Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

... seems like these goals would be best served by not jailbreaking?

A jailbreak uses an exploit that is not yet patched. The same exploit exists in unjailbroken phones as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I hate megathreads. Something should be put in the op about not having this stupid SHOULD I OR SHOULDNT I PATCH discussion but nobody's going to read it and it'll happen in another two pages anyways!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

I hate megathreads. Something should be put in the op about not having this stupid SHOULD I OR SHOULDNT I PATCH discussion but nobody's going to read it and it'll happen in another two pages anyways!

Would you rather they just make a new thread to ask the same questions?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I feel like the car analogy is kinda bad because no, I wouldn't buy a new car every time they changed seat belts because that would involve, well, buying. Patching from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 is free and takes maybe an hour or so of your time.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Ezrem posted:

Did anyone else have an issue with Pangu 1.1's timing being way too fast on a Mac? At the point where it waits for the device to reboot it was giving up really fast.

I jailbroke my 4S on my MacBook last night, using the latest Pangu. I kept iTunes open the whole time, updated without restoring, and Pangu jailbroke it just fine.

Both iTunes and Pangu did jump the gun at points. They both prompted me to select something while my iPhone was still rebooting. But neither shut down or gave me any error messages.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 2, 2014

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
iPhone 4 on 7.0.6. Used Source Saver and AptBacker prior to updating my phone to save all my installed tweaks. Full wiped and restored to 7.1.2 then restored latest backup. Jailbreak went without a hitch. Used Source Saver and AptBacker to reinstall everything. Whenever I press the home button to exit an app, the clock will briefly disappear and reappear. Was bothering me so I wiped my phone again and jail broke it without reinstalling any tweaks to see if something I installed was causing the clock to flash like that. No dice, even with no tweaks installed it still flashes when I exit an app. Anyone else run into this issue or know how to fix it?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Didn't even notice it but it does that to me, too. 5S on 7.1.2. Now that's all I'm going to see whenever I quit an app until it's fixed. Might be a weird quirk of Pangu, similar to the statusbar problems of evasi0n?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Install wink, status bars are for chumps.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Ezrem posted:

Did anyone else have an issue with Pangu 1.1's timing being way too fast on a Mac? At the point where it waits for the device to reboot it was giving up really fast. The only way I could get it to work is if I watched my device like a hawk and immediately unlocked it as soon as it finished booting. Happened on both my iPad 4 and iPhone 5s.

Last week I jailbroken both via Windows and Pangu 1.0 and didn't have this issue.

I had the same issue on my Mac mini + iPad 2. The process failed several times, with a reboot timeout error displayed in Pangu. A few searches led me to the solution of unplugging the iPad during that reboot as soon as the Apple logo appears. After it fully booted, I hooked it back up and Pangu finished. Everything's working well now.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I've read that some people also had success switching their device to Airplane mode before starting the jailbreak.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ibntumart posted:

I've read that some people also had success switching their device to Airplane mode before starting the jailbreak.

Even with the phone in airplane mode and wifi off on my laptop, I still ended up having to turn off wifi sync in iTunes to make the Mac version work.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I should already know this by now, but can I upgrade straight from a jailbroken 7.0.6 iPad to 7.1.2 without any steps in between?

I checked my HOSTS file and everything is fine, but it's been a while since I've done this.

I know I'll lose my jailbreak, I don't mind and I don't care about backing up my jailbroken apps or anything like that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I feel like I should already know this by now, but can I upgrade straight from a jailbroken 7.0.6 iPad to 7.1.2 without any steps in between?

I checked my HOSTS file and everything is fine, but it's been a while since I've done this.

I know I'll lose my jailbreak, I don't mind and I don't care about backing up my jailbroken apps or anything like that.

Not sure about 7.0.6 but I went from Jailbroken 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 just fine, then jailbroke again once I was on 7.1.2.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You should be okay. Theres a chance something will go wrong with the update, itll fail and leave your phone in restore mode. This isnt nearly as bad as it sounds as you can just restore it, and then the update will work and you can jailbreak your phone.

