Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Could just give stun batons a wrist strap and use that idea, instead of rigging cuffs onto them - although stunchuks would be pretty great.

Rather than wrist straps, some resistance to pushdowns might be better. Losing my stun baton just means I have to run away or pull out my taser, while getting pushed down is arguably worse than being hit by a stun baton since you're temporarily immobilized and drop whatever you're holding. Disarm is just one of Sec's big combat weaknesses - they're protected against flashes by their sunglasses and grabs and beatings by their armor, but they're as vulnerable as a clown to being pushed down or robbed, and for some reason it's considered bad form for sec to act against someone who's trying to push them down (probably because pushing people down and farting on them is such a widely-loved tradition).

Toning down the lockup on the armory might be nice, too. I understand the reasoning behind keeping most of sec's useful gear under the control of an admin-verified goodsec, but I've never seen or heard of the armory lockers being opened without the use of an emag or the theft of the HoS ID. It's rare for there to be an HoS at all, and even rarer for them to provide any leadership or teamwork or control over the sec squad, so instead the individual Sec officers just go to QM and demand lasers whenever they think they need to be better-armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Idea: replace armory doors with remote blast doors. Put two cardswipes in the bridge that require two simultaneous head-level swipes. Armory and nanoputt bays unlock and a siren plays with a RED ALERT warning, usable once per round.

It'd certainly give a bigger oh poo poo feeling to an armory unlock.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Add in a pedestal directly in front of the armory too, with a big red button. Arming the system plays the siren and red alert, hitting the button actually opens the armory doors, and kills the siren.

So then you have the cool walk down a corridor with alarms and red lights going off, before the big payoff when the doors are opened.

Also, when you emag one of the cardswipes, the siren and warning play forever and never stop. :v:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Idea: replace armory doors with remote blast doors. Put two cardswipes in the bridge that require two simultaneous head-level swipes. Armory and nanoputt bays unlock and a siren plays with a RED ALERT warning, usable once per round.

This would be nice if the lockers were also changed. The armory is trivial to hack into (I break in for the pod lasers every time I plan on exploring the debris field), but all the things useful for actual sec officers are sealed away in lockers only the HoS, an emag, a wizard, and maybe Borg's/AIs (never checked) can open, so even if you open the doors you can only get your hands on such rare items as straitjackets or electropacks. Even full-on shotgun rampages or nuke rounds always lead to Sec running to QM for lasers instead of gearing up in bomb suits and roaming the halls with riot shotguns and whatever the hell else is in those lockers.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

There'd still need to be a way for a ~skilled traitor~ to break in silently, though. Telesci and/or computer hacking, maybe? I love the idea of just popping down a computer and hacking into the armory from the Diner, then screaming for the grey horde to invade sec.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If you're a security man and you're acting like an rear end in a top hat and being abused for it by the captain, it might be a good idea to not be an rear end in a top hat instead of beating the captain to death with a crowbar.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If you're a security man and you're acting like an rear end in a top hat and being abused for it by the captain, it might be a good idea to not be an rear end in a top hat instead of beating the captain to death with a crowbar.

Did you adminhelp it?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It might have been smarter for the officer not to, but I bet it sure was a lot more entertaining for everyone else when he did. (Captain excluded) :v:

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
A few questions just because I have no clue what I'm doing still.

Last night as Sec I was being hosed with by a chaplain and somehow adopted his name. Then there were several people with his name. I assumed he had stolen my identity and had some traitor ability I didn't know of yet. How the gently caress was he spreading his name around?

So I spent ten minutes or so chasing him around/tazing and beating him only to eventually just forget about it since there were other traitors running about.

Also, I arrested someone for wearing what I thought were wizard clothes (after finding wizard items near janitors starting area) near a pool of blood/gibs and poo poo in the bar. After throwing him in a cell he makes fun of me for a bit and then just teleports away.

