Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like I'm the only person who thought Guacamelee was total garbage.

It had a nice art style but I found it to just be going through the motions of a metroidvania, the enemies were too bland- the combo system was pointless when everything died as fast as it did and a lot of the the "humor" is 4chan levels of terrible.

One of the bosses just flat out says "Trolololololol". This is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Guacamelee has a bunch of obnoxious meme-based "jokes", so keep that in mind if that's likely to be a turn-off.

Someone in one of the PS threads was saying they removed most of the meme's in this edition. Shouldn't be an issue for people anymore.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You're probably not, but I don't think that a game necessarily needs to be original to be really enjoyable, especially not when it's as well-executed as Guacamelee. The world-switching mechanic is done effectively and makes for some interesting challenges and exploration. If you're seeing the combo system as pointless because enemies go down too fast, then you're not properly taking into account the fact that the combo can stretch throughout a battle rather than ending as soon as an enemy dies. Grabbing and throwing works incredibly well, but fights are still capable of being challenging, and the amount of thought that certain encounters can take is satisfying.

Also, I wouldn't say its humor is "4chan levels of terrible" - the game is virtually undiscussable on the site's video games board due to it being "Guacameme."

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 3, 2014

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Dramicus posted:

Also, I have to say, props to Nintendo's refurb department. There literally wasn't a single scratch or scuff anywhere on the system. I inspected it just for fun and I swear, both the gamepad with screen and the system itself look like new units.

Definitely happy with my purchase.

Yeah I will throw in for that as well. Got my refurb a few days ago and looks brand spanking new as far as I can tell.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It had a nice art style but I found it to just be going through the motions of a metroidvania, the enemies were too bland- the combo system was pointless when everything died as fast as it did and a lot of the the "humor" is 4chan levels of terrible.

One of the bosses just flat out says "Trolololololol". This is dumb.

I'm with you. I liked the visual style but the gameplay left me cold.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Any suggestions for good external hard drives? Preferably ones that use a second usb cable for power rather than plugging into an outlet.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

I will

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Zonekeeper posted:

My gamepad was defective, but the console itself was immaculate. Even gave me reward coins when I connected it to my Club Nintendo account.

On another note, where's a good place to get a black Wii Classic Controller Pro on the cheap? Ebay's clogged with knockoffs and a lot of stores no longer carry them since they got discontinued.

Amazon has some in the US from third parties but their pretty expensive. You can get this one for $46 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TLTBN0/ref=twister_B0037US4IA?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .Or you can get this one with monster hunter tri for $47 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036KRP3Q/ref=twister_B002BRYXOO?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Or if you really want to burn some money you can get this one with a gold colored controller for $58 http://www.amazon.com/James-Bond-007-GoldenEye-Controller-Nintendo/dp/B003O6FW6E . That's all I could find besides third party ones.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Malt posted:

Someone in one of the PS threads was saying they removed most of the meme's in this edition. Shouldn't be an issue for people anymore.

Trolololol is still in there, but as far as meme's go, I haven't seen too much else. Then again, I'm pretty ignorant to most meme's, thank loving god. I'm about 3 hours in, and if this had been a 4chan fest of a game, I'd have probably stopped playing it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the platforming in Guacamelee is of the highest caliber for a Metroidvania and the the music is insanely catchy. I love the combat and the artstyle, but I just leave the music on a lot. The treetop spike platforming bonus level was so raw!

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Now a game full of Something Awful references... I'd eat that up!!!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Well, now seems just as good a time as after to post my current draft for the Recommended Games list.

I'm pretty sure I have every possible worthwhile exclusive on the system, but I'm not too sure about multiplats. The thing is, though, that when I start putting down "Recommended Multiplats," I'd prefer to list games that have some good features unique to the Wii U version. If people decide that's stupid, though, I may get rid of that stipulation and just be very picky about what games end up on the Recommended Multiplats list. Games that are starred are "Highly Recommended," though I may deem this denotation unnecessary in the future.

Recommended Exclusives
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Nano Assault Neo
New Super Mario Bros. U (&NSLU)
Nintendoland
Pikmin 3*
Pushmo World
Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails
Sonic Lost World
Super Mario 3D World*
The Wonderful 101
ZombiU

Recommended Multiplats
Mighty Switch Force HD
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
Rayman Legends
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD*
e; Shovel Knight

If you think I should add (or remove) anything, just let me know!

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 3, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ultigonio posted:

Well, now seems just as good a time as after to post my current draft for the Recommended Games list.

I'm pretty sure I have every possible worthwhile exclusive on the system, but I'm not too sure about multiplats. The thing is, though, that when I start putting down "Recommended Multiplats," I'd prefer to list games that have some good features unique to the Wii U version. If people decide that's stupid, though, I may get rid of that stipulation and just be very picky about what games end up on the Recommended Multiplats list. Games that are starred are "Highly Recommended," though I may deem this denotation unnecessary in the future.

