Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it a new thing where you need 51% of counties to create a duchy instead of 50%? Took a county in Ireland on my path to creating Brittania and I can't create and therefore get a CB on the other county due to this thing, which I didn't notice before now. It seems like a deliberate change to...well...stop me doing exactly what I want to do. :v:

VVV I've never used mods so this is a new one to me, I guess I'm just oblivious.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pierson posted:

Is it a new thing where you need 51% of counties to create a duchy instead of 50%? Took a county in Ireland on my path to creating Brittania and I can't create and therefore get a CB on the other county due to this thing, which I didn't notice before now. It seems like a deliberate change to...well...stop me doing exactly what I want to do. :v:
It's not really new but some mods keep the 50% value so people keep discovering it when they stop playing their go-to mod. There is a new setting allowing you to modify the % needed in some setting files so it's not hard to modify. And it's at 51% now to prevent usurpation pingpong.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

DStecks posted:

:ssh:CK2's mechanics are varying degrees of inappropriate for everything that's not France:ssh:

Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, I personally would not hesitate to put CK2 in the top ten of the best games of all time.

What? You mean that every world culture in the 9th century didn't simultaneously develop oubliettes? :france:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

Following up on peculiar mod design choices, I just installed the latest iteration of the HIP mod, and this time opted to get the SWMH module (map + a little bit more) installed with it all.

Behold the culture map for 1066. How many times have people complained about the bizarre division and distribution of cultures, and why haven't they done anything with the Germans yet?

How do those isolated pockets in the Arabian desert work, can you march troops to them somehow?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
aragonARAGONaragon

:geno: I am the King of Aragon
:geno: I too am the King of Aragon

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Boing posted:

:geno: I am the King of Aragon
:geno: I too am the King of Aragon

Now just wait for the "Aragon-Aragonese De Jure War for Aragon".

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Because they all speak German? It is a bad excuse. A few sub-dvisions would make sense, but then you would also have to water down the French more and the Russians more (none of which would be a bad thing). I cannot believe the vanilla CKII map still has northern Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia (Kola Peninsula) inhabited/traversable - I really like what the map you posted does about that and Arabia.
The Italians speak Italian too, and yet SWMH carves them up into an awful lot of different culture groups. I don't get why they'd do that and then not even differentiate between Saxon and Alemannic.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How do those isolated pockets in the Arabian desert work, can you march troops to them somehow?
Yeah, they got special entries in adjacencies.csv. It's something to do with representing desert oases.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Darth Various posted:

Now just wait for the "Aragon-Aragonese De Jure War for Aragon".

The Aragon-Aragonese DeJure war for Aragon with their Aragonese ally king Aragon of Aragon.

Just how exactly did you end up with 3 aragons?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Thrasophius posted:

The Aragon-Aragonese DeJure war for Aragon with their Aragonese ally king Aragon of Aragon.

Guessing it's the Kingdom, an independent Duchy, and an independent county.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is there something stopping merchant republics forming Empires? I control every county in de jure Italia bar Rome itself, but can neither create nor usurp the title.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Jedit posted:

Is there something stopping merchant republics forming Empires? I control every county in de jure Italia bar Rome itself, but can neither create nor usurp the title.

You need three kingdoms - Italy, Sicily, plus one other - to be able to form Italia.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Thrasophius posted:

Looks like the northern Aragon is the Duchy, the coastal Aragon is the kingdom, and the southern county is an exclave held by the Duke. There is no county just called Aragon.

(I'm pretty sure that a complex collection of exclaves is also what caused the infamous PERM PERM PERM PERM PERM screenshot)

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

DStecks posted:

Looks like the northern Aragon is the Duchy, the coastal Aragon is the kingdom, and the southern county is an exclave held by the Duke. There is no county just called Aragon.

(I'm pretty sure that a complex collection of exclaves is also what caused the infamous PERM PERM PERM PERM PERM screenshot)

This I need to see.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did the Mongols get unnerfed recently? I played the Mongol scenario this morning and dear god I was able to power over everyone like crazy....just like the Khan intended.

Oh also at some point did the start point for the Mongols get moved? I recall originally only starting with one province and then after a few months of not playing, it started the way it is currently?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

gfanikf posted:

Did the Mongols get unnerfed recently? I played the Mongol scenario this morning and dear god I was able to power over everyone like crazy....just like the Khan intended.

Oh also at some point did the start point for the Mongols get moved? I recall originally only starting with one province and then after a few months of not playing, it started the way it is currently?

I dont know, in my current game it was the opposite: only the Ilkhanate appeared, no Golden Horde for some reason. And the Ilkhanate barely achieved anything in 30 years: they conquered a small area of Cumania and then just settled there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Freudian posted:

This I need to see.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

I've seen a couple similar to the aragon one above but I've not seen anything that scale. I can just imagine them all claiming to be the one true Perm.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

gfanikf posted:

Yes, they only had one province on the pre-RoI map, but they held a lot of territory that was added in that patch so got way bigger.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know, in my current game it was the opposite: only the Ilkhanate appeared, no Golden Horde for some reason. And the Ilkhanate barely achieved anything in 30 years: they conquered a small area of Cumania and then just settled there.

He's talking about the Mongol Empire startdate, which is the only way to get that specific Mongol tag. Ilkhanate/Golden Horde are distinct and will appear randomly game-by-game.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

catlord posted:

Well, apparently he's reverting to the vanilla map, but is also scaling some things back for a quicker and more focused beta release. He apparently intends to do a North Africa expansion at a later point, hopefully by that point he'll have come up with a better plan for it.

That's good at least since I can't find my Ancient Egypt map. But looking at the thread now, we got people demanding him to bring it back and someone else calling people against the expansion trolls.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Disappointing egg posted:

You need three kingdoms - Italy, Sicily, plus one other - to be able to form Italia.