Either I'm an rear end in a top hat for arresting him (he apparently wasn't a wizard) and a mod helped him out or I arrested a mod who was sick of my poo poo. He kept contorting his body and changing his appearance. I assume that meant he was a mod.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

T-man posted:

There'd still need to be a way for a ~skilled traitor~ to break in silently, though. Telesci and/or computer hacking, maybe? I love the idea of just popping down a computer and hacking into the armory from the Diner, then screaming for the grey horde to invade sec.

You actually can't use Telescience to break into the Armory or the Security Office, they're blocked by interference. For some reason however, the Brig and the Podbay are not.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Last night as Sec I was being hosed with by a chaplain and somehow adopted his name. Then there were several people with his name. I assumed he had stolen my identity and had some traitor ability I didn't know of yet. How the gently caress was he spreading his name around?

So I spent ten minutes or so chasing him around/tazing and beating him only to eventually just forget about it since there were other traitors running about.

Also, I arrested someone for wearing what I thought were wizard clothes (after finding wizard items near janitors starting area) near a pool of blood/gibs and poo poo in the bar. After throwing him in a cell he makes fun of me for a bit and then just teleports away.

Either I'm an rear end in a top hat for arresting him (he apparently wasn't a wizard) and a mod helped him out or I arrested a mod who was sick of my poo poo. He kept contorting his body and changing his appearance. I assume that meant he was a mod.

On the Chaplain: the name-changing thing is nothing new or antagonistic, he likely had Space Rhinovirus or a certain chemical mix, both of which would physically turn you into him. If he had either, he was more than likely not an antagonist and just wanted to turn everyone into himself for the hell of it.

On the jailed person: most definitely not an admin, they are far less subtle. Also, did he escape through a portal? If yes, then he had a Hand Tele (which you should've frisked him for before brigging him, only Station Heads are supposed to have those!). As for the contorting thing, that's a mutant ability called Polymorph which lets him change his appearance to that of anyone he can currently see, not explicitly a bad thing.

You're not doing anything wrong so far, you just encountered a couple of bizarre-yet-harmless players. Part of what makes security interesting is figuring out which shenanigans are benign and which are malicious.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 2, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

There's a chemical which, when mixed with someone's blood and injected into someone, will make that person a perfect duplicate of the person whose blood was included in the mix. It's not a traitor-only thing.

Wizards can teleport, unless they've been stripped down. Changing appearance and shifting body is really more of a changeling thing, though; it's possible a changeling killed a wizard and stole his clothes. It's highly unlikely an admin was involved, as I doubt they'd just go mess with a newbie sec officer for the hell of it or intervene in a brigging without telling the brigger what they did wrong (though as a new player, you should probably NOT be playing Security until you have a better idea of what's going on). When you've got questions, I suggest mentorhelping them.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

A friend of mine set out to confirm whether or not having multiple people welded into a locker with leg holes works.

Answer:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

A friend of mine set out to confirm whether or not having multiple people welded into a locker with leg holes works.

Answer:

Pods are officially obsolete.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Answer:

I was stuffing monkeys into the AI upload that round, and had to stop and marvel at the beauty of the doublelocker rocketing around the halls.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Answer:

This is the greatest addition to the game since someone said "What if we let them fart?"

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

SL the Pyro posted:

On the Chaplain: the name-changing thing is nothing new or antagonistic, he likely had Space Rhinovirus or a certain chemical mix, both of which would physically turn you into him. If he had either, he was more than likely not an antagonist and just wanted to turn everyone into himself for the hell of it.

On the jailed person: most definitely not an admin, they are far less subtle. Also, did he escape through a portal? If yes, then he had a Hand Tele (which you should've frisked him for before brigging him, only Station Heads are supposed to have those!). As for the contorting thing, that's a mutant ability called Polymorph which lets him change his appearance to that of anyone he can currently see, not explicitly a bad thing.

You're not doing anything wrong so far, you just encountered a couple of bizarre-yet-harmless players. Part of what makes security interesting is figuring out which shenanigans are benign and which are malicious.

Thanks, I've gotten somewhat better about not giving a poo poo about random asshattery but when someone starts hitting me and trying to knock me down I get twitchy.

