Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Koramei posted:

How is FDR perceived in Japan today?

You don't really hear about him. By far the biggest figure bandied around here from that period is General MacArthur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hashimoto wants to allow a semblance of discipline in classrooms.

I guess a good idea can come from anywhere.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yeah but then you get this followed literally days later by this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sheep posted:

That first incident actually reminded me of the story with the Clippers owner, because right after it happened I saw like five different rumors that it was all a set-up. No way would a Japanese politician shout sexist remarks, it must be those drat uppity women.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Reverend Cheddar posted:

You don't really hear about him. By far the biggest figure bandied around here from that period is General MacArthur.

Do people in Japan actually call him the blue eyed shogun?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

And the assemblymen in Tokyo refusing to investigate further who abused that woman after the one rear end in a top hat took a fall.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm pretty surprised that no one posted about this:

http://www.japantrends.com/man-self...abe-government/

Which happened because of this:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/07/01/national/coalition-agrees-on-scrapping-pacifist-postwar-defense-policy/#.U7PZ8vmSySo

Pretty glad I was in Chiba drinking too much at a barbecue and not loving around in Shinjuku to witness this.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

I like Abe's cute infographic. From what I can see, America has melted China and Korea into an amorphous blob, freeing Japan to return to its native berth in the South Pacific.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Randallteal posted:

I like Abe's cute infographic. From what I can see, America has melted China and Korea into an amorphous blob, freeing Japan to return to its native berth in the South Pacific.

It's more that Korea assumed its rightful place as one of the largest nations in the world by land area. This is one of Abe's favorite arguments- under the current (well, current until just now) setup, Japan can't to block missiles from North Korea targeting American forces.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The infographic is demonstrating that in case of hostilities on foreign soil, American forces apparently presently evacuate not only Americans but also Japanese citizens. Under the present arrangement, Japanese forces are unable to help in those rescue operations or protect those rescue operations while underway even if America requests protection from Japan.

I like the North/South Korea nuclear war turning the peninsula into an amorphous blob version better though, honestly.

Edit: actually I think the fallout has caused Japan to grow to immense size (compare it to America there) and what we're actually looking at on the left there is the southeastern portion of the Asian continent. Taiwan is being sat on by an American ship of some sort and Japan is making moves to reunite with the Brazilian-Japanese in South America.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 2, 2014

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Sheep posted:

The infographic is demonstrating that in case of hostilities on foreign soil, American forces apparently presently evacuate not only Americans but also Japanese citizens. Under the present arrangement, Japanese forces are unable to help in those rescue operations or protect those rescue operations while underway even if America requests protection from Japan.

I like the North/South Korea nuclear war turning the peninsula into an amorphous blob version better though, honestly.

thanks for the correction. i just saw "attacking country" sending a missile at the american ship with japan blocked from doing and assumed it was the example i mentioned.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I actually saw the guy on the bridge shouting through his loudspeaker that day. I didn't stick around because I had places to be, but I had no idea he was going to set himself on fire. Dude had guts, but it's unfortunate the JP press has been pretty silent on the whole thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sheep posted:

Representative Kiyomi Tsujimoto (DPJ) has asserted that this scenario is completely fictitious and contrary to the US's policy.

I don't know whether she's right, but even if this could theoretically occur, it seems like the Abe administration must have had to think pretty hard to come up with an example of something that was theoretically impossible under the existing interpretation of the constitution but that people would really think of as "self-defense".

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 2, 2014

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

mystes posted:

Representative Kiyomi Tsujimoto (DPJ) has asserted that this scenario is completely fictitious and contrary to the US's policy.

I don't know whether she's right, but even if this could theoretically occur, it seems like the Abe administration must have had to think pretty hard to come up with an example of something that was theoretically impossible under the existing interpretation of the constitution but that people would really think of as "self-defense".

It's also dumb to play up this ind of issue, because it's obvious enough that these kind of scenarios aren't what's motivating the push for constitutional revision/reinterpretation.*

*To be fair, they are important from the American perspective, hence the endorsement from the State Department, but Abe wanting to change the constitution has literally 0% to do with being able to better co-operate with America or whatever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This "reinterpretation" business bugs me, but I guess using trickery to get around calling for a referendum over a very serious issue that should probably get a referendum is SOP for any politicians anywhere.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mystes posted:

I'm 100% with you on this, I was just translating the picture for those who can't read moonspeak.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
The reinterpreting thing really made me laugh. My thoughts on it were that even after changing the law so that 18 year olds could vote on referendums, they probably ran the voter numbers and weighed public opinion and found that they'd still come up short. If they tried a vote and then it failed and then tried to reinterpret, they'd catch way more flack from the press and public. By attempting to reinterpret first they still left open the option for referendum.

