Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

SirFozzie posted:

One example is the Player Marketplace. All coaches, from all over the world, will be able to participate in the Marketplace system, selling and buying players. Instead of buying and firing generic players on your own, you can join this huge Marketplace and become rich by selling your batch of young promising players or spending all of your team treasury on the star player of your dreams.

The mind boggles, doesn't it.

When this was first announced, I spent a while thinking about how this could be implemented in a way it'd a) be non-exploitable and b) have any worth whatsoever. I had very little success. Even if you assume for the sake of argument that it won't implode like a half-finished Deathstar, the only thing it would achieve is further homogenization of team compositions. Now all the teams are farmed teams, yay!

I hope they just drop it in without any trading restrictions or oversight. Allow for mixed teams, why the hell not! Since there are trivial and infinite sources of players, gold and spp, it'd essentially be a convoluted team editor for everyone. It'd destroy the public league it's in, but could also be used to set up all kinds of silly teams to play against people you know.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Buy 50,000 gold for 50 cents.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
The more I learn about Blood Bowl II, the less desire I ever have to play a Cyanide game ever again.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If it's still laughably easy to farm up legend players I'm going to loving flood the market, that sounds fun

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

StoryTime posted:

Allow for mixed teams, why the hell not!

Finally, I can now mix elves, dorfs, and chaos for the ultimate hate team.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I got the impression that it's a supplement to the star player system, e.g., you'd only be able to "buy" other people's players using inducements, for a single match, instead of inducing a star player.

Done that way, It'd still obviously be disruptive (since most real star players have some kind of drawback or are hideously expensive, whereas if anyone can induce a +MA, +AG gutter runner, LOL) but not as completely broken as being able to outright buy any player to add to any team.

e. But it does read a lot like they're saying instead of buying a rookie beastman for your team, you just save up more and buy a level 6 +ST clawpomber that some rear end in a top hat farmed up in Auld in thirty minutes. For whatever the market will bear, which will be a low price since the market will be flooded with farmed clawpombers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But then how would you "sell" a player?

Maybe they want to reintroduce the old system where you hired a Star Player like any other positional? That would need some major rules rebalancing though.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
The thing that strikes me as funny about this, is that Blizzard tried this free market as a game mechanic thing with one of their flagship franchises, and had to take it back. That's not a proper argument against, non sequitur and all that, but still.

Go on, Cyanide, give us your best shot :allears:.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

StoryTime posted:

The thing that strikes me as funny about this, is that Blizzard tried this free market as a game mechanic thing with one of their flagship franchises, and had to take it back. That's not a proper argument against, non sequitur and all that, but still.

Go on, Cyanide, give us your best shot :allears:.

At least they aren't going for a real money player exchange. At least, that's my read. I sure hope they're not...

Has anything been said about whether BB2 will support resuming matches after disconnects? That's basically the if-and-only-if of me buying it. I only play in a private league with IRL friends, and until BB2 has more teams than BB1, there's not much else we would care about.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think the base premise of "Buy blood bowl 2 with 8 teams" is a really hard sell when the current game has just over 20 right? When one of the core gameplay features is getting cut by over half, you really have to work to convince people that the game is still worth getting because of all the other awesome stuff there is to make up for it.
I just don't see there being any awesome stuff that makes up for anything.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
It's the reverse, they are putting in more stuff that makes it even worse than the current edition.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The problem is they're putting in stuff nobody gives a poo poo about while gutting the core game and presumably not fixing the myriad of bugs that have been around for literally years. And then they're gonna charge you for the other half of the game while they don't even need to make these teams, just slap together 3D models for them.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

uPen posted:

I hate to break it to you but Cyanide doesn't actually like blood bowl.

GW doesn't like it either.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hello Blood Bowl thread, welcome back from the dead

Does anybody here own Dungeonbowl? I got a free copy and it appears there is basically no matchmaking pickup game scene

There's also no league structure as far as I can tell (open or tourney or otherwise)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GNU Order posted:

Hello Blood Bowl thread, welcome back from the dead

Does anybody here own Dungeonbowl? I got a free copy and it appears there is basically no matchmaking pickup game scene

There's also no league structure as far as I can tell (open or tourney or otherwise)

I'll play you if you give me a free copy.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Apparently this is coming out on android soon. Sounds like a fun way to kill time.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Apparently this is coming out on android soon. Sounds like a fun way to kill time.

