Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah I just went and looked his history and... :ughh:

And for point of reference on the timeframe: his Yakima shenanigans were pretty much in the middle of everything and

quote:

The co-pilot on Holland's aircraft testified that he grabbed the controls to prevent Holland from flying the aircraft into the ridge while the aircraft's other two aircrew members repeatedly screamed at Holland, "Climb! Climb!" Holland responded by laughing and calling one of the crew members "a pussy".[1]

Just Bud being Bud :clint: holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

The Bud Holland case is taught at USAF flight safety school. I wanna say the wing commander died in the crash because he knew how reckless Holland was and didn't dare anyone else be his co-pilot during the airshow.

There's a photo out there of the Wing CC or whomever it was attempting an eject and in the foreground is his family watching the whole event transpire.

SQ/CC. He had tried to get WG leadership to ground Holland and failed...Holland was Chief of Stan/Eval (talk about a black joke that writes itself) so the SQ/CC didn't have the juice to get him grounded. When the SQ/CC failed in that endeavor, he put out the order that none of his pilots would fly with Holland. The 4 guys on board Czar 52 were Holland, McGeehan (SQ/CC), McGeehan's DO, and the WG/CV (safety observer there on explicit orders of the WG/CC).

The mishap flight was the fini flight for the WG/CV, so his family was present on the ramp when the mishap occurred. The SQ/CC's wife and kids knew dad was flying and saw the crash from their on base home. SQ/CC was the one who managed to punch.

If you want a good read on the subject of Czar 52, Tony Kern did a really good piece looking at the background/lead-up to the incident from a leadership (or lack thereof) perspective.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I remember the days when a crew was me (flight safety), the wing flight safety dude (eval pilot, Major, UPT instructor previously), Vice CC (eval pilot, dude who's got thousands upon thousands of hours in multiple airframes, civilian and mil), and an eval nav. We all figured that's the kind of crew who would be dumb enough to crash a jet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I cannot imagine a situation where a SQ/CC doesn't have enough pull with the OG to get a dude grounded...maybe not pulling his qual, but at least keeping him off the jet. That's loving unreal. He can't do it himself because as Stan/Eval chief the rear end in a top hat works for the OG, but goddamn what was going on at the command level?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I cannot imagine a situation where a SQ/CC doesn't have enough pull with the OG to get a dude grounded...maybe not pulling his qual, but at least keeping him off the jet. That's loving unreal. He can't do it himself because as Stan/Eval chief the rear end in a top hat works for the OG, but goddamn what was going on at the command level?

Read the Tony Kern article I linked if you're really curious...tl;dr is combination of hear no evil/see no evil apathy among leadership, Cold War-era "he's a good stick and puts on a good airshow" mentality, and "welp that's just Bud being Bud" along with the fact that every time someone in a position of leadership made a half-hearted attempt to discipline Holland, it was always undocumented verbal counselings, so there was never a paper trail or really any record of his ever having been disciplined for any of his breaches of flight discipline.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They imagined themselves as characters in Top Gun or whatever movie like that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Different USAF back then. The Bud Holland mishap changed things for the better.

And then the Sitka 43 crash happened which had a few callbacks to the Holland crash.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

And then the Sitka 43 crash happened which had a few callbacks to the Holland crash.

Although to be fair there were some significant differences too, which I'd argue should actually trouble the USAF more than Bud Holland's "one lone rogue asshat isn't reigned in, kills a crew" escapades because those differences have much larger implications. Here's a decent read on that.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

hobbesmaster posted:

The squadron commander, in an amazing display of leadership for this wing edited every flight schedule where one of his pilots would have to fly with Bud and put himself in instead.

The greatest cruelty in the world is that the people who step up like this so often must die for it. What an incredible commander, and a terrible loss. :(

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I actually took something more out of that whole Holland casestudy. Namely, one of the problems that a lone rogue rear end in a top hat has on an environment is that he teaches the others around him/her that this is an acceptable standard of conduct and airmanship. The Holland blackhole was bad enough that other pilots around him adopted his methods and tried imitating him. When it came time for them to change commands, they were busted out flight for recklessness and violating standards. It takes one apple to spoil the barrel.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The best part was it seems like every officer in the B52 command new Holland and new how much of an rear end in a top hat he was. He performed several airshows and demonstration routines before his incident. You'd think that word of mouth would prevent him from being rescheduled for it again.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Surprised no-one has mentioned this, but our favourite boondoggle, the F35, has been grounded after a fire occurred in a F35A. Apparently it's not affecting the one thing that the F35 is good at, though, airshow appearances.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Also related to the F35, news from a couple days ago :canada: is continuing to kick the can down the road.

