Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Funny story: when my dad has his vasectomy he had mirror placed in the room so he could watch what the surgeon was doing. That is not something I could do - when I had my ingrowing toenails done I tried to watch but ended up reading the paper instead because seeing things getting stuck in places and rolled aside and cut apart without actually feeling all of what was going on just made my skin crawl.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
My last trip to the hospital here ended up with me being sent to see the gynecologist (I don't have a vagina) who didn't know what vitamins are.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

My last trip to the hospital here ended up with me being sent to see the gynecologist (I don't have a vagina) who didn't know what vitamins are.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Real China Experience.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Yes.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Ready to take the stage as world leaders while also not being hegemonic: china - what's a vitamin?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

That doctor probably did know what vitamins are. You were obviously having some sort of communication breakdown in that situation, which means I can't trust you to know what was actually going on. Sorry, Steve.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Well if your balls weren't so little maybe this wouldn't have happened?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Did the doctor know what a vagina was?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Zophar posted:

Looks like I'll be in Laoshan. The school I'm at isn't too far from Qingdao University.

I'll see what I can do about the wisdom teeth. They could reasonably wait a year too, if I can just get fillings.

Edit: my pay will be around 15k rmb/month, so I'll have options.

Laoshan is a lot cheaper than the rest of Qingdao, but also a bit more out of the way with less food/etc.

Which campus of QingDa? The one nearish to the CBD or the one on the other side of Laoshan literally by Laoshan itself?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Vitamins and vaginas are not related except for starting and ending with the same letter.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yanhee International Hospital, Bangkok. Multilingual staff, English fluent Filipino nurses and a 24 hour dental clinic.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Also, go pet tigers n poo poo while your facial swelling heals.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Jeoh posted:

Vitamins and vaginas
Possibly the strangest Dungeons and Dragons variant I've ever played.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Magna Kaser posted:

Laoshan is a lot cheaper than the rest of Qingdao, but also a bit more out of the way with less food/etc.

Which campus of QingDa? The one nearish to the CBD or the one on the other side of Laoshan literally by Laoshan itself?

The former I think. My school's right on the coast.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
So we leave next week, saying good bye to dear sweet Chinar forever (j/k we'll be back in a year YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE). We're flying out of Shanghai for the first time; for a 7am flight, what time would you recommend arriving at the airport? We're driving in the day before and spending the night in the airport hotel so we're a quick walk away from the terminal, but is three hours enough time to get through check-in/security/eat/get to the gate?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

No, don't leave

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

What the gently caress?

Exactly.

I don't know what the deal is with not using anesthetic over here. I know it can be dangerous but given the lack of any safety precautions for anything else ever I can't believe that's the reason.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Three hours is plenty of time, but lines get really dumb long at check in at the t minus 2 hour mark (if you don't have priority boarding). Be at the airline counter at 3 hours before, and go eat a whopper after the security check point.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

TheBuilder posted:

Three hours is plenty of time, but lines get really dumb long at check in at the t minus 2 hour mark (if you don't have priority boarding). Be at the airline counter at 3 hours before, and go eat a whopper after the security check point.

Sweet, is that standard or does it change? Blinky's got a morning flight 'cause he's heading off to Maine, but I'm flying out at noon to Pittsburgh. I know flying OUT of Pitt is a clusterfuck of epic proportions between 9-12, but evening flights are amazingly quick and easy.

Also--vote on best place to get drunk in the airport? I find drinking and flying to be delightful.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

On the plane because it is free and you can chat to flight attendants in the galley as they top you up (they prefer this to having to be called to your seat, and actually don't mind talking to passengers who aren't rude or full of themselves, usually)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Get out while you can. I thought I had a hail mary but they're not going to be done with interviews for another two weeks and I could end up with no visa and no job if I wait for them.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

On the plane because it is free and you can chat to flight attendants in the galley as they top you up (they prefer this to having to be called to your seat, and actually don't mind talking to passengers who aren't rude or full of themselves, usually)

What airline has free booze in economy?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Emirates (ok so posh) and Jet Airways (as far from posh as you can get before hitting Air Transat territory) and Air New Zealand which are the 3 I've flown to/from HK

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Delta has free beer and wine in economy.

