Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

I heard some of that bit where he extolled the virtue of building a border fence by pointing to the Great Wall of China. He said, "they didn't build it as a tourist site for Michelle Obama, they built it to keep the Mongols out." He failed to mention that the Mongols got in anyway and established one of the most powerful and stable dynasties in Chinese history.

Well poo poo, I guess we better buy more guns then!

I was looking up Savage I mean Weiner earlier and I didn't know he had managed to get himself banned from the entire UK somehow. Nice job, Brits.

What an awful person. He has all those medical degrees but chose a nice right wing radio blowhard career instead. It's like how S.E. Cupp has degrees in art history yet chose instead to make a career out of being a pair of tits for old men to dribble over on Fox. Sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves it's actually 1/3 of coffee drinkers that drink it black. As the demographic gets older you get more black coffee drinkers. Even so, black coffee really isn't that uncommon of a thing. They're not the majority but the idea that there is a right or a wrong way to drink coffee is absurd. Some people like lattes, some people don't. I drink all of my coffee back and strong because that's the way I like it. Doesn't mean that people that like their coffee some other way are wrong.

Anyway, 90% of coffee drinkers adding milk is actually way, way off. Some of the non-black drinkers just add some sugar. Creamer or milk is a majority but not like a super massive one.
I drink black coffee but only if I am making pourover from single origin beans, freshly ground in my German burr grinder. If the coffee quality is dubious I'll dilute it with a bit of milk and sometimes sugar.

Also been known to enjoy an Americano from time to time.

Still like lattes, though I'm slightly lactose intolerant so overconsumption can lead to bad times.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Am I the only one who found the results of the pot smoker study to be strangely low? Like only 14% thought that smoking weed made them feel good? The handle is stillblazingtho, I would have expected nearly all to share the sentiment.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Kenzie posted:

What an awful person. He has all those medical degrees but chose a nice right wing radio blowhard career instead. It's like how S.E. Cupp has degrees in art history yet chose instead to make a career out of being a pair of tits for old men to dribble over on Fox. Sad.

His degrees aren't medical degrees, they're degrees in biological sciences, and the graduate degrees are not in particularly high demand (Ph.D. in Nutritional ethnomedicine?) in terms of well paying positions. Both these folks have chosen careers that are much more lucrative than following careers in the fields their degrees prepared them for.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The poo poo that went down in Murrieta, CA today is probably one of the most upsetting, disgusting, frightening things I've seen in awhile. I am simply at a loss for words. I'll post CNN's take on it just for background, but you have to see the video to appreciate how awful some Americans can be.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/02/us/california-immigrant-transfers/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

quote:

Showdown: California town turns away buses of detained immigrants
By Michael Martinez and Holly Yan, CNN
updated 9:09 PM EDT, Wed July 2, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

[i]NEW: "The problem still is there. The problem is in Washington, D.C.," says Murrieta mayor
Immigrant rights advocate denounces "anti-immigrant hate language"
140 undocumented Central American immigrants arrive in California from Texas
Protesters block them from being processed at the Murrieta Border Patrol station[i]

Explore the journey out of the shadows led by undocumented immigrant and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas. CNN Films' "Documented" airs Sunday, July 6, at 9 p.m.

(CNN) -- The national controversy over a surge of Central American immigrants illegally crossing the U.S. border established a new battleground this week in a Southern California small town where angry crowds thwarted detained migrants from entering their community.

In a faceoff Tuesday with three buses carrying the migrants behind screened-off windows, the demonstrators chanted "Go back home!" and "USA" and successfully forced the coaches to leave Murrieta, CNN affiliate KFMB reported.

The buses instead took the 140 or so undocumented immigrants to U.S. processing centers at least 80 miles away, in the San Diego and El Centro areas, federal officials say.

Counter-protesters squared off with the demonstrators, and a shouting match erupted over the nation's immigration system, which recently has been overwhelmed with a tide of Central American minors illegally entering the United States alone or with other children.

