Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waluigi on the Flame Bike with wood wheels and the cloud glider. The Bowser one was taking up too much of the screen and I couldn't see anything :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's something genuinely hosed up about matchmaking.

I can get into a room with a friend no problem but if either of us Disconnect for any reason we can never join each other again unless it's in lonely lobbies. Same thing with Tournaments. I was in one with a few goons a few minutes ago and had to go take care of something, I come back 5 minutes later and now it's shoving me in a empty room.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Look at your friends list one option up and you should see goons you've recently played withm you can join the ones playing by clicking on them.

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 2, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Champeenship posted:

Look at your friends list one option up and you should see goons you've recently played withm you can join the ones playing by clicking on them.

"Cannot join now, please try again later." Keeps popping up

Edit: And it let me join after a few more tries, I really don't understand this.

Edit: I love being in last place in races far behind and getting stars and single shrooms while people ahead of me get 3. Man the item balance in this game. Man.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 2, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm really starting to not enjoy the game because of hacks/lag and item balance.

Way too often now I am seeing people on much slower combos than me pull away without items when I am at top speed. This along with people getting hit with things and continuing to move just sucks.

The one that really gets me is this situation: I start off near the top of the race, say 3rd. The top 3 all start off well, we go through the first boxes, I get hit, they speed ahead and no one ever catches up with them. Alternately, I will be behind them the entire time and never get a red shell (or when I do, nothing happens to them and they speed along.)

If the item balance is so poor that people can't actually shoot down the leaders, what is the point? I'd say at least half my races end with the top one or two people at the start winning the race. Also, if you get hit with anything early in the race, you are often done for and can never make up ground because you are constantly in a pack hitting each other.

Game needs more lightning and more blue shells. The only thing they got right is limiting what the first place person gets and giving them the occasional mushroom. But if they never have threats coming from behind, what's the point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My go-to combo for any character is Pipe Frame - Slicks - MKTV Parafoil because I like the way it looks and that's all that matters.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mr. Scooty + Monster Tires + Roy is the only way to fly.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

JordanKai posted:

Mr. Scooty + Monster Tires + Roy is the only way to fly.

It's a Racing Moped.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Daisy on a bike 4 life.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Waluigi + Cat Cruiser + Peach Parasol, all day erryday

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Bowser, flame rider, slim. Sometimes I hop in the circuit special or the badwagon 'cause those cars are :krad:.

Edit: though I expect that once I unlock the cat cruiser I will be using that quite a bit.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

BattleCake posted:

Bowser, flame rider, slim. Sometimes I hop in the circuit special or the badwagon 'cause those cars are :krad:.

Edit: though I expect that once I unlock the cat cruiser I will be using that quite a bit.
It is really bad stats-wise unfortunately, otherwise I would :(

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Would it even be financially feasible for Nintendo to develop an entire new cup as DLC? I'm sure it took forever to develop the tracks in there now since as much I enjoy the game it does seem like it was rushed out the door as soon as the tracks were finished.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

PrBacterio posted:

It is really bad stats-wise unfortunately, otherwise I would :(
I'm consistently getting top-3 results and winning fairly often when I play online with the cat cruiser and roller tires. Real cool dudes don't care about stats and just drive the raddest vehicles. :frogc00l:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

g0lbez posted:

Would it even be financially feasible for Nintendo to develop an entire new cup as DLC? I'm sure it took forever to develop the tracks in there now since as much I enjoy the game it does seem like it was rushed out the door as soon as the tracks were finished.

Character DLC is much more likely than track DLC. Tracks require tons of new design ideas, new art, new models, new data for AI etc. and in addition to all this are much less likely to be played online because not everyone will buy it while character DLC is very simple comparatively.

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 2, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

OH NO MAN posted:

I'm consistently getting top-3 results and winning fairly often when I play online with the cat cruiser and roller tires. Real cool dudes don't care about stats and just drive the raddest vehicles. :frogc00l:

This guy gets it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My favorite kart setup, in terms of looks, is Rosalina with the Prancer, wooden wheels, and the Parasol. Who cares about stats? I just want to look pretty, drat it!

If I want a "good" combination, I usually go with Roy on the Sport Bike with the cyber slick tires. He looks good in purple. Though, a friend of mine swears by Wendy in the Mr. Scooty with the red wheels, so I may have to give that a try sometime.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009
I mentioned it before but about all I do well with is the Jet Bike with Cyber Slick tires. I also enjoy using Roy in the Badwagon with either Crimson Slim or Cyber Slick tires.

Does anyone even use the ATVs? I never see anyone with one.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Daisy with Flame Bike and Retro Offroad or bust

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Zertoss posted:

I mentioned it before but about all I do well with is the Jet Bike with Cyber Slick tires. I also enjoy using Roy in the Badwagon with either Crimson Slim or Cyber Slick tires.

