Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Mine worked perfectly fine with 8.1 :confused:

Same here, but I did run mine in administrator mode just in case. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Same here, but I did run mine in administrator mode just in case. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I did that too. I was running it in a VM on my mac though so that was probably a factor.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
If you are using a VM to run Windows for Pangu, be sure to enable USB 2.0 otherwise iTunes/Pangu won't be able to see your idevice.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
New version of Pangu is out with Mac compatibility.

Funniest thing about it is that i0n1c hated on them so hard via twitter and elsewhere, that they replaced his exploit with a new exploit they had been holding onto.

This means that this team has simultaneously upset i0n1c and the entirety of the jail breaking community who think that every exploit is sacred and who assume that only one exploit ever exists, or some such nonsense.

I guess I'm saying that it has been a pretty dramatical jailbreak, which I always find to be funny.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There's always a ton of drama surrounding jailbreaks especially on twitter

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
It didn't help that a lot of people were on Twitter showing off their fancy 7.1.1 jailbreaks and refusing to release them. Then a Chinese team appears and releases it for everyone and some people got all pissy about it :allears:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The Chinese involvement seems a lot more favorably received than last time around.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Did that last Chinese JB ever actually have spyware etc or were people just paranoid

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I'm about to upgrade and try out this 7.1.1 PanGu jailbreak now that the Mac version was released. I think the previous worry was mostly hype for English-based iDevices -- I'm not 100% sure for the Chinese loaded phones.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm happy this new pool of talent is involved in JB. This is an unusually fast release schedule, harkens back to the days of iOS 3.x. I wish the tool was translated into English but I can't complain too much.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Not jailbreak related but: iTunes is telling me that my password for the encrypted backup is incorrect. I'm 100% sure this is the correct password as I've used it for my backups exclusively. Anyone ran into this?

I'll try and restore from the iCloud backup first

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 29, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Does iTunes automatically start backing up your device when you upgrade iOS? I remember running out of space on my MacBook last time. But I don't remember if I tried it without backup and restore at any point.

Never mind, just clicked update and all went well.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 30, 2014

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I just jailbroke using the Mac version. Found a bug, maybe - don't close iTunes until the jailbreak is complete. If you do, it's not the end of the world, you just have to start over again from the beginning.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Bob Socko posted:

I just jailbroke using the Mac version. Found a bug, maybe - don't close iTunes until the jailbreak is complete. If you do, it's not the end of the world, you just have to start over again from the beginning.

Is that a Mac thing? Because I never had iTunes open during the entire JB process.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Lockdown Pro sends me into Safe Mode. I'll edit in any popular apps here that seem to conflict right now.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 30, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Is that a Mac thing? Because I never had iTunes open during the entire JB process.

Did you do an OTA update?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

ibntumart posted:

Did you do an OTA update?

No I've never done an OTA firmware update if that is what you are asking, I don't know of any recent OTA jailbreaks.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/iH8sn0w/status/483655159323439104

"7.1.2 is live and yes, http://pangu.io will jailbreak it OTB…"

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

"OTB"? Does that mean the jailbreak still works for 7.1.2?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Klungar posted:

"OTB"? Does that mean the jailbreak still works for 7.1.2?

Yes. Even the first release of Pangu was compatible with 7.1.2, since the Pangu team knew that the release of 7.1.2 was imminent, and that Apple would be unlikely to change that just to patch the jailbreak.

However, let it be known to anyone. If you don't upgrade to 7.1.2, it is all but certain that 7.1.3 or whatever comes next will absolutely patch the jailbreak. So upgrade while the upgrading is good.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
God damnit. I just did this poo poo yesterday.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

spongeworthy posted:

God damnit. I just did this poo poo yesterday.
Same here. Install "Attachment Encryptor" from Cydia (repo: http://rpetri.ch/repo). That's all it fixes.

Anyone still have an iPhone or iPod Touch on 7.0.x? I need help testing this new build of AlbumSnapper because I no longer have a 7.0.x device and all of my friends upgraded as well. Hit me up at <redacted at gmail> and let me know you're from here. You'll totally get a free copy.
A kind goon helped me out. Thanks!

Zeph fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 1, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Zeph posted:

Same here. Install "Attachment Encryptor" from Cydia (repo: http://rpetri.ch/repo). That's all it fixes.

Anyone still have an iPhone or iPod Touch on 7.0.x? I need help testing this new build of AlbumSnapper because I no longer have a 7.0.x device and all of my friends upgraded as well. Hit me up at <antizeph at gmail> and let me know you're from here. You'll totally get a free copy.