The guy who I thought was an admin and teleported was completely naked when he did it. I took off all of his clothes and left them bak in the bar. I threw him into the brig cuffed and naked because I couldn't get a drat jumpsuit on him.

Then after talking some poo poo and lifting some weights he just vanished. Not even a *poof*

I saw him just outside Sec and figured he was probably a lot more knowledgeable about what the gently caress was happening so i figured since he hadnt murdered me yet I'd just collect the wizard items and throw them in confiscated items.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Answer:

I dub this device the T.A.R.D :downs:

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Thanks, I've gotten somewhat better about not giving a poo poo about random asshattery but when someone starts hitting me and trying to knock me down I get twitchy.

The guy who I thought was an admin and teleported was completely naked when he did it. I took off all of his clothes and left them bak in the bar. I threw him into the brig cuffed and naked because I couldn't get a drat jumpsuit on him.

Then after talking some poo poo and lifting some weights he just vanished. Not even a *poof*

I saw him just outside Sec and figured he was probably a lot more knowledgeable about what the gently caress was happening so i figured since he hadnt murdered me yet I'd just collect the wizard items and throw them in confiscated items.

If he was being especially rude with his trash-talk (e: by especially rude I mean actually breaking the rules) he might have been admin-jailed, or he may have touched a teleport artifact earlier in the round that drew him back to it with unusually good timing. I'd guess wizard or vampire normally but they have a visible effect when they use their phase shift ability (also the vampire one is broken right now).

Clockwork Cupcake fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 2, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Disarms never work when you want them to anyway, I don't see any need to increase security's chances to resist when it's already so random.

Disarms certainly work when you don't want them to, though :sigh:.

Daeren posted:

If we implement it, I heavily suggest this. Disruptive, dangerous to the wielder, but if you squint and look at it funny it could almost be useful and/or weaponized into something horrible. Bonus points if your sprite flips the gently caress out like doublemagged Beepsky's does while you're doing it.

If used while turned off, they should do the full flipping animation but harmlessly prod everyone nearby just to scare them.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

dogstile posted:

I think a lot of the reluctance to use adminhelp is due to the old admins are assholes stories still flying about.I don't know why its still a thing, they've always been pretty cool with me, even when i've been a complete knob so long as I explain what happened (Like blowing up toxins so hard the guy in the chem lab had his arms blown off, yes, complete mistake).

I only ever adminhelp bug reports so far because I'm still getting the mood of the game. If I can be completely honest on my position, I'm afraid that adminhelping someone will trigger a tit-for-tat cycle that ends up with me getting banned because realistically I'm going to screw up sooner or later and if just saying "I screwed up" was a defence then everyone accused would do it every time.

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.

hyphz posted:

If I can be completely honest on my position, I'm afraid that adminhelping someone will trigger a tit-for-tat cycle that ends up with me getting banned because realistically I'm going to screw up sooner or later and if just saying "I screwed up" was a defence then everyone accused would do it every time.

The admins can usually tell pretty easily whether or not you did a bad thing on purpose of if it was genuine ignorance. There's been several occasions where I've answered an Admin's "Why did you kill that guy?" with "I killed him? Woops." and been just fine provided I leaned my lesson.

Also, sometimes accidents happen, one time a miscreant with the "build annoying poo poo on the station" objective started putting up R-walls in the department entrances, so I knocked him out with an RCD and sent him on a ride through belt hell to think about what he'd done. :v:

Unfortunately, while I had given him protection from space and the mass drivers, I totally forgot to turn on his oxygen before firing him off. He didn't survive and an admin jumped on me pretty quick, but a few short pm's later everything was fine and I had learned an important lesson about not using blunt trauma to disable people, and to probably pick a less lethal option to deal with annoying crewmembers.

