Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
We have a Windows 7 camera server with BIOS Raid 5 that is constantly failing and generally being lovely. Is there a way to set up Raid 1+0 in Windows 7 software? Because the hardware only allows Raid 5 and 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

We have a Windows 7 camera server with BIOS Raid 5 that is constantly failing and generally being lovely. Is there a way to set up Raid 1+0 in Windows 7 software? Because the hardware only allows Raid 5 and 6.
Just get a RAID card :confused:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Software RAID can be a pain in the rear end honestly. RAID 6 would be the better alternative overall though.

EDIT: Instead of RAID 5.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Windows has dynamic disks but that's only good for striping, mirroring, or parity. No nested/mixed RAID configurations like 1+0.
If you can get that thing to Windows 8.1, there's Microsoft Storage Spaces, but I think still formats as NTFS instead of ReFS, due to an incomplete implementation. I think it also still does RAID-0, 1, 5, and 6, not 10/01.

There's also third-party software RAID that'll probably satisfy your needs for less than what a replacement hardware controller would cost, but I'm unsure if you want to move in such a direction and get locked in.

Edit: Have you figured out why the RAID set is failing? Are drives sleeping within the set? Perhaps some firmware tweaks could prevent this behavior.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

It's an HP. :eng99:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
On Monday I was setting up backups and installing Kaspersky on a bunch of workstations at a dental clinic client of ours, and the head doc asked me if I could change the password for all the workstations because they were all set up using a really dumb default. OK, sure, no problem, I change to what he wants it to be.

Coming back this morning after the stat holiday (:canada:) we get a panicked call first thing at 9:00; the hygienists can't to log into the stations in the exam rooms. They've tried the old and new passwords and neither works. :supaburn:

I get there and remember they're using these tiny wireless keyboards on all the stations:
http://www.amazon.ca/Perixx-PERIDUO-707B-PLUS-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B0053V17DK/
The old password was typed entirely on the left-hand side.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You walk in to the server room of a $100mil/yr company and find these are the primary firewalls:

What do you do?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

You walk in to the server room of a $100mil/yr company and find these are the primary firewalls:

What do you do?
Turn the top one on and walk out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What are they running? It might not be all bad.

Although looking at the state of that rack it probably is. I assume they are a "IT IS A COST THAT SHOULD BE AVOIDED!!!!" types of places.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

the spyder posted:

What do you do?
I've seen a $1B/year company use nothing but SonicWALLs. Said company also has C-levels that don't care about anything as long as their iPrisms are blocking Facebook and Pandora.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Caged posted:

What are they running? It might not be all bad.

Although looking at the state of that rack it probably is. I assume they are a "IT IS A COST THAT SHOULD BE AVOIDED!!!!" types of places.

PFsense 1.2

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully Novell Bordermanager.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks to lovely small business accounting software and a major ISP in our area changing their email security settings I am looking for a simple SMTP proxy/forwarder I can setup and run on Windows desktops.
Basically what has happened is that this ISP has changed their settings required for sending email, from just listening on port 25 and only accepting connections originating from their own network to a more modern and secure method of using port 465 and SSL and requiring login using the user's credentials. That is fine for most software. Small business accounting packages are not most software. They want to send email themselves and usually only allow you to configure the server address. Different ports, SSL and authentication usually leaves their support people in stunned silence as they can't find anything about it on their scripts. So I am looking for something I can run on the PC which only accepts connections from the local PC on port 25. And then forwards the message along to the ISP mail server using the appropriate settings (port 465, SSL on and login using supplied credentials). Unfortunately this seems to be a bit harder to find than you would think. I did find this one https://smtpproxy.codeplex.com/ But sadly does everything but deal with the user authentication, and people have asked for it but the author doesn't seem to understand why people would want it.
Does anyone out there have something which will do what we need.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The assistant that was trying to get me fired is hostile, demanding and unwilling to take my advice when she requests my help, which is often. I've already had four calls from her. The last one she said a large and critical Word doc was crashing and losing data. I go to her desk and see it's a marketing document with alot of images. I ask her the file size of the images and she says "300 megabytes."