Cool, thanks. I saw this in the Changes list earlier but I wasn't sure what it addressed until the update.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Mr Hands Colon posted:

After having no luck jailbreaking my iPhone, I think it was more a matter of the Mac version of the jailbreak being wonky. It took two tries to jailbreak my iPad, but I had no luck with the iPhone version after four tries. I just gave up and used a PC instead.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 1, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Were there any issues with the PC? I was planning on jail breaking my 4S on my Mac, but now I'm wondering if I should wait till I'm back home from my trip and can use my PC.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just downloaded Pangu v1.1 Mac, it walked me though everything and downloaded Cydia,

All prompts were in reasonably decent English, updated my iPad mini first gen to 7.1.2 just before, only took less than 20 minutes tops.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I looked at the 7.1.2 changed I don't see any reason to update from 7.1.1?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Binary Badger posted:

Just downloaded Pangu v1.1 Mac, it walked me though everything and downloaded Cydia,

All prompts were in reasonably decent English, updated my iPad mini first gen to 7.1.2 just before, only took less than 20 minutes tops.

Glad to hear, I'll be doing the same thing to the same device tonight.

I'm really hoping 7.1.2 runs better on it than 7.0.6 does. I think it should.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Christoff posted:

Pretty sure this takes care of the additional patch from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2:

Zeph posted:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Christoff posted:

Please don't pull this poo poo.

Apple never lists all the changes, bug fixes, and improvements. It is still VERY loving important to update.

iOS 7.1.2 has around 30 security updates that are listed, including multiple Lock Screen bypass fixes and Activation Lock bypass fixes.

To me, those alone are huge issues that make 7.1.2 a must-have. I want my device updated and safe.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I had to try a couple of times to jailbreak my iPad Air but in the end changing the time zone to Beijing (and June 2 etc) seemed to fix whatever issue was being encountered when rebooting the injected code.

ed- this was using the Mac version of Pangu.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Did anyone else have an issue with Pangu 1.1's timing being way too fast on a Mac? At the point where it waits for the device to reboot it was giving up really fast. The only way I could get it to work is if I watched my device like a hawk and immediately unlocked it as soon as it finished booting. Happened on both my iPad 4 and iPhone 5s.

Last week I jailbroken both via Windows and Pangu 1.0 and didn't have this issue.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
So I jailbroke with Pangu, 7.1.2 on a Mac, and while I followed the procedure correctly and it said everything worked, there's no Cydia app anywhere. Anybody else have that happen and find out why?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Pop your device into iFunBox and open up classic mode. Does it say (Jailed)? If so, that means it worked but something is interfering. Make a backup in itunes and do a full wipe/restore. It should take.

My 7.0.4 jailbreak ended up like that and I missed the signing window. I had to wait for this 7.1.1 jb before I could restore and fix it.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Ezrem posted:

Did anyone else have an issue with Pangu 1.1's timing being way too fast on a Mac? At the point where it waits for the device to reboot it was giving up really fast. The only way I could get it to work is if I watched my device like a hawk and immediately unlocked it as soon as it finished booting. Happened on both my iPad 4 and iPhone 5s.

Last week I jailbroken both via Windows and Pangu 1.0 and didn't have this issue.

It kept giving me the waiting for unlock error before it even started to reboot. I tried a bunch of fixes people recommended, but eventually I had to do a clean restore. It worked the first try after that. Then I had to wait for my 60 gig back up to load.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Breaking 7.1.2 with Pangu was like super easy guys. Did my 5s last night and im gonna do my Air tonight. Though like usual i had to wipe and restore my phone. The method mentioned above didnt help.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Xenomorph posted:

Please don't pull this poo poo.

Apple never lists all the changes, bug fixes, and improvements. It is still VERY loving important to update.

iOS 7.1.2 has around 30 security updates that are listed, including multiple Lock Screen bypass fixes and Activation Lock bypass fixes.

To me, those alone are huge issues that make 7.1.2 a must-have. I want my device updated and safe.

It's really not important to update. Don't project your own paranoia about security. Not updating your phone for security reasons is like not buying a new car every time new seat belts are used. You're fine.

Now, if it's something you'd actually use, like you can't stand the 7.0 calendar, and want the 7.1 calendar, and are too lazy to download the fix, go for it. Otherwise you're not seeing much even going from 7.0.# to 7.1.#. It's simply not worth the effort, unless you're aware of what you want.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Woops, I was dumb and forgot to make a txt file of the JB apps I had installed prior to updating. Thankfully I only install about a dozen packs. Does Cydia keep a list of recent downloads or something?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

I want my device updated and safe.

... seems like these goals would be best served by not jailbreaking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Except 7.1 introduced a bunch of changes, including fixes to make 7 on the arm64 devices less crashhappy. He might be paranoid about the security features, but its still good poo poo to have. There will never usually be a lot of neat new poo poo in 7.1.X, but itll contain bug and security fixes for 7.1.x-1.

• Locked thread