Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

...he started asking me how we were supposed to connect to the person playing the game, after all "It's called Let's Play for a reason!" I don't even know what he was trying to say with that one.

I've always interpreted "connecting to the person playing the game" as "I want to be popular, but I lack any talent"; which I'm sure most of the LP Reddit share this view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Lazyfire posted:

Let's Play Subreddit

As someone who used to frequent that subreddit and ran a weekly megathread, the fundamental difference is that the paywall and self-censoring here maintains a different culture. Well, a culture at all.

The subreddit is pretty much a constant stream of people who want to try out LPing (but did zero research so they don't know the most basic things) and people trying to make it big LPing (so they whore it up). Now, don't get me wrong, there are some good folks but not that many overall.

Anyone who wised on that quickly realize that any feedback you get there will be shallow and probably opinionated with no backing (your episode should never be longer than 15 minutes!), you won't actually get any views (probably only like 20 views even if your video was picked for something), and most people are there to whore instead of to improve.

Pretty much impossible to build a long-term community. Personally, I stuck around because the IRC had some cool folks but that died down eventually as well.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 27, 2014

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.

Lazyfire posted:

While the forums were down I popped over into Reddit's Let's Play sub and tried my hand at understanding what the difference is between what people do here and what they think they should be doing. It's amazing.

Don't forget the daily "Don't do it for the views do it cause you LOVE IT!11!!!" post. It's summer vacation central over there.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gameplusmeagan posted:

Don't forget the daily "Don't do it for the views do it cause you LOVE IT!11!!!" post. It's summer vacation central over there.

Well, if they didn't remind each other of that mantra they would all be screwed considering you're looking at people getting 10-15 views while pushing out three videos a day like they are already making money on YouTube. I think the criticism of Markiplier that's come up is pretty valid with a lot of those people, "It's like Pewdiepie but..." or sub in YogsCast, or any of the MindCrack guys or whomever you prefer. Yes, you can get recognition by being like someone else on YouTube but slightly different, but there are hundreds of people trying the same thing as you and getting recognition for that is going to be very difficult.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
kill you're family while playing slender for more views

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

kill you're family while playing slender for more views

"Please Slenderman, don't find me OMG AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH RUN AWAY RUN AWAY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" and then you shoot your father

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Here's an oddity - the Japanese branch of Nestle, of all companies, started a year long LP project on their Youtube channels featuring Gackt playing classic video games. They plan to upload one short video every day for a year. They start with Megaman 2.

If you don't know who Gackt is, he's one of the bigger names in Japanese music (and general entertainment) - a legitimate pop-rock star with a 20 year career who still fills out stadiums. I watched the first video - he's bad at the game and clearly doesn't want to be there, which is played for laughs but isn't very funny.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

orenronen posted:

Here's an oddity - the Japanese branch of Nestle, of all companies, started a year long LP project on their Youtube channels featuring Gackt playing classic video games. They plan to upload one short video every day for a year. They start with Megaman 2.

If you don't know who Gackt is, he's one of the bigger names in Japanese music (and general entertainment) - a legitimate pop-rock star with a 20 year career who still fills out stadiums. I watched the first video - he's bad at the game and clearly doesn't want to be there, which is played for laughs but isn't very funny.
That guy who was shoehorned into FFVII canon? That's fantastic/terrible.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
lmao what

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So the best Japanese LPer is still Arino then? Good to know.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

orenronen posted:

What. I don't understand, what do Nestle or Gackt have to gain from doing this? :psyduck:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

muike posted:

lmao what
I'm not kidding. They put him in the Nibelheim scene (made him the guy who drove Sephiroth crazy), and then he spends the rest of Crisis Core being Sephiroth but with red hair.

Edit: Apparently Gackt also appeared in Dirge of Cerberus. Not a guy based on Gackt, literally Gackt in a costume, live-action.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 2, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
no i know that and don't care about it. i care about japanese nestle

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

muike posted:

no i know that and don't care about it. i care about japanese nestle

They make some really nice Kitkat flavors.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

orenronen posted:

I watched the first video - he's bad at the game and clearly doesn't want to be there, which is played for laughs but isn't very funny.

Wow, you're right. He really doesn't seem like he wants to be there. He has about as much enthusiasm in that video as someone waiting for 3 hours in a DMV line.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Say what you will about Japanese vs American gaming culture, but our version of that is clearly superior.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Say what you will about Japanese vs American gaming culture, but our version of that is clearly superior.

wrong

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Can Tommy Wiseau really be described as American? Surely "Martian" is the correct term. And not because his gaming show is set in space. (???)

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Nestle? Gackt?? Video Games???!

Are they trying to do like a game center cx thing where the player clearly isn't good?

This guy can't even muster up the energy to even care.

Did he like sign a contract? Cause this i gonna be hell for him.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
So, I hate to ask but are there any good The Forest LP's yet? I know Devil Dog Gamer is doing one but hes only got the first video out, which was enough to interest me. The facecam crowd has dug its claws into the game so I want to know if theres any good LPs out there. Because really, that game looks good as hell, if its LPed by a good commentator.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mcclay posted:

So, I hate to ask but are there any good The Forest LP's yet? I know Devil Dog Gamer is doing one but hes only got the first video out, which was enough to interest me. The facecam crowd has dug its claws into the game so I want to know if theres any good LPs out there. Because really, that game looks good as hell, if its LPed by a good commentator.

