Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Turok: Evolution was very much not cool. Turok is one of those really zany and strange franchises that could have only come out of the 1990s, because now if you tried to make a game with a time-traveling Native American killing dinosaurs and aliens, you could only do it "ironically."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thyrork posted:

Turok 2 was the one with the.. uh, cerebral bore? Right?

Also chalk me up as another "I played it on the N64 alongside Goldeneye and loved them both." fan. :haw:

Yeah me too but when was the last time you played them?

On a retrogames kick last summer I ended up playing a ton of goldeneye and perfect dark. Then I tried to play Turok... :stonk:

Turok is RenderFog: The Game. Also I think there was way more lovely first-person platforming than I originally remembered.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

laserghost posted:

That TurokEX thing looks great, but will it be only for the console version? No chance for modern patch for the PC one? :(

If it's like Doom64EX, it'll be a source port that lets you take the cartridge data from a ROM and play it on PC.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah me too but when was the last time you played them?

On a retrogames kick last summer I ended up playing a ton of goldeneye and perfect dark. Then I tried to play Turok... :stonk:

Turok is RenderFog: The Game. Also I think there was way more lovely first-person platforming than I originally remembered.

I never got to play Goldeneye on the N64 and only could play the rom time ago. From what I played if they ever release a xbox live arcade version like they did with Perfect Dark, i'd buy it instantly.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nintendo Kid posted:

It only had one analog stick, it still doesn't excuse it lacking any control styles as nice as in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.

:ssh: I addressed this in my post with an explanation of why I think the same control scheme might not work for both games.

RyokoTK posted:

Turok: Evolution was very much not cool.

Know what's more not cool than Evolution? Turok 2008. I'm glad I only rented that piece of garbage.

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't find any of those things bothersome at all in the first game. It could be part rose-colored glasses, but I have a feeling a big part of it is just playing it so drat much as a kid that everything in the game feels like second nature to me now. The first-person platforming in Turok 2 is far more painful because the game's awful framerate really kills your ability to move precisely.

Guillermus posted:

I never got to play Goldeneye on the N64 and only could play the rom time ago. From what I played if they ever release a xbox live arcade version like they did with Perfect Dark, i'd buy it instantly.

I would love this, but it won't happen because Nintendo has some chokehold on the original game's licensing. There was a remake for the Wii and (though cancelled, iirc) 360, but it was pretty much a completely different game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

:ssh: I addressed this in my post with an explanation of why I think the same control scheme might not work for both games.

Yes it would. Because there were a good 10 or so control schemes for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I haven't played much of Turok 2, the only one I own, but my biggest issue with it is that the vertical axis for looking around is inverted (up looks down, down looks up) and there is absolutely nowhere in the menu to flip it to something I'm more comfortable with.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Turok: Evolution is one of the worst made games I've ever played and it's an absolute blast to see how badly you can break things. If there's a wall that's under about a 75 degree angle, you can walk up it. If an enemy is supposed to snipe, it will usually default to close range and run off cliffs and die on seeing you.

If you fight a T-Rex, you can kill it entirely by stepping back when it bites, stepping forward and hitting it with your axe, and then repeating over a period of five minutes. it's supposed to be one of the serious bosses, too

Rage Wars kicked rear end if you could get past the controls. I 100%ed single player and tried to 100% multiplayer with a friend when it was relatively new and ran into the bug where a mission is completely unbeatable in multiplayer, and didn't know about the replacement cartridge. :(

Rage Wars' weapon set is extremely good, the levels are competent, and the way they give weapons out on the maps is really neat and enjoyable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If it's like Doom64EX, it'll be a source port that lets you take the cartridge data from a ROM and play it on PC.

It's not, it's more of an imitation than an attempt at an ccurate source port like Doom64EX.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

laserghost posted:

Turok 2 had the cerebral bore, yes. Wonderfully horrible weapon. Also, disagree with the level design, it was confusing as all hell with those teleports and switches doing whatever somewhere else in the stage.

