Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Calico Noose posted:

If you find a way let me know, It's got that wonderfully gut deep sickening feeling that you're very clearly living a society governed by genuinely evil people who would be applauding the Nazi party if this was the 1930's and being unable to have a meaningful impact and the dream of earning enough to be able to leave a move somewhere not run by malignant scum is remote and made further dwindling by every single action they take to try and crush the workers to keep their snouts in the trough... and it's all so loving blatant, I don't understand how anybody can look at the current government and see anything but greed, fear and corruption yet this doesn't draw more than mild annoyance from the majority of the nation.

How did we end up like this?

Oh, I don't think they would be just applauding the Nazis so much as they would be part of the Nazis, the ones implementing and coming up with Nazi policy. Actually, at least the Nazis had an actual, for real financial collapse as a bad excuse, the dog fuckers running things in Australia? Not so much.

As for reasons? It gets them votes, votes are power, and power is things like free scholarships for your kids and comfy, well payed positions in government and industry for you and your buddies, and they only need pay for it with a little refugee blood and the ruination of Australia's social safety net, so why not? As for why it gets them votes... Well, racism is my answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Ugh, Janet Albrechtsen has officially been appointed to the board that oversees ABC and SBS board appointments. The oversight board was established by Rudd so that Australia would no longer see blatantly partisan appointments to the boards of our public broadcasters, such as the appointment of Janet Albrechtsen to the ABC board by Howard.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
How's that whole 'changing Labor policy from within' thing going. We can't forget this is partly their fault. You know, when we put these monsters on trial for literal crimes against humanity.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

I would not feel bad if she was cyber bullied enough that she killed herself out of shame. People like that never kill themselves out of shame, but I hope she's an exception. I would cyber bully that woman happily right now.

You're my kind of people Fruity.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Konomex posted:

How's that whole 'changing Labor policy from within' thing going. We can't forget this is partly their fault. You know, when we put these monsters on trial for literal crimes against humanity.

gently caress trials IMO, they can afford the best lawyers and went to school with the judges.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Mr Chips posted:

The military aren't running immigration facilities on Manus Island, but sure, let's deploy a theatre communications system in our concentration camps. It'll be ok, SA forums poster hypation likes to take time to politely answer interview questions.

edit: Hypation is IWC, right?

Well apparently:

adamantium|wang posted:

Immigration department officials screen asylum seekers at sea 'via teleconference'

Which means on the navy and customs patrol boats that intercepted them, which already (presumably) have VSAT communications capabilities.
But hey, I'm allegedly IWC so whatever...

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
No, you're just a moron that routinely farts loudly then leaves, satisfied that you have once again brought peace and balance to Auspol with your ringing attempts to defend the indefensible.

quote:

On-water asylum screening plan 'shelved amid fears it could be unlawful'

Immigration department considered using Australian customs vessels as 'motherships' to process claims as early as 2012, former official reveals

Paul Farrell and Oliver Laughland
theguardian.com, Wednesday 2 July 2014 19.54 AEST

The immigration department considered using Australian customs vessels as “motherships” to interview and process asylum seekers as early as 2012 but was advised the process could be unlawful, according to a former department officer.

The revelation follows a report by Fairfax Media on Wednesday that asylum seekers on board one of two boats believed to have been trying to reach Australia in the past week were taken aboard the Australian customs vessel Triton at the weekend and subjected to a screening process via teleconference.

Whether or not this turns out to be correct, the department has previously considered plans to interview and screen asylum seekers on board the customs Ocean Protector and the Triton, according to the former immigration department officer, Greg Lake.

Lake, a former senior immigration department official, told Guardian Australia on Wednesday that the department had “road tested” plans to use Australian customs boats the Ocean Protector and Triton as venues to conduct refugee interviews.

“The department has previously considered a mothership model where people are screened out or interviewed on-water – using enhanced screening, for example – before being taken either back to their home country or to Manus or Nauru,” Lake said.

He said the plans – which would mean asylum seekers would never be taken to any part of Australia, including Christmas Island – had been at the stage where they were ready to be implemented, but were stopped owing to legal advice the department received.

“The reason it didn’t happen is the senior counsel for the department advised it was not legal to hold a person in a mothership situation, because when you detain a person your primary reason for detention has to be to take them to a detention facility. We couldn’t justify sitting them in a mothership.”

A spokesman for the immigration minister, Scott Morrison, said in response to the claims by Fairfax Media that “in accordance with the policy established by the Operation Sovereign Borders joint agency taskforce commander, the government does not comment on speculation or reporting regarding on-water operations”.

The minister’s office has not responded to Guardian Australia’s further questions about the earlier advice received by the department to interview asylum seekers on customs vessels.