I have yet to find one. There was one a few days after the initial alpha release where the guy wanted to show off the kidnapping after your first "death", but he insisted on actually fighting and killing all of the enemies he saw and then going "Guess I'm just too good for this game :smug:" (actual quote) while complaining about how much he needs to lose a fight to show the content off.

He also pulled a dick move and titled the video as a walkthrough when it was just a random "wander around and kinda do stuff" sandbox LP with zero guide components.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I turned on translated captions for that video, and the very first line was "bird flu."

I think I will enjoy Gackt Plays. Can we call start doing Gackt Plays from now on? Abandon Let's Plays to Pewdiepie and Markiplier and Game Grumps and DSP and ashit because they ruined and and let's just all get in on Gackt Plays because this is gonna be the new hotness.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That was really awful. I liked it better when he thought he was a serious director/writer/actor and proceeded to make the worst possible film ever.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Yeah, it's tragic. Since everyone thought the Room was hilarious he now thinks he's some kind of comedy genius and now tries to do comedy on purpose and it's terrible. Bad drama can be hilarious but there's nothing redeemable about bad comedy.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You seemed to miss that he didn't write or direct it. He just acted in it.

Some guy really wanted to write and direct a show for Mr. Tommy Wiseau, and thankfully, Machinima dollars will let him.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

And his acting sucked, and not in a hilarious way like in The Room. And here's something he did write and direct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGpwxHMUndk

It's not coming soon because nobody picked it up because it sucks. (EDIT: Apparently the official website says it's coming this fall on "Comedy TV", whatever that is)

He should really just try to create another serious work and if he's lucky it will be bad in just the right way like The Room was.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 3, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

You seemed to miss that he didn't write or direct it. He just acted in it.

You forget he's bad at all three areas. Not just writing or directing.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sure, but an LP being a substitute for the game doesn't automatically mean I'll watch the entirety of it, play it in the same way as LP'er or not enjoy the gameplay/mechanics of the game. To me, it's more like experiencing a very long demo or gameplay video with the addition of commentary without having to invest money into it. In a way, the void left by the death of demos (Though some companies still release some, or have trial versions available) was filled by LP's. Demos were the risk the devs took to try and get more sales, and LPs follow in that same vein except that it's barely ever the developers that organize it.

I bought Dead Space after watching a goon LP all the way through, and still enjoyed playing it despite having seen all of it only a few days beofore (well, over ~a week or so). What happened was a mix of that first playthrough fun factor and the replay and exploit everything you can, factor. I stomped through that game (also, literally since Dead Space) and had a blast the whole way through.

I'm astounded that game developers of any kind have a problem with LPs.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
I know this is late notice, but gently caress it. Slowbeef and Diabetus are doing a Retsupurae panel tomorrow at this convention. Anyone got any questions they'd like to ask?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
1) What are LP's or LP'ers that you guys like and recommend?

2) When are we going to see the VLP of Policenauts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ReturnOfFable posted:

2) When are we going to see the VLPWrongpurae of Policenauts.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Chip and Ironicus are planning it!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone explain why Slowbeef and Diabetes, Chip and Ironicus, or Geop and RandomWhiteSlightlyNerdySoundingGoon, all have in common that makes it really interesting to listen to them?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Turtlicious posted:

Can someone explain why Slowbeef and Diabetes, Chip and Ironicus, or Geop and RandomWhiteSlightlyNerdySoundingGoon, all have in common that makes it really interesting to listen to them?

A non-abrasive personality?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
No goons are interesting to listen to; we just put up with them because they are all we have since the Great Freelance Astronauts Exodus awhile back.

Or, I dunno, could be that they actually have stuff to say that is related to their LPs instead of just telling us about their boring lives and spouting out catchphrases every minute?

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
For the slowbeef videos I've watched, it's a combination of things:

1. Good, relevant commentary that gives me knowledge or insight of the game/mechanics/design issues/concepts/back story
2. Skill. My God, that probotector video (contra 3) was loving legendary.
3. A non-whiny voice. Mind you, a lot of people can't really help the way they sound, but a little effort goes a long way.
4. Tedium free video editing. Boring things are cut out and essential details are kept.

That's just off the top of my head.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I lead a very busy life. With the constant rotation of work and school, I barely have any time left for me. I spend that little time on pretty much everything. Playing/watching sports, hanging out with friends, dating, gaming. The thing is, when I sit down to game, I wanna try out a variety of games. That makes it hard for me because if I'm not in the mood to play the game I'm lp'ing, I can't record. So I barely post videos which does not contribute to the growth of my audience. So tell me, how do you balance your real life stuff and youtube. I'd love to know.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

heytallman posted:

I know this is late notice, but gently caress it. Slowbeef and Diabetus are doing a Retsupurae panel tomorrow at this convention. Anyone got any questions they'd like to ask?

Did you guys seriously not notice the engravings of two headed animals on the cubes in that one episode of Galerians, seriously, all your jokes revolved around not noticing those.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

heytallman posted:

Ask for their lotto numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Suspicious Dish posted:

I lead a very busy life. With the constant rotation of work and school, I barely have any time left for me. I spend that little time on pretty much everything. Playing/watching sports, hanging out with friends, dating, gaming. The thing is, when I sit down to game, I wanna try out a variety of games. That makes it hard for me because if I'm not in the mood to play the game I'm lp'ing, I can't record. So I barely post videos which does not contribute to the growth of my audience. So tell me, how do you balance your real life stuff and youtube. I'd love to know.

Stop having a life, simple.

• Locked thread