Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SoundMonkey posted:

Also upon closer inspection my coax is 'Belden 50 ohm low loss coaxial H500', and feels pretty hefty (I sure won't be making any sharp turns with it), will that be ok or is it piss garbage?

Belden is a quality manufacturer. The impedance is right and the cable specs are decent as long as the connectors fit right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

can I just run the radio off a goddamn battery and not deal with power supplies at all, then just charge it when I'm done (assuming a pretty low duty cycle and decent sized battery)? Admittedly not hugely convenient long-term, but easy and cheap short-term.

Absolutely! This is what field day is all about, and you can have field day every day.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
The radio PA will be a bigger duty cycle limiter than the battery unless it's like a 7 Ah SLA, you'd want a deep cycle battery instead of an actual car starter battery.

That H500 is an excellent cable, so good that you should probably save it for VHF/UHF (remember to use N connectors in that case, "UHF" connectors are useless for 70 cm) if you were planning on running it to a HF antenna. Get some RG-213 if you're made of money or RG-58/LMR200 for HF.

longview fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 11, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

SoundMonkey posted:

Our car has some electrical issues that cause battery fuckery on occasion, so we're probably going to be getting an external charger in the near future, which sorta leads me to think... can I just run the radio off a goddamn battery and not deal with power supplies at all, then just charge it when I'm done (assuming a pretty low duty cycle and decent sized battery)? Admittedly not hugely convenient long-term, but easy and cheap short-term.

Also upon closer inspection my coax is 'Belden 50 ohm low loss coaxial H500', and feels pretty hefty (I sure won't be making any sharp turns with it), will that be ok or is it piss garbage?

Just want to get a deep cycle battery (aka marine or golf cart battery) so it can handle the charge/discharge cycle and have it be an AGM or gel battery if you're going to use it in the passenger compartment of a car so it doesn't start dumping acid or hydrogen gas into a closed compartment.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

longview posted:

That H500 is an excellent cable, so good that you should probably save it for VHF/UHF (remember to use N connectors in that case, "UHF" connectors are useless for 70 cm) if you were planning on running it to a HF antenna. Get some RG-213 if you're made of money or RG-58/LMR200 for HF.

So as I understand it, I COULD put this coax to better use, but using it as a temporary thing for an HF antenna wouldn't actually be bad in any way? I ask because this is pretty much the only coax I'm likely to have for free, and I don't really have any big UHF/VHF plans right now beyond loving around on local repeaters with my HT.

Motronic posted:

what field day is all about

...how did I not make this connection? I am literally retarded.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

So as I understand it, I COULD put this coax to better use, but using it as a temporary thing for an HF antenna wouldn't actually be bad in any way? I ask because this is pretty much the only coax I'm likely to have for free, and I don't really have any big UHF/VHF plans right now beyond loving around on local repeaters with my HT.

Yes again. There is nothing at all wrong with using the for HF, but if there comes a time when you need to put up a VHF antenna and need a similar amount of coax and want to save some cash, buying something cheaper and swapping it to the HF antenna would be a reasonable choice.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014
I got to spend some time with a D-STAR set this past weekend... Interesting protocol but entirely over complicated.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I've been looking at using the FC-301 to run my DV hotspot, it looks like it's just right for a small simplex hotspot. Operating temperature isn't fully industrial but probably good enough to put in an outside enclosure that only sees sun in the mornings. Putting the enclosure outside lets me reduce coax losses a fair bit, increasing sensitivity (70 cm is pretty quiet here outside of 433.90).

A small IP67 box with a power supply, DV-RPTR and ethernet interface, make some room for a Pi and 3G modem in the future and it should be all good.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Bean Head posted:

I got to spend some time with a D-STAR set this past weekend... Interesting protocol but entirely over complicated.

Part of the problem is that the protocol is being used very differently than it was designed, at least outside of Japan combined with the fact that no manufacturer of ham radio gear knows how to write a decent user interface.