I don't remember any of the places in Pudong selling booze, though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Air France does I think? Also doesn't Cathay Pacific have free wine/beer in economy for those really long flights?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

My most recent flight was on Jetstar and they do NOT have free booze.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Well I don't drink much anyway and certainly not while traveling so it never came up for me. I just remember one of the selling points in domestic first class in America is that they have complimentary booze. Maybe the long-hauls have it in economy too? Never checked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't understand drinking on long-haul flights. You're already in a desert environment without enough water, and then you go and drink a bunch of free booze. That's a recipe for a monster headache. Sleeping pills I totally get though. Especially if you're heading back to China, might as well just take all of them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloodnose posted:

Well I don't drink much anyway and certainly not while traveling so it never came up for me. I just remember one of the selling points in domestic first class in America is that they have complimentary booze. Maybe the long-hauls have it in economy too? Never checked.

American airlines suck bad though, so there's that.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't understand drinking on long-haul flights. You're already in a desert environment without enough water, and then you go and drink a bunch of free booze. That's a recipe for a monster headache. Sleeping pills I totally get though. Especially if you're heading back to China, might as well just take all of them.
"Excuse me, steward/ess, may I have a glass of water as well as a beer? Thank you."

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

MeramJert posted:

Air France does I think? Also doesn't Cathay Pacific have free wine/beer in economy for those really long flights?

Cathay Pacific, Etihad, British Airways, KLM, Qantas and Emirates all do that.

Easy Jet and Ryan Air are the people who charge you for air and stuff. I remember asking for coffee and been shocked to pay like 4 pounds. It was even terrible for airline coffee.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

American airlines suck bad though, so there's that.

It's true. The best flights I've had have all been Asian airlines.

United's been good for us, but I suspect we've just had a run of really good luck with it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Get out while you can. I thought I had a hail mary but they're not going to be done with interviews for another two weeks and I could end up with no visa and no job if I wait for them.

That sucks. I'm pretty excited to get out of here for a few years at least, and hopefully when we do come back it won't be to the mainland, but HK or Taiwan.

Looks like we've already got our place lined up in Denver, too, which is a relief. Amusingly it's directly across the street from a Chinese restaurant and on the other side of the apartment building is the university's ESL instruction center. Cosmic irony.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Help South East Asia is too damp, I can actually smell the dampy air and circulated air conditioning.

ally_1986 posted:

Easy Jet and Ryan Air are the people who charge you for air and stuff. I remember asking for coffee and been shocked to pay like 4 pounds. It was even terrible for airline coffee.

Easy Jet, RyanAir, AirAsia, Spring Airlines, or other LCC's don't really count as real airlines though. Still great and cheap. Going from Berlin to Amsterdam, Easy Jet was the only one with direct flights.

It's more like besides American Carriers, which air lines makes you pay for drinks? none :donwsrim:

I paid for extra legroom this time round but I still couldn't sleep very well because they have those bull poo poo sliding seats instead of tilting seats. But the point is moot because everyone on that flight is so tall I couldn't even recline my seat because it just bumps their knees. :smith:

So instead of sleeping I just watched movies and TV for 12 hours. Bloodnose is like Larry from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Anyways Im glad to be back in China land~~~~

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

lol hi caberham, that reminds me that I typed your handle into Google and found that you also post all over Reddit.

TRAITOR

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

What airline has free booze in economy?

Korean Air. Just another reason why they rock. They offer three different beers and a choice between red and white wine in economy, and not just during meal service. Their outfits rock too.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

TheBuilder posted:

Delta has free beer and wine in economy.

I don't remember any of the places in Pudong selling booze, though.

Delta now has free booze in economy class. Actually, I think most carriers have free booze trans pacific now to compete with the Asian carriers.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Sleeping pills mess me up though--nightmares, sleep walking, the whole "things that will get you kicked off a plane" nine yards. Give me three glasses of wine though and I just get sleepy--so I pass out, wake up and read for an hour or so, walk around, and then arrive stateside. As long as you have a full stomach and manage to hydrate well before and after your drinking, it's fine.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm a goon so I play video games on planes. I bougt a 3DS randomly cause I found a nerdy triforce one for 50USD cheaper than it was on Amazon in the states. I did not pull a bloodnose and tell it im using it now.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Can't sleep in public spaces, I read. And drink G&T (or whatever is decent). And flutter my accent until the stewardess brings me an extra meal of some kind.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I'll be in Hong Kong with my family July 13 - 20 and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for restaurants and the like? We're up for pretty much any non-European cuisine and price range.