She's not too smart but she understands that high res images are big files that can be cumbersome to work with. That said it didn't stop her from "saving time" by refusing to downsample these things so she had a set appropriate for Word/Powerpoint along with her high res versions for large scale printing.

So Word has crashed and I restart it to see if it can recover anything. It does, but changes are missing. I verify that the Word doc is in fact 320 megabytes and advise her that she's going to keep seeing problems unless she replaces the giant images with smaller ones so we can keep the file size under control.

Her reply is that she can't take the time and she'll just save after every single sentence. I warned her that if the doc keeps crashing she could corrupt it and lose it altogether and that she's not saving time avoiding downsampling if she keeps losing work, possibly all of it.

Doesn't matter! She'd rather be furious and talk about how lovely our systems our than show even an iota of flexibility and common sense.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Obviously you should enable compression on that file to reduce its size so Word can handle it better :downs:

Please tell me she's at least not trying to work off a network drive.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Word file is local.
The images are all on the network.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At those size's you're supposed to be using InDesign / InCopy with proxies anyway.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

The assistant that was trying to get me fired is hostile, demanding and unwilling to take my advice when she requests my help, which is often. I've already had four calls from her. The last one she said a large and critical Word doc was crashing and losing data. I go to her desk and see it's a marketing document with alot of images. I ask her the file size of the images and she says "300 megabytes."

She's not too smart but she understands that high res images are big files that can be cumbersome to work with. That said it didn't stop her from "saving time" by refusing to downsample these things so she had a set appropriate for Word/Powerpoint along with her high res versions for large scale printing.

So Word has crashed and I restart it to see if it can recover anything. It does, but changes are missing. I verify that the Word doc is in fact 320 megabytes and advise her that she's going to keep seeing problems unless she replaces the giant images with smaller ones so we can keep the file size under control.

Her reply is that she can't take the time and she'll just save after every single sentence. I warned her that if the doc keeps crashing she could corrupt it and lose it altogether and that she's not saving time avoiding downsampling if she keeps losing work, possibly all of it.

Doesn't matter! She'd rather be furious and talk about how lovely our systems our than show even an iota of flexibility and common sense.

You're not alone: http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/29muje/rant_feel_as_if_i_am_being_bullied/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Caged posted:

At those size's you're supposed to be using InDesign / InCopy with proxies anyway.

She has the full Creative Suite but she doesn't know how to do anything the right way. She told her boss she had a graphic design background but I had to teach her the basics of Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. She constantly does this thing where she has a problem, I tell her how to resolve it and she says "I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT" so she can stay angry. Just terrible.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

vibur posted:

I've seen a $1B/year company use nothing but SonicWALLs.

Ok. I'll bite. What's wrong with SonicWALLs? (Yeah I'm a CSSA my company paid $400 for me to guess all the answers correctly).

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Varkk posted:

Thanks to lovely small business accounting software and a major ISP in our area changing their email security settings I am looking for a simple SMTP proxy/forwarder I can setup and run on Windows desktops.
Basically what has happened is that this ISP has changed their settings required for sending email, from just listening on port 25 and only accepting connections originating from their own network to a more modern and secure method of using port 465 and SSL and requiring login using the user's credentials. That is fine for most software. Small business accounting packages are not most software. They want to send email themselves and usually only allow you to configure the server address. Different ports, SSL and authentication usually leaves their support people in stunned silence as they can't find anything about it on their scripts. So I am looking for something I can run on the PC which only accepts connections from the local PC on port 25. And then forwards the message along to the ISP mail server using the appropriate settings (port 465, SSL on and login using supplied credentials). Unfortunately this seems to be a bit harder to find than you would think. I did find this one https://smtpproxy.codeplex.com/ But sadly does everything but deal with the user authentication, and people have asked for it but the author doesn't seem to understand why people would want it.