As long as you're not an asshat the admins are very forgiving of honest mistakes. Don't be afraid of adminhelp.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

We've had a bunch of internal chats about stuff like this over the past few years. Needlessly aggressive admin behavior was definitely a thing for awhile. As long as you're reasonable and chill and seem willing to learn from mistakes if we PM you, you'll probably be just fine. It's not that hard to figure out whether a player did a Bad Thing in good faith vs. being an intentionally game-ruining dick or an idiot who can't be trusted with certain jobs.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think every player has accidentally blown up toxins at one point. The only time I've done it, it's only killed me and my similarly clueless compatriot, and we both thought it was hilarious as we slowly baked in the toxins closet because some jerk engineer had hacked open the tank storage door permanently. Everyone's misadventures coming together and interacting is so much of the fun. Someone else's unrelated screwup throwing challenges in your way or exploding you is part of the charm for me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wonk abuses me and makes me look like a bear and calls me "Spigot the Racist Bear" and turns me into Shrek and turns my pods into Gooby cartoons. It's too much for my fragile temperament to take and I demand something be done about this

Seriously though, all the active admins are cool, I've been a poo poo player for nearly two years now and I've never been shouted at for anything. The closest that I came was a few months ago when someone was newly adminned and I really confused them by doing something terrible with science that resulted in me being a monkey and accidentally murdering a newly humanised Spigot the Bear, but in a game this complex and buggy, they'll always hear you out unless you're being very obviously and deliberately terrible. I've never been in trouble for adminhelping anything dumb either - you won't always get a response, but they'd rather you did it a bit too often than far too little.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Wonk abuses me and makes me look like a bear and calls me "Spigot the Racist Bear" and turns me into Shrek and turns my pods into Gooby cartoons. It's too much for my fragile temperament to take and I demand something be

My favourite bear.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah I have a reputation for being The Mean One, and when someone I'm screaming at reveals that they just didn't know a thing, I hit the brakes right there and I just make sure they know why what they did was wrong. If they sound like they are actually listening, I often spawn them a cookie or something. We are all pretty chill! Please don't be afraid of admin help. Sometimes there's cookies!

Orv
May 4, 2011

PopeCrunch posted:

Yeah I have a reputation for being The Mean One, and when someone I'm screaming at reveals that they just didn't know a thing, I hit the brakes right there and I just make sure they know why what they did was wrong. If they sound like they are actually listening, I often spawn them a cookie or something. We are all pretty chill! Please don't be afraid of admin help. Sometimes there's cookies!

Which immediately turn into ice spiders.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

Orv posted:

Which immediately turn into ice spiders.

Pretty dang good cookies.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

About armory hacking:

Force people to use the loving computers. Add something randomized that makes hacking not that easy. Packetsniffer, etc. etc.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I think I had a goodie bag spawned for me when I pointed out you couldn't shred lettuce to put it into tacos.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

PopeCrunch posted:

Is Huk still an admin? Huk always struck me as the "meanest," but the worst I've seen has been angry messages and ban threats anyway, so it's not an especially hard title to claim. I've never even been jobbanned - I got muted once for howling endlessly in a crowded chapel as a cluwne, but I had it coming and whoever did it was quite polite about it.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is Huk still an admin? Huk always struck me as the "meanest," but the worst I've seen has been angry messages and ban threats anyway, so it's not an especially hard title to claim. I've never even been jobbanned - I got muted once for howling endlessly in a crowded chapel as a cluwne, but I had it coming and whoever did it was quite polite about it.

Last time I saw him on was a few days ago where he crashed the server by making everything explode. So yeah, he's still an admin. :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Michaellaneous posted:

About armory hacking:

Force people to use the loving computers. Add something randomized that makes hacking not that easy. Packetsniffer, etc. etc.

If we're making a wishlist, I want to be able to write my own PDA programs. OK, that's not really true. I just want to be able to write a program that opens doors and and can also send BUTT to every PDA in range.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Add Lua support to PDAs and the terminals :v:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

PopeCrunch posted:

Helpfully highlighted the bits that are makin' me lol.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You know precisely why what you're doing is crappy and you are unrepentent about it most of the time. You can lol all you like but nothing in that post even remotely applies to you.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Motherfucker, why are you still posting in this thread?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Motherfucker, why are you still posting in this thread?

Shame that's too long to be the new thread title.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

hailthefish posted:

Not if we get rid of the "Space Station 13:" bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

hailthefish posted:

Get rid of SS13

• Locked thread