From the sound of it they're just worse karts so people avoid them. I like how they look though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yoshi on Yoshi bike or bust

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Looks wise, I like the Tri-Speeder and Flame Rider with Retro Offroad. Performance wise I usually roll with Circuit Special and either Slick, Slim or Standard tires. Sometimes I go old school and use the Pipe Frame because c'mon, that's old school.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Zertoss posted:

ATVs are just really vanilla stat wise. The Wiggler is the same as the standard kart and the other two very slightly lean towards non-speed stats. They're fine balanced vehicles that nobody uses because who wants a balanced vehicle?

I've been bouncing around a lot trying different setups, but I've been partial to Bowser/Flame Bike/Rollers/Bowser Kite and Iggy/Circuit Special/Rollers/Bowser Kite. Sometimes I'll mess with someone in the max boost setup (Landship/Rollers/any light glider) but I feel that setup is very track dependent to be good.

If I knew beforehand how full a room is I might swap out the rollers for something like the Crimson Slims since in emptier rooms top speed matters more but once the chaos kicks in and you're dealing with multiple people firing off all kinds of crap the acceleration and handling of the rollers kinda win the day, especially since they don't feel that much slower overall with the mini-turbo boost.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've been trying to get the hang of inner drift bikes. I'm doing alright with Pink Gold Peach on the Jet Bike with Cyber Slick or the crimson tires. Being forced to choose every time instead of having a pre-set kart choice is nice to sample other options.

Am I right in thinking that the bikes trade the highest speed tier for being able to take shorter paths? I'll probably go back to karts eventually, just want to understand the tradeoff.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

Daisy with Flame Bike and Retro Offroad or bust

Truth. Also Retro Offroad are the best looking wheels.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

Am I right in thinking that the bikes trade the highest speed tier for being able to take shorter paths? I'll probably go back to karts eventually, just want to understand the tradeoff.
Yeah, basically. Nintendo did a little test in one of their directs and showed that Karts got slightly faster time trial times on tracks with lots of straightways and Bikes got slightly faster time trial times on tracks with lots of turns.

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
I always go with Peach/Pink Gold, Yoshi Bike, Cyber Slick and Peach's Parasol.

I've gotten really used to the very low traction and it throws me off to play with anything higher.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Do we have like an overhead view of what the different tires do, ie how they look when you come around corners, etc.? I can experiment a bit but sometimes it's too difficult to differentiate between them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Ah, there sure is nothing like leading most of an online race, getting a bunch of coins from item boxes on the last lap and then being hammered by everybody's shells and other poo poo until you're in last place. :suicide:

Well, there is also getting blasted with a blue shell just before the finish line after you've led the entire race.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Once I unlocked the Comet bike, I got a Kaneda Mii, put some monster tires on the Comet, then race around on the city maps.

Man, I should try to do that and do something cool and record it for posterity. Re-enact the "sliding bike to a halt" scene?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

HJE-Cobra posted:

Once I unlocked the Comet bike, I got a Kaneda Mii, put some monster tires on the Comet, then race around on the city maps.

Man, I should try to do that and do something cool and record it for posterity. Re-enact the "sliding bike to a halt" scene?

Have another player with an Akira mii hit you with a bob-omb or a blue shell at the end

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We're famous guys

http://www.wimp.com/kartpeople/

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukYT1xajfbo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

OH NO MAN posted:

Ah, there sure is nothing like leading most of an online race, getting a bunch of coins from item boxes on the last lap and then being hammered by everybody's shells and other poo poo until you're in last place. :suicide:

Well, there is also getting blasted with a blue shell just before the finish line after you've led the entire race.

There's always being in 10th/11th place and getting nothing but banana peels and triple mushrooms!

I was in second place pretty much the entire race in Moo Moo Farm tonight, then right at the finish line I get nailed by a blue shell (because 1st had finished) and ended up getting 6th or 7th. Tonight was not a good night for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Found on Twitter.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Online Mode is pretty accurate.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Waffleman_ posted:

Found on Twitter.

Doesn't stop me from attempting it every. single. time. :mad:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Online Mode is pretty accurate.

It's an awesome track, of course everyone picks it, including me. :colbert:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Do people really fall off the track on Shy Guy Falls a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So it turns out that my choice of Mario on the Yoshi Bike with Crimson Slim tires isn't just aesthetically pleasing, but generally a decent combination. I'm finishing 150cc races with a comfortable lead now, where I was struggling before with karts.

Takes a while to learn the sports bikes type, but they are far better to race with.

• Locked thread