At this rate, they won't make a decision before the next election.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-to-put-hold-on-jet-fighter-purchase/article19346094/

quote:

The Harper government is pressing pause on a decision to buy new jet fighters, including whether to purchase Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Lightning II without holding a competition, because it feels ministers need more information on other options before selecting a course of action.

There will be no decision this month on the next step – whether to hold a competition for a new plane or purchase the F-35 outright – and it is very unlikely anything will be announced even by mid-July, The Globe and Mail has learned.

Who needs a competition?

Just buy the F15SE :getin: already.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On the plus side in :canada: news I read that the delivery of the last CH-147F chinook of an order of 15 just happened on time AND on budget, holy poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

slidebite posted:

At this rate, they won't make a decision before the next election.

Ya think?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I actually think they will make a decision before the next election. they will make your decision to hold a competition which will mean they can brag about how accountable and fair they are to follow a due process. :rolleye:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just in time for the Liberals to get elected and cancel the CH-148 Cyclone program in a weird parallel to doing the same with the EH-101.

Although to be fair the Conservatives seen close to canceling the drat thing since Sikorsky can't get their poo poo together. And the whole "30 minute runtime with no oil in the rotor gearing" requirement not being met.

priznat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 2, 2014

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Given that one of the major missions of Canada's new fighter aircraft is defending vast frozen wastelands against intruding bombers, it is clear that the MiG-31 is the best choice. :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Need something to deal with increased numbers of hybrid polar/grizzly bears too, should buy the remaining stock of A-10s before they are mothballed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

I actually think they will make a decision before the next election. they will make your decision to hold a competition which will mean they can brag about how accountable and fair they are to follow a due process. :rolleye:

Yeah, why would the Harper GovernmentTM make an announcement when Parliament is sitting and they might have to hear those terrible, awful Opposition members cruelly criticise them? Better to make the announcement over the summer when Parliament is out and hope everyone forgets by September.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LostCosmonaut posted:

Given that one of the major missions of Canada's new fighter aircraft is defending vast frozen wastelands against intruding bombers, it is clear that the MiG-31 is the best choice. :colbert:

Tu 128 might be more Canada's speed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

hobbesmaster posted:

Huge and heavy?

Two bigass engines?

Dedicated Interceptor?

I think we tried that already, and lord did we ever make it more pretty than the Russkis did.

:canada:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

1. Acquire Tu-22M.
2. Modify as needed to fit massive fucktons of AAMs. (maybe just a software upgrade? idunno)
3. Profit?

Bonus: Also capable of exploding ships illegally transiting Northwest Passage.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

priznat posted:

Need something to deal with increased numbers of hybrid polar/grizzly bears too, should buy the remaining stock of A-10s before they are mothballed.

I have to ask, is this a reference to the recent Bigfoot DNA testing results? 50ish samples of bigfoot/yeti/etc hair were actually analyzed and all were dismissed as plant or glass fibers, or known animals like bears and dogs, except for an unknown bear type which might be some kind of polar/other bear hybrid

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well I had heard of that but also in northern Canada and Alaska the hybrids are apparently there too. There is speculation that reduction of the sea ice is causing polar bears to move around and come into contact with grizzlies, which results in more hot interspecies bear action.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

MA-Horus posted:

Huge and heavy?

Two bigass engines?

Dedicated Interceptor?

I think we tried that already

:patriot:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Russians would probably be a little more hesitant to do some airspace probin'.

Now all we can muster for intercepts is a tired CF-18 or a twin otter with delusions of grandeur.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

priznat posted:

Hey if it keeps the A-10s flying I am A-OK with using them to eliminate the scourge that is The Pizzly Bear from the lands of our neighbors to the north! :911::respek::canada:

Wow, that is so quintessentially American and... erect. :dong:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

1. Acquire Tu-22M.
2. Modify as needed to fit massive fucktons of AAMs. (maybe just a software upgrade? idunno)
3. Profit?

Bonus: Also capable of exploding ships illegally transiting Northwest Passage.

This was a semi-serious proposal for a B-1 variant:

Wikipedia posted:

The B-1R is a proposed upgrade of existing B-1B aircraft. The B-1R (R for "regional") would be fitted with advanced radars, air-to-air missiles, and new Pratt & Whitney F119 engines. This variant would have a top speed of Mach 2.2, but with 20% less range.