About the N64 version, I remember playing some Turok game on this system, but it was some kind of arena deathmatch thing? With small levels and bunch of enemies spawning in? Checking Wikipedia, apparently it's Rage Wars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turok:_Rage_Wars anyone played that?

Still, the PC version of Turok was instrumental to introduce PC gamers to Voodoo graphics accelarators, along GLQuake, Incoming, G-Police and some more PSX/N64 ports. By the mid-98 everything was going full hardware 3D, and at least for me, Turok was the sad symbol of changing times, when my powerful Pentium 133mhz just couldn't run it.

Yeah, Turok 2 was the reason I got my first dedicated GPU, a 16 MB Voodoo 3 which seemed to blast all of my games out of the water in terms of performance. God, old GPUs. For the longest time, I had a copy of Next Generation magazine that had a WIP screenshot of Unreal on the cover: "Would you believe this is a real screenshot of an actual game???" There were ads inside for 1, 2 and 4 MB videocards, all described in terms that made them sound like fighter jets and hot rods.

I never had an N64 (unfortunately), nor did I buy Turok for the PC (fortunately), but I was eternally jealous of my friends who had copies. For some reason I remember feeling like Turok had a zillion-and-one guns, including a bunch that were completely amazing overkill for the time. The Fusion Cannon and Chronoscepter seemed so much more awesome than the BFG9000 or Devastator. But in retrospect...14 guns? That's a decent selection, but nothing crazy.

On the other hand, I have to agree that Turok 2 was a really awesome game on the PC. I was constantly hanging around in the cave levels, lighting spiders and cyclopes on fire with the flamethrower. That was a time when flamethrowers were still far too rare and uncool in FPS games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
14 weapons is pretty good when you consider they're all pretty unique. A military shooter might have forty guns but if thirty of them are assault rifle and submachine gun variants then it doesn't really count as much, you know? The weapon variety and creativity in Turok and Turok 2 was definitely one of the game's major advances.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RyokoTK posted:

14 weapons is pretty good when you consider they're all pretty unique. A military shooter might have forty guns but if thirty of them are assault rifle and submachine gun variants then it doesn't really count as much, you know? The weapon variety and creativity in Turok and Turok 2 was definitely one of the game's major advances.

Oh yeah, totally. It's just that, if you had asked me how many guns there were in Turok before I heard that specific number, I would have probably honestly told you 20 or 21.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Mak0rz posted:

I can understand the sentiment, but the console only had a single analog stick. Given the choice between analog aiming and analog movement in a FPS game with modest auto-aim and heavy platforming, I'll always pick the former. Rare made a more comfortable control scheme that worked fine for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but I have a feeling the exact same control style would be frustrating to use if the games played more like Turok 1 and 2.

I'm sure most N64 FPS have an option to look with the analogue stick and move with the C buttons, and Turok had this by default. Am I remembering wrong?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Shootmans on consoles are frustrating as gently caress for me, and doubly so on platforms where you don't have analog controls. Powerslave on Saturn is the definitive Powerslave experience but you don't have an analog control there (the game doesn't support the 3D Saturn gamepad either).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently the Doom 4 reveal at Quakecon will not be streamed or otherwise posted online by Id - it's purely for attendees. Which is a pretty great sign...

Guillermus posted:

A fancy HD XBLA port of Goldeneye was in the works at Rare, and was actually almost finished as part of a gentleman's agreement between Rare, Activision (who owned the Bond license) and Nintendo of America when Nintendo of Japan got wind and threw a fit. :(

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've been reading Masters of Doom. It's a great story of the ups and downs of id, is there even anyone from the original Doom/Quake team left there anymore?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

nexus6 posted:

I've been reading Masters of Doom. It's a great story of the ups and downs of id, is there even anyone from the original Doom/Quake team left there anymore?
One: Kevin Cloud.

Tim Willits sort of counts since he worked on The Ultimate Doom, but I don't think he was a full-on Id employee at the time.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

One: Kevin Butt.