The whole thing still leaves a bad taste in my mouth though.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

leather fedora posted:

I actually saw the guy on the bridge shouting through his loudspeaker that day. I didn't stick around because I had places to be, but I had no idea he was going to set himself on fire. Dude had guts, but it's unfortunate the JP press has been pretty silent on the whole thing.

Yeah, I asked my friend in Nagoya if he heard about it and he had no idea what I was talking about. Seeing as the guy is alive, I wonder if we'll hear from him in the future at all. My guess would be no.

Edit: And of course it's not about any actual possible scenarios that could happen. It's about jerking off the right wing and giving big business contracts to Abe's buddies when the JSDF is inevitably increased in size.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 3, 2014

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dr.Radical posted:

Edit: And of course it's not about any actual possible scenarios that could happen. It's about jerking off the right wing and giving big business contracts to Abe's buddies when the JSDF is inevitably increased in size.

I don't know if you're trolling, but Abe and his crew have been pushing for this for a decade at least. It's China's recent actions in the South China Sea against Vietnam and the Philippines that finally sold it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah abe's wanted this for a long time, but I don't think anybody was "sold" on anything. Polls are firmly in the "against reinterpretation" camp. He just gave up on an actual amendment to the constitution (which IIRC got him fired the last time around for trying to push it) and instead pushed through the reinterpretation without any referendums.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Zo posted:

Yeah abe's wanted this for a long time, but I don't think anybody was "sold" on anything. Polls are firmly in the "against reinterpretation" camp. He just gave up on an actual amendment to the constitution (which IIRC got him fired the last time around for trying to push it) and instead pushed through the reinterpretation without any referendums.

You seem to be confusing the general public with the buyers in this post. :)

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Stringent posted:

You seem to be confusing the general public with the buyers in this post. :)

No, I was just talking about the general public. What are "buyers"?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It's the same thing that's been going on forever. The current interpretation of Article 9 is waaay looser than it has been in the past, and by current I'm not talking about the changes Abe's looking to do, I'm talking about before the recent attention.

And in this case public opinion is pretty lovely anyway. Japanese people want to bury their heads in the sand and jerk themselves off over being peaceful while at the same time they buy oil from Iran, Toyota technicals are ubiquitous in conflict zones throughout the world, etc. Even beyond regional defense issues vis a vis Chinese flexing their newfound ability to project power beyond their borders, simply from a humanitarian standpoint being a major industrialized economy affects the world through the flow of resources, and where there's money there's conflict. In a globalized economy pretending that your industries aren't at some level an exacerbating factor in conflicts throughout the world, then effectively refusing to substantially maintain the ability to potententially step in to mitigate in the case of a disaster caused by said conflicts is the height of isolationist arrogance.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't see how him pushing it for a decade makes it any less about his right wing constituents or business.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's the same thing that's been going on forever. The current interpretation of Article 9 is waaay looser than it has been in the past, and by current I'm not talking about the changes Abe's looking to do, I'm talking about before the recent attention.

And in this case public opinion is pretty lovely anyway. Japanese people want to bury their heads in the sand and jerk themselves off over being peaceful while at the same time they buy oil from Iran, Toyota technicals are ubiquitous in conflict zones throughout the world, etc. Even beyond regional defense issues vis a vis Chinese flexing their newfound ability to project power beyond their borders, simply from a humanitarian standpoint being a major industrialized economy affects the world through the flow of resources, and where there's money there's conflict. In a globalized economy pretending that your industries aren't at some level an exacerbating factor in conflicts throughout the world, then effectively refusing to substantially maintain the ability to potententially step in to mitigate in the case of a disaster caused by said conflicts is the height of isolationist arrogance.

That's why I see this as a net positive, at least in the short term. Abe, for all his faults, seems to be pulling at least a few heads that matter out of the sand.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

I don't see how him pushing it for a decade makes it any less about his right wing constituents or business.