You could set up postfix to act as an unauthenticated relay for machines on your LAN and pass the messages to your ISP's server with credentials. Then just point the accounting software at the machine running postfix. This works great for old copier/scanners too, just don't expose your open relay outside your LAN, or your ISP's engineers will be displeased with you.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

I think this poor fella has an image problem. If you just take the crap that people heap on you without a word about it, they will continue to do so, and said image will continue to sink into the mire.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Varkk posted:

IIS will do this. It can authenticate as a user, and then you just have to grant that user sendas rights for the users the mail should be coming from.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

She has the full Creative Suite but she doesn't know how to do anything the right way. She told her boss she had a graphic design background but I had to teach her the basics of Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. She constantly does this thing where she has a problem, I tell her how to resolve it and she says "I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT" so she can stay angry. Just terrible.

I'm getting ready to leave and she comes tearing around the corner by the elevators. She is crying genuine tears because her beluga whale of a Word document won't open. Why?

"Word cannot open documents larger than 512MB"

When I checked Explorer the file was 590 megs! So she was sitting there shaking and quietly weeping because she said this was weeks of work down the drain. Despite my distaste for this terrible person I was very nice to her and turned the Word file into a zip so I could browse it and pull out all the 30 meg TIFFs she'd added. Voila, working Word doc that's now 50 goddamn megs instead of 590. I have her linking to those images instead of inserting them and this will work fine since the end goal is to turn the thing into a PDF.

She also said the magic words: "I should've listened to what you said earlier."

Of course she's still be horrible to me but it was a nice moment.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm getting ready to leave and she comes tearing around the corner by the elevators. She is crying genuine tears because her beluga whale of a Word document won't open. Why?

"Word cannot open documents larger than 512MB"

When I checked Explorer the file was 590 megs! So she was sitting there shaking and quietly weeping because she said this was weeks of work down the drain. Despite my distaste for this terrible person I was very nice to her and turned the Word file into a zip so I could browse it and pull out all the 30 meg TIFFs she'd added. Voila, working Word doc that's now 50 goddamn megs instead of 590. I have her linking to those images instead of inserting them and this will work fine since the end goal is to turn the thing into a PDF.

And not a single thing was learned by her today. She will return home, sleep, brain will reset and she will do the same thing again.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

They all say that, but when it comes time again, they'll go right back to their old ways. I think they do that to sucker you in to helping them with their bullshit problems again.

*e*
:argh: beaten

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dick Trauma posted:

That's when you ask if you can get that in writing. I bet she has a crush on you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I too go to HR to try and get the objects of my affection fired.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I too go to HR to try and get the objects of my affection fired.

She's just playing hard to get, obv.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
She asked HR if it was cool to date coworkers and they said no, and that's when she decided you had to go.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Dick Trauma posted:

Get this in email/writing and make sure to point to it every time this re-occurs. Get the paper trail going and you can then prove to management that this person is incompetent and doesn't deserve their job.

Once you do this a couple of times people will remember not to mess with you.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

vibur posted:

I've seen a $1B/year company use nothing but SonicWALLs. Said company also has C-levels that don't care about anything as long as their iPrisms are blocking Facebook and Pandora.

Got you all beat - I maintain BL20P Gen 3 servers that run the classified email system. They say we're going to migrate off them soon, but no idea when. I give thanks that I only have 6 days left- poo poo, I just realized that I'll be moving to a new position that will require me to be supporting the software on these servers rather than the hardware. poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

joe944 posted:

Get this in email/writing and make sure to point to it every time this re-occurs. Get the paper trail going and you can then prove to management that this person is incompetent and doesn't deserve their job.

Once you do this a couple of times people will remember not to mess with you.

A good way to get that is to email them, while they're still feeling grateful, an "is it really fixed ?" email, and then get a response.

Just keep in mind that some people get really pissed off when they blame their incompetence at an important task on you, and then you produce an email thanking you for the very helpful training. Like, vendetta pissed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to hire a third-party IT company to set up a server for my small office. Three instances of Windows Server 2012 R2 on a VMWare ESXi machine, two of the instances running SQL, one being a domain controller/print server/file server. He quoted 65-85 hours of labor. That seems excessive to me, but I am not familiar with this sort of virtualized server setup (otherwise, I'd be doing it myself). Does that sound appropriate?

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I'm trying to hire a third-party IT company to set up a server for my small office. Three instances of Windows Server 2012 R2 on a VMWare ESXi machine, two of the instances running SQL, one being a domain controller/print server/file server. He quoted 65-85 hours of labor. That seems excessive to me, but I am not familiar with this sort of virtualized server setup (otherwise, I'd be doing it myself). Does that sound appropriate?