My phone did this but my ipad didnt so i dunno what causes it. Just dont forget to back up your phone first.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

SpookyLizard posted:

You should be okay. Theres a chance something will go wrong with the update, itll fail and leave your phone in restore mode. This isnt nearly as bad as it sounds as you can just restore it, and then the update will work and you can jailbreak your phone.

My phone did this but my ipad didnt so i dunno what causes it. Just dont forget to back up your phone first.

Perfect, thanks :).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I also didnt have any issues using pangu on either of my devices. Just turn off your passcode and autolocl before you get started.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

So when upgrading to jailbroken 7.x to 7.1.2, what's the preferred way to save and restore to a list of all your cydia repos and packages?

Pkgbackup, openbackup, Source Saver + AptBackup, or just taking pictures and doing it all manually?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

So when upgrading to jailbroken 7.x to 7.1.2, what's the preferred way to save and restore to a list of all your cydia repos and packages?

Pkgbackup, openbackup, Source Saver + AptBackup, or just taking pictures and doing it all manually?

I create a list of repos and packages using AppInfo which emails it to me, then reinstall each manually.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Doing it manually is unfortunately the best course of action because you'd want to check compatibility for each individual package.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Doing it manually is no big thing. It helps me weed out packages that I don't use anymore, anyway.

However, doing it manually still gives me the same anxiety I learned in the iOS 4 days where queuing too many packages would cause Cydia to crash and lose memory of what packages you had queued.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

bobfather posted:

However, doing it manually still gives me the same anxiety I learned in the iOS 4 days where queuing too many packages would cause Cydia to crash and lose memory of what packages you had queued.

Haha yes. I feel this every time.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Yep me too, especially since I can confirm I've had Cydia screw up the queuing a couple of months ago. We're not safe yet.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Didn't Rock used to have some kind of log in where it remembered?

Thanks for the advice. I'll just take screenshots and be glad to weed out the useless apps. I trust screenshots.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 3, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Brand new jailbreak so is' personally do one by one anyways

Cydia remembers apps you've purchased

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'd like to apologize for bringing up the question of "SHOULD I UPDATE?" a few pages back. The onus was on me to check whether the changes were worthwhile (they tend to be quite important) and the jailbreaking process has been continually made easier and safer over time that an upgrade is not only overwhelmingly safe, but usually relatively pain-free and quick. (Cydia saving app settings and preferences is a big boost).

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 3, 2014

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
What are the best tweaks to acquire to get rid of ads?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Untrusted Hosts Blocker is good, though it did screw up Hulu Plus playback for me. AdBlocker and AdBlockerNetworks are other good options.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
BaSic Adblocker is really good too. http://cydia.myrepospace.com/basic

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

This is an extremely specific problem, but maybe someone can help me.

I'm using the Jaku theme, and trying to sort out all of my icons. I've gotten pretty good at getting the bundle ID, making a folder, renaming the icon, etc....but for the life of me I can't figure out how to change Dropbox's icon. I changed it once, but a recent update changed it again and I can't figure out how to change it back.

I think the bundle ID is com.getdropbox.Dropbox, but I dunno what the icon name is. It says unknown for the file, and then has a long list of names for icons, none of which work.

Any ideas?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Check the info.plist in the dropbox app folder on your phone. AppInfo is a thing that should be able to do it for you but it occasionally breaks and cant find the right file or brings up an older version. If thats the case it should be able to bring up the directory for you in ifile.

I dont know the directories offhand but some patience and ifile will do you fine.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If pulling down the notification center crashes your phone, it's because of biteSMS. I just spent the 15 minutes removing/installing individual packages to troubleshoot so you don't have to :)

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

If pulling down the notification center crashes your phone, it's because of biteSMS. I just spent the 15 minutes removing/installing individual packages to troubleshoot so you don't have to :)

Yeah, just make sure the Quick Compose setting has Notification Center turned on.

edit: you should install Guilty - it will save you from going through all those packages next time you run into a safe mode issue. http://ath.ink/

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 4, 2014

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

My 4S got stuck in a boot loop when I did the Pangu jailbreak. A search told me to point a light at the light sensor to fix it.