The new ID-5100 is interesting for me though. Touch screen, able to use the built in GPS to pull up nearby repeaters, and the radio is mostly controllable via Bluetooth and CI-V so you can conceivably make your own UI on an android tablet. Not iOS though since it uses serial port protocol which isn't supported on the iOS devices. Or at least not yet.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

So some of you may remember the Ten Tec open source ChipKit-based QRP CW rig I was hacking on with some folks. Well, Ten Tec has a new one coming out called the Patriot that includes a sound board so you can also do digital modes and SSB:

http://qrper.com/2014/05/the-ten-tec-patriot-an-open-source-ssbcwdigital-transceiver/

This is pretty awesome and should get a lot more people interested in the intersection of Arduino/Open Source/Ham Radio.

In related news, RF Concepts (Makers of Alpha Amps) is merging with Ten Tec:

http://qrper.com/2014/05/ten-tec-and-alpha-amplifiers-to-merge/

This probably had more to do with keeping both companies alive than anything.

Dijkstra fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 16, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dijkstra posted:

So some of you may remember the Ten Tec open source ChipKit-based QRP CW rig I was hacking on with some folks. Well, Ten Tec has a new one coming out called the Patriot that includes a sound board so you can also do digital modes and SSB:

http://qrper.com/2014/05/the-ten-tec-patriot-an-open-source-ssbcwdigital-transceiver/

This is pretty awesome and should get a lot more people interested in the intersection of Arduino/Open Source/Ham Radio.

That looks really awesome and like something I might decide I need very very badly once some real reviews come out.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So I've been thinking about getting my technician license, as much out of curiosity about how radio actually works as anything*, but I've hit a problem: There *is* one group somewhat local, but they have no available schedule or basic information or anything, all their available information is aimed squarely at existing members. And they meet only "for the purpose of sharing information regarding Amateur Radio contact with distant stations."

So, um... now what? I was somewhat interested, but hitting something that practically says 'this is for old timers, not you newbies' makes me feel, well... a bit unwelcome.

*: Of course that's how it always starts. First they're curious, then they're enthusiastic, then they show up with half their brain scooped out to make room for equipment implanted in their skull.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Keiya posted:

So I've been thinking about getting my technician license, as much out of curiosity about how radio actually works as anything*, but I've hit a problem: There *is* one group somewhat local, but they have no available schedule or basic information or anything, all their available information is aimed squarely at existing members. And they meet only "for the purpose of sharing information regarding Amateur Radio contact with distant stations."

You don't really have to get too involved with your local group, even if they're the ones offering testing sessions.

Try looking for a testing session here instead. I took my tech at one group south of me, and my general at one north of me, and haven't interacted with either since.

quote:

So, um... now what? I was somewhat interested, but hitting something that practically says 'this is for old timers, not you newbies' makes me feel, well... a bit unwelcome.

*: Of course that's how it always starts. First they're curious, then they're enthusiastic, then they show up with half their brain scooped out to make room for equipment implanted in their skull.

Once you start digging in, you'll find a niche group (i.e. this thread) to be a part of, or something that interests you more. I was more interested in skipping 25w digital signals across the ionosphere than playing walkie-talkies with nearby strangers. The process of learning how it all works was also interesting to me, and more intellectually stimulating than mowing down a few waves of aliens in an FPS.

Don't give up yet.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Yeah, I checked the ARRL site first. Nothing listed.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Keiya posted:

Yeah, I checked the ARRL site first. Nothing listed.

Even with the zip code + radius?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Hrm, I wasn't yesterday, but now I am. Might have been a glitch, or maybe I was being dumb.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Keiya posted:

There *is* one group somewhat local, but they have no available schedule or basic information or anything, all their available information is aimed squarely at existing members. And they meet only "for the purpose of sharing information regarding Amateur Radio contact with distant stations."

That's a DX club, and DX Clubs aren't necessarily cut out to welcome new people to the hobby and give exam classes/sessions. Don't take it personally, that's just not what they're usually about. Most DX clubs won't even let you in in until you achieve DXCC or are close to it.