Tim Willits sort of counts since he worked on The Ultimate Doom, but I don't think he was a full-on Id employee at the time.

Donna the id Mom still works there!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

It's such a shame thing went to poo poo. I've seen a few videos Romero did for the Doom anniversary and post mortem, as well as some of Carmack's talks at previous quakecons. They seem like pretty cool guys.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Turok 2 had way, way too many loving weapons, and from what I recall there was no sensible way to switch weapons using a N64 pad - your only option was to cycle left/right through your entire nine-hundred-gun inventory whenever you wanted to switch to another weapon.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, Turok 2 was the reason I got my first dedicated GPU, a 16 MB Voodoo 3 which seemed to blast all of my games out of the water in terms of performance.

Mine was a Diamond Monster Fusion with a Voodoo Banshee GPU. I eventually got a new computer that came with an ATI Rage and it was a piece of garbage that made everything buggy as gently caress. I hated it so much. Thankfully my friend at the time just upgraded so I bought his old AGP Voodoo 3 and it was nothing short of magic. Who else remembers their first transition from PCI to AGP? :allears:

Would you still happen to have that game? If you don't mind fiddling with it I would be very interested if you can find a way play the game with a functioning soundtrack on Windows 7.

EvilGenius posted:

I'm sure most N64 FPS have an option to look with the analogue stick and move with the C buttons, and Turok had this by default.

This is correct.

The Kins posted:

A fancy HD XBLA port of Goldeneye was in the works at Rare, and was actually almost finished as part of a gentleman's agreement between Rare, Activision (who owned the Bond license) and Nintendo of America when Nintendo of Japan got wind and threw a fit. :(

:sigh:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Turok 2 had way, way too many loving weapons, and from what I recall there was no sensible way to switch weapons using a N64 pad - your only option was to cycle left/right through your entire nine-hundred-gun inventory whenever you wanted to switch to another weapon.

Turok 2's weapons were grouped by category and each category had at most two weapons. In the N64 version you never pick one directly if it was contained in a category. Instead you select a category and hit the alt-weapon button to swap between weapons within that category (e.g. Shotgun and Shredder, Talon and Warblade).

There are way more unique weapons in Turok 2 than its predecessor, but I think the number of selections is about the same. I could be misremembering that, though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

Who else remembers their first transition from PCI to AGP? :allears:

I started out on AGP, with a Riva TNT 16MB :pcgaming:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
All this Turok talk made me want to fire those bad boys back up.

I still have my CD's of Turok 1 and 2 on the PC, and Shadow of Oblivion on N64.

Turok 1 is still old school fun. Levels are linear, but pretty big, with just enough enemies to keep you on your toes. Weapons feel great to use. Overall, I think it still holds up.

Turok 2 is good as well, but there's something about the pacing that throws me off. I think the levels might be too long. I got fatigued by the end of the Port of Adia. That loving soundtrack though, wow.

Turok 3 is cool, and playing as Danielle Fireseed is even cooler, but elements of it feel a little downgraded from 2. Can't quite put my finger on it. Decent attempt at storytelling, though, and some really varied, interesting environments. It was a trip going through the first few sections of the first level of Turok 1.

And now you know how I feel about Turok games! Too bad they never made Turok Evolution or the reboot from 2008. Yup, sure is a shame they never made, say, an open world Turok game that plays like Far Cry 3 or something. Shame, shame, shame.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Mak0rz posted:

Who else remembers their first transition from PCI to AGP? :allears:

My first video card was one of the original Voodoos complete with pass through. Made Quake II look pretty amazing, blowing me away at the time, and I went out to buy a TNT PCI card that proceeded to blow up my computer (too much power) and eventually settled on a 3D Blaster Banshee after CompUSA replaced the motherboard. The card was alright for its time, afterwards I bought quite a few lousy AGP cards (SR9, an SiS card that didn't even have any OpenGL drivers) until I discovered the holy grail, the GeForce2 MX.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Thankfully my friend at the time just upgraded so I bought his old AGP Voodoo 3 and it was nothing short of magic. Who else remembers their first transition from PCI to AGP? :allears:

Oh man, old school video cards. I had a TNT2, a matrox mystique, and a Voodoo 2, geforce ...2? That was a long time ago, I can't remember what was PCI and what was AGP (and then what was the first PCI-E vidcard I got? can't remember..) Man I remember when Everquest required a video card with Transform & Lighting and like 200mb RAM and I was like "oh jeeze, how are most people gonna play that?"

