Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

The Mash posted:

I've never really understood WHY American sports journalists in particular keep wanting to change the rules of the game. I mean, it's not like they're all talking about one specific change that would maybe benefit the USMNT, it's just random poo poo here and there that would either break (the flow of) the game or have no real effect. I get that they're idiots who don't understand the game, but would stupid rules changes really change that? WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH aaaaaaaaa

There seems to be this underlying thing in all of these articles that one little rule change will cause American fans to flood to football and that that's what everyone else wants. It's as if that's what 150 years of football has been building towards.

These type of articles pop up every 4 years. This is a new one though, usually it's about getting rid of "offsides" or something equally stupid and then the journalist goes back to covering loving mma or whatever for the next 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Has this been posted yet? It's worth than Nate Silver

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

quote:

By now I’ve studied nearly every aspect of Messi’s game, down to a touch-by-touch level: his shooting and scoring production; where he shoots from; how often he sets up his own shots; what kind of kicks he uses to make those shots; his ability to take on defenders; how accurate his passes are; the kind of passes he makes; how often he creates scoring chances; how often those chances lead to goals; even how his defensive playmaking compares to other high-volume shooters.

There are about 10 pages of charts in there.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Mickolution posted:

There seems to be this underlying thing in all of these articles that one little rule change will cause American fans to flood to football and that that's what everyone else wants. It's as if that's what 150 years of football has been building towards.

These type of articles pop up every 4 years. This is a new one though, usually it's about getting rid of "offsides" or something equally stupid and then the journalist goes back to covering loving mma or whatever for the next 4 years.

It's more that in the big American sports things can and often are changed very easily by a small committee, so people don't understand that football is much more conservative.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aston Villa: Roy Keane confirmed as Paul Lambert's assistant

Roy Keane has been appointed assistant manager at Aston Villa.

Villa boss Paul Lambert approached Keane at the end of last season with a view to combining the role with his existing job as number two to Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill.

O'Neill has given the move his approval and Keane, 42, will be in place when pre-season training begins on Monday.

"I am delighted to be joining Villa and look forward to what promises to be an exciting challenge," Keane said.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28085658

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Gigi Galli posted:

I'm starting to think Jenny McCarthy was right tbh

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Smells like we're getting dangerously close to calculating the elusive "service index" that will show once and for all how awful S'land were to Jozy last year.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I genuinely hate Nate Silver

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Nate Silver's political stuff was really cool but his sport stuff is absolutely horrible and I hate it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He should write about baseball or something that isn't the most open-flowing sport there is.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(I think it's a great post and generally prefer this type of analysis/commentary to the other options but I know I'm the minority in that respect)

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Nostradingus posted:

Nate Silver's political stuff was really cool but his sport stuff is absolutely horrible and I hate it.

it wasn't it was gay

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

pangstrom posted:

(I think it's a great post and generally prefer this type of analysis/commentary to the other options but I know I'm the minority in that respect)

lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

lmaoboy1998 posted:

it wasn't it was gay

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
nate silver is definitely the professor type from the Ladbrokes life advert.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/a-chart-for-predicting-penalty-shootout-odds-in-real-time/

it never ends

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
What the gently caress is that?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

All that and no mention of left footed pen takers being utter gash.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dirk Pitt posted:

some sort of flow chart

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

lol

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NucTKsif8U

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUaFYzFFbBU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Jesus Christ.

What is wrong with these people.

I'm so glad America was eliminated last night because hopefully these motherfuckers will disappear for the the next four years again.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's all just so utterly pointless. It's like they have never for a second questioned whether their numbers add any insight, offer any useful conclusions or tell you anything that isn't completely obvious anyway.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hey guys, I've done some statistical analysis and discovered that if you go ahead in a penalty shootout you're more likely to win. Also, that Lionel Messi is a good player.

Now excuse me while I write an essay the length of twenty FLJ posts about it.

Draws An 8
Mar 26, 2010
When it comes to holding up play, when in the mood, Jozy is one of the best players in the World. He struggles scoring goals at the highest level, but can hold up play very well which is was the most underrated part of his game before the tournament. Its one of reasons he got minutes at Hull and Sunderland even though he wasnt scoring. Other players like Heskey and Kevin Davies made careers as forwards doing that while not scoring a a lot of goals. Such an underrated skill that I hope people now realize how important it is now.

I dont think we can blame Klinnsman for not having a back up. We just dont have anyone in our pool like him. Bunbury and Boyd in theory have the tools to do it, but have not shown me that they can do it at the highest level the the way Jozy has.

To be fair, The exact same thing happened to Belgium. They have had tone of injuries for this tournament, including one to their main striker Benteke, who is really just a better version Altidore, and its one of the reasons they have struggled to break teams down in the tournament.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Draws An 8 posted:

To be fair, The exact same thing happened to Belgium. They have had tone of injuries for this tournament, including one to their main striker Benteke, who is really just a better version Altidore, and its one of the reasons they have struggled to break teams down in the tournament.

Every single time without fail.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Draws An 8 posted:

Other players like Heskey and Kevin Davies made careers as forwards doing that while not scoring a a lot of goals.

:lol:

Heskey has scored 110 premiership goals, Davies 88. Jozy has 2.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6z7-u7EZ1g

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Draws An 8 posted:

We just dont have anyone in our pool like him.

Could you imagine TWO jozy's on one team?

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Draws An 8 posted:

We just dont have anyone in our pool like him.

I wouldn't want jozy in my pool either, all the water would overflow

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
If you think about it, Benteke is nothing but a better version of Jozy.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Only five teams have ever won the EPL Championship. Only three different teams have won La Liga in the last 10 years. And only three different clubs have won Serie A in the last 14 years. You call that competitive?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"EPL Championship" is triggering me.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Yeah, it's called the Barclay's ffs

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Here are the four changes I think would help:

1. Shorten the dimensions of the field. Take 10 yards off the width and 20 off the length, would allow more scoring.

2. Never, EVER, end in a tie. If your paying for a ticket and devoting 3+ hours to something, you want a resolution. This isn't rec ball where everyone is a winner.

3. Do something about the extra time added at the end if a game. The fan needs to be able to follow not just a ref deciding off hand how much time needs to be added.

I would be more inclined to watch with these changes. To put it out there I don't hate soccer, I just cannot bear to watch it.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

Only five teams have ever won the EPL Championship. Only three different teams have won La Liga in the last 10 years. And only three different clubs have won Serie A in the last 14 years. You call that competitive?

football also began in 1992

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

And "3 different winners in ten years" makes la liga sound way more competitive than it is lmao

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

:psypop:

Whatever you do, don't look at his twitter feed.
This for example shows that if you have a lot of possession, like Ivory Coast, you'll do better than Costa Rica...