You didn't really include enough info about the scope of the project to answer that. If it's just setting up the hardware, creating the VMs and installing the OSes and SQL, then it's probably a bit high. If there's migration of data, joining machines to the domain and the stuff that goes with it, detailed folder/share structure/permissions setup, actual database setup or reconfiguration of existing apps...I could go on and on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

code:
"Network speeds in the accounting office are slow"

Remote onto server, ping workstations, ping google, everything is sub 50ms
Speeds are manageable, closing ticket
code:
"Network speeds in the accounting office are at a standstill"

Remote onto server, ping workstations, ping google, everything is sub 50ms
Attempt to open up several different web pages, they load instantly
Open network shares on several machines in accounting office, everything loads instantly
Closing ticket
code:
"Network is slow AGAIN in accounting office, PLEASE actually fix"

Remote onto machine of person who submitted ticket 
Open up internet explorer, load several web pages, everything loads instantly (despite three different toolbars installed)
Open network shares on server, everything loads instantly
Open system tray on hunch, thinking they have 3rd party network-manager-bloatware 
loving Limewire is installed
Uninstall Limewire, delete downloads folder with every movie and TV episode she's downloaded at work 
Revoked local admin rights on machine (that she shouldn't have)
Disconnect from rest of network, start antivirus scans
Holy poo poo, Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

You could set up postfix to act as an unauthenticated relay for machines on your LAN and pass the messages to your ISP's server with credentials. Then just point the accounting software at the machine running postfix. This works great for old copier/scanners too, just don't expose your open relay outside your LAN, or your ISP's engineers will be displeased with you.

This.

You don't run a local email proxy on all workstations, rather you run a single central one and point all the workstations there.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Just as an eyeball, that's slightly less then two weeks full time. Unless there are complicating factors, I would have said that was a three day job, tops.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sir_Substance posted:

Just as an eyeball, that's slightly less then two weeks full time. Unless there are complicating factors, I would have said that was a three day job, tops.

But again as someone said, setting up servers and installing the OS is one thing. Actually making them usable and migrating data etc. is another thing entirely, and if it's being migrated from a terrible setup or no setup at all it could take even longer. I'm assuming Thanatosian didn't just start this company yesterday.

Also, I'd rather estimate high and end up saying "hey it only took us 50 hours so here's your lower bill" - clients get very angry when you come back going "yeah, we figured wrong and it'll actually take another couple thousand bucks", and start throwing around words like "extortion" and "bullshit" and "why didn't you properly estimate this in the first place you clearly don't know what you're doing".

If it's just the actual installs, I'd break it down something like:

--Physical install, racking etc - 1-2 hours
--Updating firmware & installing ESXi - 2-3 hours, depending on firmware
--Configuring ESXi (create datastores, configure networking, NTP, etc) - 30 minutes
--Downloading/uploading ISOs and creating virtual machines - 1 hour
--3 simultaneous installs and full update cycle of Server 2012 R2, assuming you didn't make a template because you don't have vCenter - 1-2 hours
--Install SQL - 30 minutes
--Promote machine to DC and create domain from scratch - 30 minutes
--Install print server and file server role - 15 minutes (realistically these should not be on your domain controller)

This all assumes you have a reasonably new server that does these things quickly. These are also my actual estimates going at a reasonable pace, not my Scotty estimates, i.e. I would not want to tell a customer these in case something took far longer than expected. (i.e. if I came in without the relevant ISOs and had to download them and you have DSL, well see you tomorrow).

But again, after 8-10 hours that would leave you with a brand new domain, with no users/groups, and barely configured file & print servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Kachunkachunk posted:

If you can get that thing to Windows 8.1, there's Microsoft Storage Spaces, but I think still formats as NTFS instead of ReFS, due to an incomplete implementation. I think it also still does RAID-0, 1, 5, and 6, not 10/01.
There is a dropdown that lets you choose the filesystem. Some of the more advanced features like using an SSD to cache frequently-used data require you to initialize the Storage Space in WS2012R2, though.

• Locked thread