Also, 3DFX supported SLI waaaay before anybody else thought that was a thing, and I remember having the voodoo and some other card connected in parallel to eek out a bit more performance. I'm not sure it actually did any good in retrospect.

The Kins posted:

Apparently the Doom 4 reveal at Quakecon will not be streamed or otherwise posted online by Id - it's purely for attendees. Which is a pretty great sign...

Yeah I think its doomed ( :haw: ) at this point. Now we know why all they had to show off at E3 was literally the title of the game, they have nothing.

quote:

“You’ve been clamoring for it for years, and now the wait is almost over. As announced in our E3 teaser trailer, fans in attendance at QuakeCon 2014 will have the opportunity to get a sneak peek at what’s been going on with the new DOOM game from id Software.

“This an exclusive thing we are doing for attendees as part of our Annual QuakeCon Welcome presentation. We’ll have plenty more to show everyone at a later date, but we didn’t want another QuakeCon to go by without doing something special for the amazing QC community and id supporters that have been with us for more than 20 years.”

Translation: We're hosed! Even though we've spent like 5 years and redesigned the game like 3 times, it still sucks and we're terrified to even show what we have to anybody.

That said, I feel like somebody's gonna try to bootleg it with their iphone cam, right? I mean can you really keep poo poo under wraps at a 'con ?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes it would. Because there were a good 10 or so control schemes for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Yeah that was one of the really awesome things about goldeneye. Inluding the control scheme where you used two N64 controllers per player, so that you could actually get some decent twin-stick run and gun action, pre-halo!

Its too bad the N64 controller's sticks are the worst ever. :v:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 2, 2014

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

That said, I feel like somebody's gonna try to bootleg it with their iphone cam, right? I mean can you really keep poo poo under wraps at a 'con ?

Undoubtedly. Exclusive videos leak from cons all the time.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean can you really keep poo poo under wraps at a 'con ?

Surprisingly, yes.
Whether or not this will be one of those times are up in the air, but I have a feeling Bethesda/Zenimax/id/whoever the relevant "they" are/the aliens know that everyone is going to be dissecting the gently caress out of every single millisecond of anything shown with the judgement of a thousand gods.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can certainly keep things behind closed doors and show it to small groups of press in secret but good luck putting it on a giant screen for an audience of thousands and still keeping it off the internet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wasn't that pretty much what they did with Doom 3, as well?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There was a website that counted down to the Doom 3 trailer reveal. Plus at the time you couldn't open a gaming magazine without full spreads of renders and screenshots.

This reminds me more of when movies are released in January without being screened for reviewers. Less that they're trying to build mystique and more that they're trying to minimize damage.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Would you still happen to have that game? If you don't mind fiddling with it I would be very interested if you can find a way play the game with a functioning soundtrack on Windows 7.

I don't, unfortunately... :sigh: Looks like Al Cu Ad Solte has it, though!

There are actually a ton of old FPS games I regret throwing out. Boxed copies of Wolfenstein, Doom II, Blake Stone...total waste!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah but that would have been before the days of Youtube and smartphones. Now you can safely assume the entire world will know absolutely anything if you let even a single stranger into your presentation.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh man, old school video cards. I had a TNT2, a matrox mystique, and a Voodoo 2, geforce ...2? That was a long time ago, I can't remember what was PCI and what was AGP (and then what was the first PCI-E vidcard I got? can't remember..) Man I remember when Everquest required a video card with Transform & Lighting and like 200mb RAM and I was like "oh jeeze, how are most people gonna play that?"