The good news is, if your area has a DX club it more than likely also has a regular general interest ham radio club. Try searching again:

http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-class

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Dijkstra fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 20, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Why are ham HTs with wide RX so bad at listening to wireless mics?

I've tried with a Yaesu VX-5, VX-7 and Kenwood TH-F6.

Mics in the in the 500-650mhz range with the radios set in "WFM" mode, which seems to be about 200khz wide on all the radios. I can't get anything but static even right next to a transmitter.

edit: the Kenwood seems to work in 25khz FM but the Yaesus are still deaf. I assumed this Lectrosonics kit would all be wider.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 21, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

eddiewalker posted:

Why are ham HTs with wide RX so bad at listening to wireless mics?

I've tried with a Yaesu VX-5, VX-7 and Kenwood TH-F6.

Mics in the in the 500-650mhz range with the radios set in "WFM" mode, which seems to be about 200khz wide on all the radios. I can't get anything but static even right next to a transmitter.

edit: the Kenwood seems to work in 25khz FM but the Yaesus are still deaf. I assumed this Lectrosonics kit would all be wider.

It might be digital (although I doubt it), but wireless mics generally use pretty wide bandwidth and also do a lot of in-band signalling while doing so, so really you're never going to get a good clean signal from that (except with like, a wireless mic receiver).

My Chinese HT can listen to my Sennheiser ew100 wireless mics pretty well, but it still sounds noisy and bad (this is in the 515-525MHz range).

Edit: Of course due to being shady and Chinese, it can also transmit in that range, although any transmission will lack the "pilot" and mute-disable tone from the mic (similar but not quite the same as CTCSS), so the receiver will be absolutely overwhelmed with even one watt of power at some distance, but output nothing but pure silence. I mean, that would be illegal of course, so I'd never do that, especially not as an emergency portable mute button for one of my own wireless mics.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 22, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
25khz ended up sounded awfully clipped. Once I got everything situated, 200khz receive sounded better, but the range was only a few feet with squelch wide open.

I listen to a plain old analog Lectro IFB all day, and I'd love to consolidate devices, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

My guess now is that there's some kind of companding going on.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 28, 2019

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Welcome back Jose! I'm really glad to see you back in the game.

We have news too, as part of our move, we've given up on white picket fence dreams and are moving into a Class A motorhome. Obviously I am going to build up a sick2nasty ham station - I no longer have to split resources between my mobile setup and home setup!

I'm going to be doing a Youtube and blog series on the renovation (it's in good shape, but we're updating with hardwood floors and new fixtures) and tech mods. I want to get APRS going, get my HF on, etc etc. We pick the beast up on Tuesday.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 28, 2019

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

Jose Pointero posted:

Hey guys, I'm back.

What a coincidence! I dropped by to say the same thing.

After two years in radio hell (no repeaters in even mobile range, no commercial FM stations save a single Spanish station, etc.) I'm finally moving to the Dallas area very soon. It's going to be DSTAR, Mototrbo, and P25 catch-up time.

Jose, I know I had your cell number at one point but that's been many moons ago. Shoot me a PM or email or something.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 28, 2019

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 28, 2019

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I am in poo poo city with radio at home, power lines right out my window, hash from motion detectors, and VHF sets off the buildings fire alarm. Externally. Running a sag for a bike ride again so it's time to dusty of the portable equipment and get my poo poo together.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Welcome back Jose.

Did you guys see this?

http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php?3981-Arduino-based-PSK3

Hot

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Every year I go to Hamcom Plano the better joining ARES sounds. Getting old sucks:(

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I joined the local ARES/RACES, which usually doesn't amount to much of anything going on. On Saturday I put my radio gear and time to work, driving a Ram 1500 around in the largest single-day cycling fundraiser in North America, shuttling cyclists around, so that was fun.

Our club is demoing the Yaesu System Fusion agile 2m/70cm repeater, as well as one of the handhelds and the FTM-400DR mobile, which I used for the ride.