Recommended Exclusives
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Nano Assault Neo
Nintendoland
Pikmin 3*
Pushmo World
Sonic Lost World
Super Mario 3D World*
The Wonderful 101
ZombiU

Recommended Multiplats
Mighty Switch Force HD
Rayman Legends

How do you leave out Shovel Knight? How the hell do you do that?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

How do you leave out Shovel Knight? How the hell do you do that?

And this goes straight into the tough part about picking Multiplats. While I have more than enough faith in people to believe that Shovel Knight belongs up there, the question is, are there any features uni

oh wait, I forgot it has (or will have?) local multiplayer, nevermind. Added!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

And this goes straight into the tough part about picking Multiplats. While I have more than enough faith in people to believe that Shovel Knight belongs up there, the question is, are there any features uni

oh wait, I forgot it has (or will have?) local multiplayer, nevermind. Added!

It also has Miiverse.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is Unlimited World Red any good? Haven't heard anything about it good or bad, but seeing as it isnt out in America yet, that's probably why. I've hard it's sort of a hunting type game which I am a sucker for.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Thanks for the feedback on NES Remix. I'll pick up the second one at some point.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultigonio posted:

Recommended Exclusives
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Nano Assault Neo
Nintendoland
Pikmin 3*
Pushmo World
Sonic Lost World
Super Mario 3D World*
The Wonderful 101
ZombiU

Recommended Multiplats
Mighty Switch Force HD
Rayman Legends
e; Shovel Knight

Add NES Remix 1 & 2 and this list is perfect.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Deus Ex Human Revolution is supposedly pretty good on Wii U. I have no idea what the gamepad features are though

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Malt posted:

That was me, and yeah they did take out a ton of them (but not all - the trololo thing is still in there, but it's a one time thing and not something you pass by a dozen times throughout the game like the rest were). There's no giant Pedo Bear poster anymore. The old video game references are left untouched, but those weren't a problem for me. The studio's founder pretty much said it was a bad idea in the first place - http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/25/4769628/guacamelee-postmortem-drinkbox-studios-in-game-memes

Guacamelee's combat's great and it really shines in hard mode, which sadly isn't selectable from the start. The jumping puzzles that made you use all of your moves to get through are why I really loved it, though. Some are very difficult without being overly punishing and it's great, you can fail ten times and not worry about wasting your time really.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Ultigonio posted:

Recommended Exclusives
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Nano Assault Neo
Nintendoland
Pikmin 3*
Pushmo World
Sonic Lost World
Super Mario 3D World*
The Wonderful 101
ZombiU

Recommended Multiplats
Mighty Switch Force HD
Rayman Legends
e; Shovel Knight

I'd add Arkham City to the multiplat list. The Gamepad integration was really well done there.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Perry Normal posted:

I'd add Arkham City to the multiplat list. The Gamepad integration was really well done there.

Didn't they tell Wii U owners to get hosed when it comes to dlc support?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
You're thinking of Origins. Arkham City came with all the DLC stuff.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Ultigonio posted:

Games that are starred are "Highly Recommended," though I may deem this denotation unnecessary in the future.

For what it's worth I think a tiered system is unnecessary. It becomes an arbitrary question of taste ("Why is Pikmin 3 starred but not Mario Kart 8?") and just complicates the matter. The list should be usable and understandable at a glance without chasing down what an asterisk means in a separate paragraph.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Sonic Allstars Transformed, amazing though it is, only runs at 30 fps on consoles, I would't recommend it.(or at least make a note about it).

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Mr. Neutron posted:

Sonic Allstars Transformed, amazing though it is, only runs at 30 fps on consoles, I would't recommend it.(or at least make a note about it).
It allows 2 player full screen(gamepad+tv) action, is a fun game, is cheap and a great port. Those factors matter a lot more than frames per second that a lot of people wouldn't notice if it wasn't pointed out to them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The PC version is also substantially prettier than all the other console versionsmand has eighty million extra characters, but yeah, Wii U version is still a good port with more effort put into it than most.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is Unlimited World Red any good? Haven't heard anything about it good or bad, but seeing as it isnt out in America yet, that's probably why. I've hard it's sort of a hunting type game which I am a sucker for.

I would also like to know this. Apparently its more of an RPG/Adventure than a standard musou game like pirate warriors was, but I can't find that much information about it. Its one to buy a physical copy of though, I think its about a 15 gb download.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Sarchasm posted:

For what it's worth I think a tiered system is unnecessary. It becomes an arbitrary question of taste ("Why is Pikmin 3 starred but not Mario Kart 8?") and just complicates the matter. The list should be usable and understandable at a glance without chasing down what an asterisk means in a separate paragraph.
Yeah, that's what I'd been thinking as well, so I appreciate the opinion. At the very least, the earlier-mentioned "recommendability rating" is more a question of how accessible the game is. I'll drop the "Highly Recommended" stars.