Also, 3DFX supported SLI waaaay before anybody else thought that was a thing, and I remember having the voodoo and some other card connected in parallel to eek out a bit more performance. I'm not sure it actually did any good in retrospect.

My first PCI-E card was a Radeon X800 for a computer I built especially for for Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. In the end, neither game could be played on my system because of some bizarre compatibility issue between the card and the motherboard chipset (it was a VIA VX-somethingorother) that caused infuriating instability issues. Fixing it required an entirely new board or card. I lived in a rural area and the shop I got my parts from was a 6.5-hour drive away and they could not replicate the problems in-store (I doubt the sincerity of that claim :jerkbag:) and therefore couldn't replace either of them. I had to save up to buy an entirely new board and wait until my parents took another trip to "the city" so I can get things fixed. I eventually settled on one with an nForce chipset. It ran like a dream after that.

During the lull I just spent my time playing ZDoom and old games and console emulators using a Glide wrapper. Good times :v:

Apparently the dual-card technology used by nVidia is completely different than that used by 3dfx. They took the "SLI" name from 3dfx when they acquired the brand and just backronymed their own technological jargon into it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't, unfortunately... :sigh: Looks like Al Cu Ad Solte has it, though!

There are actually a ton of old FPS games I regret throwing out. Boxed copies of Wolfenstein, Doom II, Blake Stone...total waste!

Get on it, Al!

I had floppies loaded with shareware episodes of every game you can imagine, but the only classic FPS games I had full retail copies for were Ultimate Doom and Chasm: The Rift. Unreal Tournament, Quakes 1-3, Half-Life, Soldier of Fortune, Blood II (yes, I know...), and all of their kin I just borrowed from friends. The region I lived in wasn't really friendly to building game libraries because it was pretty isolated!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 2, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah this sounds about right. Hell, if anything it's even less isolated because QuakeCon is a big thing that a fair number of people go to who aren't in the industry.

It's mildly worrying, but given that they've done literally this exact thing before I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out okay.

(Plus, showing it to attendees only doesn't mean making them sign loving NDAs. They're hoping for good word of mouth.)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, I've been playing Serious Sam HD (First Encounter through Second Encounter), but since I have it (because I have the Classic versions), I'm tempted to play Revolution instead. There were some bits I'm past that I'm not certain I want to replay, but classic is calling me.

Also, I asked earlier, but I'm looking for maps (for just about anything) with a Middle Eastern, but not Ancient Egyptian, theme. Anybody know of any?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

So, I've been playing Serious Sam HD (First Encounter through Second Encounter), but since I have it (because I have the Classic versions), I'm tempted to play Revolution instead. There were some bits I'm past that I'm not certain I want to replay, but classic is calling me.

Also, I asked earlier, but I'm looking for maps (for just about anything) with a Middle Eastern, but not Ancient Egyptian, theme. Anybody know of any?

The Revolution team has definitely made some good improvements to the game. They've added one new and two semi-new weapons to the game, but they're hidden in secrets. The new one, the beam gun, is a short-range Minigun on steroids, while the plasma gun tears through big enemies with it's alt-fire. The mine gun is kinda eh, but two out of three weapons being great is nice. The team is also adding a lot of new survival maps, most of which are pretty fun. Workshop has several classic maps and mods for easy installation.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

catlord posted:

Serious Sam 3 fits that pretty easily.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Serious Sam 3 fits that pretty easily.

Ah, yeah, forgot about that one. Have it though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

catlord posted:

Maps... for anything? CS has a ton of Middle Eastern themed maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Maps... for anything? CS has a ton of Middle Eastern themed maps.

I was thinking maps for Doom, or Quake, or Duke or something (I've apparently forgot about all the obvious ones :downs:). Quake has a bunch of Egypt themed maps, and Doom has Epic2 (and a handful of others), and there's a lot of Medieval styles maps, and I'm certain I've seen Greco-Roman styles too, but a Middle Eastern style theme seems oddly missing.