That's loving stupid when there's only two Kingdoms in Italia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jedit posted:

Coatia is small and close by :v:.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Disappointing egg posted:

Really? Is this something specific to merchant republics or something new? Last time I checked it was just two kingdoms to form an empire, and merchant republics couldn't form them except through some kind of inheritance .

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^It's specific to certain "small" empires and has nothing to do with republics.

Jedit posted:

That's the idea. To form Francia you need two kingdoms, of which one must not be de jure part of Francia. It's similar for the empires of Abyssinia and Mali.

DStecks posted:

The de jure capital of the Duchy of Aragon is the county of Alto Aragon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Thrasophius posted:

I've seen a couple similar to the aragon one above but I've not seen anything that scale. I can just imagine them all claiming to be the one true Perm.

That to me looks like a duchy and a kingdom with borders that put East Prussia to shame.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure it's to stop you being able to form Italia the second you start because being able to start as Italy immediately form Italia then vassalize the Pope with your shiny De Jure claim all within the first 6 months of starting is a bit OP.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Allyn posted:

Yes, they only had one province on the pre-RoI map, but they held a lot of territory that was added in that patch so got way bigger.

He's talking about the Mongol Empire startdate, which is the only way to get that specific Mongol tag. Ilkhanate/Golden Horde are distinct and will appear randomly game-by-game.

Oh, sorry. I though it was the same (never started on any date other than the default one and 867).

Jedit posted:

Its similar with the Empire of Abyssinia: it has two de-jure kingdoms, Nubia and Abyssinia. But you need Nubia, Abyssinia and Egypt (which is out of the empire de-jure completely) to create the empire title. I have no idea why either.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Especially because since it takes a pretty long time to merge Abyssinia and Nubia, especially with the 867 start. I always felt like it was hard enough to form the kingdom without the Caliphate making GBS threads on you, then the Egypt change made it basically impossible.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's not impossible, but you do need to be very patient and built yourself up while waiting for Egypt to get her levies destroyed in a war. And allying with the Byzantines helps a lot.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Larry Parrish posted:

Especially because since it takes a pretty long time to merge Abyssinia and Nubia, especially with the 867 start. I always felt like it was hard enough to form the kingdom without the Caliphate making GBS threads on you, then the Egypt change made it basically impossible.

I did it on my last game, it is possible. But it does takes a lot more effort and time than reasonable.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
You don't get to be an empire if all you ever managed to conquer was your own neighbourhood.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

The de jure capital of the Duchy of Aragon is the county of Alto Aragon.

Yeah, Alto Aragon. Which does not show up on the map as simply Aragon. There is no Count of Aragon in CK2, unless you use the customizer DLC.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

DStecks posted:

Yeah, Alto Aragon. Which does not show up on the map as simply Aragon. There is no Count of Aragon in CK2, unless you use the customizer DLC.

You're looking at the Duchy of Aragon (north/south) and the Kingdom of Aragon (middle), which are for some reason independent of each other. The southern county is owned by the northern block. Note the borders.

It's funny but it's not mystifying.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

You're looking at the Duchy of Aragon (north/south) and the Kingdom of Aragon (middle), which are for some reason independent of each other. The southern county is owned by the northern block. Note the borders.

It's funny but it's not mystifying.

DStecks posted:

I'm pretty sure he knows this, yeah.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Allyn posted:

That would explain things. I never thought of the RoI being the factor, but that makes a lot of sense.

quote:

Yep, that said playing as the GH was a lot of fun too, it's just, no surprise, it's too big to sustain itself.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

What's really confusing is when Brittany and Leon get involved in each others' politics. There are two counties named León and Leňn, one each in Brittany and Leon, and then of course Leon the duchy and Leon the kingdom.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Since the ROI patch it's become a lot easier in the 867 start because the manpower from the additional provinces in Abyssinia and Nubia makes taking Egypt pretty easy. By the time you've conquered Abyssinia and Nubia and are ready to take on the Tulunids they're pretty much pushovers.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
What are the benefits of vassaling away kingdoms as an emperor, other than not getting the "desires kingdom of xyz" opinion penalty from some dukes? Does it help prevent succession revolts at all? I'm worried that the AI kings might fail to keep the crown authority high and let large chunks of my empire implode from family feuds.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

McGavin posted:

Since the ROI patch it's become a lot easier in the 867 start because the manpower from the additional provinces in Abyssinia and Nubia makes taking Egypt pretty easy. By the time you've conquered Abyssinia and Nubia and are ready to take on the Tulunids they're pretty much pushovers.

In my game, I started as Emir of Alexandria. I was able to expand pretty fast to the south, preying on the small miaphysites to the south, and then broke independent when Egypt was weakened by a war.

I soon became sultan of Nubia and Abyssinia, but it took a while for me to be able to take Egypt, since they were also expanding fast (to the north and west). And even when I became stronger than then, it still took a while since I pretty much had to take their land one county at a time. So it wanst very hard, but not very easy either. By the time I finally got the Egypt title and was finally able to create the empire, I had 2 more kingdom titles besides Nubia and Abyssinia, and still needed Egypt.

Its a good challenge, and its ok. But still, why require Egypt to form the empire of Abyssinia?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 2, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its a good challenge, and its ok. But still, why require Egypt to form the empire of Abyssinia?
Because:

Back To 99 posted:

You don't get to be an empire if all you ever managed to conquer was your own neighbourhood.

In the case of Abyssinia, Egypt is the natural expansion direction for a large powerful lord in Abyssinia (especially with the way the map is modeled :v:). Owning just Abyssinia and Nubia would be too easy; to declare yourself the emperor of the Upper Nile you must own the Lower Nile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also your religious head lives in Alexandria.

• Locked thread