A mix of poverty, violence and smugglers' false promises is prompting the Central American inflow.

Unlike undocumented Mexican migrants, who are often immediately deported, the U.S. government detains and processes the Central Americans, who are eventually released and given a month to report to immigration offices. Many never show up and join the nation's 11 million undocumented population, says the National Border Patrol Council, the union representing Border Patrol agents.

The Latin American immigrants rejected by Murrieta protesters were initially held in Texas, where U.S. facilities are so overflowing that detainees are sent to other states for processing.

The government doesn't have the room to shelter the children with adults: there's only one family immigration detention center, in Pennsylvania. To assist the unaccompanied children, President Barack Obama's administration opened shelters last month on three military bases because federal facilities more designed for adults were overrun with minors.

Tuesday's busloads of detained Central American immigrants didn't include any unaccompanied minors, said Murrieta Police Chief Sean Hadden, who put the number of protesters at 125. The children on the buses were apparently in the company of relatives or other adults, said an official with the National Border Patrol Council.

'Deport! Deport!'

The protesters, who shouted "Impeach Obama!" and "Deport! Deport!" confronted the buses a day after the town posted a notice on its website: "Murrieta Opposes Illegal Immigrant Arrival."

"This is a failure to enforce federal law at the federal level," Mayor Alan Long said in a statement Monday about the pending arrival of the 140 immigrants to the U.S. Border Patrol station. "Murrieta continues to object to the transfer of illegal immigrants to the local border patrol office."

Long spoke to CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" later Wednesday.

"It's not against the immigrants," he said. "They're trying to leave a less desirable place and come to the greatest nation in the world. We can't blame them for that ... No one's protesting that. What we're protesting is the product of a broken system that finally reached the doorstep of our community."

Long said that neither side in the national debate is coming up with a solution: "The problem still is there. The problem is in Washington, D.C."

The local controversy was to continue with a town hall meeting scheduled for 6:30 p.m PT Wednesday. The U.S. government is scheduled to send another group of undocumented immigrants to Murrieta for processing on Friday, the union official for Border Patrol agents said.

Chief Hadden also said he was told to expect 140 immigrants every 72 hours, with the next group scheduled to arrive on Friday, the Fourth of July.

Earlier Wednesday, immigration rights advocates denounced the protesters.

"It is deplorable that people espousing anti-immigrant hate language created unnecessary tension and fear for immigrant mothers and their children," Pedro Rios, a community representative of the San Diego Immigrant Rights Consortium, said in a statement. "Even more concerning is that elected officials in the City of Murrieta instigated this tension. Mothers and their children on these buses have suffered through enough trauma."

At a Murrieta City Council meeting Tuesday night, Long seemed more conciliatory than his statement posted a day earlier on the city's website. Long thanked police and others.

"Please remember these are human beings that are fleeing the violence in their home countries," Long said. "The problem is that they need to come into this country the legal way."

Journey from Texas

The U.S. government earlier flew the 140 Central American immigrants from south Texas to San Diego. Federal agents were busing them to Murrieta for processing at the Border Patrol station when the standoff took place Tuesday, CNN affiliates reported.

After the buses turned around, the 140 immigrants were taken to the U.S. Border Patrol's San Ysidro station in San Diego, said Ron Zermeno of the National Border Patrol Council

On Wednesday, Zermeno told CNN that at least 136 immigrants were fed and screened.

Among the group, 10 children were taken to local hospitals, though it's unclear why, Zermeno said. Seven more children were diagnosed with active scabies, an itchy and highly contagious skin disease. Those children are being kept separate from the others at the San Ysidro station, he said. Seventeen of the immigrants were taken to the Boulevard station in eastern San Diego County, Zermeno said.

The U.S. government is struggling to detain and accommodate an influx of undocumented immigrants, particularly a wave of unaccompanied children from the Central American countries of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. The U.S. government doesn't have enough beds, food or sanitary facilities.