Late on Wednesday the Human Rights Law Centre in Melbourne sent an urgent request for action to the UN high commissioner for human rights.

The letter, seen by Guardian Australia, urges the commissioner to intervene and request Australia disclose the whereabouts of the asylum seekers on board the boats, refrain from returning them to Sri Lanka, and allow them to lodge a protection application in the presence of a lawyer.

"You can’t just deliver 200 people straight back into the hands of those they claim to be fleeing,” said Daniel Webb, director of legal advocacy at the centre.

“Doing so would be a clear breach of international law. We’re asking the UN special rapporteur on torture to take urgent action to stop this from happening.”

The mothership screening process would be a way to “triage” asylum seekers who may have genuine claims and to allow for the immediate deportation of those who are screened out and found not to have genuine claims.

The Australian director of Human Rights Watch Australia, Elaine Pearson, said if the Fairfax report was confirmed the risks to asylum seekers who might be returned were grave.

“If Australia is conducting enhanced screening on-board and handing people over to the Sri Lankan authorities after only a cursory interview, this is extremely disturbing and probably unlawful under the refugee convention.

“Especially given Sri Lanka’s record of repression and abuses, it is entirely inappropriate to hand over people who may have legitimate asylum claims over to Sri Lankan forces.

“The Australian government’s attitude of “what happens at sea, stays at sea” has to end – it’s time for the government to be more open and transparent about what is going on.”

In the absence of guidance from the immigration department, confusion has swirled for days over the fate of the two vessels, if indeed there do turn out to be two vessels and not one, and whether the Sri Lankan navy are now involved.

The Australian reported on Wednesday that there were plans for asylum seekers from one of the vessels to be transferred to the Sri Lankan military.

But Commodore Kosala Warnakulasuriya, a spokesman for the Sri Lankan navy who was quoted in the Australian’s report, told Guardian Australia no vessel had been dispatched to conduct a transfer.

“No, I don’t have any sort of official information to make a confirmation of that,” he said. “Nothing has been sent to our office about any official report about any sort of captured refugees in Australia.”

The Sri Lankan high commissioner in Australia, Admiral Thisara Samarasinghe, told Guardian Australia on Wednesday he had received “no notification” of any Sri Lankan naval vessel being engaged.

The Indian high commissioner Biren Nanda told Guardian Australia in response to questions about the vessel: “We have no information. When there is a consulate issue affecting India, we receive information. All we know is what we have seen in media reports.

“We have not received any official information about this case. I’m unable to comment on what we might do in the circumstances.”

On Wednesday Labor and the Greens called on Tony Abbott to provide details on the fate of asylum seekers on board both boats.

“Australians deserve to know exactly how low our government is prepared to go for their domestic political mantra and just how cruel they’re prepared to be to people, and just how far they’re prepared to trash Australia’s reputation in international circles,” the Greens leader, Senator Christine Milne, said.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fruity Gordo posted:

I would not feel bad if she was cyber bullied enough that she killed herself out of shame. People like that never kill themselves out of shame, but I hope she's an exception. I would cyber bully that woman happily right now.

You know, I used to take issue with this sort of thing, but not any more. poo poo has literally become so stupid that I don't care if the people responsible for our toxic culture choose to kill they are selves.

I'm sure that makes me a horrible person.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

In the first 90 seconds of the video she gives her name so go hog wild.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Tommofork posted:

In the first 90 seconds of the video she gives her name so go hog wild.

Can you please keep me updated on the hopefully public naming/shaming she's receiving?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

Can you please keep me updated on the hopefully public naming/shaming she's receiving?

https://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F&refid=8&_rdr#!/sue.wilkins2?fref=nf

You're welcome

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

e: nm

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 3, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Dear SES, please tell your volunteers not to get on the terps and racially vilify people on the train,
A. Goon

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Public transport racists always seem to set everything on their profiles to public. Hell, she even has it set so any random person can comment on her posts.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Literally hope she gets killed by a eucalypt branch next high wind

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Someone with more time than I currently have needs to talk to the Anti Discrimination Board of NSW about whether or not this is a contravention of section 20C of the Anti-Discrimination Act, and how a complaint can be made about it.

http://www.antidiscrimination.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/aa1977204/s20c.html

quote:

It is unlawful for a person, by a public act, to incite hatred towards, serious contempt for, or severe ridicule of, a person or group of persons on the ground of the race of the person or members of the group.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Captain Pissweak posted:

Uh but that's illegitimate because imo he can't just do that and we're not that bad.

imo

Oh, we're not the Nazis! Heavens to betsy.

