Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I like how spanish slivers are framentados

In French, Slivers are called Slivoïdes. It doesn't mean anything (well the -oide is a suffix used in animal nomenclature).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

Assuming that you do all this in the same turn, your number of turns from Ral Zarek are actually bounded since you only get one extra (with which you would use another +1) Ral activation every time you +1 with him. It's even possible to get 0 extra turns.

You could just win with infinite 2/2 satyrs though.

Edit: Nevermind, I get it. Infinite 2/2s with haste when your opponent has no mana works though.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 2, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

Couldn't you activate his ultimate multiple times in a turn, or does the flipping replace turns? Like 5 heads > 3 heads gives you 3 turns not 8?

How would you ultimate him multiple times per turn? Each +1 Ral Zarek does untaps the Chain Veil once. The Chain Veil has to tap once for each time Ral Zarek +1's.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Don't, in general, pay money for packs just to open them. It is always a bad deal, the same way as a slot machine is.

Gensuki posted:

Couldn't you activate his ultimate multiple times in a turn, or does the flipping replace turns? Like 5 heads > 3 heads gives you 3 turns not 8?

As soon as he stops untapping the Chain Veil, you can't use his abilities anymore this turn.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mortimer posted:

What kinds of magic stores do you visit exactly?

These all sound like poo poo. Don't waste your money on poo poo. You hear me? Don't buy 10 card no-rare packs. Don't buy store repacks. Don't give money to stores that won't let you play with your friends.

It was just a bit of fun and idle curiosity - I didn't expect to see Mtg at a dollar store. It was the first time I'd been to this place (again, a dollar store), and quite likely the last.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So I was watching http://www.twitch.tv/mtgradio play EDH.

He gets out Mana Echos + Grenzo then this happens.

And then 240+ mana gets pumped into Lavafume Invoker.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Rinkles posted:

It was just a bit of fun and idle curiosity - I didn't expect to see Mtg at a dollar store. It was the first time I'd been to this place (again, a dollar store), and quite likely the last.

Was it wrapped in foil like a regular booster? If it was and is from a current set I didn't know they made those anymore.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I imagine they'll clear up the confusion on The Chain Veil soon. I also imagine the wording on the actual card is so obtuse that it'll cause confusion for years no matter what the actual ruling is.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I am a flavor nerd, and just found out each of the legends from the commander 2013 run has a little bio in the info pamphlet that comes with the decks. I don't want to spend $90 on the white, red, and green centered decks, but I was wondering if there was a place I could read the blurbs on-line?

Also, are the red and green ones bad? They're the only ones I can still find anywhere... Marath and Prossh seemed pretty cool, Prossh especially since he can win in 3 swings?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Gensuki posted:

I am a flavor nerd, and just found out each of the legends from the commander 2013 run has a little bio in the info pamphlet that comes with the decks. I don't want to spend $90 on the white, red, and green centered decks, but I was wondering if there was a place I could read the blurbs on-line?

Also, are the red and green ones bad? They're the only ones I can still find anywhere... Marath and Prossh seemed pretty cool, Prossh especially since he can win in 3 swings?

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/271

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BXCX posted:

Was it wrapped in foil like a regular booster? If it was and is from a current set I didn't know they made those anymore.

Nope. Repackaged in a clear packet, with the cards turned to show their backs on both sides. Out of the twenty, most were from M14, a few from the Zendikar block, a couple from Innistrad, there was an odd Lorwyn, and a pair with the old card face styling (Odyssey and Nemesis, if I remember my symbols correctly). One uncommon came from a Duel Decks reprint, I think.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I just confirmed with Matt Tabak via Twitter that Nissa + Ral Zarek + Chain Veil is infinite. Of course this means that we need to goon construct the bestest RUG deck ever to durdle with!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Thank you!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Nope. Repackaged in a clear packet, with the cards turned to show their backs on both sides. Out of the twenty, most were from M14, a few from the Zendikar block, a couple from Innistrad, there was an odd Lorwyn, and a pair with the old card face styling (Odyssey and Nemesis, if I remember my symbols correctly). One uncommon came from a Duel Decks reprint, I think.

:psyduck: what the hell did you buy

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

En Fuego posted:

I just confirmed with Matt Tabak via Twitter that Nissa + Ral Zarek + Chain Veil is infinite. Of course this means that we need to goon construct the bestest RUG deck ever to durdle with!

So is new Nissa better for that than Xenagos, or is it just that her mana is more reliable?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

En Fuego posted:

Funny, since Riki Hayashi was trying to say it's not.

Pretty sure Tabak wins that fight, though.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Gensuki posted:

So is new Nissa better for that than Xenagos, or is it just that her mana is more reliable?

That was just the one I knew would work. I hadn't heard of the Xenagos way before I asked.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

En Fuego posted:

Unfortunately there are basically zero cheap card filtering or cantrips in this Standard which is usually a hallmark of fun combo decks. I suppose its possible to slot it in as the kill condition in a five color deck that has some tutoring in it and a bunch of removal.

I bet you could make a fun FNM deck at the very least.

Gensuki posted:

Requires less pieces to combo off. The odds of rolling a zero on Ral seem lower than the odds of having a bigger and more fragile combo interrupted.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Gensuki posted:

Thank you!

And the ones for the 2011 Commanders as well if you are interested.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/stf/148

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mortimer posted:

Repacks. He bought repacks.

Repacks are even shittier than boosters, never buy them.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Mortimer posted:

A great way to turn cards that buylist for .25 cents into 5 cents apiece!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What a Judas posted:

Funny, since Riki Hayashi was trying to say it's not.

Pretty sure Tabak wins that fight, though.

Riki Hayashi is a great Judge so I think it just goes to show how unclear the ability is as written.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Repacks. He bought repacks.