Authorities estimate 60,000 to 80,000 children without parents will cross the border this year in what the White House has called an "immediate humanitarian crisis."

To help relieve crowded facilities in Texas, undocumented immigrants are now being sent elsewhere to be processed.

But Zermeno contended that processing immigrants, rather than enforcing the borders, is only making the situation worse.

"My concern is they are going to be eating in the same holding cells as someone sitting five feet away using the bathroom," he said.

Intense debate

The furor in Murrieta illustrated the conflict between protecting the borders and ensuring the safety of detained immigrants and children.

Protester Ellen Meeks said the country's identity has eroded with an influx of undocumented immigrants.

"I just wish America would be America again because it's not, and it's not just pointed to the Hispanics," Meeks said. "Everybody needs to go through the legal ways."

Other protesters told CNN affiliate KGTV said they wanted immigrants to follow the legal process to enter the United States.

"Everybody that wants to come to this nation is entitled to, but they should come the right way," Bob Cuccio told the news outlet.

"You bring in all these children and they're going to take over our schools," Bel Reeves added. "What's going to happen to the kids that were born and raised here?"

But immigration rights advocate Enrique Morones likened the migration to a refugee crisis and suggested racial antipathy was motivating protesters.

"If these children were from Canada, we would not be having this interview," Morones said. "The parents have had enough. They are saying, 'If I don't send my child north, they are going to die.'"

Last month, the Obama administration unveiled a plan to spend almost $100 million in aid to Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador to help reintegrate the undocumented migrants whom the United States will deport, and to help keep them in their home countries.

The administration also will set aside $161.5 million this year for the Central American Regional Security Initiative (CARSI) programs in an effort to "help stem migration flows as well as address the root cause of the migration," the White House said.

The Obama administration has accused syndicates in Latin America of waging a deliberate campaign of misinformation about relocating to the United States that has caused people in poor Central American countries and Mexico to risk their lives to cross the U.S. border illegally.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The woman I saw chanting NOT OUR KIDS, NOT OUR PROBLEM at buses full of terrified kids seeking refuge absolutely infuriated me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr. Faustus posted:

The poo poo that went down in Murrieta, CA today is probably one of the most upsetting, disgusting, frightening things I've seen in awhile. I am simply at a loss for words. I'll post CNN's take on it just for background, but you have to see the video to appreciate how awful some Americans can be.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/02/us/california-immigrant-transfers/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

wow, that was pretty hosed up. If they didn't have a ton of tea fuckers standing around screaming bigoted poo poo, then i would probably understand their objections more.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Listerine posted:

His degrees aren't medical degrees, they're degrees in biological sciences, and the graduate degrees are not in particularly high demand (Ph.D. in Nutritional ethnomedicine?) in terms of well paying positions. Both these folks have chosen careers that are much more lucrative than following careers in the fields their degrees prepared them for.

Yeah I know why they did it (money), it's just too bad that we live in a society where you are so richly rewarded for doing something so incredibly dumb and harmful instead of something that might be useful to science or art, something you spent years studying for.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 3, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Michael Weiner has a book about homeopathy.

That's all you need to know about Michael Savage's countless degrees in Dumb Bullshit.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Holy poo poo, wow.

They just need to start calling them what they are: refugees, and treating this as a humanitarian crisis that it is.

As North Americans, we always hear about "refugees," but that's always been an "over there" concern about displacement of Asiatic, African, and European continental populations. To see it in North America may shatter some perceptions, because there's so far been no real news on why the Central American nations south of Mexico are in such a state (because it might link to Reagan's gently caress-ups for all we know).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

The woman I saw chanting NOT OUR KIDS, NOT OUR PROBLEM at buses full of terrified kids seeking refuge absolutely infuriated me.

The epitome of "gently caress you, got mine".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The epitome of "gently caress you, got mine".