We're the people giving Jews back to the Nazis because, ew, don't want their type here.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This is literally what we are.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

If this is the same person then she's gained a lot of weight and moved interstate in the last couple months

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Roughly 50% according to the government.
How do you torture someone gently?

Mithranderp posted:

There's a pretty depressing article up on ABC about the "voluntary returns" being offered to asylum seekers.

Redundancy aside, the department seems to be willingly ignoring the fact that consent given under duress isn't consent. If your only other option is to live in squalid, semi-torturous, sometimes fatal conditions for goodness knows how long...I'd say that's duress.
The thought that someone, who at the time of their decision is being actively harmed and under explicit duress, could make a voluntary statement beggars belief.

Small fries in the face of our intention as a nation to explicitly defy the Human Rights convention (To which we somehow remain a signatory) but it turns out Jacqui Lambie. Is not only an AJ but was part of the AJ Po Po, well until she:

quote:

We all had drinks one day and I took a swing at him. That got me charged. I wouldn't say it was worth it, because all I did was break my little finger. I lost a stripe for it.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/the-underdog-bites-back-20140414-36m7y.html#ixzz36MQoIQY5

FFS Australia.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Anemone Thief posted:

If this is the same person then she's gained a lot of weight and moved interstate in the last couple months

Rochester SES is near Kyabram. No way would she be commuting on a Newcastle to Sydney line. Try again goons.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Small fries in the face of our intention as a nation to explicitly defy the Human Rights convention (To which we somehow remain a signatory) but it turns out Jacqui Lambie. Is not only an AJ but was part of the AJ Po Po, well until she:

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/the-underdog-bites-back-20140414-36m7y.html#ixzz36MQoIQY5

FFS Australia.

This whole article is Burnie.txt

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
They all look the same to me

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

freebooter posted:

Oh, we're not the Nazis! Heavens to betsy.

We're the people giving Jews back to the Nazis because, ew, don't want their type here.

I always assumed Morrison was basically Oscar Schindler except instead of successfully smuggling refugees out of the country to be used as slave labour, the train instead drops them off directly at Auschwitz.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.
Tangentialchat.

Recently, I've been working for a firm that sub-contracts training and motivational seminars in the JSA sector. In essence, they find the worst performing job network agencies in the JSA (who apparently have an average success rate of somewhere between 2% - 10% [per group of 10 - 20, groups determined by region] when it comes to transitioning long term unemployed into work) and offer to motivate, polish (haircuts, clothes, etc), and reverse market their clients to employers, which the job network agencies absolutely love because they are, broadly speaking, a bunch of all-stick-no-carrot slackarsed fucks who can barely remember their own names let alone successfully place someone into even the most casual work.

The amounts of money involved are absolutely staggering. In ball park figures, there is a not inconsiderable (several thousand dollar) upfront fee paid by the government for placing someone into work, but for every person who stays in work for 13 - 26 weeks, the job network agency receives a 20k-30k payment. This doesn't include the wage subsidy program, wherein employing someone for 13 - 26 weeks on an award wage that is generally around $15 - $20 an hour nets you, the employer, lump sums at the 13 and 26 week marks equal to up to 90% of the wages you have paid out over that period (at maximum around $4k, but often around $2.5k).

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Of course Sri Lanka is a peaceful country they're all Buddhists or some poo poo - T.Abs

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

tomkash posted:

Would studying conservation and land management at tafe actually lead to employment or usable skills? It seems pretty interesting and I'd love to work in a field where I can actually do some good and enjoy my job. It's hard to find real information about it online though.

Anecdotally there has been an increase in people paid for bush remediation, but that's local so it'll depend what your council is up to, on a wider scale the industry was growing when I was involved 5 years ago.

Cert III + should be helpful. Consider that us peons that were involved in governments 'Greencorps' program and presumably the upcoming 'Green Army' are awarded either a Cert I or II in Conservation and Land Management as part of these programs. (nevermind that you'll learn a lot more)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Small Keating posted:

Tangentialchat.

This reminds me, don't those providers pretty much sit on their rear end more than usual for any people freshly on Newstart, since they can't get that sweet kickback money until the person becomes long-term unemployed?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

drunkill posted:

Are you a white, Australian male with a small penis? Well too bad, it seems you can only get asian girlfriends and are not good enough to have a white partner.

At least that's how it is according to this fine lady on the train in NSW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBdYvN49eRU&t=91s
Skip to 1:30 for it to really start. It starts off with her complaining about kids not giving up their seats for her then she goes full racist.

What's the law in Aus regarding fighting words? Because even though I'm not a very aggressive guy I don't think I'd be able to hold back from giving her at least a shove once she starts flinging slurs around. :ohdear:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
It can't get any worse.