The digital sounds fine to me, it's pretty neat. The group messaging and text functions we couldn't get to work, but trying to type a message on the screen of this would be a huge pain in the rear end. Yaesu's up to their usual with the interface being both confusing and unnecessarily complicated.

Frankly, I think they're too late to the game without offering a high dollar value. D-Star, at least, has a hobbyist head start.

Grey Skies
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Serious question, although it probably doesn't sound like it. Is it at all possible to use amateur radio equipment to broadcast at high power on the controlling frequencies for model aircraft, effectively jamming the aircraft from receiving signals from their controllers?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Harmful interference is a no no

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Anybody notice that the FCC finally pulled K1MAN's license after about 10 years of legal wrangling?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Grey Skies posted:

Serious question, although it probably doesn't sound like it. Is it at all possible to use amateur radio equipment to broadcast at high power on the controlling frequencies for model aircraft, effectively jamming the aircraft from receiving signals from their controllers?

Probably. It's almost certainly illegal, though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Khelmar posted:

Anybody notice that the FCC finally pulled K1MAN's license after about 10 years of legal wrangling?

Hah, finally! Now if we can just get Canada to yank Karol's ticket, we'll be gettin somewhere

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The Muffinlord posted:

Probably. It's almost certainly illegal, though.

I'm not sure about US law but in Canada it's a pretty simple "deliberate interference with anything is illegal 100% of the time no matter what".

Also even with relatively small model planes, jamming their control signal is not only illegal, a dick move, and stupid, but also potentially hugely dangerous to anyone in the immediate area.

Is there a sort of TLDR on K1MAN and/or VE7KFM somewhere? Most of what I see sort of assumes you already know the backstory.

e: Ok I think I managed to find some semblance of a backstory and holy poo poo I must be hanging out on the wrong (or right) repeaters because I live like fifty miles from Karol and I've never heard him.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 3, 2014

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

SoundMonkey posted:

Is there a sort of TLDR on K1MAN and/or VE7KFM somewhere? Most of what I see sort of assumes you already know the backstory.

K1MAN had/has a "news program". He decided he'd transmit on a specific 14MHz frequency at specific times, regardless of who was on there. The FCC told him to stop, he got pissed off that the ARRL did something similar (except, as far as I can tell, ARRL makes sure there's no one there before they transmit), and so he set up his own amateur radio service sort of like ARRL. He then thumbed his nose at the FCC, used a Radio Shack timer to make his rig transmit on his "schedule", and was generally a big jerk. It took the FCC about 10 years to fine him $10k and then pull his license when he didn't pay.

Now he's running his own "physics institute", and claims to know physics better than Einstein.

While his current website is strange, the archived one is amazing. For instance,
https://web.archive.org/web/20070425182038/http://www.k1man.com/WEB16/Page_14x.html

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Khelmar posted:

K1MAN had/has a "news program". He decided he'd transmit on a specific 14MHz frequency at specific times, regardless of who was on there. The FCC told him to stop, he got pissed off that the ARRL did something similar (except, as far as I can tell, ARRL makes sure there's no one there before they transmit), and so he set up his own amateur radio service sort of like ARRL. He then thumbed his nose at the FCC, used a Radio Shack timer to make his rig transmit on his "schedule", and was generally a big jerk. It took the FCC about 10 years to fine him $10k and then pull his license when he didn't pay.

Now he's running his own "physics institute", and claims to know physics better than Einstein.

While his current website is strange, the archived one is amazing. For instance,
https://web.archive.org/web/20070425182038/http://www.k1man.com/WEB16/Page_14x.html

Ah, so more the "breaking the 'no broadcasting' rule to feel important" kind of crazy and less of Karol's "screaming incoherently about Jews" kind of crazy.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

SoundMonkey posted:

Here's some Helldump action on Karol: http://www.ve7kfm.com/

Apparently he hangs out on 14.313, so maybe you should try catching him there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BigHustle posted:

Here's some Helldump action on Karol: http://www.ve7kfm.com/

Apparently he hangs out on 14.313, so maybe you should try catching him there.

Yeah my SDR only tunes down to 25 so I'll have to work something out.