He's been pushing it for ages because he is literally an ardent nationalist, not because there's some shadowy cabal pulling the strings. Most of "business" in Japan would love nothing more than to improve relations with China.

dilbertschalter fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 3, 2014

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

That's why I see this as a net positive, at least in the short term. Abe, for all his faults, seems to be pulling at least a few heads that matter out of the sand.

Specifically the military aspect I also see as a net positive, but I sure as hell wish it wasn't Abe doing it, and other stuff he's doing, like that ridiculous secrets act, are definitely not for the good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Specifically the military aspect I also see as a net positive, but I sure as hell wish it wasn't Abe doing it, and other stuff he's doing, like that ridiculous secrets act, are definitely not for the good.

Immigration policy, TPP, women's rights (only 2 women on the cabinet???). These are all things he's showing every sign of wussing out on.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

dilbertschalter posted:

He's been pushing it for ages because he is literally an ardent nationalist, not because there's some shadowy cabal pulling the strings. Most of "business" in Japan would love nothing more than to improve relations with China.

I wasn't suggesting it as a "shadowy cabal". It's just politics as usual. You give big contracts to companies and people that support you, that's usually how it works. I'm not saying it's Abe's only reason for wanting to expand the military (in fact, I mentioned the right-wing thing) but it sure isn't a point against it.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Stringent posted:

Immigration policy, TPP, women's rights (only 2 women on the cabinet???). These are all things he's showing every sign of wussing out on.

From my point of view these are all things that show he isn't wussing out.

Immigration policy? That's standard conservative platform in Japan, but he's also built a policy to bring more money into the economy but basically left the door open to kick people out easily (He's said he wants people to live in Japan a few years and then go home).

TPP? I imagine this is good for all the big biz's backs he is scratching, even though its making GBS threads all over the JA lobby. Wouldn't be surprised to find out JA isn't his biggest bank roller.

Women's rights? In Japan's enviro, this issue affects no one of importance. Unless someone can show me that every woman voter in Japan is furious over the lackluster policies; otherwise, its business as usual.

'Wussing out' would imply that voters expected something more out of him, but he couldn't muster the balls to do it. That's not happening here, the voters aren't expecting very much on these issues.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kenishi posted:

From my point of view these are all things that show he isn't wussing out.

That's great, but I was referring specifically to policies Abe outlined as essential to his "third arrow".

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

leather fedora posted:

ITT, people who don't read Japanese newspapers.

Seriously, this story was covered in every single major Japanese newspaper.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Constitution chat is fun, but lets talk about the real issues. Misusing $30,000 worth of public funds going to onsen and poo poo, not proving receipts or documentation, and then being asked about it leads to the reasonable response of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gviufzt7dgk

Oh... I see.. umm.. can you tell us what kind of important measures you were discussing with regard to Japan's aging population at those onsen?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

ErIog posted:

Constitution chat is fun, but lets talk about the real issues. Misusing $30,000 worth of public funds going to onsen and poo poo, not proving receipts or documentation, and then being asked about it leads to the reasonable response of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gviufzt7dgk

Oh... I see.. umm.. can you tell us what kind of important measures you were discussing with regard to Japan's aging population at those onsen?

Either he's a terrible, terrible actor or else he really has that "petulant three-year-old escalating a fit to get mom to feel sorry for them, intensifying if mom gives that 'yeah right' look back" style tantrum down pat.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Either he's a terrible, terrible actor or else he really has that "petulant three-year-old escalating a fit to get mom to feel sorry for them, intensifying if mom gives that 'yeah right' look back" style tantrum down pat.

Why not both!?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It's truly majestic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yHD4RiWkuU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

ITT, people who don't read Japanese newspapers.

Seriously, this story was covered in every single major Japanese newspaper.

And it should have made the evening news. It's an absolute travesty that it didn't.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Tbh that's how I picture all japanese polititians.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zo posted:

Tbh that's how I picture all japanese polititians.

My wife is nodding in agreement. (Only the men though!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol: https://japan.careerengine.org/japantoday/job/view/company_id/3123/lang/en/job_id/96638#.U7ZLpI2SxR4

quote:

4. Skills and Abilities: Must be able to recognize and evaluate policy and market constraints hindering U.S. agricultural exports to Japan. Can suggest effective and coherent strategies for removing