Mr. Neutron posted:

I believe it supports 5-player local (albeit with a sub-30 framerate), and this is unique enough of a reason (along with it being a good game) to merit it appearing on the list. I'll make a note of the lesser graphical quality when bringing up the "Plausible Problems" with the game, especially since less-than-60 FPS isn't really optimal for a racing game. Also notable is that the Wii U "Bonus Edition" actually comes with the Metal Sonic/OutRun course DLC, which I'm pretty sure even PC users have to pay for.

Perry Normal posted:

I'll take your word for it. Can you tell me what about the Gamepad integration helps improve the experience? I haven't played the game myself, nor have I heard a lot about that particular port (I'll also have to ask for negatives and positives on other games, but I'll wait on those until I'm actually writing stuff up).

SeANMcBAY posted:

Add NES Remix 1 & 2 and this list is perfect.
Coulda' sworn I added those, I'll get 'em on there now. Would you say the asking price is a little high for the games?

(Saw your post too, Kewpuh - I'll look into the Wii U version of Deus Ex: HR.)

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 3, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Brasseye posted:

I would also like to know this. Apparently its more of an RPG/Adventure than a standard musou game like pirate warriors was, but I can't find that much information about it. Its one to buy a physical copy of though, I think its about a 15 gb download.

It's a port of the 3ds game that is already out with enhancements and other extra stuff. It looks to be sorta Wind Waker-ish.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

deafmute posted:

It allows 2 player full screen(gamepad+tv) action, is a fun game, is cheap and a great port. Those factors matter a lot more than frames per second that a lot of people wouldn't notice if it wasn't pointed out to them.

What?! That is probably one of the greatest uses of the gamepad ever. Nintendo should've done it with MK8. We bought Sonic on the PS3 when a store was going out of business, now I almost regret it. :(

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yeah, nobody really has any clue why they DIDN'T provide full-screen 2-player in MK8, especially because the Gamepad player inherently has an advantage otherwise (ability to see course map, ability to see items held by all players). As gorgeous as it is and as well as it runs, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to hear that MK8 was a very rushed game, especially because it was their best way to get people to grab a Wii U after seeing Nintendo's offerings at E3.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 3, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I ran across this strange thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGL156fgSdU

The guy who did it apparently likes making really hosed up terrible-on-purpose CG vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69SMlkieIb4

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ultigonio posted:

Recommended Exclusives
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Nano Assault Neo
Nintendoland
Pikmin 3*
Pushmo World
Sonic Lost World
Super Mario 3D World*
The Wonderful 101
ZombiU

Recommended Multiplats
Mighty Switch Force HD
Rayman Legends
e; Shovel Knight

I guess people kinda forget about it since it was a launch title but Darksiders 2 is really good on Wii U. You can put the inventory on the gamepad which means you can switch between your weapons instantly without having to pause. Apparently it can get really annoying in the 360/PS3 versions because you have to pause every single time and you pick up a ridiculous amount of equipment in that game. If I remember right it comes with all the DLC too.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a great game and the Wii U version has some exclusive modes but the trade off is that the online is probably dead at this point and I don't think there are any Wii U arcade sticks out there if you don't like to play on pad. For some reason it doesn't let you post screenshots on Miiverse either. Also seconding whoever recommended Deus Ex because that game owns.

I love Art Academy Sketchpad and it's probably the best thing on Miiverse but I guess it'd look weird next to 3D World and Mario Kart 8. Also I think putting Wind Waker on the multiplatform list is a little silly

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yeah, I agree that Wind Waker should be up with the exclusives, not the multiplats. It's a full-blown remake, not a port.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To me it's not so much a question of port-or-remake status. It's just that you can't get Wind Waker on any competing platform, so it's not a multiplat in the way most people think of the term.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you are into fighting games, there is also the oft forgotten Wii U port of Injustice: Gods Among Us.

The online is dead though.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Surlaw posted:

Guacamelee's combat's great and it really shines in hard mode, which sadly isn't selectable from the start.
You can (and should) unlock hard mode right from the start by entering a code on the title screen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Injustice didn't end up getting all the DLC, they stopped after a while due to low sales, just as they did later with Arkham Origins.

Ultigonio posted:

I'll make a note of the lesser graphical quality when bringing up the "Plausible Problems" with the game, especially since less-than-60 FPS isn't really optimal for a racing game.

It's not just a framerate thing, they changed the architecture of a lot of the tracks/track transitions to make them more spectacular on PC. The Wii U version is definitely the best of the console ports, but the PC port is great too, which is a surprise given that the first PC Sonic Kart port was a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Personally if I didn't own a Wii U I'd be more impressed if I came into the thread and checked the OP and saw a small but really genuinely good list of exclusive games. Nobody's buying a Wii U to play bloody Arkham City or some lovely deus ex game. The Wii U's strength is its awesome exclusives and a handful of multiplatforms that are genuinely better on it. I bought a Vita recently, and the list of "recommended" games in the Vita thread's OP is like 2 or 3 posts long. Clearly the Vita isn't a system that has 2 or 3 posts worth of amazing games. Let's not go down that road with the Wii U OP.

• Locked thread