It worked.

The world makes no sense any more, I am a scared old man.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I think there's an updated version of PanGu that fixes the light sensor glitch.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

HiddenSettings 7 doesn't appear to be making folders transparent anymore on my 7.1.2 JB. Anyone got a replacement?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Klungar posted:

HiddenSettings 7 doesn't appear to be making folders transparent anymore on my 7.1.2 JB. Anyone got a replacement?

Open or closed folders? You can try the package ClearFolders.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

aherdofpenguins posted:

This is an extremely specific problem, but maybe someone can help me.

I'm using the Jaku theme, and trying to sort out all of my icons. I've gotten pretty good at getting the bundle ID, making a folder, renaming the icon, etc....but for the life of me I can't figure out how to change Dropbox's icon. I changed it once, but a recent update changed it again and I can't figure out how to change it back.

I think the bundle ID is com.getdropbox.Dropbox, but I dunno what the icon name is. It says unknown for the file, and then has a long list of names for icons, none of which work.

Any ideas?

SpookyLizard posted:

Check the info.plist in the dropbox app folder on your phone. AppInfo is a thing that should be able to do it for you but it occasionally breaks and cant find the right file or brings up an older version. If thats the case it should be able to bring up the directory for you in ifile.

I dont know the directories offhand but some patience and ifile will do you fine.

100% I can't find this. I looked at info.plist and it gives a bunch of icon names like icon-29@2x, icon-76z, but they don't work and there is no mention of .png or anything whatsoever. Is there no sort of database online?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

aherdofpenguins posted:

100% I can't find this. I looked at info.plist and it gives a bunch of icon names like icon-29@2x, icon-76z, but they don't work and there is no mention of .png or anything whatsoever. Is there no sort of database online?

Not really. There's nothing to stop an app developer from changing it version to version. There won't necessarily be a file extension, but it'll be .png

Note that everything is case-sensitive, so if it says icon@2x-120, make sure it's icon and not Icon. While I don't use dropbox, the theme I use (gotham) does have icons for which use these names

icon@2x-120.png
Icon@2x.png
iphone@2x-120.png
settings@2x-58.png
spotlight@2x-80.png

The last two are clearly for settings and spotlight, but I'd, at the worst, copy the file three times and try naming them anyone of those. Or copy the name from the info.plist

You can also check reddit's r/iosthemes, they've usually got a handle on new file names following updates and etc. Like how Facebook's most recent update changed it from Icon-120 to Icon-Production-120

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

Not really. There's nothing to stop an app developer from changing it version to version. There won't necessarily be a file extension, but it'll be .png

Note that everything is case-sensitive, so if it says icon@2x-120, make sure it's icon and not Icon. While I don't use dropbox, the theme I use (gotham) does have icons for which use these names

icon@2x-120.png
Icon@2x.png
iphone@2x-120.png
settings@2x-58.png
spotlight@2x-80.png

The last two are clearly for settings and spotlight, but I'd, at the worst, copy the file three times and try naming them anyone of those. Or copy the name from the info.plist

You can also check reddit's r/iosthemes, they've usually got a handle on new file names following updates and etc. Like how Facebook's most recent update changed it from Icon-120 to Icon-Production-120

I made copies of all the names in info.plist + the ones you mentioned, and it still hasn't changed.

Just to be sure, you put the file into Jaku Classic.theme/Bundles and not IconBundles, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Ok, I finally updated to iOS 7. Jailbroke with PanGu.

I've installed some tweaks that help to mirror my iOS 6 experience, but essentially what I'm looking for is SBSettings, and SBSettings is no longer compatible. The Control Center doesn't do it for me. I want a power-off button, first of all. As well as a Personal Hotspot toggle.

• Locked thread