*three seconds later*

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...4-1226976039490

SIX WEEK OLD BABY SENT TO CHRISTMAS ISLAND :suicide:

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Bifauxnen posted:

This reminds me, don't those providers pretty much sit on their rear end more than usual for any people freshly on Newstart, since they can't get that sweet kickback money until the person becomes long-term unemployed?

That wouldn't surprise me. They seem like, by and large, some of the most discombobulated and corrupt fuckheads in existence. Several of them are apparently also forming their own RTOs so that they can funnel grant money from the government for the education and training of long-term unemployed candidates into their own pockets.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Hang yourself you worthless cretin.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Small Keating posted:

Tangentialchat.

Recently, I've been working for a firm that sub-contracts training and motivational seminars in the JSA sector. In essence, they find the worst performing job network agencies in the JSA (who apparently have an average success rate of somewhere between 2% - 10% [per group of 10 - 20, groups determined by region] when it comes to transitioning long term unemployed into work) and offer to motivate, polish (haircuts, clothes, etc), and reverse market their clients to employers, which the job network agencies absolutely love because they are, broadly speaking, a bunch of all-stick-no-carrot slackarsed fucks who can barely remember their own names let alone successfully place someone into even the most casual work.

Why, in your opinion, have job network providers become so shockingly bad at what they do?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

I signed up with a couple when looking for jobs and literally never got contacted by them. I asked why, and they said it's because they get enough responses through posting ads on Gumtree and seek, so there was no point messaging people individually.

You have to remember that they don't give a poo poo about you. They are after corporate clients.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Why, in your opinion, have job network providers become so shockingly bad at what they do?

So far as I can tell:

1. They have poorly motivated and coordinated area management and sales staff, at best; at worst, they are lazy cretins.
2. They operate on badly understood and outmoded models for encouraging candidates into work, when they bother at all
3. They have hundreds of candidates to choose from, and have very loose requirements/target set by the government around their performance.

From what I can tell the sales model runs on commissions, so these pricks spend most of the year flogging off the very best and most motivated candidates into jobs (and subsequently collecting massive government bucks) while ditching by the roadside anybody who might need even a modicum of assistance.

At least, until the period between June and September, where they have to boost their star ratings to meet whatever vague assertions their contract with the government contains. At this point, they jack up to around 90% the lump sum payment employers can earn for employing a candidate from the JSA sector, and basically bribe their way in. Even then, their success rates are still poor which, given they are handing out free money, says something about the woeful quality of the sales consultants/reprehensible hacks.

I should point out that the entire business model of the mob I am consulting with presently is to essentially take all the functions of the job network agency, away from the job network agency, in return for a cut of the eventual profits (about $1k per client plus more if they get placed and stay placed).

We ring the clients up to place them in the course (also something the agencies suck at: when they place them, we get about 4 confirmed trainees; when we place them, we get 20), train them, give them a free Android laptop to job hunt and generally tool around with, clothe them, spit-polish them, do a resume build, do a speed interview session, and then call the employers and place them.

The agencies fill in all the paperwork.

Small Keating fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 3, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
We are gleefully causing prepubescent children to self harm but how dare those SALTies photoshop a razor next to Tony Abbotts neck on the cover of Red Flag

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Small Keating posted:

I should point out that the entire business model of the mob I am consulting with presently is to essentially take all the functions of the job network agency, away from the job network agency, in return for a cut of the eventual profits (about $1k per client plus more if they get placed and stay placed).

We ring the clients up to place them in the course (also something the agencies suck at: when they place them, we get about 4 confirmed trainees; when we place them, we get 20), train them, give them a free Android laptop to job hunt and generally tool around with, clothe them, spit-polish them, do a resume build, do a speed interview session, and then call the employers and place them.

The agencies fill in all the paperwork.

Sounds like these guys are actually doing some good work. It's disgusting that those useless providers are just skimming off the top for doing jack all. How come this firm can't just get all the government money directly for doing the same stuff?

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Sounds like these guys are actually doing some good work. It's disgusting that those useless providers are just skimming off the top for doing jack all. How come this firm can't just get all the government money directly for doing the same stuff?

There's apparently quite a bit of work/red tape involved in becoming a job network agency, whereas the paperwork involved in sub-contracting the training and sales element is fairly straightforward.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Mattjpwns posted:

It can't get any worse.

*three seconds later*

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...4-1226976039490

SIX WEEK OLD BABY SENT TO CHRISTMAS ISLAND :suicide:

Is it just me or does it look like Morrison is imagining chomping into the six-week old?

• Locked thread