So NIMBY that it hurts.

Vriess posted:

Holy poo poo, wow.

They just need to start calling them what they are: refugees, and treating this as a humanitarian crisis that it is.

As North Americans, we always hear about "refugees," but that's always been an "over there" concern about displacement of Asiatic, African, and European continental populations. To see it in North America may shatter some perceptions, because there's so far been no real news on why the Central American nations south of Mexico are in such a state (because it might link to Reagan's gently caress-ups for all we know).

"Oh those failed Latino states just need to get their poo poo together and stop exporting people north :bahgawd:"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

skaboomizzy posted:

Please tell me you have video and a name.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think it was a clip from Chris Hayes' MSNBC show tonight.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Levin spent a good deal of today's show trying to prove that birthright citizenship wasn't a thing. It was kind of crazy

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vriess posted:

Holy poo poo, wow.

They're only refugees if they're feeling to a place that is not here.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

skaboomizzy posted:

Remember when Freddy Mercury sang at "gently caress you, Got mine-AID."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Spacedad posted:

Remember when Freddy Mercury sang at "gently caress you, Got mine-AIDS."

Well, it wasn't a popular event for the most of the 80s.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
White Americans are bad people. We just are, as a whole. Sorry.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

From yesterday's "you're not wanted" event

Here's how Fox is reporting on immigration issue

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 3, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

wow, that's some loving irony right there on multiple levels.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

They're not even hiding how much BioShock Infinite called them on their poo poo anymore are they?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

They're not even hiding how much BioShock Infinite called them on their poo poo anymore are they?

All i thought of when i saw that gif was this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU09DYCOWjc

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I expect we'll be hearing Rush and FOX talking about this poll a lot today:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/07/02/who-is-the-worst-president-since-wwii/?hpt=hp_t2

quote:

(CNN) - President Barack Obama tops the list of the worst presidents since World War Two, according to a new national poll.

And the survey, released Wednesday by Quinnipiac University, also indicates that a plurality of voters nationwide say in hindsight that the country would be better off if Mitt Romney had won the 2012 presidential election.

Thirty-three percent of people questioned in the poll say that Obama is the worst president since the Second World War, with 28% saying George W. Bush was the worst. Thirteen percent picked Richard Nixon, with 8% naming Jimmy Carter.

According to the poll, Ronald Reagan (at 35%) tops the list of the best president since WWII, with 18% saying Bill Clinton was best, followed by John F. Kennedy at 15% and Obama at 8%.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/07/02/who-is-the-worst-president-since-wwii/?hpt=hp_t2

As someone else pointed out, it's funny that the percentage of the people that think Romney would have done a better job they are touting is actually 2% less than the amount he got in in the last election's popular vote.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

From yesterday's "you're not wanted" event

The guy who created that image for them must have done the entire thing as a subtle "gently caress you" to Fox News. Now the reporting on it is how Fox ripped off Bioshock and how the game was about a super racist city that treated minorities as subhumans.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

pentyne posted:

The guy who created that image for them must have done the entire thing as a subtle "gently caress you" to Fox News. Now the reporting on it is how Fox ripped off Bioshock and how the game was about a super racist city that treated minorities as subhumans.

Working the Statue of Liberty into your racist, anti-immigration bumper also makes me think this may possibly be the case.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BiggerBoat posted:

I saw this yesterday and rolled my eyes into the back of my head.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BiggerBoat posted:

Kind of like how Fox used to always have the biggest audience share: the right has a narrow spread of preferences. It's like they're bragging about not being able to think for themselves.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I enjoyed the chant of "USA USA USA" at those buses. Thought terminating cliche indeed.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Its my understanding that the busses had to turn around and take another route?

If so, how in the hell did law enforcement let a bunch of assholes block a public road....especially one that goddamned homeland security personnel were traveling on?