This surprises me, but here's the official word.

http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/en/news/74-blood-bowl-enters-the-pitch-on-ipad-and-android-tablets.html

Looks like it's for iPads too, so I guess anyone who wants it could get it. Normally, I always get hype for cross-platform play... but it's Cyanide and it almost certainly will have issues.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The current version? When they're still claiming 4th quarter for BB2?

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

goatface posted:

The current version? When they're still claiming 4th quarter for BB2?

Whatever version it is, it only starts with 6 races: Skaven, WElf, Human, Ork, Chaos, and Hitler.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Ugh they went with their 3D view, a 2d top down would work so much better for tablets.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

TravBot posted:

Whatever version it is, it only starts with 6 races: Skaven, WElf, Human, Ork, Chaos, and Hitler.

Read a little more closely. It starts with only humans and orcs and the other four teams are DLC.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Read a little more closely. It starts with only humans and orcs and the other four teams are DLC.

I wouldn't put it past them to make individual players paid DLC.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Sheesh, gotta wring every last drop out of these fans. GW and Cyanide really deserve each other. Still, as I have said with BB2, my anger level will depend on the specific pricing scheme and initial cost.

The question is whether you can play against other teams non-included teams playing from other systems. Because you have to figure that if they could be in there for opponents, they would be in there for players as even more DLC for money. If that's the case, there's not much point unless you want to play a lot of games against humans and orkz with cheapskates.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Blackmage Yapo posted:

What. There's no way...

e: This would be 100% ok and actually a very smart move if the Orks vs Humans module was free to play.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've got a copy of BB:LE that I purchased through Amazon a few years back. I've got a friend who just picked it up through Steam. Can we still play matches? Is there any benefit to me installing the game through Steam?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got a copy of BB:LE that I purchased through Amazon a few years back. I've got a friend who just picked it up through Steam. Can we still play matches? Is there any benefit to me installing the game through Steam?

You should be all good. No benefits to installing through Steam, and anybody with LE can play against anybody with LE or CE.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The back-end is entirely independent of steam. I have mine installed through Steam but started direct from the exe so Steam doesn't even launch.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Cool - thanks.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Did they ever add resuming a dropped game?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
No.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
loving hell. Will this be part of BB2?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
They haven't said, unfortunately. I've just resigned myself to the idea that they don't know how to fix it and don't care, and it will probably occur again in BB2.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Speaking of "new" blood bowl content, looks like they've just released a pretty big update to dungeonbowl. Last I heard it was a bit of a train wreck, anyone know if it's worth playing now?

http://youtu.be/HH7n7AB89jw

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Considering the original board game was also a train wreck, I'd be amazed.

But, cKnoor ran a couple games last friday on his twitch friday-night-bloodbowl show, and it seemed to at least work.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

cmndstab posted:

They haven't said, unfortunately. I've just resigned myself to the idea that they don't know how to fix it and don't care, and it will probably occur again in BB2.

So once again, the indie java client offers a better experience.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Steve Holt! posted:

Speaking of "new" blood bowl content, looks like they've just released a pretty big update to dungeonbowl. Last I heard it was a bit of a train wreck, anyone know if it's worth playing now?

http://youtu.be/HH7n7AB89jw

Did they finally remove kick from the game?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I figure this is a good place to ask - I was playing a BB:LE (latest patch applied) against the AI yesterday to familiarize myself with the rules and ran into a potential bug: my Ogre went down and couldn't get back up due to Bonehead. I can't imagine a 1 being rolled five turns in a row... Is this an issue with the game, or was I just really, really unlucky?

VV Wow. Ok then. VV

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 9, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Unlucky.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
The key is to just play Ogres instead of Humans so that you'll need to roll like 20 1s in a row for your ogres to all stay down for multiple turns.

Play Ogres they're real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I figure this is a good place to ask - I was playing a BB:LE (latest patch applied) against the AI yesterday to familiarize myself with the rules and ran into a potential bug: my Ogre went down and couldn't get back up due to Bonehead. I can't imagine a 1 being rolled five turns in a row... Is this an issue with the game, or was I just really, really unlucky?

VV Wow. Ok then. VV

This is the most important lesson you will learn about Blood Bowl.

gently caress dice. :suicide:

• Locked thread