Repacks are even shittier than boosters, never buy them.

Statistically, are they really a shittier deal?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

They are how people sell the cards that are literally worthless. They take bulk cards bought at 5 dollars per 1000 and re-package them. An absolute scam.

I will happily sell you 100 card repacks for a dollar each.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

Repacks aren't really random, they're just an assortment of non-valuable cards.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Unfortunately there are basically zero cheap card filtering or cantrips in this Standard which is usually a hallmark of fun combo decks. I suppose its possible to slot it in as the kill condition in a five color deck that has some tutoring in it and a bunch of removal.

the real problem is that Ral Zarek is a bad card to be playing in a deck. You shouldnt use bad cards to make a combo, especially one that doesnt win you the game on the spot

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yes, because boosters can contain cards worth more than the cost of the booster, while repacks cannot, because why would you put that in a repack?

They're a way to move unwantable commons and uncommons out of inventory by exploiting the same psychology that makes people play roulette. Buying them is giving money away to get cards you would never ask for.

EDIT: Beaten as gently caress, but yeah, repacks are there to squeeze money out of little kids. Everyone with money should just buy the cards they want, and everyone without money should want cheaper cards.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Dollar store repack sealed would be a sick gp format.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

Yes, because boosters can contain cards worth more than the cost of the booster, while repacks cannot, because why would you put that in a repack?

That's not necessarily true. The best way to do repacks is to include a valuable card in a few of the packs. That way your eBay seller ratings have some guy posting "GREAT SELLER Ordered 3, opened an Underground Sea!"

"GOT A KARAKAS ORDERING 5 MORE"

The key is to sell so many of them that you get back 3-4x what the valuable cards were.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What is the best way to buy bulk bulk? Like poo poo to mess around with, not a carefully selected card list of singles for your standard deck?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

What is the best way to buy bulk bulk? Like poo poo to mess around with, not a carefully selected card list of singles for your standard deck?

Most LGS's have decent piles of bulk. Some places are pretty strict about "10 cent uncommons" or whatever but many places might sell bulk lots.

Worst case scenario, I will happily mail you bulk cards from any recent set at 6 dollars per 1000 + shipping.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Find a store with a commons/un-commons box and ask them what they're bulk rate is?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Stinky Pit posted:

That's not necessarily true. The best way to do repacks is to include a valuable card in a few of the packs. That way your eBay seller ratings have some guy posting "GREAT SELLER Ordered 3, opened an Underground Sea!"

"GOT A KARAKAS ORDERING 5 MORE"

The key is to sell so many of them that you get back 3-4x what the valuable cards were.

The key is actually to do the tiny amount of fraudulent legwork to get reviews like that attached to an account that does not actually send out those cards.

Would you buy lotto tickets from ebay? Unregulated gambling is a bitch.

Rinkles posted:

Play sealed at prereleases, or draft. The EV on packs opened for limited isn't better, but you at least get a play experience out of them.

You CAN buy regular fuckin' booster packs and crack them, as long as you know you're losing money. Repacks, though, are always a worse deal.

Or just make a bunch of goofy lists on cockatrice and then go buy the cards for 'em. You'll at least end up with cards that you wanted at SOME point.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Rinkles posted:

I'm pretty happy with eBay's lot sales; within a couple months of a set's release you can generally get a 4x set of every common/uncommon for ~$30 shipped.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Or just make a bunch of goofy lists on cockatrice and then go buy the cards for 'em. You'll at least end up with cards that you wanted at SOME point.

There's something I enjoy about creating a deck with what I'm given. That's why I was asking about cheap bulk (not relying on good rares). The repacks today were a $2 one-time caprice.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Zoness posted:

Assuming that you do all this in the same turn, your number of turns from Ral Zarek are actually bounded since you only get one extra (with which you would use another +1) Ral activation every time you +1 with him. It's even possible to get 0 extra turns.

You could just win with infinite 2/2 satyrs though.

It's actually quite easy to continually chain turns. Say 2 coins come up heads. You've just gotten 2 extra turns. The next turn you activate Ral's ultimate again and 2 more coins come up heads. Now your total extra turns is 3. Repeat, etc. You can actually activate his ultimate twice each turn (with Chain Veil), so you'd actually have to hit multiple 0 out of 5 flips in a row to stop taking extra turns.

But yeah, just use Xenagos' ultimate once to go over 4 creatures in play, then the next turn bring out infinite 2/2 satyrs with your infinite mana.

Christmasland: T1 Mystic, T2 Mystic + Caryatid, T3 Xenagos +1 > Chainveil, T4 Ral Zarek + any 3-drop or below creature > infinite loyalty counters on both Planeswalkers > infinite turns.

qbert fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 3, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Rinkles posted:

There may be some posters in our MtG Buy/Sell/Trade Thread who would be happy to send you piles of the bulkiest of their bulk for prices that are better than buylisting for them while still being cheap for you. Most retailers will buylist bulk commons/uncommons for around $2-5 per 1000.

Fake edit: Posters like this who are good to trade with on the internets:

Stinky Pit posted:

Worst case scenario, I will happily mail you bulk cards from any recent set at 6 dollars per 1000 + shipping.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you're going to buy a big old pile of bulk, consider playing some wizard's tower with them.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 3, 2014

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Snacksmaniac posted:

Dollar store repack sealed would be a sick gp format.

A GP with Fallen Empires/Homelands sealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A big flaming stink posted:

the real problem is that Ral Zarek is a bad card to be playing in a deck. You shouldnt use bad cards to make a combo, especially one that doesnt win you the game on the spot

The Ral + Nissa + Chain Veil combo has a 96.875% chance of winning the game on the spot. It might be fun to slot into a Superfriends deck, although it certainly won't be the focus of any decks in this Standard.

• Locked thread