All of them should have been handcuffed, pepper sprayed, and maybe roughed up a little. I don't agree with it but a little consistency would be nice.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah when white people do stuff and break the law in groups police arent as compelled to put them down. Especially since the same media machine that keeps them gined up would be quick to decry police brutality on their own audience.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I don't understand why the buses didn't just drive through, I doubt those protesting are ready to get run over for the cause. What a circus. It seems like any other type of protestor would have been dealt with much more harshly.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
So yesterday I heard a lot of the anti-immigrant rage too. I was on a long car ride, so first I got the news, then I got the right wing radio hosts justifying it and then eventually the Limbaugh would-bes celebrating it. At the worst there was one guy raging about all the tuberculosis and leprosy he figures these kids have who was doing his best to paraphrase the 14 words without quite crossing the line. It was some really awful stuff.

Cool thing is though, there was also an NPR piece where they tracked down a mayor at one of the towns in Texas that gets a hell of a lot more migrants than the town where the protesters made a scene. They sat down with the guy and he outlined what his town did when they realized they were having people get dropped off by immigration at bus stops with no where to sleep, no clear idea where they were going or any supplies. They set up volunteer greeters, involved Catholic charities to get people somewhere to sleep overnight, gave people three days rations since their bus trips can be quite long and even ended up coordinating with the border patrol so that they'd know when to expect large crowds. The guy doesn't come across as pro immigration at all, just as some one who recognized they had to do something and that people deserved better.

Anyway, it was cool to hear a story on the subject that wasn't awful and it was a good reminder that not everyone is an rear end in a top hat.

Oh, and don't read the comments.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
In Asheville we have an old contaminated industrial site that folks have been working on trying to get cleaned up for 20 years. The company that used the site and dumped toxic waste on it has skirted doing anything about it since the beginning and I belief at this point NC's statute of limitations for such lawsuits has basically absolved CTS from liability.

What's kind of funny about the whole thing is the other day there was a hearing in Congress where some of our local congressmen got to grill the EPA administrator. The funny framing was "well since the EPA can't immediately agree to clean this up what good are any new environmental regulations!!!". The local AM "Libertarian" douche was taking the same angle when commenting on it yesterday. It's bizarre but not shocking.
It just seems so weird: A company ruined our environment! They can't be held accountable! If you are not going to fix it EPA why do we need more regulations! ....hmmph :colbert:

Here's the article: http://www.wlos.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wlos_nations-top-epa-official-hot-seat-16734.shtml

I also like this:

quote:

Fellow Congressman Patrick McHenry is also a member of the Committee and attended today’s hearing. He took a different tone while asking McCarthy tough questions. At one point he asked the EPA Administrator, "From what we understand from CTS officials, and my constituents have heard from board members of that company, is they've asked and the quote is that ‘CTS is doing everything the EPA has asked them to do’ so there's a credibility problem for the EPA at stake here. What I urge you to do is to work through these issues and deal with that and to take action."

"The company who destroyed the local environment say they've done everything you asked them to, so.... this is your fault...." Yeah dude, CTS is the go to source for reliable information about this issue.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 3, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Is Patrick Henry McHenry calling for more anti-freedom regulations? :colbert:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Does the Statue of Liberty really count as a lighthouse, though?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Technogeek posted:

Does the Statue of Liberty really count as a lighthouse, though?

The head does carry people after being launched into the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD516OENN7s

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Good Citizen posted:

Levin spent a good deal of today's show trying to prove that birthright citizenship wasn't a thing. It was kind of crazy

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing it go. Then we can deport all these entitled, ungrateful shitheads who take it for granted and make room for immigrants who can actually appreciate this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I wish I could find the transcript on this since my wife was the one that told me about it since she listens to right wing media just to check how crazy they are, but apparently Hannity went off on the whole Slenderman thing the other day and said it originated at a "horror site" called SomethingAwful.

So between Beck and Hannity we're apparently a CIA front horror website.