Existing external hardpoints would be modified to allow multiple conventional weapons to be carried, increasing overall loadout. For air-to-air defense, an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar would be added and some existing hardpoints modified to carry air-to-air missiles. If needed the B-1R could escape from unfavorable air-to-air encounters with its Mach 2+ speed. Few aircraft are currently capable of sustained speeds over Mach 2

Though given that "Crazy proposals no one ever ends up putting into production" is kinda how the Russian aerospace industry has worked since the fall of the Soviet Union I'm sure someone there has suggested something similar.

(here, we put canard and thrust vector on Su-27, add 10 to designation. You buy? We launch satellite from wing of supersonic bomber, you buy?)

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 3, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

This was a semi-serious proposal for a B-1 variant:
...:stare:

That would put a whole new spin on Boom-and-Zoom.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

(here, we put canard and thrust vector on Su-27, add 10 to designation. You buy? We launch satellite from wing of supersonic bomber, you buy?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWN3-s9ACpw&t=54s

Is replacement for bear in circus!

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Just like most military proposals, that's pretty awesome (and impractical). I dunno if I'd want to be flying a refitted bomber into air-to-air combat, although I suppose with long range missiles it doesn't have to actually get anywhere near the fight.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luneshot posted:

Just like most military proposals, that's pretty awesome (and impractical). I dunno if I'd want to be flying a refitted bomber into air-to-air combat, although I suppose with long range missiles it doesn't have to actually get anywhere near the fight.

In WWII they scratched out "Bomber" and wrote in "Night fighter" all the time.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Those were medium twin engine bombers or attack aircraft though.

Doing that to the Bone is like turning a B-24 into an air superiority fighter.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Though given that "Crazy proposals no one ever ends up putting into production" is kinda how the Russian aerospace industry has worked since the fall of the Soviet Union I'm sure someone there has suggested something similar.

You bet they have!

Comrade General, we put bigger engine and bigger radar in MiG-31, goes Mach 4...very fast and scaring pantsless American imperialist nuclear forces. You buy?

(this is actually happening IRL, possibly - google the MiG-41)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

MRC48B posted:

In other words, awesome.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you could fit a big fuckoff radar and really long range weapons to a B-24 that might make sense, though. The B-29 might be the better analogy, I don't thin there was any point in the war where the -24 had a marked speed advantage on the contemporary fighters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MRC48B posted:

Those were medium twin engine bombers or attack aircraft though.

You only avoided saying B-17 because they did that.

Oh poo poo they modified a B-24 too!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 3, 2014

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

iyaayas01 posted:

Although to be fair there were some significant differences too, which I'd argue should actually trouble the USAF more than Bud Holland's "one lone rogue asshat isn't reigned in, kills a crew" escapades because those differences have much larger implications. Here's a decent read on that.

So I read that link and it seems to me that the primary differentiation the author draws between Holland and Freyholtz is that nobody brought the dangers of his (Freyholtz's) actions to his attention.

Okay, so was he or wasn't he violating known rules?

If yes, how am I supposed to believe that he's this saintly aviator as portrayed by the author?

If no, why was he A/C in an aircraft whose limits were unknown to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SyHopeful posted:

So I read that link and it seems to me that the primary differentiation the author draws between Holland and Freyholtz is that nobody brought the dangers of his (Freyholtz's) actions to his attention.

Okay, so was he or wasn't he violating known rules?

If yes, how am I supposed to believe that he's this saintly aviator as portrayed by the author?

If no, why was he A/C in an aircraft whose limits were unknown to him?

I'm guessing it's an issue of complacency to ignoring rules vs. purposely going beyond them. Complacency creeps in subtly, and can be difficult to curb without constant vigilance. It's like, a person who moves to a new city with a clean driving record. For the first year or two, they're going to pretty much stick to the speed limit, signal every turn, do everything 'right' and 'by the book'. Then they start to become complacent, they see bad behavior go unpunished, so maybe they start going 5 over, and running intersections on orange lights. It creeps and creeps until one snowy night they help reiterate why a section of I-90 in Cleveland is called 'dead man's curve', in part because the behaviors he exhibited, this otherwise impeccable driver, should have been kept in check by the police; so arguably, a lack of enforcement of the rules allowed him to become dangerously complacent to the rules in place.

Holland was this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jznoUT76wlg