a few occasions, which is both gross and a phrase I'd never even heard before. In the four years I listened to him, I'd heard him call a guy a douche once, and that was during that amazing show that led to him taking a month off. I remember it so clearly because it was honestly jarring to hear him say something so crass. It was the guy liked college basketball, of all things, and he kept questioning Tom as to why he wasn't a fan.

Did he have a falling out with Jon Benjamin? He was such a constant contributor for awhile, and I don't remember hearing him once since I started listening to the show. I know Jon got a whole lot busier between then and now, but it's weird to have not heard from him even once since then.

Yeah, I was surprised by how frequent non-Jon (Wurster) characters are in the early shows. I'm guessing they fell off during the later years just because of how much writing and planning is involved. Also, if you're listening to the old pledge drives you're a better man than I. I never even listened to the new ones.

Currently listening to : August 13, 2002

PS:

Tom posted:

Attention people of the NJ area! Are you a realtor in/around the Jersey City/Hoboken area or have secure office space? Drop a line! bestshow2014email@gmail.com #BestShow2014

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Bunk posted:

Also, if you're listening to the old pledge drives you're a better man than I. I never even listened to the new ones.

Currently listening to : August 13, 2002

The one from 2001 is actually pretty funny. It's mostly Tom and Hot Rockin' Ronnie going at it. It's funny hearing Tom crow about raising $2000, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

If anyone is going to the San Diego Comic-Con, Scharpling is scheduled to be on the Steven Universe panel on Saturday.